main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Broken Chains A Rebels Short story - Complete - Kanan and Hera, again.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by DarthBreezy, Jul 21, 2017.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_dancing] Yay, that's the best place for Kanan. You can really tell Ahsoka's goodness and caring as she arranges things. And [face_laugh] Sabine, Zeb, and Ezra -- they like to snark but they genuinely care about Hera and Kanan. :* A wonderful tight family of the heart. :)

AzureAngel2 and Findswoman like this.
  2. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Yeah, I agree... Let's see if he gets there! ;)

She tries, but you have to admit, this family is an unknown quantity to her, still.

Yeah, they love each other all right, I have to admit, I think Sabine definitely takes after Hera! [face_laugh]

3. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Kanan nodded as she left, eased himself out of the bed, and opened the closet. The only article of clothing – or what could be considered clothing – was a seedy looking robe that had probably been washed sometime during the last decade, and last worn by a wookiee with an anger issue. It would hang on him, look ridiculous. Kanan didn’t care. He would walk through the ship naked if he had to.

He was going home.

Kanan is a true Jedi still, living the moment. Not caring about something unimportant like clothing.

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  4. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002

I think he's just had it up to his eyeballs!

Soon though!

5. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    At last....

Chapter 7

It had only been a matter of a few minutes, but to Kanan, it had seemed like an eternity between Ahsoka’s disappearance and reemergence with the medical droid, and when they did appear, Kanan once again was put on edge.

No,” he’d said firmly. “Absolutely not.”

Ahsoka had been impassive as usual, and if a droid could shrug, it would have.

It is recommended by the doctor,” it said tonelessly. “A mild anti-anxiety medication -”

Kanan crossed his arms, frowning, the ridiculously short sleeves of the robe almost rising to his elbows. “No.”

-to also enable you to rest once you’ve been released,” the droid continued, unperturbed. “It is advised, but not required.”

Then it’s settled,” Kanan said firmly. “No more kriffing drugs.”

I told Doctor Magare that you would probably be, well, adverse to the suggestion,” Ahsoka interjected with a wry smile. “But I assured him you’d be well taken care of by your captain once you got back to your ship.”

An arched eyebrow was the only reply Kanan could give. Ahsoka hadn’t broached the subject of his relationship with Hera during their conversation, but still, there was something in her face...

He sighed. “Are we done here? My cabin and my captain are waiting for me...”

Now it was Ahsoka’s turn to raise her brows. “Like that? Are you sure you don’t want to get some real clothing first?”

Kanan pulled the tie around his waist a bit tightener, his chest and torso still mostly exposed, his bare feet padding his way to the exit. As he interned to drop the offending article of clothing the very second he reached his cabin, the answer was clear.

Let’s go.

Find who?” Sabine asked. “Kanan is supposed to be released later on, and Hera’s already been released from duty so she can go get him and bring him back to the Ghost -”

When did ya find this out?” Asked Zeb, scratching his head. “I swear, you guys don’t tell me anything!” Sabine just rolled her eyes. “Anyway, I got some help from the guys in the galley here on the Sunrise. This group – Phoenix Squadron – they’re a pretty good bunch...”

Wait! Wait! Wait!” Ezra stammered. “If Zeb’s already got the food taken care of -”

And the drink!” Zeb added proudly. “Told ya I didn’t lose that much,” he paused thoughtfully. “Well, I might owe some favors down th’ road a piece, but still...”

And Hera’s already made plans to get Kanan home...”

Yes...” Said Sabine and Zeb in unison.

So what are we supposed to be doing?” Ezra threw up his arms in frustration, the need to find Ahsoka set aside. “I mean, we really can’t go back to the Ghost – not if we really want Hera to rest, and Kanan – if he thinks something’s up -”

Well, some of the new recruits asked if I could do some art for their uniforms,” Sabine chimed in. “You know, make them feel like part of the group. That’ll keep me busy for a few hours at least.”

I could use some help actually preparing the dinner,” said Zeb. “I mean, they gave me use of the galley, but it’s still kinda hard for me ta’ work in that small space -”
    You can cook on the Ghost -” Ezra pointed out, but Zeb shook his head.

Ya wanna help or not?”

Of course I do!”

Right then!” Sabine said cheerily. “Why don’t we meet back here at 15oo ship time, and get stuff ready then?”

I’ll double check with Hera in about an hour,” said Ezra, wanting to do something more than just ‘help cook’. “Maybe even go with her to get Kanan.”

Sabine smiled and nodded, before lightly punching him on his good arm. “Sounds like a good plan!”

Come on then, Kid,” said Zeb, getting up. “And don’t even think about sampling the drink – the last thing I need is Kanan wantin’ my head for not lookin’ after ya...”

Kanan forced himself to concentrate on staying steady as he and Ahsoka walked through the corridors of the Sunrise, ignoring the stares and whispers of the few crew members they passed.

He just did not care.

When they reached the airlock, Ahsoka once again asked if he was all right, and after assuring her that he was, she turned to leave, but Kanan called after her.

Ahsoka,” he said somewhat sheepishly. “I… I want to thank you – for everything...” There was so much more he wanted to say – to tell her – but the words stuck in his throat. He just couldn’t...

She smiled at him, perhaps more broadly and more genuinely than he had ever seen, as if to say how much she understood, and left him standing there without another word.

He took a deep breath, and let it out slowly. The smell of grease, and ionized air, and the lingering whiff of spicy noodles and yes, even wet lasat – the smells of home - greeted his nostrils, and he allowed himself to lean in the door way, just for a moment.

A part of him relished the relative quiet of the Ghost, for even Chop seemed to be absent - Probably helping Hera down below, he thought to himself, and he resisted the urge to reach out through the Force to find her. He found his body’s reserves were reaching their limits, and inwardly prayed for the strength to make it to his cabin, To be found on the floor of the Ghost was in invitation to return to the Med bay, and Kanan was having none of that.

His own cabin, his on bed is what he needed, and by the Force he’d make it there, even if he had to drag himself by his fingernails…

It seemed to take an age, and when he finally did reach his cabin he was ready to drop, but he’d made it at last. It was dark, and blessedly quiet, and it was more by luck than anything else that he sat on the edge of his bed rather than right in the middle of it,

Even without extending his senses, he knew in an instant the warm shape that took up almost half the space, and his heart and soul filled with joy, and a new found… life, energized him.

Slowly and quietly, he leaned over and kissed the side of her head, and she stirred, ever so slightly.

Kanan?” she mumbled sleepily as he kissed her again. “Kanan?”

If you were expecting someone else,” he murmured into her earcone, climbing into the bunk with her. “Sorry to disappoint...”

Hera tried to wiggle around to face him, but Kanan was having none of that – yet. He wrapped his arms and legs around her with surprising strength and quickness.

Nope,” he said, his voice low and husky. “I happen to like you like this… well almost like this...” he amended, tracing a circle around her exposed navel with his fingertips. “These thermals have to go...”

She laughed softly, but made no move to undress any farther. “Well, for a start, I wasn’t expecting you to be released from the Med center this soon and well, to be honest, this… healthy...“ She grabbed his hand, and brought it to her lips to kiss it. “Kanan...”

I’m fine, Hera,” he tried to assure her. “Better than fine, really… Now...” He caressed her chin. Her throat. She hummed as his finger tips traced back down to her belly again, and the tantalizingly bare skin there. It was comforting to both of them. Soothing. Lulling.

Kanan closed his eyes.

His last thought was only one word.

Home.

Findswoman and CairnsTony like this.
  6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    :) [face_sigh] SQUEE! That last scene -- scrumptious. :D

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  7. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Kanan?” she mumbled sleepily as he kissed her again. “Kanan?”

If you were expecting someone else,” he murmured into her earcone, climbing into the bunk with her. “Sorry to disappoint...”

Hera tried to wiggle around to face him, but Kanan was having none of that – yet. He wrapped his arms and legs around her with surprising strength and quickness.

Nope,” he said, his voice low and husky. “I happen to like you like this… well almost like this...” he amended, tracing a circle around her exposed navel with his fingertips. “These thermals have to go...”

I like the playfulness that you grant their relationship despite all the gravity that goes on in the universe. Their love is like a bright star in the sea of darkness. Thank you!

8. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002

Oh my! well if THAT made you squee....

Thank you! A little more brightness ahead, and a touch of the 'man flu'... [face_devil]

9. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Chapter 8

Hera stayed very still for perhaps twenty minutes after Kanan’s fingertips stopped moving, just listening to his soft, even breathing. Unfortunately, spirian caf had the universal effect on Hera as any other organism, and despite the warm comfort of the bed, she desperately needed a trip to the refresher. With great reluctance, she unwound herself from Kanan’s embrace, and slowly and carefully climbed over him. Halfway over, she paused. In real, natural sleep, the tension, the fine lines that couldn’t be smoothed away with sedatives were gone, and for the first time in days, he looked as if he were truly resting.

My poor love, Hera thought, she couldn’t resist gently stroking his cheek and gasped when he grabbed her wrist, eyes wide in terror.

She pressed herself against his body, calling his name softly, over and over, until he stopped shivering, and his breathing returned to normal.

I’m sorry,” he gasped hoarsely, even as Hera started to giggle. “What is so damned funny?”

YOU!” she exclaimed, touching her fore-head to his, “Still apologizing after everything you’ve been through. What am I to do with you, Kanan Jarrus?”

He gave a shaky laugh of his own. “Well, there is still the matter of the thermals,” he said, gently tugging at her shirt. “That’s a start...”

She snorted, and raised herself up. “Maybe in a minute, mister. I really need to use the fresher, more than I did before I woke you up!”

He pulled her close again, this time only briefly before releasing her. “M’kay,” he sighed. “Only because once I get you back here...”

You’ll sleep until dinner,” Hera finished for him. “That’s OK, I promise, I’ll be right next to you -”

Leaning back and closing his eyes again, “No thermals,” Kanan replied, waggling his fingers for emphasis.

Hera only rolled her eyes as she pushed off of him. “Sure thing, Master Jedi,” she grumbled playfully, picking up the robe he had unceremoniously dumped on the floor. “I’ll just borrow this… thing for now.” Her voice softened. “I won’t be long...”

Kanan didn’t answer. He’d had already dozed off once again.

Hera had left the door to Kanan’s cabin open while she fussed about – including a much wanted shower – checking messages (relieved to find that she was released from duty until the next morning) and instructing Chopper to do some much needed maintenance on the Ghost. (Stars, it felt good to feel useful again!) She grabbed afew ration bars from the galley, and padded back to Kanan’s cabin.

Remembering how he had reacted upon being awakened before, Hera sat down carefully on the bed, and stroked his arm, calling his name softly.

M’ wake,” Kanan mumbled, turning his face into the pillow. “Thought you were going to use t’ fresher...”

Hera snorted, reaching her hand to touch his face. “That was an hour ago, love. How do you feel?”

Kanan frowned, and muttered into the pillow something that sounded distinctly ‘like (poo-doo).

Hera grew concerned. “Your heart? Do I need to call a medic?”

The frown became a scowl. “Keep those meat handlers away from me!” he growled. “Karkin’ droid treating me like a pin keeper, crazy doctor binding me so tightly, I got bruises on top of my bruises…”

Now she laughed softly, and leaned in to kiss him. “Now I know you’re feeling better,” she said. “It’s when you’re quiet, I know you’re hurting.”

A grunt was his only reply, followed by raised eyebrows as he put his hand on her leg. “No thermals...”

No thermals,” she agreed, laying herself down next to him, discarding the robe and pulling the sheet over the two of them. “But if you’re feeling that bad...”

I guess it’s up to you to make me feel better, Captain…” With a wave of his hand, he shut the door and it locked with an audible click.

Just in case….

10. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    That was sweet! So absolutely sweet! [face_love]

Somehow I am too dazed to write anything clever!

CairnsTony and DarthBreezy like this.
  11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Yes, sweet is exactly the word I would use also. :D Hera is so lovingly nurturing. :D Kanan is blessed. ;)

DarthBreezy likes this.
  12. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Kanan's slightly selfish use of the Force at the end is deliciously suggestive.

13. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Aww, but they are so CUTE!!

But not above reproach... ;)

Oh yes -

Speaking of suggestive - this is fair warning that the next chapter is full of 'suggestiveness' especially if you read between the lines (Hey, I just write 'em) but ALSO quite a bit of humor too - especially if you know what Chop's like...

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  14. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Chapter 9

Normally, Ezra would have been happy to help Zeb, especially as it was something for Kanan that didn’t involved ‘Jedi business’ or the Empire or even the karking Rebellion, but he just couldn’t shake the feeling that something had changed. Something major had shifted, and with his master on virtual mental lock-down, he couldn't even get a bead on his condition through their bond, and it frustrated him.

Zeb seemed oblivious to Ezra’s concern (‘E’s in good hands, EzraKanan’s a tough ol’ gundark) and it was all Ezra could do not to simply race out of the kitchen, and to the med bay himself…

The Med Bay…

Hey Zeb, maybe I should see if they’re ready to take this brace off – you know, before we all meet up for dinner?” Ezra said brightly. “We don’t want to worry Kanan -”

Yeah, Yeah,” Zeb sighed, stirring one of the many pots before him. “You keep tellin’ yerself that you aren’t really just checkin’ on him.” He grinned, large sharp teeth shining. “Go on, just make sure yer back here in time to help us carry it all.”

Thanks, buddy!” Ezra called back, already half way down the hall. “I’ll tell him you said hi!”

Zeb only grunted. If he was to be completely honest with himself, he was glad the young Jedi was out of his fur for now Kid was worse than a sand flea circus when it came to standing still. Besides, he might just irritate the staff in the med bay enough to grant Kanan an even earlier release…

Hera rubbed her eyes, that turned into a contented stretch, despite the fact that her face and body were covered in sweat and tear stains.

And hair.

So much for the shower, she thought a little ruefully, but without regret. Her arm draped around Kanan’s head and she lightly played with his long loose hair, shaking off the odd strand that clung to her fingertips.

You shed too much,” she sighed, even as his beard tickled her ribs as he kissed her breast. “Hairs… everywhere!”

Hmmm?” he replied, propping himself up and looking at her with sleepy eyes. Their lovemaking had been fleeting, and all too brief, but it had been what they both needed. Sweet, physical release of both love and tears.

And sweat.

And sweet force, the damned hair!

Hair!” Hera grumbled, a trace of real irritation in her voice. “Kanan, it’s… everywhere!”

I’m sorry if the Inquisitor’s spa service had sub par electrolysis,” Kanan replied dryly. “And the follow up in the med center -”

Kanan, I’m sorry!” Here choked on a sudden sob, fresh tears welling in her eyes. “I don’t know why I would even -”

He silenced her with a kiss. Then another. And with his body fully covering hers, he kissed her again.

You know in some cultures,” he mumbled into her earcone, and caressing her lek. “Covering one’s mate in their body hair is a sign of... affection...”

Her breath caught in her throat, and once again her fingers found what was usually his ponytail. Hair was suddenly... interesting again. “A...A...Afection?” she gasped. “In what… what cul-”
    Her last words were cut off in a small moan as Kanan’s lips and hands began to explore her body once again, and hair was no longer an issue.

Karabast!” Ezra snarled to no one in particular as he raced down the corridors and back to the Ghost. The droid in the med center had been frustratingly unhelpful, only telling Ezra that Kanan had been released. He didn’t want to involve Sabine or Zeb, at least not yet, but Hera – Hera had to know.

Hopefully, she wasn’t going to be in for a shock.

Ezra cursed again, and put on another burst of speed.

By the time Ezra reached the Ghost, he was exhausted and out of breath, but to his relief, at least Chopper was within sight.

Chop!” Ezra gasped. “I need to talk to Hera! Do you know where she is?”

Chopper rotated his top, arms flailing as he burbled and chattered excitedly.

I don’t care if she’s busy!” Ezra snapped back. “I need to talk to her now!”

Now Chopper’s tone become scolding, and warning? Ezra was having none of it.

Just take me to Hera, Chop!” he snapped. “Before I pull your hard drive!”

With an electronic shrug, and a tone that distinctly said ‘Your funeral, bud’, Chopper turned and began trundling down towards the crew quarters, with Ezra close behind.

When they reached the entrance to the crew quarters, either a warning from the Force or sheer dumb luck (later, he would be sure it was the latter) Ezra stopped short while Chopper continued to roll down the hall.

He heard a voice – no, not a voice, voices.

Hera.

Kanan.

Calling each others name in the eternal lover’s refrains and echos.

Oh HELL NO.

The blood drained from his face as he realized that Chopper had stopped in front of Kanan’s door.

And was plugged into the lock.

And laughing.

Ezra threw himself backwards into the passageway moments before he heard Hera’s shriek, and Kanan’s shout of “What the hell are you doing? Get OUT!” and Chopper’s protestations of innocence.

And stay out” Kanan’s voice thundered from behind the once again closed door, and it was all Ezra could do to keep from having a coughing, choking fit, whether from laughter or sheer embarrassment he didn’t know. In any case, he could tell Sabine and Zeb that Kanan and Hera were… well for want of a better word, fine, but they might want to wait on dinner a little longer.

If anything, he trusted his Master to be thorough.

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] !!!!!! Chopper did try to warn him. :oops: Sweet Hera/Kanan stuff, teasing and tender, etc. [face_mischief] =D=

Woot... this is continuing to be so delicious. @};-

DarthBreezy and AzureAngel2 like this.
  16. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Fun, absolutely fun! The entire update.

And apart from that I can always tell my husband that I cover the surfaces of our flat with my long hair as a sign of affection...

17. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016

Yes he did! It's not Ezra's fault he didn't listen...... Okay, actually it is. It's completely his fault. And his punishment will be the inability to get that picture out of his head.

18. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Thank you once again for your lovely replies! it really does mean a lot!

Personally, I think Chop was setting him up! [face_rofl]

Using Kanan wants to get some [face_love] logic!!!

Ohhhhh, that's not all it will be.... *bwhahahahahahahahaha!*

19. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    No, three oil baths over the next month is my final offer,” Ezra snapped as he and Chopper traversed the corridors of the Sunrise. “How was I supposed to know -”

Know what?” Sabine chirped from behind them. “Seriously Ezra, sometimes I think you’ve taken one too many stunners to the head!”

It’s nothing!” Ezra almost shouted, his face colouring. He rounded on Chopper, “And don’t you start!”

Chopper chortled, and banged on Ezra’s leg expectantly as if to say ‘Oil bath first, feed yourself later, or else!’

Why is Chop so… well, being Chop?” said Sabine, her eyes narrowing. “Is there something you’re not telling us? Is Kanan all right? I thought he was doing Hera...

What? Now Ezra was beside himself. “What did you just say?”

The narrow eyes became a glare. “I said, I though Kanan was doing better. Weren’t you were going to go see him in the med bay? That’s what Zeb - who’s probably wondering where the hell we are – said!”

I did. They’d already sent him back to the Ghost!”

Then what’s the problem?”

Ezra ran his palm down over his face, trying to think of a way to explain the situation without ‘explaining the situation’. as they stepped aside to let a contingent of soldiers pass. Finally, he simply opted for the bail out.

Let’s just say Kanan’s fine, Hera’s fine, and every kriffing thing is fine, OK?” he said sharply, and started to head back down the passage to the galley, where Zeb was waiting.

Chopper chuckled gleefully while Sabine pulled him back.

Ezra, you’re acting like a loth cat in a room full of rockers!” She snapped, exasperated. "If I didn’t know better, I’d think...” Suddenly, her eyes grew wide, and a touch of colour blossomed in her cheeks as understanding dawned on her. “Oh… Oh no! You didn’t...”

Didn’t what, Sabine?” Ezra sighed. By the stars, if she was going to humiliate him for this incident, she was going to have to earn it. “Go on – say it!”

She was as red as a jogan fruit leaf, and mumbled into her chest something that sounded like ‘their reunion...

More footsteps down the hallway. Boots, soft shoes, and heavy claws. Zeb had gotten tired of waiting for them.
    What in tha’ name of the Ashla has been keepin’ you lot?” Zeb growled, towering over Ezra and Sabine, ignoring Chopper’s arm extension poking at his leg. “Been waitin’ for you – everything's ready…” He looked at Sabine, then Ezra and back. “Either of you care to tell me -”

They were having sex, and I almost walked in on them, OK?” Ezra cried out, almost at the top of his lungs. “I went to tell Hera that Kanan had been released from the med bay, but he was already back in the Ghost and I heard him and Hera havingsex in his cabin when Chop opened his door like the sneaky rust bucket he is, and Kanan shouted at him to get out and thank the Force they didn’t see me -”

He stopped cold, suddenly remembering they weren’t alone on the Ghost anymore, and realizing that they had acquired an audience.

Giggles and snickers faded with retreating boot steps, as a lone, dry, cultured voice interrupted the ensuing silence.

It seems that Kanan is well on the way to recovery,” the man they now knew as Commander Sato said smoothly. “That’s good to hear.” and without another word, he turned on his heel and left the three remaining members of the Ghost crew to find fascination with the floor. Chopper only gave a mock salute, even sparing them a mechanical giggle until Sato was well out of sight.

Well,” said Zeb at last. “That dinner isn’t gonna serve itself…” He gave the two smaller humans a shove towards the galley. “Come on...”

With only minimal protestation, Kanan allowed Hera to help him in the shower. He was bone weary, and not from the bout of lovemaking with Hera (although he had joked that if he was doomed to die, there were far worse ways to go, and that had earned him a playful shove and a kiss.) He was hungry and yet not hungry. Tired but not sleepy, and torn between wanting to see his family, and hiding in his bunk for a week (with or without Hera, he couldn’t decide) and now, Hera was helping him dress as if he were an invalid.

He didn’t know whether to be defensive or grateful.

He chose the latter, and leaned over to kiss the top of her head as she pulled on his socks.

There!” she said at last. “Clean sleeping pants, shirt and socks, and a new hair tie – unless you want it down?”

He pulled her close as she sat down on the bed, once again dressed in the (once offending) thermals and headscarf. “No thanks,” he murmured, closing his eyes and leaning into her. “I want to keep it out of my face for now. At least until I’ve eaten something.”

Speaking of which, the kids have… well they planned a ‘welcome home dinner’ for you. They worked pretty hard to put it together but they’ll understand if you need -”

No, no,” Kanan shook his head with a small smile. “Crazy kids….”

They love you too, you know.”

I do.”

Hera sighed. “Kanan, you’re falling asleep again as we speak! Let me put you back to bed for a while – by yourself.

M’kay,” he mumbled into her shoulder. “Wake me up when it’s ready, will you?”

I will, love,” Hera said tenderly, taking his arm. “Just pretend to be surprised, OK?”

As she tumbled him back into his bunk, she thought to herself that acting surprised wouldn’t even be an issue, he was so tired and worn out, she doubted he’d remember the conversation at all...

CairnsTony and AzureAngel2 like this.
  20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_laugh] Fun conversation and sweet gentleness at the end. Yuppers, Kanan needs actual rest and food/dinner. ;) :D on the comment about remembering the conversation. He probably will not have to act surprised.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  21. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Yeah, let's see, he's had a bit of lovin', and is back not only in his home, but his own, private space - I'd crash out too if I were him...

I think I've scarred Ezra though! I think as a rule, Kanan and Hera are a bit more on the down low - usually... [face_blush]

22. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Chapter 11

Hera realized that Kanan had probably been asleep even before his head had hit the pillow, yet she still stayed, and tenderly stroked a stray lock of hair out of his eyes.

My poor Moonbeam,” Hera sighed. “I wish we could just run away together, and open that jogan fruit stand on one of Rion’s moons like we dreamed of all those years ago. You’d mind the stall, I’d do the supply runs, and we’d close for a week after festival time and just spend the entire time, winding in the sheets...”

She closed her eyes, and a smile touched her lips at the memory. Well, even if it had only been for a few hours, they’d at least accomplished some of it – perhaps a day’s worth in a rare afternoon if she were to be honest with herself – and she had the good graces to blush.

I should check and see if the kids are back yet,” she told his sleeping form, leaning over to kiss him. “Don’t worry, we’ll keep dinner warm for you...”

She was waiting in the common room when they filed in, carrying trays and pots yet oddly subdued. Ezra’s eyes were everywhere else.

Oh heya Hera!” Zeb said brightly. “I hear Kanan’s doing betta’”

Sabine choked, Ezra flushed and Chopper giggled.

Hera was immediately on guard. “He’s fine,” she replied, Her tone belying her suspicion. “You guys however -”

It’s nothing, Hera!” Sabine jumped in, squeezing by with a platter to set in the table. “Everything’s fine!”

Yeah, nice and quiet, I’ll bet,” Zeb added sagely, before punching Ezra on the shoulder. “Especially down in th’ barracks -”

Zeb! SHUT UP!

What are you two talking about?” Hera started, then froze, realization dawning on her face. “Oh!” she said suddenly, then meekly. “Oh...”

She turned away from the crew, and pushed her scarf back in frustration. They were all adults – well, mostly adults – and if she were to be completely honest, it really was none of their damned business anyway -

It was Chopper’s chortle of amusement that snapped her back around, relieved to have a reason to lash out. “YOU!” she snarled. “I should pull your hard drive -”

That’s what I told him!” Ezra said indignantly. “But nooo! Chopper just had to -”

Enough!” Hera snapped, her tone and expression leaving no room for argument or discussion. “Look, we’re all glad Kanan’s back -”

Some more than others,” Zeb whispered to Sabine, earning him an elbow to the stomach. Hera ignored the remark, focusing her attention back on Ezra.

Ezra,” she said, her tone much gentler now. “Why don’t you go see if Kanan’s awake? But if he’s still -”

Never mind, I’m up...” Kanan mumbled from the doorway, scratching his side lazily. Zeb whispered something to Sabine , and they both howled with laughter, despite the almost murderous look from Hera and Ezra. He opened his mouth to say something, then thought better of it, preferring just to slip easily into Hera’s embrace while he shook his head

It didn’t matter, he was home and with his family, and in the end, that was all he cared about.

23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_laugh] Wonderfully hilarious commentary from Zeb [face_mischief] Yuppers, Kanan is home and that's all that matters. And definitely some were "gladdest". [face_laugh] I enjoyed this entire thing immensely. =D= [:D]

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  24. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Excellent stuff DarthBreezy! You have a gift for story-telling but also an ability to write natural dialogue which matters a great deal.

I like your turns of phrase and the humour in this story; very nicely done! :)

25. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    I'm very glad you have! And Thank you for saying so! [face_love]

[face_blush] Thank you so much! It was both frustrating and a lot of fun to write - Alas, as in all things, we've come to an end.. Thank you EVERYONE who's left a cookie here! Hot choc, [:D][face_love] to everyone!

The last chapter to follow...

AzureAngel2 and CairnsTony like this.