main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bringing balance to the force

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by Mace_Master, May 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Actually Zepo I'm going to have to disagree with ya on this point. It's not Luke that brings balance to the force, it's Anakin/Vader. Why do I say this you ask?

Luke presents Vader with a choice he doesn't make the choice he only presents an alternative to the Emperor. Had Vader tossed Luke down the shaft which was a distinct possibility the ending would have been much much different. Luke is just the antithesis to the Emperor. Ultimately the choice or the 'balance' is brought about by Vader/Anakin.

And for the Emperor he doesn't really care what happens, he either keeps Vader or gets a new apprentice..Luke. Not exactly the sort of thing that's going to incite loyality in an apprentice I'd say but I digress...

Yes yes, I know. Yoda says there is another. But what if the other is just to ensure that Vader makes the 'right' decision. Neither Luke nor Leia are powerful enough to defeat the emperor either alone or together. Luke's failure to be turned is testimate to the good side of the force. But only Vader can kill the Emperor and that is what brings back balance.

Marcy de la Wampas

2. bwing53

bwing53 Jedi Master star 3

May 7, 2002
    Jedisister--

I guess the only theory I have as to why they would take that risk is that they not only have the dark side "clouding everything" (and threatening to unbalance things), but the republic is falling apart, which they are sworn to protect and serve.
    The republic can break up without the assistance of the dark side (just due to natural differences, yada yada), but through the strength of the light side they can try to hold it together. If they want to save the republic, they need more jedi, or a stronger breed of jedi. They must think that the jedi that offers the best (and last) hope is the midichlorian-rich Anakin. Even they know its a do-or-die, last-ditch risk, but they need to take that risk to avoid destroying all that they stand for (As Yoda says to Luke in ESB when he expresses his desire to save his friends rather than complete his training).

Anyway, I think Marcy's pizza analogy is beautiful, and the tire one ain't bad, either.

And I also have long felt, as Zepo points out, that Anakin bringing balance to the force actually means that he will PRODUCE the jedi that brings balance to the force. Perhaps when a father that is dark creates a son that is "light", and the dark side is defeated by said offspring while at the same time redeeming the father the true prophecy of balance is met.
    For some reason, that just sounds like a prophecy to me. Who could envision that is how the ultimate battle between light and dark would go down? You couldn't make that up (well, you could, but it doesn't sound too likely).

3. Mauler_II

Mauler_II Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    I believe that lucus has already confirmed that Ankin:

1) Brings balance to the force
    2) Is the chosen one
    3) Is the "Son of suns" (or sons)

These were direct from Lucas in different articles over the past few years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.