main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:SA Brisbane Supanova - 13 to 15 April 2007

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by starfire-phoenix, Nov 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starfire-phoenix

starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 2, 2004
    Yeah, I know it's early.... but what the hey..

http://www.supanova.com.au/

April 13-15, RNA Showgrounds
    Gregory Terrace, Brisbane

The QLDFF are already organising themselves, as are Novus Ordo :)

I hear that BrisNova is twice the size of SydNova :)

2. Darth_Meanders

Darth_Meanders Jedi Master star 5

May 23, 2004
    You're keen SP [face_laugh]

3. starfire-phoenix

Jan 2, 2004
    Well yeah. lol

The shopping will also be good. Red Robot should be there, although I'm not sure about Case Fresh :)

4. oz_skipp

oz_skipp Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2004
    I'm on holidays from the 13th, so we'll see. ;) I'm hopeful.

5. Darth_Meanders

May 23, 2004
    .. whispers to SP ... ... Skip isn't allowed out of the state until the website gets updated [face_shhh]

6. oz_skipp

Apr 20, 2004
    tiptoes past Meanders.... D'oh, caught again. ;)

It's all in hand. Just need to finish a crazy 6 weeks of work before I even think of doing 'stuff' :(

But yeah, if the guest lineup in Brisbane approaches the quality of the one 18 months back, nothing will stop me from attending this one :)

7. Darth_Meanders

May 23, 2004
  8. evil-incarnate

evil-incarnate Jedi Youngling star 7

Jun 30, 2004
    Unless DM pays me to remove a limb from you to prevent you from travelling...

[face_mischief]

9. Darth_Meanders

May 23, 2004
    Hmmmmm .. I don't think we condone that sort of activity on the boards [face_shame_on_you]

We're a non-profit organisation so any limb removal would have to be done as volunteer work. Sorry :(

Edit - We're hijacking SP's thread here. My fault. Lets keep it to Supanova stuff. Carry on.....

10. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    Oooh you have a thread for this yay!

Brisnova is going to be rocking next year! This years was totally awesome, and compared to Sydney, ours is huuuuge! Us Qlders are very friendly, and we'd all be more than happy to show the wonderful out of towners our beautiful city!

Hope you wonderful people can make it, it would be a pleasure to meet y'all!

11. _Master-Skywalker_

_Master-Skywalker_ Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2005
    I'd agree with that !!! I can't wait to catch up with you guys again...you know...Jef, Terry, Luke etc etc... are always welcome here at SAFF if you want to stop in :D

12. Shadowfire

Shadowfire Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 1998
    *waves hand* This is not the Supanova you're looking for.

13. starfire-phoenix

Jan 2, 2004
    ha ha ha, we can go to both! ;)

14. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    Heheh thanks MS I'll be sure to pass that on! Luke's in the QldFF but the others aren't :p

Hahaha Shadowfire, your jedi mind tricks are only for the weakminded! They don't work on me :p

15. Shadowfire

Shadowfire Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 1998
    Do I look like a Jedi to you princess?!

16. starfire-phoenix

Jan 2, 2004
    Well, they have made the first announcement as to who is coming, of course it will be added to and will likely change a few times. lol

http://forum.supanova.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=1282

Billy Dee ?Lando Calrissian? Williams from The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi

Clayton Watson, aka The Kid, from Matrix Reloaded and Matrix Revolutions

Marco Nero, conceptual designer from Happy Feet and 300

Yuri ?Sasuke? Lowenthal from Naruto, Superman from The Legion of Super-Heroes and The Prince from Prince of Persia

Tara ?Temari? Platt from Naruto, Tama from Rave Master and Darcmon from Digimon: Island of the Lost Digimon

David Yardin, supreme artist of the Storm mini-series

17. DarthVercetti

DarthVercetti Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Awesome. Is this ever gonna be in Adelaide? I would love to go but it'd be too expencive ot fly to Brisbane with accomodation and food and everything else i would buy at the convention.....

18. REACTOR_DRONE

REACTOR_DRONE Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2005
    Billy Dee Williams?Better stock up on colt 45.

http://billydeecolt45.ytmnd.com/

19. obi-han-doa

obi-han-doa Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 12, 2005
    pending the cost i may go to this one if not ill try go to supanova in syd

20. DarthVercetti

Oct 18, 2005
    HAHA! Nice REACTOR_DRONE.

21. starfire-phoenix

Jan 2, 2004
    Not likely. There really isn't enough of a fan base in Adelaide to successfully have a large convention. However, I heard talk about how the organisers would like to have one in Melbourne in 2008, so keep an eye out!

22. oz_skipp

Apr 20, 2004
    Hmmm. I went to a Star Trek con (only once, it was a last minute thing ;) ) about 10 years back. 2 guests, heaps of sellers in a big room (at the convention centre I think), lots of stuff on. I think there would have been at least 400 people there and they even ran it on both days of the weekend IIRC.

Can't remember the name of the group that put it on, but I think they ran a few cons in the following years.

I'm convinced that something like Supanova *could* work here. A crossover of SciFi movies/tv guests and Anime type stuff could pull the punters in.

I just found out that I actually will be going on holiday a week before, so if I go, I'm staying in Brisvegas for a little while bfore the con :)

23. starfire-phoenix

Jan 2, 2004
    Hmmmm, that was Starfest, I believe. I went to the last one they had in Adelaide, and I also went to a few more in the following years that were run by other people, and the numbers slowly dwindled down to a trickle before they were revived by the local Star Trek club and the 'Terra Nova' conventions. They did really well to start with, but at their last one, there were only about 50 people there. The one back in May would have gotten between 50 - 100 people. They charge over $100 for entry, so that would help them cover the costs, plus they often share guests between other conventions, including Supanova and Armageddon (in NZ).

300 - 400 is a good number of attendees, but I think the organisers of Supanova aim for thousands of attendees to make it worth their efforts.

AVCon (the local anime and video game convention) seems to do well and they get a lot of people coming through, but they focus on screening stuff and running activities, as opposed to having special guests and signings.

As much as I would love to think that we could get a lot of people to a convention in Adelaide, I honestly don't think we can compete with Sydney and Brisbane.

I think that if they thought they could have made money having one in Melbourne, they would have done it sooner, and Melbourne has a larger fan base than Adelaide does, and they will always get people travelling from Adelaide and Sydney to attend.

I would be overjoyed if we got such cool stuff here, but based on what I have seen, it doesn't seem likely :(

24. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    I went to something here about 13 or so years ago, paid $26 a head to get in and met Marina Sirtis......was great.

25. DarthVercetti

Oct 18, 2005
    We should get everyone in SAFF to get themselves and anyone they know to email the SupaNova guys (and gals) asking for it to be in Adelaide, just to show that Adelaide could pull the numbers. And if we're luck we could get some of our NSWFF friends to say they'd happily travel to SA to attend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.