Beyond Broken Circle - AU. Han, L/M - COMPLETED 12/20/04 - replies to comments 12/31/04

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by GreatOne, Nov 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. GreatOne Force Ghost

star 4
    In keeping with this current spat of Leiacide.... muahahaha. ;)

Broken Circle

The jungles of the moon of Yavin were hot and sticky, the humid air was repressing even to the most hardy of Jedi students and teachers. After nearly a three hour jog, Mara Jade-Skywalker was ready to call it a day. She entered the much cooler air of the stone temple, and then headed over to her two-year old daughter, gathering her up into her arms and covering her with kisses as the girl giggled and squirmed. "Have you been a good girl, my little monster?" her mother asked, looking over at the Jedi student that had been caring for her daughter while she was out.

"She was very well behaved," the young Padawan answered Jade.

The little girl nodded earnestly in agreement. "See, momma? I made you a pitcher." She pointed to a flimsy covered in a mess of glue and colored bits of paper.

Mara picked it up and grinned. Her daughter loved to draw and create various works of 'art'. "Very good. We'll put it up on the wall, with all the others. In the meantime, I think you'd better clean up that big mess." She put her child down, watching as the little girl brushed up her table and carefully put the lids back on containers.

"She'll be old enough to start preliminary training soon," Luke said from behind his wife.

The red-head turned to face her husband. "Do you really think so?"

"Of course. The sooner the better." When he saw the hesitation in Mara's eyes, he frowned. "What's the matter? You don't agree?"

"No, I agree." She shook her head. "It's just that...."

"What?"

"Your niece and nephews are much older than our child. Don't you think you should start their training as well?"

Luke looked away, unable to meet his wife's eyes. "I know. I know."

"But you can't bring yourself to ask?"

"I can't take them away. They're all he has left."

Mara shut her eyes, sensing the familiar, intense grief that always swept through Luke whenever he thought about his sister. His feelings were so strong that sometimes it even overwhelmed Mara. She remembered seeing the holo-recordings of the dedication of the Kashyyyk Embassy, and the explosion that killed so many members of the New Republic Senate - as well as President Organa-Solo and Chewbacca, the heroic Wookiee that had been Luke's close friend. Han Solo had survived only because he was standing further back during the initial blast. Their three young children had been home with Leia's friend and aide, Winter, so they had been unharmed.

After Solo's lengthy recovery, and the many public memorials to the victims, Solo had taken his children and fled Coruscant, retreating with his guilt and his grief to an agricultural system in the Corporate Sector. There, he had purchased a small house with the compensation the New Republic offered him, and he had tried to create a new life for his children.

Luke and Mara had visited Han, Jacen, Jaina and Anakin several times during the past five years, but they had never lingered very long. Han had been polite, but very distant from Luke during those trips, and soon the Jedi had felt he was somehow interfering... and unwelcome.

"They're too strong in the Force to just ignore their training, Luke," Mara persisted gently.

"Last time we were there, I hinted at starting their training," Luke murmured softly. "I could sense Han's hostility, even though he tried to hide it. He just changed the subject." Luke sighed, and shook his head. "I can't push this. Try to understand."

"I do understand."

"I wish I did," Luke added sadly. "I should have sensed she was in danger..."

"Luke, you weren't even on Coruscant at the time," Mara shot back, growing weary of the same old argument. "You could not have known."

"She was my twin. I didn't even feel her death."

Mara opened her mouth to speak, then quickly shut it. Again, it was more of the same. After five years, Mara had finally concluded that only Luke could come to terms with his sister's death, and in his own time.

Leia's body h
  2. Melissa_Fel13 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Wow! =D= That was really good! Hmmmm, they didn't find Leia's body? Hmmmm. It looks really interesting! Can't wait until next post!

Edit: First reply of a brand new story!! [face_dancing] w00t w00t!! Lol. Yeah, I'd watch out for me, I'm a bit crazy. :D
  3. Laura_Anu Jedi Master

star 4
    AHHHHHHH! I finally catch a GreatOne fic before it's on the 10th update or so! I'm so excited! I love it...and I know that Leia's not dead! I know it! At least...I hope she's not dead! But a great start anyway!
  4. kayladie97 Force Ghost

star 4
    In keeping with my new, no-lurking policy... :D I'm getting in on the beginning of this story!

I can't believe this...YOU killed Leia off? :eek: AND Chewbacca? :eek: Leaving your Hanny-bear without the love of his life AND his best friend? :eek:

Who are you and what have you done with MarySue? ;)

I see a glimmer of hope here that they never found a body, though... :D

And I'm not at all bothered by slow updates. (We are talking about ME, after all :rolleyes: ) Heck, I'll bet you still manage to finish this one before I finish Sleight of Hand! [face_laugh] [face_plain] Why am I laughing...that's so sad! :p

Anyway, can't wait to see where you go with this!
  5. RebelMom Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I see the bunnies have got you again. At least I know it wasn't my fault. ;)

I have hope that Leia isn't really dead. Though you certainly will have a lot of angst with this. Keep up the good work.
  6. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Hmm...interesting. They found everyone's body except Leia's. At least that leaves us with some hope. Now go make things better! :D
  7. Jedi_BMK Jedi Master

star 4
    I like it. I can't wait to see where you go with this. Whenever you get around to updating that is.
  8. Starrunner Jedi Knight

star 2
    Her body was never found, and Luke didn't feel her death, I'd say we still have hope.
    Would KnightedRogue be fimiliar with this plot bunny?
  9. Lady_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh I like this! :)

I agree w/ everyone else.....the fact that no body was found gives us hope for Leia.......I hope.
  10. GreatOne Force Ghost

star 4
    Melissa_Fel13 - Crazy, huh? LOL! That's ok! Crazy is good around here! Welcome to my story! :)

Laura_Anu - I know that Leia's not dead! I know it! At least...I hope she's not dead!- Even the author isn't sure.... now isn't THAT a scary thought? :D

kayladie97 - Welcome! :) Who are you and what have you done with MarySue? - looks around.... hehe. I stuck her under a rock, so I could write this story! [face_devil] - Heck, I'll bet you still manage to finish this one before I finish Sleight of Hand!- I don't doubt that a bit! [face_laugh]

RebelMom - Nope... this time you're not to blame! :D And I do plan on LOTS of angst, as well. :_| *hands out tissues*

HanSolo29 - Now go make things better! Already?? :eek: - I have lots of evil planned first! [face_devil]

Jedi_BMK - Actually, I update fairly quickly! Even if I post my first chapter without another word typed up! ;)

Starrunner - Would KnightedRogue be fimiliar with this plot bunny? - YES! This is ALL her fault! *point all WMD's in KR's direction!*

Lady_Jade - the fact that no body was found gives us hope for Leia.......I hope. - Plus, the author wanted to leave her options open... LOL! :D

And now.... Speedy here already has chapter two typed up! :eek:
  11. GreatOne Force Ghost

star 4
    Chapter 2

Sitting nervously on a chair that was meant for a five-year old, Han looked over at the tall, thin teacher. She smiled briefly as she sat down at her desk. "I'm truly sorry, Captain," she began her prepared speech. "I realize raising three children all alone must be difficult. But Anakin is out of control in this classroom."

"What's he done now?" Han said, groaning inwardly. Of the three children, Anakin, now six, was the main mischief maker.

Jacen was exactly the opposite - he was so obedient, it sometimes worried Han. Perhaps the elder boy sensed how distraught his father had been after Leia's death, and had decided to become the model child for fear of losing his father. The twins were three years old when Leia died, and they remembered their mother, unlike Anakin, who'd only been a year old when the tragedy had occurred. And although Anakin was a handful, it was Jaina that worried Han the most. She missed her mother deeply, even more so than Jacen. Perhaps because she needed a woman in her life. Jaina's reaction to her mother's murder had been to withdraw from everyone in the beginning stages of her grief. Then she had turned to displays of anger and temper, getting in frequent fights with her brothers. Sometimes she even broke their toys out of revenge or spite. It worried Han to the point he had tried to take her to see a therapist, to no avail. The problems not only remained, they seemed to get worse with outside interference.

"The other children all love Anakin," Mrs. Starshine continued gently. "He's very popular with everyone in the class. Unfortunately, he's also disruptive. Today, for instance, used his special... powers to levitate one of the boys to the ceiling."

Han sighed, and rubbed his tired eyes. He had tried, repeatedly, to lecture his children on never, ever using the Force. Not at home, and especially not in school. Apparently, his lecturing had fallen on three sets of very deaf ears. He knew his children used their powers behind his back at home, but using them in public was a far greater offense. "Did he say why he did it?"

"The boy was teasing one of the little girls in the classroom. I think Anakin likes her."

That comment made Han open his eyes wide, and stare at the older woman in disbelief. "He's six. He can't be thinking about girls!"

Mrs. Starshine gave a wane smile. "You'd be surprised, Captain."

"I'll talk to him - again."

"That would be a good start."

"A start? What else do you want me to do?" Han's voice rose in panic. "You can't be thinking of kicking him out of school!"

"Of course not. I just think, perhaps, that all three of your children would benefit from special schooling. One that helps them not only with basic learning skills, but teaches them about their powers. Doesn't your brother-in-law have something like that?"

Han stood up quickly, sending the tiny chair skidding out from behind his feet. "I'm not sending my children away," he snarled at the teacher. "If you can't handle Anakin, maybe the problem is with you. Did you ever think about that? Maybe I should complain about you, to your supervisor."

"I don't think the problem lies with me, Captain," she replied calmly. "I know Mr. Tracely is having difficulties with Jaina in his classroom."

"He's never said anything to me!"

"Mr. Tracely has been trying to deal with Jania's problems on his own."

"What problems?"

Mrs. Starshine hesitated. "She's violent toward the other children. And she steals."

"Steals?!"

"Yes, I'm sorry to report this to you, but it's true. And if she's caught, she breaks into tears and makes promises that she won't do it again. Only, she does."

Shocked, Han wandered over to the large window, and looked out at the children playing in the grass. It was far from the first time since Leia's death that he felt overwhelmed by being a single father. He thought about Luke, who he hadn't seen in over six months. My fault... again. Han knew he'd deliberately pushed his fr
  12. Laura_Anu Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh, so sad! Poor Han!!! I vote that Luke comes and knocks some sense into Han!

EDIT: AHHHHHHHHH! 1st post!
  13. Jedi_BMK Jedi Master

star 4
    I like it. I wonder how long it'll take for Han to finally break down and accept Luke's help.
  14. Lady_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    Poor Han!!! :( This must be just awful for him!! *sniff*

But I agree w/ Laura_Anu.....Luke does need to help Han out....and Han needs to let Luke help him. After all, they are still family.
  15. Sologirl Jedi Knight

star 2
    Oh goody! Another Great One Story! You know I love your work!!

Poor Han! It has to be so hard to raise 3 kids on your own. I am very interested to see where it goes, but it would be nice to see Leia still alive and making her way back to her family. :) Please, pretty please!!
  16. Agent_Jaid Jedi Grand Master

star 5

In keeping with this current spat of Leiacide.... muahahaha.

HURRAH!!! :D Leia's dead!! *dances*

*reads hungrily*

She remembered seeing the holo-recordings of the dedication of the Kashyyyk Embassy, and the explosion that killed so many members of the New Republic Senate - as well as President Organa-Solo and Chewbacca, the heroic Wookiee that had been Luke's close friend.

Aww... :( On the one hand, Chewie's dead!! :eek: NOO!!! On the OTHER hand.... [face_devil] HAH! LEIA'S DEAD!!! W00T!!! :D

After Solo's lengthy recovery, and the many public memorials to the victims, Solo had taken his children and fled Coruscant, retreating with his guilt and his grief to an agricultural system in the Corporate Sector. There, he had purchased a small house with the compensation the New Republic offered him, and he had tried to create a new life for his children.

On an agricultural system? [face_sick] Those POOR kids... :(

Leia's body had never been found, not even a trace of material, blood or DNA. Everyone else on that platform had been accounted for, even Chewie's mangled and twisted body, and he had been standing next to the President during the explosion. Eyewitnesses had insisted that the Wookiee had seen the detonator before it went off, and had thrown the President off the platform. But the holo-recordings could not confirm this - they had only shown Chewbacca moving to intercept the bomb, and then chaos. The experts finally decided that Leia must have been standing directly on the bomb, and thus her body had been obliterated. If Luke had not felt her death, perhaps that was a mercy, for it could only mean she had died instantly, and not have felt any fear or pain.

O.O...... PLEASE BE DEAD LEIA!!! :_| It would be so nice to have thee dead for once!! :( *wails*

"Momma...." Little Leia tugged at Mara's hand. "I'm done cleaning."

[face_plain].... Not.... commenting.... (dang, and I thought the name "BEN" was cruel... :()

Shocked, Han wandered over to the large window, and looked out at the children playing in the grass. It was far from the first time since Leia's death that he felt overwhelmed by being a single father. He thought about Luke, who he hadn't seen in over six months. My fault... again. Han knew he'd deliberately pushed his friend away after Leia and Chewie's deaths.

...*sniffles* :( *HUGS* Poor Han.... :_|

No... Luke was a different problem. He was a reminder of how much Han lacked as the father to three Force-strong children. If Luke took them away, he'd lose his children forever. They would see what a useless man their father was, and how much better at everything Luke was. Luke would take his place as their father, and Han would be left with no one. Luke was a Jedi Master - someone Han could not compete with, even on his best days.

....HAN YOU ARE GETTING THE FACTS MIXED UP!!! You are far far better then Luke. Trust me. :) Luke is a Jedi and you're not - therefor, you are automatically far far better then Luke. *hugs*

:(

*sigh*

:(

17. Melissa_Fel13 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Great post! I can so see Jaina acting up and stuff because of Leia's death. And Anakin...that's kinda funny. Lol. Poor Han though. He thinks he can't compete with Luke. The poor guy. Can't wait until next post!
  18. kayladie97 Force Ghost

star 4
    :_| Aw, poor Han! I like the way you have the three children reacting in such different ways and yet I think it's pretty in character with what we know of their personalities from the NJO. Nicely done!

And Luke doesn't want to take them away from you, Han! He just wants to help you! *sigh*

And I didn't catch from the first post that Luke and Mara named their daughter Leia! I think that's so sweet and very fitting, although I doubt they would have done so if Leia were still alive. Hmmm, here's hoping that maybe they might have to give 'little Leia' a nickname soon! :D *hinthint*

And I've got a three week shutdown at work coming up at Christmas...I'm gonna finish that damn story during that time even if it kills me...and I have a feeling that it might. :rolleyes: :p
  19. RebelMom Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I wish my company would shut down for 3 weeks. *sigh* oh well.

Packing the angst in right off the bat with this one. Poor Han. HIs children are acting out and he doesn't know what to do. He really should talk with Luke. I'm sure they could work something out.
  20. kayladie97 Force Ghost

star 4
    RebelMom: I wish my company would shut down for 3 weeks. *sigh* oh well.

Well, it wouldn't be so bad if I was getting paid during that time. [face_frustrated] Unemployment checks just ain't gonna cut it...but, it should be good for me writing-wise, anyway! :D *is trying to find silver lining* :p
  21. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Awww...poor Han. He definitely has it tough with all three kids by himself. If only Luke has a way that he can help out without actually taking the kids away from him.
  22. Starrunner Jedi Knight

star 2
    Poor Han! :( I hope he accepts Luke's help relatively soon.

And, if it's all KR's fault then I doubt we'll need very many WMD's. Unless your messing with my mind, and she really is dead. [face_worried]
  23. GreatOne Force Ghost

star 4
    Laura_Anu- Poor Han! He's had it rough, and you want Luke to beat him up? LOL! :eek: :D

Jedi_BMK - He might accept help.... eventually! :)

Lady_Jade - Yes, they are a family. And family's do help each other, or they should! ;)

Sologirl - Leia alive??? Hmmm.. I am still thinking about that one! :)

Agent_Jaid - [face_laugh] - You are funny! You WANT Leia to be dead?? :eek: Why? *grins* Well, maybe she is, and maybe she ain't... I ain't saying, yet!

Melissa_Fel13 - No, he doesn't think he can compete with Jedi uncle Luke! Poor Han! :(

kayladie97 - I did decide to keep the children pretty much in character, altough I really haven't read too many YJK stories. However, I figure any changes could be explained by saying "It's because their mommy died!" A nickname for little Leia, hmm? ;) And yes, YOU CAN finish your story before Christmas! YES YOU CAN! (just like that little train that could...)

RebelMom- Packing the angst in right off the bat with this one- I'm trying! :D - And "talking" to Luke is coming up, very soon! :eek:

HanSolo29 - If only Luke has a way that he can help out without actually taking the kids away from him- Ahh. You touched on my pet peeve with the Jedi! Taking kids away from their parents! :(

Starrunner - Unless your messing with my mind, and she really is dead- hehehehhe. [face_devil]
  24. GreatOne Force Ghost

star 4
    Chapter 3

Anakin looked worriedly at the sturdy school building. "Do you think I'm in trouble?"

Jaina giggled, and gave her little brother a shove. "Of course you are. Dad's gonna be so mad at you for levitating that boy!" She looked down at Jacen, who was poking a beetle with a stick. "Don't you think Anakin's in big trouble?"

"I dunno," Jacen replied with a shrug. He tried to stay out of these fights, since he had enough of his own problems with Jaina.

"What do you think dad'll do to me?" Anakin asked his sister.

"Probably feed you bugs for dinner.... Jacen's bugs!"

Jacen looked up sharply, not even noticing Anakin's lower lip begin to tremble in fear. "He will not!"

"Yes, he will! Bug stew for a week! That's what'll happen when you get home, little brother."

"Dad will not kill my bugs!" Jacen cried out, clammering to his feet. "I won't let him."

"Like you'll have any choice," Jaina said with a smirk. Anakin started crying, and Jaina turned her teasing up a notch. "Then he'll make you drink mud water, to wash those bugs down. Bugs and mud go together, you know."

"I don't want to eat bugs!"

"Kids!" Han's voice called out as he approached them in long strides. "Time to go home."

"Dad, Jaina says you're gonna make me eat bugs."

Han sighed and looked over at his daughter, who had the grace to look slightly embarrassed. "Why would you tell Anakin that?"

"Cuz he's in trouble?"

"So are you, young lady, and I think you know why."

Young lady. Dad never called her that unless he was angry. "I didn't do anything," Jaina protested, deciding to take the offensive. "It wasn't my teacher that made you come all the way down to the school."

"We're not discussing this now, Jaina. But we're all having a nice long chat as soon as we get home."

"All?" Jacen protested. "I didn't do anything! Really!"

Han put his hand on Jacen's shoulder. "Not you, kiddo. You're not my problem." He herded his children toward the hovercraft, wondering how in the galaxy he was going to make them behave. Although he didn't have the Force abilities of his children, Han knew he had been less than a model of good behavior as a boy. But his childhood was far different than his own children's, so they could hardly be compared. Han knew he'd spent the past five years desperately trying make up for the loss of their mother, and to give his children the love and stability he'd never had. And still, he felt like a complete failure.

No one noticed the silent, ghostly apprarition standing in the trees at the edge of the playground, watching the family as they headed to the vehicle.

Over the green and blue system of Paricellan, the agricultural world Han had chosen as his new home, Luke adjusted controls of his wife's ship, the Jade's Fire. He looked over at Mara, busy at her own controls. "We've been given landing clearance," Luke informed her.

"Good." She turned and smiled. "In a few hours, we'll be seeing your family. I know you've missed them."

"They're your family, too," Luke pointed out.

"True," she said, nodding in agreement.

Luke turned to her. "I still can't push this, Mara."

"Luke, be reasonable. They need training. You know they need training. You have to push this, or we could all be sorry years down the road." When Luke turned his attention back to the approaching system without speaking, Mara continued, more gently. "I'm not suggesting you try to take them away. Maybe we could just start their training right here for a few weeks, and when Han sees how well it's going, we'll move them to Yavin. All of them, including Han."

"He would feel uncomfortable on Yavin," Luke replied quietly.

"Why? Because he's not a Jedi? That's stupid, Luke. He's part of this family, and I just don't see what possible difference it makes if he's the only non-Jedi on Yavin. It's not like anyone is going to tease him about it. It doesn't matter."

"No, not to us, it doesn't. You just don't know Han like
  25. Jedi_BMK Jedi Master

star 4
    Excellent post.

No one noticed the silent, ghostly apprarition standing in the trees at the edge of the playground, watching the family as they headed to the vehicle.

Now who could that be? [face_thinking]

And now I'm wondering if Han will blow up when Luke arrives or if he'll be reasonable considering his kids' recent behavior.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.