main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CE16 Bringing $$$ to Celebration/Paying for Things

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Aaron Halvorson, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Aaron Halvorson

Aaron Halvorson Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 13, 2016
    Hey all, does anybody have any idea how best to pay for things I buy at Celebration? Autographs are going to be my biggest expense for this trip. I'm from the USA and not sure whether I should convert a bunch of my American dollars over to European currency (British Pounds) or if I'll be fine by just bringing my credit card and debit card along. I wanna make sure I have enough money for everything. In the scenario that my credit card or debit card don't work, then I'd have physical currency as a backup. How does one go about this? If you all could please share your opinions and/or advice, that'd be greatly appreciated! :)

2. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    I'd say if you have a card that won't charge for foreign transactions then you'll be fine doing most purchases on card. Just make sure you bring some cash (££) for smaller traders or food stalls in case some don't take card.

3. FN-1138

FN-1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 16, 2015
    Most credit cards charge 1.5% or so for international transaction when not used in your home country. That depends of course on your bank, so make sure to check up on that.
    There are ATMs inside the convention centre, but I can imagine there will be queues for them all the time.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, there were long lines for the ATMs at the last CE in ExCel. If you have to draw money, try to find an ATM before you go (like near your hotel). Even better, try to find a NatWest Bank branch - they don't charge a fee for cards that aren't from their bank.
    Also if you don't normally use your cards overseas, be sure to let the card providers know you will be traveling so they don't stop your cards for suspected fraud.

5. michaelsft

michaelsft Jedi Youngling

Aug 25, 2015
    Unlike in the US, no UK bank branch charge a fee for using their machines with another UK banks card (as far as I'm aware at least), the only ones in the UK that do are privately owned and they will tell you when you go to take out money, they usually charge between £1.50 and £3 depending on how greedy the company that owns it is.

You always get charged for drawing money out on a credit card (by the card company) and the interest rates on cash withdrawals are sky high.
    You always get charged an exchange fee for drawing money out overseas (either from a checking/current account or on a credit card).

For someone coming to the UK I recommend getting cash exchanged in advance, bring as much as you feel comfortable carrying and then use your credit cards as much as possible. Try to avoid withdrawing cash in a foreign country, the rates are not favourable at all.

6. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    I've brought a piece of art- The Ahsoka one, and was wondering how much I'll be charged. It was $66 dollars on the website but it'll be being charged to a UK bank account. Do they convert it? Using the current rate? So about £49?

Anyone help?

7. CaptainRegor

CaptainRegor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 15, 2012
    Yes

Darthmaul208 likes this.