main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Broken Allegiance Post Production & Visual Effects doco official feedback thread

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Vidman, Sep 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarlCampbell

CarlCampbell Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 28, 2002
    I speculate one blooper will be an erroneous yank at Calis when Thor does the force push. I bet the guys operating the cable pull to hard or something, or she swing back and knocks Thor down, like the cliché sandbag scene :D

Carl

2. Avene

Avene Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    I enjoyed this documentry almost as much as the movie itself. Infact, I can imagine that in future I'll probably be watching this more than the movie. Any behind the scenes interviews are always great reference material for anyone working on their own film/s. So a big thanks to Nick and the rest of the BA crew for putting together these behind the scenes docos.

As for the DVD, will that just be for those who worked on the film? As far as I'm aware Lucasfilm don't allow anyone to profit from fan films based in the Star Wars universe.

3. CarlCampbell

Jul 28, 2002
    Yes, Avene, the BA will only be handed out to close friends/family, cast/crew and other people that have collaborated in this project.

Carl

4. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    i think i liked it MORE than the movie itslf.

5. Jedi_Cougar

Jedi_Cougar Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 14, 2001
    Best Documentary yet. Really enjoyed it.

6. mpfjr

mpfjr Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 8, 2001
    Site was up and very fast yesterday but today I can't access it at all. Keeps timing out.

Grrr.

7. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Very nice documentary. I have one question. Did you pretend to be editing in front of the computer (you know those shots of both guys editing day and night). LOL, worthy of a Cinefex photo where you always have 2 guys in front of the computer, usually one standing up and pointing. It looked abit staged ;-).

Seriously it was fantastic. Even though it was extremely in depth it showed more than I expected.

8. CarlCampbell

Jul 28, 2002
    Malducin, thats exactly what I was thinking. But its nothing to be ashamed of at all... docos are almost a movie in themselves aren't they? A little acting always comes along nicely... I dunno if this was the case, I'm just saying that if you're working on a project without docos in mind later on, you don't go filming some random work hours... or do you? If I had to stage a scene like that, I'd put the camera behind the screen like in this doco and point to the screen, and as the whole thing is silenced I could say something like "Login to TFN, lets see if TAC or Homer are bothering the newbies again..." :D

Carl

9. christmastom

christmastom Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2002
    I think this is the best doco yet! It really shows all of the effort that went in the making of this film and the degree of professionalism that went into is making. For the verious effects like the explosions and steam that you shot against a black screen, did you hang a black sheet or whatever and not light it at all?

10. Kol_Niko

Kol_Niko Jedi Youngling star 1

May 13, 2001
    Fantastic to say the very least. I liked the sunset shot on coruscant. Very impressive and inspiring. My jaw dropped when I heard "four computers rendering day and night." :eek: Great Stuff! Thanks for sharing.

Jeff

11. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    Wow, now I can see I will have a hard time beating those effects.

12. ChrisHanel

ChrisHanel Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 2002
    Another excellent doco... I still wanna know if the shots of editing were real or just Nick going,

"Okay, let's look like we're discussing something on the screen... okay, now let's look pleased with our job well done... great. Next shot tonight to make it look like we do this 12 hours at a time..." :)

There's a gag reel coming? Joy! I wanna see Vader trip on his cape and fall. That's all i ask. Just something about a Sith Lord being a klutz makes milk come out of my nose... even if i'm not drinking milk. PLEASE bring forth the glory!

-Chris

13. Vidman

Vidman Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 18, 2001
    Yes ok I confess, the editing shots of Steve and I was something we mocked up specifically for the purpose of this doco to show the many hours put into editing. We know it comes over a little staged, but hey, it gets the point across.

14. Mushiman

Mushiman Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 8, 2002
    Hey Vidman,

Great documentary :)

I have a question though - the coffee mug - when you filmed it was it cold (winter - not the water) or did the steam just show up when correctly lit against a black background?

Mushi ;)

15. Lone_Padawan

Lone_Padawan Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2001
    Are you ever going to post deleted scenes on the internet? Just a thought.

What about that deleted model- I really liked that :D

16. Vidman

Jan 18, 2001
    Deleted Scenes are already online and downloadable - and have been for quite some time.

The trick with filming steam, smoke or any kind of vapor, is that it only shows up on camera when back-lit.

It's all in the lighting.

17. Ulric

Ulric Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2002
    I'm lazy and while I downloaded the doco when it came out, I only watched it last night.

I really enjoyed it. I'm especially happy for the editor guy who got to do cool new things :)

However, I'm curious about the green screen part; the discussion of the problems of DV footage suggest that rotosplines had to be used. Is this true - was this done for all shots?

There are tricks to works around the chroma sampling problems, for example Digital Fusion had a filter that will smooth out the stepping in the chroma, an in Shake what you would do is convert the image to YUV and blur the U & V channels. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with AfterFx, but it's my understanding there are many DV-optimized plug-ins.

I thought the CG in Broken Allegiance was very good, and it's even more impressive when you see how the shots were put together.

I know people pointed out things like ships moving too slow and such, but the part that bothered me was actually the crew pit in the Destroyer. The problem I have with it is that a lot of trouble when into keying people in there, to put stars and reflections in the windows, etc, but the CG lighting in the crew pits makes the background look very CG, while it could have been lit very dramatically. Of course, it probably looks different with the gamma of a TV set.

18. Vidman

Jan 18, 2001
    Rotoscoping was only done on the extreme wide shots where the actors appeared head to toe in frame. Anything that was mid shot (head to waist) or tighter was keyed normally.

The main trick we used was the tutorial available at http://www.neopics.com/bluescreen/ this certainly helped a lot of our keys which were done in Combustion, which we found to produce the best results.

19. MasterZap

MasterZap Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2002
    Bluescreening DV:

PAL DV and NTSC DV is different in this regard too.

PAL DV uses 2x2 pixel blocks for the chroma sampling, while NTSC DV uses 4x1 horizontal blocks of pixels instead.

/Z

20. Mushiman

Jul 8, 2002
    So which would be best - PAL or NTSC ?

I have Pal

Mushi ;)

21. MasterZap

Aug 11, 2002
    I'd suggest donning the opinion that PAL is better :)

/Z

22. Mushiman

Jul 8, 2002
  23. MasterZap

Aug 11, 2002
    I mean c'mon, we PAL-heads have film-like frame rate, higher resolution per frame, and a better (IMHO) color sampling structure. How can we complain? ;)

I'd suggest most people doing fanfilms or any form of "film" using DV equipment should think about getting the PAL version, even though they may live in the US. But maybe thats just me being biased.... :D

/Z

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.