main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Broncos and Football 2009

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by BFett88, Apr 15, 2008.

1. anthonymaul

anthonymaul Jedi Master star 4

Mar 22, 2004
    Broncos 35
    Raiders 17

2. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    NAIL biter today! man it was rough! Young needs to get some better receivers and he needs to really get it together! we won...however, our offense did so much better AFTER Young was injured and Collins came in.

REGARDLESS...our DEFENSIVE was AMMMMMAAAAAZZZZZZZINGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!

I mean we are talking championship quality. Haneysworth, Vandenbosh...amazing!!!

if you want good players for your FF team, you need them.

3. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    good opening sunday :) the Jets pulled one out. a nice welcome for Favre.
    bummer day for the Pats though. bye Tom :)
    Im glad the Chargers lost. sick of hearing about them here. whos their QB again? ... Rivers? .... totally forgettable.
    SO sick of hearing/arguing about the raiders. cant wait for that game tomorrow. omg i hope the broncos win. [face_praying]
    people talking about Cutler like he's new,... and Jamarcus Russel has experience..?!

aaahhhhh.....
    uber sweetness. football is back. :D

4. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Russell looked shaky at best in preseason. Kinda like Rivers does in every game. :p If Rivers didn't have a championship team around him, he'd be in big trouble, kinda like Matt Leinart. Who's starting at QB in Arizona again? ;)

I can't wait to see the Broncos start exceeding the expectations of the "experts."

5. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    all i can say is Chris Johnson. If you don't know who he is..WOW he is amazing...seriously he was dubbed, the fastest man in the NFL. Seriously. (from the titans site) Johnson further turned NFL heads at the NFL Scouting Combine in February 2008, when he was timed in the 40-yard dash at 4.24 seconds.

He was in the top ten rushing leaders yesterday.

oh i just looked Bo Scaife, a Denver native, was in the top recievers as well.

I have to gripe here for a minute. all y'all know i am a huge titans fan. i just get a little put out because the commentators NEVER give the Titans any credit. I mean they do when the game is on, however, when you are watching the pre-show...they just never give them any credit. I mean we do have the longest tenured coach in the NFL...say what you want about the Titans..like or hate them, but Jeff Fisher is one stand up guy and NO one has a bad word to say about him.

It just bothers me...ok i will be quiet now.

6. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    Here is an interesting article from the newspaper in TN. Solomon Wilcox mentioned it yesterday during the game and said it was BS.

I am going through the comments...interesting. :)

7. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    A good coach? Certainly. But you need more than a good coach to get you to the playoffs and beyond. I didn't realize he's only finished above .500 5 times as a head coach. What's amazing is that people in the local media here were calling for Shanahan's head after missing the playoffs two years in a row. I can only imagine what Fisher's been through in the last 15 seasons.

8. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    I had it! I was over at the NFL network and they were ranking the top teams this week...and of course the Titans weren't in it. AND what gets me is that EVERYONE predicted the Jags to win. OOH so mad. so they had a link that said ask Vic...so I did. let's jsut see if it gets answered!!!

Dear Vic,

My question is about the Tennessee Titans. I have been a fan ever since they changed their name and went to the superbowl. We had our down years and I was still a fan. I moved to Denver, CO and I am STILL a fan. I watch all of the talk shows on NFL network and the rest of the stations. This week EVERYONE predicted the Jags would take the Titans. Well guess what they didn't. The Titans have one of the best defenses I have seen in a long time. Vanden Bosh, Bullick, and Haynesworth.

This past Sunday Garrard was sacked SEVEN times, not to mention TWO interceptions on Sunday when last year he only threw three the entire season.

Yes, Vince Young needs to develop his throwing, I will not deny that, however he gets things done by running, then for pete's sake let the guy run. Now with the addition of Chris Williams we now have a real running back the first time since George left.

So all of that to ask my question. Why is it the Titans do not receive any respect from folks like yourself? I realize it is a small franchise, however we do have one FANSTASTIC coach in Jeff Fisher and the fans are loyal. I just get sick and tired of hearing about every other team and how much better they are...EVEN when we manage to make to the play-offs. The Titans still do not get any respect.

Thank you for reading.

9. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    They're not giving the Broncos any respect either. I guess making one of the best secondaries in the NFL look like a peewee team doesn't count for anything.

I'd be interested in seeing if Carucci replies to you. :)

10. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    well the broncos were actually on his top ten list at least. I was just fuming...i tried to not sound like a ditzy girl. so i hope they actually do say something!

11. ArchaicRebel

ArchaicRebel Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2004
    Three words: Chad Ocho Cinco. [face_laugh]

12. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    this is not good...personally i think if they just let Vince play football the way he knows how and quit trying to make him into someone else. THAT is jsut me.

The Titans will aim for their first 2-0 start since the 1999 season when they play at Cincinnati on Sunday.
    NASHVILLE, TN, Sept. 10, 2008 ? There's still a lot of mystery surrounding troubled Tennessee quarterback Vince Young. One thing that's certain is that he won't be in the lineup as the Titans try to open a season 2-0 for the first time since 1999.

With Young sidelined by a sprained medial collateral ligament in his left knee, 14-year veteran Kerry Collins is expected to start as the Titans visit the Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday.
    Young struggled in his season opener, completing 12 of 22 passes for 110 yards with one touchdown and two interceptions. Fans booed heavily as he was slow to head back onto the field late in the fourth quarter. Four plays later, Young hurt his knee and left the game.

That was a blow to the Titans, but the aftermath was far more disturbing. Coach Jeff Fisher called police Monday night to help locate Young, whose mental state was in question. That led to four hours of uncertainty before Young contacted the Titans and met with Fisher, a psychologist and police crisis negotiators at the team's headquarters before driving himself home.

Fisher wasn't specific about why he called the police.

"I was given some information from people that were close to him late afternoon, early evening that was quite honestly very concerning to me. I'm not going to go into specifics, but it was concerning to me," he said.

While the details of Young's situation are still murky, Fisher ruled out his return for Sunday's game on his TV show Tuesday. The coach would not give a timetable past that, calling the test results good news and saying that Young needs to rest his leg.

In Young's place, Collins will start for the fifth time since the beginning of the 2006 season. He went 0-3 in 2006 and 1-0 last year. The Titans signed Chris Simms on Wednesday to back up Collins.

While Young and the Titans struggled offensively last week, the Tennessee defense stepped up to help deliver a 17-10 win over AFC South rival Jacksonville. The Titans had seven sacks, forced three turnovers and held the Jaguars to 189 total yards - third-fewest in the NFL in Week 1.

"I thought this defense was capable of playing really well," Pro Bowl end Kyle Vanden Bosch said. "I knew we would play well today, but I was surprised. We did well in all facets of the game today."

That defensive effort put the Titans in position to go 2-0 for the first time since 1999, when they finished the regular season 13-3 and fell one yard short of a game-tying touchdown in the final seconds of a Super Bowl loss to St. Louis.

Cincinnati is all too familiar with stingy defense after suffering a 17-10 loss to AFC North rival Baltimore last Sunday. The Bengals, who ranked in the top 10 in total offense each of the last two seasons, were held to eight first downs and an NFL-low 154 total yards.

"We got beat," said quarterback Carson Palmer, who was 10-of-25 for 99 yards with an interception and a passer rating of 35.3. "We got outplayed. It was just an ugly game offensively."

Palmer didn't get much help from his offensive line, which gave up two sacks after allowing only 17 all of last season. Palmer was also knocked down repeatedly as the pass protection continued to break down.

"It was spread out - everybody takes some of the blame," coach Marvin Lewis said.

The inauspicious opener didn't do much to calm the controversy surrounding the Bengals, long considered a team in turmoil. Their latest tumultuous offseason featured trade demands from receiver Chad Johnson, who later legally changed his last name to Ocho Cinco.

Ocho Cinco and fellow Pro Bowl receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh both skipped voluntary workouts over the summer, then combined for only four catches and 66 yards in the opener.

Despite his team's ongoing reputation as one of the league's most dysfu

13. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    On Comcast.net they had this:

Russakoff's NFL Power Rankings
    16. Denver Broncos (1-0, LW 22)
    On the bright side, Jay Cutler looked like John Elway and Eddie Royal looked like Rod Smith. On the other hand, the Broncos were playing a Pop Warner team. (AP Photo/Paul Sakuma)

14. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Vince Young is finally dealing with the pressure that most top QB's did in college. Everyone at Texas was kissing his feet, so he never was exposed to high pressure from the media and high expectations. He'll get over it.

Nobody is going to take the Broncos seriously until they beat the Chargers or the Saints (their next two games, which are both in Denver, btw). But even if they don't gain any respect, that's OK. I know they schooled what was supposedly one of the league's top defensive secondaries all night, and in particular one of the league's best cornerbacks in DeAngelo Hall, and got amazingly strong play from their young offensive line. Let's not forget that most "experts" predicted that the Raiders would win this game because they would run the ball all over Denver and would keep the Broncos from being able to pass the ball with their outstanding cornerbacks and safeties. None of that happened. ;)

I'm fine with it if they can fly under the radar all year right into the playoffs.

15. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    GH-that makes sense...thanks!

I found what i want for my birthday!!! LOL

man i am a big dork..star wars or titans stuff...*shakes head*

16. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    this is good...

Titans QB Kerry Collins: Starting QB Vince Young is expected to be out two to four weeks with a sprained left knee, so Collins, a 14-year veteran, will make his fifth start in a Titans uniform. Collins ranks third among active QBs with 34,782 passing yards.

17. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    I'll bet the Broncos and Titans both win this week. :)

18. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    wooohooooo!! good call Ben!

19. sengaeriel

sengaeriel Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 5, 2007
    So true, so true!

20. sengaeriel

sengaeriel Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 5, 2007
    No one's talked about today's game yet?

Okay, I will! LOL!

That was so awesome with that last minute win against the bolts.

For those who don't know me (someone does :D), I've been a BRONCOS fan for thirty years. Even when I moved from Bailey, Colorado to California, I still remained a BRONCOS fan. And, I love talking about them!

21. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    We squeeked by. Started looking like the old Broncos again, why can't they just get a lead & KEEP it?

Don't get me wrong, I'll take the win, even if it was an ugly one :p

22. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    the titans absolutely KILLED the bengals.

now that was some good football...even with the 70 MPH wind gust!!

23. BFett88

BFett88 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 5, 2003
    The Broncos should have lost. Thier defense does not look very good. But I will take the win!!

24. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    As much as I hate the Chargers and think Phillip Rivers is probably the biggest punk in the NFL, they still have one of the best offenses in the league. I have a strong feeling that the Broncos defense is probably going to keep looking better and better as the season goes on. Almost half the starters are new, and it's going to take a while for them to really gel.

I watched the game a second time yesterday (Steelers/Browns game was booooring :p) and it was pretty obvious that the Broncos D was having trouble covering the Chargers' 3 big targets. Champ did a hell of a job against Vincent Jackson, but whoever Dre' Bly wasn't covering was usually open every time. Bly started covering Antonio Gates after he got a big reception or two, but that left Karl Paymah (who I hate because he draws way too many penalties) to cover Chris Chambers, and that was just not a good matchup. That's probably the best of all evils, but I think they realized yesterday that it would have been really nice to still have Foxworth on the team.

It's nice to see the Broncos with a nearly unstoppable offense again. After the first two games, I think you can count on one hand how many times Culter has been touched. What amazes me is how great the two tackles are playing. Rookie left tackle Ryan Clady is a beast, and honestly looks way better than I thought he would. Same thing with Ryan Harris on the other side. And it would be great to have Hall of Fame-bound Tom Nalen playing center, but Weigmann is doing an awesome job in the mean time.

The tandem of Brandon Marshall, Eddie Royal, and Tony Scheffler is going to be really hard for most teams in the league to stop.

25. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Here's a great article from NFL.com that talks about the win and how Jay Cutler takes the Bronco offense to a level Jake Plummer never could.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80ad6f09