main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Broadband in the UK

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Darth_MacDaddy, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    I'm looking to go on to Broadband and was ready to go onto Freeserve (whom I was with before on my dial-up), but they ****** me off with crappy customer service before they had even activated my line, so I told them to shove it.

Now I'm looking at a new ISP, and the one that has caught my attention is the BT Yahoo Broadband deal.

Just wondered what my fellow FFUK surfers think is the best DSL Broadband service provider. Remember I'm a cheap-skate so cost is everything.

2. Yoshee

Yoshee Former RSA & CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2002
    I have Blueyonder Broadband, and so far am very impressed with it. £25 a month anytime deal too.

3. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    BT is by far the best.. though the Yahoo stuff seems to consist of a reskinned IE.

UKS

4. Darth_Imran

Darth_Imran Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    NTL is supposed to be very good.

5. Moylesy

Moylesy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2001
    Just had my first problem with BT Openworld (since January), not impressed with thier Customer Service/Technical Support at all. Apart from that it has been fine although subject to slowdown at busy periods.

6. Stormtrooper_fan

Stormtrooper_fan Jedi Master star 5

Aug 23, 2003
    I've been on NTL for about 2 months now and they are fantastic... 150k broadband for £17.99 / month (though when I get sorted I'm going up to 600k). Their customer service is excellent I've never had a problem with them... yet ;)

Freeserve are the reason I went to NTL because Freeserve decided they wanted to cut me off every 5 minutes on dial up and then not answer any e-mails and were THE most unhelpful buffons I've ever come accross when you phoned customer services.

7. Ramble_Boba

Ramble_Boba Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2002
    I live in the land of no broadband. My mates all have it in town on NTL, but cable doesn't come out to the villages and it looks like the village exchanges will only be adsl enabled in about 2 years. It's just not fair, everything takes an age. I've heard NTL can be crap though

8. G_Lucas_8_my_hamster

G_Lucas_8_my_hamster Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    NTL wins hands down- the best out of a bad bunch it seems!

9. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    Only problem with NTL is they provide broadband in few areas.

10. Darth_MacDaddy

Apr 10, 2003
    A few mate have got NTL, but my dad won't have em chewing the lawn up when they put the cable in, so I'm restricted to Broadband down the phone-line.

Cheers for your suggestions ;)

11. G_Lucas_8_my_hamster

G_Lucas_8_my_hamster Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    they chew it up and then put it back- after awhile ya would never know they had been there.

12. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Tiscali is a good one in that case :)

13. Darth_MacDaddy

Apr 10, 2003
    they chew it up and then put it back- after awhile ya would never know they had been there.

Yeah, but this is me dad we're talking about here, I'm not even allowed to stand on the lawn so I think he would frown heavily on some pie-head who hes never met ripping the lawn up. I have tried your arguement with little success.

Tiscali is one I have looked at, but I've struggled to see what people think of it - they must only have about 10 customers!

Its funny that no-one has said anything about Freeserve!!

14. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    lol I know a few others besides me on Tiscali and I've not had a problem with it.

15. MasterChapRimera

MasterChapRimera Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Fear me and my super fast university connection!

16. Darth_MacDaddy

Apr 10, 2003
    Yeah University connections are pretty quick, and best of all...

... its free :D

How do you think I amass all these posts with the Internet at home? ;)

Ok, ok I do have crappy dial-up at home, but that doesn't count!

17. MasterChapRimera

MasterChapRimera Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I've got it in my room so its not free, but its only £50 for the year so its a lot cheaper than broadband.

18. Darth_MacDaddy

Apr 10, 2003
  19. Marker

Marker Jedi Youngling

Oct 9, 2003
    I've had NTL for around 3 years. The thing with NTL is... when it's working... it's great, but when there's a problem, customer service isn't too hot. However.. value for money is better than most. I actually bought my cable modem, so it's cheaper for me.

20. Darth_MacDaddy

Apr 10, 2003
    From what I have read around the Web and from speaking to people, Customer Service seems to be a recurring problem for Broadband ISPs, i.e. its slow, expensive, you talk to morons on the phone etc.

BTW I'm not calling Customer Service phone operators morons, just anopinion that seems to be circulated alot.

Although the guy I spoke to at Freeserve :mad: I think of a better word than moron...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.