main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Broken Loyalty ((Sequel to Forgotten)) JA (AU)-Qui/Obi/OC angst ((REPOST)) COMPLETED

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by freak-pudding, Mar 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freak-pudding

freak-pudding Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2002
    WOOHOO! Can you believe it? I'm posting the sequel! *throws confetti*

The prequel, Forgotten, is something I would reccomend reading before starting this. It will kind of explain this.

[b]Title[/b]: Broken Loyalty
    [b]Author[/b]: freak-pudding
    [b]Timeframe[/b]: JA
    [b]Characters[/b]: Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, OC, Tahl, Mace
    [b]Genre[/b]: AU, Drama
    [b]Keywords[/b]: H/C, angst, Obi-torture
    [b]Summary[/b]: Obi-Wan kidnaps his daughter from the Temple & tries desperately to get her back to her mother.
    [b]Author's Note[/b]: In this story, there is a law in the Republic that says every child that is born to a citizen of the Republic & is Force-sensitive, [i]must[/i] be taken to the Temple.

[hr]

[b]Part 1: Receiving Room[/b]

Still depressed, Obi-Wan lifted up the child.

?Be careful,? Qui-Gon hovered over him.

?I [i]am[/i],? Obi-Wan growled. Qui-Gon got the message and backed off. Obi-Wan had been in a bad mood ever since they?d gotten back from the Council Chambers.

The Masters had rejected Obi-Wan?s wish to find Aleeya. They believed that evidence based on a fever dream was useless. Though he didn?t tell Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon secretly agreed.

The agony over his dream of a pregnant Aleeya was tearing the poor boy apart. He hardly ever slept, but Qui-Gon made sure to sneak into the boy?s room and calm him through the Force.

They had met Aleeya on a routine evacuation mission to the moons of Vnentri. She was trying to get the workers cleared from the war-torn Vnentri moons. She and Obi-Wan had been left to organize it while Qui-Gon went planet-side to attempt to get a peace treated between the two sides. Qui-Gon had guessed at the mutual affection between the two teens, but never thought it would go this far.

?I don?t understand why they won?t let me go!? Obi-Wan sighed, lifting the bottle. Qui-Gon had taken him to help at the Nurturer?s Wing to help with the infants to cheer him up. But, as Tahl had put with a perfectly deadpanned ?I told you so?, it hadn?t work.

?Obi-Wan, maybe it [i]was[/i] all dream,? Qui-Gon pointed out gently. ?You could?ve just? made it up.?

?It was too real!? Obi-Wan replied. Qui-Gon shook his head, deciding not to press the matter. Obi-Wan was just too stubborn about these things.

?Those damn new arrivals,? the voices came from slightly down the hall. Obi-Wan quietly closed the door and moved toward the other Jedi.

?What about them?? Obi-Wan asked. The Nurturer grinned at him.

?You did well, Kenobi,? he said. ?Best amateur I?ve seen in years.?

?Thanks,? Obi-Wan grinned, rubbing the back of his neck. ?I guess it?s just natural.?

?You should come and have a look at the new arrivals,? the other motioned to him. Uncertainly, Obi-Wan followed the two men into a larger room.

This room was affectionately called the ?Receiving Room?, where all new initiates spent their first few days at the Temple. The huge dome-shaped room was designed to echo serenity & calming feelings. Windows covered the dome roof to let in light and make the room bright. What should have been the soft sound of infants breathing had turned into a huge cacophony of crying & screaming.

The Nurturers led him past rows & rows of hundreds of babies and toddlers. They had almost reached the back when Obi-Wan had to cover his ears. [i]Too much commotion,[/i] he thought.

?Here we are,? one of the men shouted to him. The other lifted a small, pink-clad newborn from her cradle. She was sobbing loudly, obviously the perpetrator of the noise.

?The minute she woke up this morning, she was going crazy!? the Nurturer handed Obi-Wan the child. At first, she continued crying. Then, she slowly began to calm down and snuggled into Obi-Wan?s arms. And, thankfully, the rest of the room began calming. Obi-Wan smiled and rocked her gently.

?You?ve got the magic touch,? the two men grinned. Obi-Wan smiled sheepishly back.

?I guess she likes me,? he shrugged. ?What?s her na

2. freak-pudding

Dec 29, 2002
    Part 2: Duty As A Father

Obi-Wan had been thrown out of the ward so fast that he couldn?t even remember how he got into the corridor. All he knew was that he was currently stalking back & forth in front of the ward door while his Master & several Council members conversed inside. Tahl stood outside with him.

?Are you still pacing?? she asked.

?Yes,? Obi-Wan replied shortly.

?Well, stop,? she placed a hand on his arm. ?You?re making me nervous.?

Obi-Wan flashed her a smile she couldn?t see and sat down on the floor.

?Why won?t they let me in?? he asked finally.

?Because? they want to be sure of everything,? Tahl said carefully. Obi-Wan snorted.

?You mean they are sitting there, praying she isn?t mine and in a few minutes, they?ll make me give some blood and hope that their prayers are answered,? he smiled sarcastically before his face fell. ?What am I going to do??

He put his head in his hands.

?I wonder where the mother is,? Tahl mused quietly. Obi-Wan?s head shot up.

?Aleeya,? he said suddenly. ?Aleeya wouldn?t have given her child up. That means??

He stared viciously at the door. He jumped up and began beating at the door.

Obi-Wan then launched into a colorful description of each Council Master?s ancestry and his harsh language shocked Tahl. ?They stole her!?

?They didn?t steal her,? Tahl tried vainly to calm him. ?It?s a law, Obi-Wan.?

?I know, I know?? Obi-Wan sighed, leaning his head against the door. ?I never thought much of the law before, but now? Everything?s different when your child is involved.?

A lump formed in his throat. Everything?s different when your child is involved. His own words echoed in his head with a mocking, evil tone. He backed up, thumping against the wall. He slid down the wall to the floor, head in hands.

?Obi-Wan?? Qui-Gon opened the door. ?Could you come in here??

At first, it seemed as though he couldn?t hear his Master. Finally, he dragged himself up and stumbled into the room. Lara-Ni was lying on an exam table, looking a little scared. Her arms flailed around and she reached for him. A small ivory hand, reaching out for love.

?You called me Masters?? Obi-Wan stared openly at his daughter.

?Yes,? Mace seemed uncomfortable. ?We would like to run a DNA test.?

?What?s the point?? Obi-Wan?s voice was hollow and echoing. ?It doesn?t matter what the test results are, you?ll keep her either way.?

The Masters looked around at each other awkwardly. Obi-Wan reached out his hand and Lara-Ni?s little one latched onto his finger.

?She is my daughter,? he said, watching the infant. ?I know it.?

With that, he turned and left. Qui-Gon stared after the boy curiously.

?Maybe we ought to give him a day or two,? Adi Gallia spoke up. ?He probably needs some time.?

?Yes,? Yoda nodded. ?Big, this new is. With him, a conflict I fear we will have.?

?I?ll go? talk to him,? Qui-Gon shrugged and went after his apprentice.

?Obi-Wan??

?I don?t want to talk.?

?Would you come out of your room please??

?No.?

?Obi-Wan, come out of your room now!?

?No.?

Qui-Gon stared, shocked, at his apprentice?s bedroom door. Obi-Wan had never, ever disobeyed a direct order since Melida/Daan. Somehow, it scared Qui-Gon to know that he was doing it now.

With an audible sigh, the Jedi Master plopped into a nearby chair, completely drained. Before, he had always hoped that somehow, Obi-Wan had just made up the pregnant Aleeya thing. Now, with the proof barely 50 feet away, it was completely unthinkable. It was a direct violation of the Code for a Jedi to fall in love, marry, or have a child with someone unless given permission by the Council. If one did do that, their reputation was tarnished forever and they were looked down upon by the entire Order.

Qui-Gon had never in his time with Obi-Wan suspected that the boy would fall temptation to lust or greed. No matter how hard he tried, he just could not wrap his mind around the idea of the small infant girl being his

3. freak-pudding

Dec 29, 2002
    Part 3: Family Reunion... Sort Of

The rain splattered against the grungy hotel?s windows. The red-haired female Human writhed on her bed, lights off. The flimsy windows had caved, making her cover it with thin sheets of durasteel. Tears streamed down her face as she lay sprawled across the bed. Thunder rolled outside and she cast her eyes to the water slowly drifting down the wall.

?My baby,? she whimpered. ?My daughter??

Often she?d hear an infant cry in the night. She?d wake up and run over to the make-shift cradle only to find it empty. Her heart was crying, too, when reality would hit her and she would remember the day she woke up in the clinic and found out they?d taken her baby.

?Lara-Ni,? she moaned. Sadness filled her heart, but she was glad she?d at least gotten to name her child. Some women never even saw their babies before they were taken.

There was a loud pounding at the door and Aleeya Delyani cast her eyes forlornly at it. No one at this obscene place gave a damn about her, so it made no sense for someone to come knocking on her door.

?Aleeya!? a male voice called. ?Aleeya! Open the door! We haven?t much time!?

It sounded like...

Aleeya turned her head to the door, unsure of who was really behind it.

?Please!? he cried. ?I have Lara-Ni!?

Aleeya scrambled from the bed and unbolted the door. There stood Obi-Wan, soaking wet, with a bag slung over his shoulder.

?How??? she was at a loss for words as she let the freezing Jedi in.

?Listen, they might all ready be tracking me,? Obi-Wan looked through the crack in the flimsy. ?We need to get you off planet. I have some friends outside the Republic who might be willing to put you up for a while.?

Aleeya nodded.

?But we need to keep moving,? he looked back at her.

?Where is she? Where is our daughter?? her red hair was stringy & limp around her face. Her brown eyes were red and puffy. Her bottom lip trembled and her eyes watered.

?Oh, Aleeya,? Obi-Wan murmured softly, wrapping her in his arms. ?I?m so sorry.?

Sobs shook the girl?s small frame.

?I? I woke up?? she sobbed. ?And? and she was gone.?

?I?m sorry,? he whispered over and over, kissing her head gently. ?I wish I could have been there.?

They stood for a moment like that, just rocking back and forth.

?Listen,? Obi-Wan said quietly. ?They won?t catch us if we leave now.?

?What if they do?? Aleeya asked hollowly.

?I won?t let that happen,? he replied simply.

?I know it was a difficult decision,? Mace said sympathetically.

?I?m practically writing my apprentice?s death sentence,? Qui-Gon scoffed. ?Of course it was hard.?

Mace became silent as Qui-Gon shifted. He sighed and looked up sadly at the security officers.

?What should we do?? Mace asked.

?We will begin searching the immediate area?? the head officer spoke up.

?No,? Qui-Gon shook his head. ?Obi-Wan?s smarter than that. He knows it?s the first place you?ll look. He?s trying to get Aleeya off-planet. If he wants to remain in hiding & get her away from Coruscant, he?ll keep running. Have your men do a sweep pattern around the next 50 miles.?

?Fifty miles, sir?? the officer asked skeptically. ?You really expect that he made that far on foot??

?He has probably made it farther by now,? Qui-Gon glowered at the officer. ?Mark my words, sir. He will not be easily caught.?

With that, he swept out of the room. Mace stared thoughtfully after his friend.

4. freak-pudding

Dec 29, 2002
    Part 4: With Being Betrayed

?What are you doing??

?Contemplating my death.?

?Isn?t that lovely.?

Tahl perched on the edge of a nearby bench. Qui-Gon was meditating in the middle of the garden, scrunching up his brow in concentration.

?You know, if you keep doing that, your face will stick like that,? Tahl quietly remarked at length.

?Pity,? Qui-Gon replied. ?You should?ve listened then.?

The two laughed at his joke, but the uneasiness remained. It had been three weeks since Obi-Wan had disappeared with the baby.

?Have they found anything?? Qui-Gon asked, opening his eyes to look at her.

?The question is? do you really want them to??

?What?? he was taken aback. She smiled.

?Qui-Gon,? she slipped to the ground next to him, ?do you really want to find your apprentice??

?Of course!? Qui-Gon replied hotly, standing up. ?He broke a law! He needs to be caught.?

?But he is your apprentice,? Tahl looked shocked. ?He is like your son!?

?The Order first, then everyone else,? Qui-Gon replied stiffly.

?Listen to what you?re saying!? Tahl went to him. ?What talk is this??

?It is a law,? he said simply. ?I must follow the laws.?

?I never saw a man so attached to duty,? Tahl muttered, walking away. Qui-Gon stared after her.

?Obeying duty comes with being betrayed,? he replied softly.

?Let?s make it quick, Aleeya.?

?C?mon, Obi-Wan! This is history in the making!?

?And we?ll be history in the making if we?re caught!?

?Please? I want Lara to see it.?

Obi-Wan stared stonily past Aleeya, arms crossed. She knew she?d won and kissed him on the cheek. After two months of running, Aleeya had begged him to let them go to the Liberation Parade that day. Finally, Obi-Wan had caved, though with great reluctance. They stood near the street, just outside the Senate Building. He was nervous about being so near to the Temple and hoped the security teams wouldn?t show. He was basing a lot on the chance that his Master wouldn?t think he?d come this close.

?We?ll stay for an hour and no more,? he put a hand on her shoulder.

?Three hours,? she pouted.

?Two, final offer,? he looked her straight in the eye. ?We?re taking a big risk, Aleeya.?

?I know,? she looked down, ashamed. ?But I want Lara to see it.?

?All right, but let?s be careful,? Obi-Wan nodded.

They moved softly through the crowd, making sure to keep their hands entwined. Music boomed out from hidden speakers and the crowds were cheering. No speeder traffic was allowed on the Parade route, but Obi-Wan could see a few speeder bikes here and there. Security officers hovered a little too close above the crowds, checking for danger. There were thousands of Senators lining the steps of the Senate Building. The Chancellor stepped forward to an amplifier.

?Ladies and gentlemen,? Valorum?s strong voice rang through the street, silencing the boisterous throng. ?Citizens and civilians. I would like to welcome you to the 2500 anniversary of the formation of the Republic.?

Cheers erupted and became deafening. Obi-Wan put his arm about Aleeya, smiling. She smiled back and kissed him on the cheek. Lara-Ni almost seemed to sit up in her arms, eager to be apart of the action. Valorum silenced the crowd and continued with his speech.

Obi-Wan didn?t bother listening to the long-winded sermon that Valorum and several Senators churned out. Instead, his eyes swept the surrounding area. He had all ready staked out two escape routes for them in case the teams did show. So far, nothing.

??And may this grand Republic stand for two-and-a-half millennia more!? Valorum finished triumphantly, raising his arms. The mass screamed out their agreement & loyalty as the booming music started again. Confetti rained from the sky.

?Look at this,? Aleeya lifted her hand, laughing. ?There?s so much!?

Obi-Wan laughed with her, turning his face up to the sky. Can you smother in confetti? he laughed to himself. Even Lara-Ni was laughing.

They stood

5. freak-pudding

Dec 29, 2002
    *sigh* Well, we've only got two or three more chaps until the end & then the sequel. Excited? I'm not. [face_laugh] I haven't written the sequel to this yet, so you'll have to wait a bit longer for chapters on that.

[b]Part 5: The Last Straw[/b]

Living with Dexter Jettster for the next few days made everything so much easier for Aleeya & Obi-Wan. They earned their stay & a little extra by working in his restaurant. Aleeya often worked with Lara-Ni wrapped snugly to her side.

Everything seemed to be going well and there was no more mention of the security teams. Instead, they only had to worry about the random drunks.

?Waitress!? one such patron hiccupped in the corner. ?Can I get some service??

Hermione raced over to the table only to be intercepted by Aleeya.

?Yes, sir?? Aleeya smiled sweetly at Hermione. The blonde gave her a dirty look and stalked away.

?Come sit here on my lap, honey,? he slurred. Obi-Wan watched from the kitchen.

?I?d rather not, sir,? Aleeya adjusted Lara in her little carry sack. ?Is there anything you?d like from the kitchens??

?No, no,? the man seemed ready to cry as she turned away. ?I?m fine.?

?All right,? Aleeya smiled at Obi-Wan and went to the kitchen. ?I need you to cook #4?s.?

?I know,? he cut his eyes at her. They resumed their work for the next few hours. At just around the beginning of the dinner rush, several rough-looking Human men entered the diner. Aleeya moved slowly around to them.

Obi-Wan watched quietly from kitchen, taking in the men as they sat down. Something was oddly familiar about them. Aleeya looked uncertainly back at him as it suddenly dawned on Obi-Wan who they were.

He beckoned frantically to Aleeya and retreated into the shadows of the kitchen.

?Something the matter, boy?? Dexter asked quietly. Obi-Wan didn?t respond.

?Obi-Wan?? Aleeya wiped her hands and lifted Lara-Ni from her side. ?What?s wrong??

?He?s out there,? Obi-Wan whispered.

?Who?? Dexter looked back and forth between the two. ?Who?s out there??

?Oh my Goddess,? her hand flew to her mouth. ?There are Security police too.?

?This isn't good,? Obi-Wan slipped off his apron. ?We need to leave now.?

?Who?s out there?? Dexter asked, more forcefully. Lara began to fuss and he took her in one hand.

?My Master,? Obi-Wan whispered. ?Qui-Gon Jinn.?

?You better get going,? Dexter nodded. ?I?ll cover for you.?

?HEY REDHEAD!? a loud feminine voice boomed from the diner. ?You can?t just leave me here.?

?Hold on!? Aleeya yelled back.

?No!? the door opened with a boom. Hermione stomped over. ?You get your bum back out there!?

?Hermione,? Obi-Wan said urgently. ?Be quiet.?

?Don?t hush me, Jedi!? with those words, their cover was blown. Qui-Gon?s face appeared in the window and blasters went off.

Okay, it was time to think logically about this. Qui-Gon ducked down behind the counter. Had he really just seen his apprentice?

Something inside him was begging for that not to be the boy. He looked so different. Less? innocent? Perfect? Qui-Gon?s face twisted into sneer as he remembered waking up and finding the note. It had been meant as an apology, but it felt like taunt. [i]Catch me if you can[/i], it seemed to say.

Blaster fire ricocheted around him from the kitchen. The blonde waitress who?d blown Obi-Wan?s cover dashed out into the diner, screeching at the top of her lungs.

?I?m quitting, Dex!? she cried. ?I swear this is the last straw!?

?Hardly!? a huge, four-armed creature roared back. ?Now shut the hell up!?

Qui-Gon smirked. What lovely people Obi-Wan was hiding with.

?Uh, Dex??

?Why aren?t you gone?? Dex shouted above the din. There was too much commotion.

?There?s a slight problem,? Aleeya rolled her eyes. ?We?re surrounded.?

?Even the back?? Obi-Wan looked startled.

?Yep,? Aleeya grinned at him. ?Just our luck, huh??

?Blast.? Obi-Wan looked down at the lightsaber on his belt. He didn?t want to use it against his Master?

?Hang on,? h

6. freak-pudding

Dec 29, 2002
    Oh yes. *insert evil cackle here* Time for some good ole Obi-torture. WOOHOO! I love myself when i'm this depressing...

[b]Part 6: Wanted What's Best[/b]

?Easy, easy,? Obi-Wan whispered, sliding Aleeya gently onto the bed. He put Lara-Ni down on the nearby chair and hurried back to Aleeya. She moaned and twisted, trying to pull herself away from the pain. Obi-Wan worriedly hovered above her, unsure of what to do.

A few inaudible words slipped through Aleeya?s gasps of pain as Obi-Wan gently peeled her tunic away. Burnt, ravaged flesh traced its way down her soft neck, right to the top of her breast bone.

?No,? Obi-Wan whispered softly, staring at the damage. Aleeya moaned again. Lightning cracked in the sky and a loud peal of thunder rocked the rickety motel. Lara-Ni began sobbing loudly. Rain pounded down on the flimsy metal walls. Obi-Wan just sat there, stock-still, a feeling of great dread filling his heart.

[i]I can?t fix this wound,[/i] he realized sadly. Tears flowed down his face. Aleeya moaned and flung an arm out. The room was almost silent except for the baby & the rain.

A soft sob escaped Obi-Wan?s lips and he started. It sounded so alien now. [i]What kind of man are you? No man cries.[/i] But, in the face of everything, Obi-Wan couldn?t help but break down. Everything that had happened in the past three months was just? too [i]much[/i]. He just couldn?t handle it.

As the weight of the overwhelming tension pulled down on his shoulders, Obi-Wan slumped forward and sobbed into Aleeya?s stomach. It was hopeless and he knew it. There was no way that he could treat that wound without a medic. But if he sought outside help, Qui-Gon would find them.

?Why?? he whispered. ?It?s not fair! I just? I just wanted what was best.?

How could he know what was best? Now, the Padawan regarded every single decision he?d ever made with doubt & suspicion. Had he ever been right? Maybe this was all a huge mistake that would end up fatally for all of them. And it would be his fault.

Obi-Wan ground the heels of his hands into his eyes. This was not how a Jedi acted. A Jedi should?

Bile rose in his throat as he realized what he?d been thinking. He was no longer a Jedi. There was no way they?d forgive him for this.

Obi-Wan looked back at his ailing lover and a small piece of his heart died right there in that backwater hotel.

It was around midnight. Not a sound had been heard from their room so far. That meant that Qui-Gon hadn?t seen where they were going. Obi-Wan breathed a sigh of relief as he wrung out the lukewarm towel. He had been sponging Aleeya?s wound over and over for the past few hours.

Lara-Ni had cried herself to sleep and Obi-Wan berated himself for ignoring the infant. Aleeya?s cries had diminished to nothing and she lay still on the bed. Obi-Wan rubbed her arms, trying to bring back that pink, healthy glow, but to no avail. Her skin was snow white.

?Aleeya?? Her chest movements were growing smaller and smaller. Terrified, Obi-Wan dropped the rag and scooped her small frame into his arms. ?Aleeya? Answer me, please!?

A vein of terror ran through his voice, causing it to tremble. Rain battered down on the metal roof. Small rivers of water dripped slowly around him, but Obi-Wan was oblivious.

?Aleeya!? Obi-Wan?s voice became more panicked. ?Stay awake!?

A clap of thunder shook the weak building. Obi-Wan held his love closer, tears running down his cheeks unchecked.

?Please!? his voice was wracked with sobs as he flung out the words. ?Please! If there?s anyone, any[i]thing[/i], out there to hear me, please! Don?t take her!?

His words became an unrestrained oath to nameless deities as he pleaded for her life.

?Please!? Aleeya?s body went limper in his arms. ?PLEASE! I need her! She?s? she?s all I have!?

He bowed his head, crying into her robes.

?She?s all I have left??

Something in the storm changed and the wind quieted. Obi-Wan raised his head, confused. His tears had tracked cle

7. freak-pudding

Dec 29, 2002
    Part 7: Duty or Love?

Somehow, their search for a better hiding place in the bowels of Coruscant had led them straight into the Industrial Sector. The part they were currently traversing just so happened to be filled with the largest and most dangerous factories. Not to mention the twenty or so security officers running behind them.

?How the frell did they find us?!? Aleeya called to Obi-Wan.

?I don?t know!? he replied, annoyed. ?C?mon.?

He pulled her into an open doorway, narrowly avoiding arrow fire from behind them. The Security Forces were using poison arrows instead of blasters because Obi-Wan could easily deflect the blaster bolts. The building was a huge factory filled with confusing, narrow catwalks trailing over huge vats and sharp-looking machines. Glancing behind him, Obi-Wan vaulted over a railing and lifted Aleeya over. It disturbed him to find she?d lost so much weight.

They raced through the narrow paths, the Security Forces right on their tails. Finally, they reached a large, open space where Obi-Wan shoved Aleeya behind a column and took their daughter. The Security skidded around the corner, followed by two very familiar figures.

?Hello Master Windu,? Obi-Wan said quietly. ?Hello, Qui-Gon.?

The two Jedi stopped a few feet away.

?Obi-Wan,? Qui-Gon caught his breath and stood loosely. Mace looked between the two, unsure.

?So you?ve found us,? the boy stated simply, his blue-green eyes betraying nothing. ?Congratulations. You must be so proud.?

?Of course not,? Qui-Gon replied. ?What is there to be proud of??

The boy?s nostrils flared, the only outward signal to his feelings. But underneath the surface, his thoughts were raged and broken. The blaster strapped to his leg appeared in his hand.

?Think about what you?re doing,? Qui-Gon tried his best to stare down the boy, to break the wall blocking the Master from reading his Padawan?s emotions. ?Do you really want to do this??

?Do what? Defend my family??

?Jedi cannot have families. It goes against the Code.?

Obi-Wan said nothing, only looked Qui-Gon square in the eye. His expression seemed to say, Who said I was still a Jedi?

?I?m waiting for your amazing words of wisdom,? Obi-Wan?s eyes flashed at Qui-Gon?s careless jab.

?I?m beginning to wonder who likes the sound of their voice more,? Aleeya remarked dryly as she looked between Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. ?Please, Qui-Gon, be reasonable.?

?Don?t bother,? Obi-Wan keep his hard stare on his Master. ?Just stay there.?

In a sudden movement, Obi-Wan shot at the cables above the group, dropping part of a catwalk between the two opponents. The Guards opened fire as each person took cover somewhere. The arrows continually missed their mark, and soon the fire began to diminish to nothing.

?Don?t be rash, Obi-Wan!? Mace urged.

?You?re throwing your life away, son!? one of the security guards added. Obi-Wan?s expression remained impassive as he clutched the infant to his chest. Qui-Gon climbed over the debris with Mace & the security at his heels.

?I won?t let you have Lara-Ni,? he replied. ?You?ll have to kill me to get her.?

?You?re being foolish, Obi-Wan,? Qui-Gon stepped closer. ?Just surrender & hand over the child and no one gets hurt.?

?Are you threatening me, Master?? Obi-Wan asked coolly. Qui-Gon was taken aback by his apprentice?s expression. Obi-Wan handed Lara-Ni to Aleeya and smirked. ?I was wrong about my dream, you know.?

He circled Qui-Gon while Aleeya slipped further into the shadows, blaster held at ready.

?It was not I who is to make the decision. It was you,? he stopped in front of Qui-Gon.

?The choice is between duty and love. On one hand,? he held out his right hand, ?you have duty: you kill me and take the baby. On the other,? he held out his left, ?you have love: defend me and save my daughter?s life.?

He moved his hands up and down, mimicking a weigh. Obi-Wan arched an eyebrow and smiled.

?Make your decision, Master,? he let his hands be still, holding them out. S

8. freak-pudding

Dec 29, 2002
    Part 8 (Last Chapter): It Wasn't Enough

?Duty then,? Obi-Wan sighed, obviously disappointed. ?So be it.?

He raised his own saber.

?Good luck, Master,? he whispered, making the first sweep. Aleeya took one look around her and dashed for the lower levels. The guards gave chase along with Mace, shooting at her fleeing form.

?I?ve often wondered how this would end,? Obi-Wan remarked quietly. ?Perhaps, if I close my eyes, I can pretend that this is just a practice session.?

?Closing your eyes only aids your attacker,? Qui-Gon grunted, deflecting a heavy blow to his shoulder and returning it with a sweep at Obi-Wan?s legs. The boy jumped away, laughing.

?Still playing the defensive?? he asked. ?Don?t you ever have fun??

?I wouldn?t consider this fun,? Qui-Gon returned. ?But tell me, what did you expect??

?What do you mean? Your choice?? the younger man gave a hollow laugh. ?I guess? I expected what I got. I always knew you were a sucker for duty, I just didn?t know it went this far.?

The jab went farther than Obi-Wan had expected as his Master faltered. Obi-Wan seized the opportunity and drove Qui-Gon back onto a catwalk. Soon, they were in the middle of a huge maze with the ground hundreds of meters below.

?What?s left then?? Obi-Wan had ceased talking to Qui-Gon and now was simply thinking out loud. ?I mean, even if I drive you back enough to escape with Aleeya & Lara-Ni, you?ll still chase us. It doesn?t matter where we go. You?ll just barge right in and claim the baby for yourselves. Even if we went out of the Republic, you?d still take her.?

?Obi-Wan, you are but a boy,? Qui-Gon said, his voice hardening. If he started to feel sorry for the boy, he could jeopardize the mission. ?You talk about the world like it?s someplace that you?ve been. You haven?t seen as much as you think.?

?I?ve seen more than you?ll ever know,? Obi-Wan?s eyes darkened. ?I?ve seen the truth of the Jedi. And not the ?truth? they teach us at the Temple, the real truth. The ugly truth.?

?I don?t know what you?re expecting me to say,? Qui-Gon jumped over his apprentice, taking him from behind.

?I don?t want you to say anything,? Obi-Wan replied, sweeping down at him. The saber went through the railing instead. Several more blows fell & were parried and Obi-Wan began to wonder if he was going to make it out alive.

A scream came from below and Obi-Wan diverted his attention in that single moment. That moment was all it took. One blow; he couldn?t block it. A diagonal slice across his chest, burning his soul. Time slowed. He stumbled backwards, hitting the rail behind him. It wasn?t enough. The broken metal bent under his weight and he began falling.

Images tumbled through his mind. Snatches of memories, places he couldn?t remember but recognized somehow.

Can you smother in confetti?
    ?What?s left then??
    Time remains of the essence.
    ?You dead yet??
    The shattering force of thousands.
    Too much commotion.
    One for the millions.
    ?Something wrong??
    No more running.
    Aleeya lifts her hand, laughing.
    ?Sometimes you just gotta grit your teeth and hope for the best.?
    ?You talk about the world like it?s someplace that you?ve been.?
    ?Tell me, what did you expect??
    A small ivory hand, reaching out for love.
    Amber eyes.
    End of an era.
    ?Love or duty??
    ?I love you.?
    ?I?m sorry.?
    ?I expected more.?
    ?I won?t let that happen.?
    It wasn't enough.

I wasn't enough

?Obi-Wan!? Qui-Gon rushed to the railing. He had never meant to hurt his apprentice. He searched frantically for the boy, and saw him on his feet, thankfully. Obi-Wan rushed to the fallen girl?s side.

Qui-Gon jumped over the railing and landed two floors above the ground. Mace threw a fleeting glance in his direction. Qui-Gon ran the rest of the way to the ground. There, his apprentice was cradling the girl. The infant lay nearby, unhurt but crying.

?Aleeya, no,? the pain in Obi-Wan?s voice as he cradled her body stung Qui-Gon. The guards finally all came

9. Lady_Moonbeam

Lady_Moonbeam Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    No! Don't hurt Obi-Wan!

What can I say? Aleeya's death was tragic and her last words even more so (much better than a certain Jedi Master's), and now I'm wondering what Obi-Wan is going to do now!

10. Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl

Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2001
    QUIGON YOU BIG @$$HOLE!!!!!

11. freak-pudding

Dec 29, 2002
    Lady_Moonbeam: Don't worry, this isn't over. Not by a long shot! There are four more stories after this:

Papercut
    By Myself
    Addiction
    Asylum

Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl: I know. I was pissed off at him too! But he will redeem himself someday... [face_mischief]

12. Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl

Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2001
    SOMEDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT BETTER BE RIGHT NOW!!!!!! I MEAN HE KIDNAPPED OBIWAN'S KID!!!!!!!!!!!! *GROWLS*

13. freak-pudding

Dec 29, 2002
    Jenny: Wow, you're really mad about this, huh? 8-}

14. jedi7

jedi7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    I was wondering, did the poison arrow kill Aleeya, or did it puncture her lung, and that killed her?, and those jedi sure are cold, they- Mace & Jinn just walked away while the security police beat and kicked Obi-wan. :mad: 7

15. freak-pudding

Dec 29, 2002
    jedi7: Hey... I remember you from ff.net! I posted this story there under the name "With You." Don't worry, you'll find that out in the next story...

16. Renton Kenobi

Renton Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2000
    *Pulls out her rifle* Anyone up for a little wearegoingtokillquigon hunt?

17. TheSwedishJedi

TheSwedishJedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 2001
    :eek: :mad: :mad:

Of all the stupid *^$#%&%&... Can't they just let them have the kid? And Obi lived through all that? The arrows and the beating? (Isn't the beating a bit much too?) And the Jedi are just letting him get beat? :mad: Dude, now I really do need to read the rest. I understand where Qui is coming from, but Obi was his PADAWAN!. Grrr...

Pleasantly waiting for the next addition.

~Swede :p

18. Renton Kenobi

Renton Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2000
    Police brutality boys and girls?

19. freak-pudding

Dec 29, 2002
    Renton Kenobi: Lmao! I think I'll join you...

TheSwedishJedi: lol! Don't worry, I'm working on it!

Renton Kenobi: Too true...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.