main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Broncos and Football 2009

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by BFett88, Apr 15, 2008.

1. BFett88

BFett88 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 5, 2003
    They released the schedules today. Here is a link to the Broncos.

Schedule

I don't think they are going to do to well this year. Maybe 500 if we are lucky.

2. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Though I am always more optimistic than most people, I have to disagree with you simply because of the teams they are facing this year. Looking at the schedule, the Broncos are only playing 4 teams that actually made the playoffs last season (5 if you count both Charger games).

The Broncos offseason hasn't been very spectacular or memorable, but what they have done is sign some under-the-radar impact players that will be able to immediately come in here and make the team better. Boss Bailey was the big signee, but we also signed guys like Niko Koutouvides (new starting MLB), Darrell Jackson & Keary Colbert (WRs), and Marlon Mcree (S). I see the defense improving a lot from last season with the new linebacker additions. If you look at some of the games from last season, the reason we sucked so much on run defense wasn't the D-line, but the linebackers being out of position. Putting DJ back on the outside and having a natural MLB to run the defense will get our D back to how it was when Al Wilson was here.

But of course, this team is only going to be as good as the offensive and defensive lines play. Last season we had multiple injuries to both lines and it hurt us A LOT. We had trouble on offense because guys like Chris Myers and Chris Kuper were starting in place of Tom Nalen and Ben Hamilton. This year, both of those guys will be back, but we might just have new players in every other position. Lepsis retired, so it could be either a top draft pick that takes his place at left tackle, or perhaps Ryan Harris who we drafted last year.

We have gobs of talent on the defensive ends in Ebenezer Ekuban, my man Elvis Dumervil, and our top two picks from last year Jarvis Moss and Tim Crowder. The big problem is the middle of the line, where Marcus Thomas will end up lining up next to a player yet to be determined. I expect that we either find a way to draft one of the top two defensive tackles, or end up involving Domonique Foxworth in a draft-day trade to get a veteran who isn't way past his prime that we'll be releasing at the end of the season (coughSamAdamscough).

The NFL draft is next weekend. (hooray for it not being the same weekend as StarFest this year!) In the first round I see us either going after DTs Glen Dorsey or Sedrick Ellis (either trade up to get one of them or pray Ellis falls to the 12 spot), drafting running back Rashard Mendenhall, or picking up a top offensive lineman like OT Ryan Clady (this is what most mock drafts see us doing).

Things will start getting very interesting next weekend. Can't wait.

3. MoD-Sith

MoD-Sith Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2003
    all i am able to do is laugh at you broncos fans. you always think youre gonna do good and then you dont and you start making excuses. atleast i can admit when the raiders suck, but all they can do is go up, so things are looking good.

hows everybody?

4. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Well, we pretty much expect the playoffs every year because they've been making the playoffs regularly since the late 70's. :p

Can't wait til September. :)

5. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    You can say what you want about the Titans, however Jeff Fisher is a good guy. (it is a long article) he he

NASHVILLE, TN, May 23, 2008 ? Something about Jeff Fisher makes him a fixture of endurance and perseverance.

As his team gathers for workouts, Fisher builds toward his 14th consecutive full season as an NFL head coach. Those seasons were preceded by six games in 1994 as interim head coach of the Houston Oilers, who became the Titans in 1997.

How has he done it?

Well, his owner, Bud Adams, is as old-school as old-school gets. And Adams gets it. Hire a coach you trust, let him work and stick with him. Adams has.

Fisher, 50, has won. Enough. His 120 career victories, two divisional titles, four playoff appearances and trip to Super Bowl XXXIV have solidified his status.

His teams play a fundamental, bruising brand of football with just enough flash and sizzle (see Music City Miracle) to keep you coming back for more. He knows a good football player ? he describes the core ingredients as speed and toughness ? when he sees one and has kept a slew of them on his roster.

He is a defensive tactician bred on USC football, where he played safety under John Robinson; bred on the NFL game, where he played for the Chicago Bears under Mike Ditka and spent the early part of his coaching career under tutors that included Buddy Ryan. In games, Fisher can adjust on the fly on either side of the ball with the best of coaches.

I believe this, however, to be the central key why Jeff Fisher lasts ? he builds amazing trust with his players and they sell out for him. His communication and influence with his players is second to none in the profession.

And his approach with players is uncommon. Courageous. Uplifting. Smart.

"Sometimes coaches are fearful of developing relationships with players," Fisher said. "They don't know how to match that with the model, the line that says there is a definitive one between coach and player. But I have had players like Eddie George, Frank Wycheck and Steve McNair who are lifelong friends. The most important thing you can have in a team is trust. The relationships. You take the rookies we have in here right now, they probably don't trust me. But I'll earn their trust.

"I don't believe that players make mistakes on purpose nor does the coaching staff. If you try to make players do things they cannot do, they won't trust you. But you have to get them to go way beyond their expectations in doing the things they can do. And, this game, it has to be fun. With the pressures, you have to have fun."

This approach ? in a football era of MySpace and Facebook and players who often come from challenging social strata ? keeps Fisher relevantHe is proud that his three children all attended the same elementary, middle and high schools, a rarity for any parent in the coaching profession.

Fisher has changed staffs, changed quarterbacks, changed general managers and succeeded. Every camp, every season for Fisher is more exciting than the last one.
    "I wake up every day wanting to win just like my owner does and understand that is why I am here," Fisher said. "Every year, every season for me is like the first one all over again. If you know the truth about yourself, you can get past things. We live in the same world on the field but a very different one off the field. Things are going to happen with players. I'm going to get those 3 a.m. calls. What I do is take a deep breath ? and wait. Wait to get all of the facts. Don't rush to act."

This approach has helped Fisher navigate his franchise through relocation, through stadium transitions and through initial doubt throughout Nashville's and Tennessee's political communities and neighborhoods to loyal acceptance of the Titans. Since 1999, when the Titans moved into their stadium nestled near the Cumberland River, the franchise has sold out every pre-season and regular-season game. His various and frequent charity work in the area has long been applauded.

Two seasons ago, the Titans began 0-5 but finished 8-8, narrowly mis

6. Mistress

Mistress Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 28, 2002
    They are having a drawing for season tickets here on campus. The chances are 1:150. Thems good odds.

7. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    nnay, I started reading your post, thinking that you actually wrote it!

duh. [face_plain]

good luck in the drawing Mistress, & go broncos!!

8. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
  9. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002

Oh shucks.. :) yes i have a side job writing for the nashville newspaper still. :) i am going to check out the TITANS site today.

10. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    So Grim, give me more dirt. Did you go to practice today? How are we looking. Don't we still need a kicker???

11. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Well, if by "practice" you mean "check the sports sites while at work," then yes. ;)

We need a kicker, yes. There are a couple prospects on the team but we won't really know how good they are till they get their feet wet in preseason. One of the guys, whose name eludes me at the moment, is said to have Elam-like range.

Brandon Marshall (our #1 WR) had a meeting with Commissioner Goodell yesterday to talk about his off-field issues. Shanahan says it's a good sign that they talked for two hours, so perhaps he won't be suspended. The rest of the recieving corps is filled with questionable free agents, and guys past their prime like Stokely and Darrell Jackson.

Keep your fingers crossed that Tom Nalen recovers fully from his knee surgery and plays what could be his final season before walking into the hall of fame. (With Smith and Elam now gone, he is the only one left from the Super Bowl days.)

Tony Scheffler had another foot injury this offseason, but if he is healthy this year he'll be Cutler's go-to guy again.

I'm very excited to see what the young D-line will be like this year. All the those draft picks from the last couple of years and a few veterans sprinkled in could mesh very well.

Ian Gold also retired, so it looks like a it'll be a re-vamped linebacking corps with DJ Williams (moving back to his natural outside position), Niko, and Boss Bailey.

This should be John Lynch's final season as well, and the door behind him is about to bust open with a pair of free agent safeties signed in the offseason, as well as a rookie and returning guys like the speedy Hamza Abdula.

Dominique Foxworth did not get traded! Woohoo! :D

Selvin Young is the front-runner to take over the starting running back job, but who knows what'll happen between now and playoff time. :p

Jay Cutler will be WAY better than he was last year, now that his diabetes is under control. Remember that 70-yard TD bullet he threw his rookie year that hit the receiver right in the numbers on the goal line? Me too. :D

12. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    wooohooo! we have a good running back!!!

Johnson adds speed to compliment workhorse White

Top draft pick Chris Johnson adds an element of speed the Titans haven't had at running back before.
    NASHVILLE, TN, July 30, 2008 ? LenDale White is experiencing flashbacks to his days as ?Thunder? when he shared USC?s vaunted backfield with Reggie Bush.

Tennessee?s 2008 first-round draft pick Chris Johnson ran a 4.24 40-yard dash and has impressed early in training camp with his sharp cuts and effective hands.

13. Reya

Reya Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 28, 2007
    I pinned my ticket from last year to my bulletin board yesterday in hopes that I get to go to a game again this year...

I am so excited for the season to start!

14. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Anyone up for going to training camp one morning?

15. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    I would love to go to training camp. But we had a guy walk out on us at work, so we're all working six days a week (the boss is working seven days) to cover for him.

Man, I've never been to a Broncos Football game, but I want to soooooo bad!

Man, Nalen is the only one left from the Super Bowl days? Wow. Rod Smith better go to the Hall of Fame! I was watching the Top Ten Players Not in the Hall of Fame on NFL Network yesterday. That voting council is anti-Bronco man!

16. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    They are. Gradishar should totally be in, especially if Tippet is. I believe the players from the Super Bowl days who are Hall of Fame worthy are Elway, Terrell Davis, Zimm, Tom Nalen, Rod Smith, Shannon Sharpe, Jason Elam, and maybe Atwater.

I think Sharpe gets in easily, but the rest might be lost to the Denver curse. But I really feel like if they don't let Davis in, they HAVE to vote Nalen in. Our running attack has just been too good in the Shanahan era. Not only that, but Shanahan thinks Nalen is the greatest center of all time.

17. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    fantasy football thread is up!

18. MoD-Sith

MoD-Sith Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2003
    Jamarcus Russel + Darren McFadden + Michael Bush means that you guys will get run all over opening monday night. im still just laughing

19. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Won't get very far without an offensive line. ;)

20. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    OH MY GOSH!!!!

They have remotes for Teams for NFL Sunday Tickets..for your team. If i could get on photobucket i would post the TITANS one...i want it i want it!!!

21. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    ALL I can say is WOW! OUR new running back....Chris Johnson..WOW...he is sooo fast! and tough..i am telling ya it was like watching a bullet. if you have NFL network try to catch the atlanta and titans game...he is like lighting fast.

i haven't seen him yet this year soo yeah.

vince is throwing A LOT better too...i mean accurate.

in all seriousness...we are looking prettyyy good this year. we have a TOUGH schedule.

Grimby says second toughest in the league..i say THE toughest. ;)

sorry about the broncos...i didn't get to see the game but i saw they lost. :(

22. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    The Packers won because they kept their starters in longer. Broncos were winning at half time though. :)

And I still say the NFC East is the toughest division in football: Giants, Cowboys, Redskins, and Eagles. Those four teams are going to kill each other to get into the playoffs again this year, and the two wild card teams will most likely come from this division yet again.

23. jthornto

jthornto Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2005

How likely would this be to happen? I'm all for more regular season games, but wouldn't this make comparing records to previous seasons a problem? Let alone the longevity of players in the league?

NFL eyes extension of season

To the interest of virtually no one, the Broncos will play the Arizona Cardinals in the most meaningless of preseason games Friday night.

Jay Cutler won't play. Champ Bailey won't play. Virtually no Broncos starter will play.

So why play?

The question is no longer a squeamish subject among NFL executives and owners. League management wants to decrease the number of preseason games in exchange for an increase in regular-season games. For scheduling convenience, the preference would be to shift the four preseason/16 regular-season split that has existed since 1978 to two games in the preseason and 18 in the regular season.

24. Nerfherders

Nerfherders RMFF Treasurer star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    preseason games are very important for showing the coaches who is going to make the team and who is not. A team starts with something like 100 players and has to wittle that down to 53. It is not that easy to do just by watching them practice. If you've ever seen an episode of Hard Knocks on HBO you will know what I am talking about.

25. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    If they do this at all it should be 3 preseason games and 17 regular season games. Adding 2 extra games is just overkill. Half the league doesn't even show up the final week of the season anyway and we still have players barely making it through the season. Yeah, sure stats will be permanently altered, but it's not like that's never happened before. They only used to play 14 games prior to 1978.