BROKEN ALLEGIANCE Remastered Edition -- now online!

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Vidman, May 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. NickLong Jedi Master

star 4
    yeah, this is very LucasFilm with the whole "remastered"

the next one'll have THX remastered, then special edition, then Digitally remastered by ILM...

and it'll go on, and on, and on...

:p

anyway,

Nick "Shorty" Long
  2. JediTAC Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    icicle:
    Well, I didn't get to see this thread until now .. and I honestly have to say that I am pretty disappointed in your attitude. You can call it what you like ... but to me it sounds like sour grapes..

What right do you have to criticize Vidman's personal choice for wanting to "re-master" his film?

Then you go on to gripe, (yes, let's call a spade a spade ... you were griping)... about how SOD could be a lot "better" if you re-mastered it. Well, the choice not to re-master it is pretty much your personal choice. It is pretty illogical of you to complain about Vidman's personal chioce to put forth the effort to re-master his film just because you choose not to take that route.

So, maybe you should write a letter to George Lucas and tell him how "unprofessional" he is for releasing the Special Editions for the original Trilogy films.

I don't know how many times we are going to have to go over this argument with you ......
    We are not judged by professional standards here. These are FanFilms ... made by Fans for Fans. If Vidman chooses to re-work his film in response to several of the comments made by the FANS who compose the audience for which the film was intended ... then he is satisfying the very basis and spirit in which this website and Forum are based. It's all about THE FANS.

I just wish this simple concept would sink in with you .... make the best film with the resources you have available to you. If a filmmaker has the ability to elicit the help from friends of his who happen to work "in the business," then MORE POWER TO HIM. It doesn't necessarily make it any less of an amateur production ... PLAIN AND SIMPLE. It is pointless to continuously argue and complain about people who have the good fortune to be able to utilize certain equipment, locations, sets, skilled friends, editing equipment, etc .... complaining that it is not "fair" that their films should be shown along side those who were made with a VHS camcorder and a home computer. BOTH efforts were endeavored out of a labor of love and fandome for Star Wars, and wanting to create something within the SW Universe.

The more and more people gripe and complain about this type of thing, the more and more obvious the real issue rears it's ugly head .... jealousy and envy. If it were otherwise, this stupid argument wouldn't keep surfacing time and time again.

The bottom line is ... do whatever you want with your film. If you ever decided to come out with a Seeds of Darkness SPECIAL EDITION, I doubt that many (if any) people would be complaining about the fact that you chose to do so.

I just do not understand why you felt the need to rain on Vidman's parade this way?
    Not very respectful or considerate, if you ask me. [face_plain]

JediTAC
  3. Vidman Jedi Knight

star 2
    For the record:

All the changes that were made to this 'remastered edition' were things I wanted to do for the film even before a lot of the posts were made on the forum. Hearing people comment on them only spurred me on to definately fix them.

The reason we released the film when we did was because I wanted BA out there 1 month before AOTC hit cinemas. With the new film coming SW fans are craving their fix and to some extent BA has taken advantage of the pre-release of AOTC's hype. Should BA been released after AOTC I don't believe the reaction or response would have been as great because lets face it, next to the real McCoy, BA is a very poor second.
    As a result we decided to release a month prior where the timimg was right, but the film still needed a few minor polishes. Rather than releasing it now, less than a week before the new SW film, which would have overwhelmed BA completely.

To be honest I dont think there is any pleasing some of the audience at the TFN forums. People will bitch and moan about things regardless. I swear some people just arent happy unless they have something to complain about.

I truly appreciate all the constructive comments that were made about BA when it came out and I would hope that by actually listening to the opinions of fans to make a better film would be something that people would find gratifying... that their opinion does mean something.

Anyway, BA is now complete and its the version I am happy with. Hope you all enjoy the film.
  4. JediTAC Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    GOOD FOR YOU, Vidman. :D

and CONRADULATIONS ....... AGAIN. ;)
  5. VanB Jedi Padawan

Everything was done in direct response to people's input from the forum. Some great observations were made - it is democratic film-making in action! I can understand the argument that the "original" BA is what was put out there...so is it "right" to alter a piece of work and be able to resubmit it back for public consumption; rarely if ever do creators get that luxury. But this was purely about making cosmetic improvements to something made by the fans, for the fans. And the end result is a definite improvement because of the amazing attention to detail and passion you guys have for the Star Wars Universe.

6. Fremen Jedi Knight

star 3
    OK, I find that the movie was an interesting use of a dynaminc fytaminter.

;)
    Kyle
  7. Wookie Pnub Force Ghost

star 1
    Poor Vidman...you just can't win, can you?

You lamented that some people will always complain. Welcome to George's world...or any other filmmaker. You'll never please everybody, so don't even fret about it for one second. (I applaud you for fixing many of the little things that irked me about the film.)

As for 'tinkering' I say more power to ya. The only time I hate MAJOR changes are when I loved the original and can't get it any more. Fixing little mistakes is no big deal.

Case in point:

Planet of the Apes (remake) The continuity problems in the final minutes of the film were fixed for the DVD release. Makes me happy. :)

Whereas if the original SW films are never available on DVD I'll be very sad. :(
  8. Waylynne Jedi Knight

star 2
    "A film is never finished... just abandoned..."

As has been mentioned previously, in this age of desktop NLEs, and prosumer DV cameras it's very easy to "finish" that film later on...

Take into account the fact that Vidman is a self-confessed freak - who will actually spend 18 hours straight (or something like that anyway) editing a film just so he CAN meet a deadline - and it shouldn't be any surprise that he has "finished" his film sooner than later... It shows how much dedication he has to this project...

Now, of course, if another "remastered" edition comes out in a few weeks - then we can all get concerned for his mental health... But until then just enjoy the damn film and quit bitching... And if you didn't enjoy the film - just sod off!

:D
  9. DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Oh man, Icicle, you really riled TAC up. He pulled out the markup codes on you. :p

I think it's great to see a director giving the fans what they want to see (and hear! Much better musical transitions! :) ). Thank you once again, Vidman, this is a favorite.

But for the record, I'm keeping BOTH on my computer. :D

M. Scott
  10. icicle Jedi Knight

star 1
    Jeditac,
    I don't kknow what you think you are talking about. I have no issues with professionalism or budget or anything related to the resources that are used to make a fanfilm. This thread was simply about releasing a finished product. If in 2 weeks time you can do that much better why not wait and release it properly? That's all. And I use refereneces to SOD as an example. Not that I want to change it.

I think you are confusing this thread with one a while back. So lighten up ok? Geez.....

:)
  11. icicle Jedi Knight

star 1
    As I read over Jeditac's ignorant post once again I find it harder and harder not to just go off like he does. However......I will repeat myself for clarity.

I never mentioned anything about budget, resources or anything relating to anything being fair. I have no issues with any of this as I believe I stated in an earlier post in this thread. And I blatantly stated that Vidman has a right to do whatever he wants with "his" film. I respect that. I also stated that I have a right to disagree with it too.

This should have plain and simple been a discussion about how to handle film releases. Sure....this is just a silly board with some fans making films using other peoples intellectual property. Just the same I have a feeling of conviction that when you release a film that it be finished! That's my opinion. You don't have to subscribe to it. The fact that I made reference to my film is just as an example. I could easily have used Knighquest or Dark Skies as reference but that isn't my right. I referred to SOD and I guess because of that I am "jealous or envious". However if I hadn't mentioned SOD ( or not made it altogether) I would have gotten flamed because I've never made a film so I have no right to weigh in on the subject. I was under the impression that you work hard on a film and then release it in the best condition that you can. Sure.....down the road you could make a special edition or a remastered version to add things that were left out or tweak things that bothered you.

I simply feel that Vidman could have waited a few weeks ( I now understand the theory in getting it out before AOTC) and released it tweaked completely rather than releasing a film that has a few quirks (none of which were show stoppers). But he is entitled to do what he wants! Either way it was an awesome film! I have no problem with the movie at all and I am not criticizing the film in any manner.

Also JediTac, if I chose to release a "Special Edition" of Seeds of Darkness and someone commented on how they feel that a finished piece of work should be left alone that would be ok too. That is their opinion and they are entitled to it. And as far as your comments about this issue coming up over and over again...... I believe this is the first time a film has been re-released 2 weeks after it's debut. So this hasn't been rehashed over and over. If you choose to make this about budgets or resources that is your mistake. That's not what I was addressing.

And by the way....I am not raining on anyone's parade JediTac. In case you didn't realize it any publicity is good publicity. So even if we are talking about BA in a controversial way we are at least talking about it. Therefore giving it some more attention.

I am trying to be respectful and intelligent about this issue. However if Tac continues to behave and post in his "almighty-throwing down the gauntlet" manner I may be forced to mudsling with him. For the time being I am trying not to.

12. Fremen Jedi Knight

star 3
    Its so quiet....must...break...silence....with...something that people hate....EV...grrrr.

ok I hope I broke the ice, though I am sure I didn't. JediTAC, don't hurt me :_|

;)
    Kyle
  13. sqerl Jedi Knight

star 1
    Freman -

Just thought I'd join you in the Polar Bear Club :D

I think we can surmise the thread so far as follows:
    Vidman - re-releases his fan film
    Icicle - doesn't think it was "proper" to do so.
    Everyone Else - loves the film, comments of the great improvements
    JediTac - opens another can of whoopass
    Vidman - takes a bow and thanks everyone
    icicle - continues to lament over re-releasing a fan film is not proper
    Everyone Else - "not enough time to post - too busy downloading and enjoying the re-release

:p

icicle - no offense and I don't mean to offend... but... this is the re-release of the BA thread... Maybe we should have another forum where we can discuss the "correct procedure" for release our fan films so we don't upset more people. Perhaps a tutorial is in order?

Sorry Vidman, didn't mean to spam your thread... again, good work!
  14. Plague Jedi Knight

star 1
    Im still downloading the new edition of the film (damn dial up I really need to get a cable modem). As far as all the talk good or bad vidman just look at it this way, it means you have TONS of people who are watching the film you made. I say just sit back and enjoy what you have made. If you are happy with what you have out then that is all that matters now.

I enjoyed this movie just as much as I did seeds of darkness,knightsquest and jedi academy,weather they were a high budget movie or a low budget it think they are all good. I say hats off to all of you for all the hard work on your films that were jobs well done. Cant you all just kiss and make up hehehe j/k
  15. icicle Jedi Knight

star 1
    I simply proposed that it would have been nice to have had a finished version from the initial release. I am not trying to beat a deadhorse here. I am not saying it is not proper. I have repeated that Vidman is entitled to do whatever he wants. I don;t have to agree with the concept though.

However the latest posts are in response to JediTac's whoopass blast over issues that aren't even valid on this thread and that I didn't even bring up. I really have nothing else to say about the re-release. I don't agree with changing a finished film. That is my opinion. I don't like it even when big time studios do it. That's all. I don't agree with colorizing old B&W films or ET special Edition or Star Wars Special addition. That's just an opinion. Everyone can do whatever they want though.

Unless JediTac disagrees. Then you have to do what he thinks is right.

16. swmaster Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hats off to JediTac and Vidman!
    Icicle just let it be, its over.

Every one else agree?

SWmaster
  17. Fremen Jedi Knight

star 3
    *covers ears* MAKE IT STOP!! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!! :p

;)
    Kyle
  18. icicle Jedi Knight

star 1
    SWMaster,
    Hats off to Vidman indeed! Hell of a good show.

But why the hell would I take my hat off to JediTac? All he did was jump into this thread and take it completely out of context and blast me with a bunch of ludicrous remarks. He can kiss my ass!

Initially I came off a little strong when I professed my dislike for BA being re-released so soon. I apologize for those comments that were a bit sarcastic. I still however would rather have seen it done right from the get go. No problem though. It's over. I aplaud Vidman for his efforts.

But JediTac can go service a nerfherder for all I care. A scruffy looking one at that! Why the hell would you suggest we take our hats off to him? Cause he sticks his ignorant opinions in every place he can and tries to force everyone to conceed to his "brilliance"????

19. Ryusui Jedi Knight

star 1
    Actually, it seems as if that post was addressing you alone, icicle. On top of that, you call him "ignorant." Seemingly stating that you have a right to whatever opinion you want (which in this case - originally at the very least - pretty much flamed Vidman) but TAC doesn't have the right to his.
    It may just be me, but I'm picking up a hint of hypocracy from your direction.

Incidentally, I thought SOD was a pretty good fan film. Congrats to you and your cast & crew on such a fine film.
  20. Fremen Jedi Knight

star 3
    grrrrrrrrr, this thread was almost dead!

Would you shut up!! Wait that sounds familiar.. :p

Not being mean or rude or anything but I saw no point to saying something like that, after this post was on page 2 wasn't it? or at least at the bottom of 1. Either that or its just me.

I must defend JediTAC! He is my master! man...I HAVE to stop talking to him :p

;)
    Kyle
  21. JediTAC Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Can I help it if icicle wants to be me? :D

Hey icicle .... seems to me that the reason you are getting so upset is because, so far, most people have agreed with me instead of you. I mean ... I pretty much posted once in this thread ... reasonably and accurately pointed out the discourtesies in your original rant, and then you proceed to whine on and on about me.

Would you please stop whining already. [face_plain]
  22. icicle Jedi Knight

star 1
    JediTac,
    This is almost comical now. You are right. The majority of this ongoing rant is about your comments. While you hit the nail on the head about Vidman having the right to do whatever he wants with his film you were totally off the mark in "most" of your thread. I had no issues or beefs with most of the things that your thread "dogged" on me about. That is the only issue here. And I guess if you want to make a post attacking me and then just leave the thread that is your right. I actually have a lot of respect for the posts you have made in the past and your "usually" spot on reviews of films.

Barring the fact that I was initially sarcastic in the first post in this thread, it would be nice if someone would acknowledge that I have since stated that I respect Vidmans right to do this. I wouldn"t do it myself and would prefer for other fan filmakers to release a finished project or at least label it as a "test" or "beta". But I respect that everyone can do what they want. Sorry that this has gotten drug through the mud. I have tried again and again to be respectful about the initial subject of this thread. I was not respectful however toward Tac as he was direcly disrepectful towards me. That doesn't make it right. But at least I'll admit to it.

23. DarthKyp99 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Moving on from here. Great job on the film and the remake.
  24. Avene Jedi Master

star 4
    Arrgghh, if I knew a remastered edition was being made, I would have made a few suggestions in my original posts about the film. Too late now. With how good the film looked, making minor criticisms about certain things that didn't look right didn't seem like the thing to do at the time.
  25. ExFilms Jedi Master

star 4
    JediTAC and Icicle should team up. They're almost two of the same breed. Icicle is like a suicide bomber, coming into an innocent thread and blowing it to bits. TAC is the kamikaze pilot, accurately pinpointing a post like Icicle's out of dozens of threads...then blowing it to bits.

Same results, different markup codes. :)
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.