main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Broom Boy (Temiri Blagg)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by RyanForder, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    I couldn't believe the film was still dragging on. I actually said "it's still not over??" In the theater.

The scene was unnecessary and silly. So because the kid met Rose and Finn he's tapped into the Force? How does he even know what "the Resistance" is? Why would it matter? Not to mention it of course contradicts the mythos that this child can use telekinesis all on his own with no training or even meeting a Jedi.

Darthmaul208 and phatdude1138 like this.
  2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014

It'll certainly be weird if Luke appears as a Force Ghost in Ep. 9.

[​IMG]

3. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    OMG you should assist RJ on his trilogy [face_rofl]

T-R- likes this.
  4. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    Star Wars movie shouldn't end on a minor character.

sethg and DarthPoojaNaberrie like this.
  5. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    Given the lack of consistency in the ST I don't know why anyone expects anything to be a set-up for something. Especially a random kid with the Force. For all we know JJ will never address him again.

6. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I don't think that meeting with Rose and Finn had anything to do with that- he was force sensitive at birth probably. He knows who Luke Skywalker is so probably he recognizes the Resistance symbol as symbol of Rebel alliance- he has probably heard stories of them at least. And it is pretty well established that some children discover their force abilities without the help of the jedi. Some don't, but some do in some form or another. That's why jedi took most of these in training at young age and Empire had inquisitors to take care of them.

In the Clone Wars TV-series in which baby rodian used the Force on a ball without even being able to talk yet, and that show is canon so it doesn't really "contradict the mythos" to have a broom boy now who discovered some telekinesis on his own. Maybe that boy just discovered the ability after he had proof that resitance (and rebel alliance) actually exists and that inspired him to try something he didn't believe he actually could do. It's like Luke and X-wing in ESB- he didn't believe he can lift it- that's why he failed. Now that boy had a reason to believe and he succeeded.

ladygrey45 and Lulu Mars like this.
  7. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002

If you're going to be like that, then Force training died in TPM with Anakin's podracing.

That said, if initial Force use absolutely required training, then no one would be able to use the Force, because there'd be no initial user to begin with.

8. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I think the scene is great. It shows the continued awakening of potential Force users. The main story line is still the Skywalkers, via Kylo Ren.

9. RyanForder

RyanForder Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 3, 2014
    Sorry but i think a lot of you are over analyzing the scene. Personally i think it was there just to showcase that random people can be strong in the force and it isn't linked to a persons bloodline like previously thought. I don't think we will see the boy again, he was mainly a symbol.

10. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    I thought it was to solidify the the Legend of Luke Skywalker was hitting all the right buttons out there, fueling Hope in the Galaxy. I thought it was the payoff to Leia's line about them having all that they need. I didn't even think about Rey during that scene.

11. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Agreed

12. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015

Yeah, it was just a follow up to the idea that the downtrodden and oppressed people from the farthest reaches of the galaxy would be the foundation of the new rebellion and eventual New New Republic. Kind of a teaser of what to expect in Ep IX with how they will rebuild.

RyanForder and ladygrey45 like this.
  13. MS1

MS1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I think its RJ saying "hey I loved Jake Loyde soooooooo much in the TPM that there should a whole trilogy with someone just like him". Up until he looses the will to live of cause.......

14. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I think the boy used the Force and he is just one of many kids with the Force in the galaxy who will need to learn what to do with that power (or perhaps more importantly, not do with it).

I really think overall this trilogy is very much "for the children." Rey, Finn, Rose, Paige, Kylo, and Hux are all lost children. Rey was abandoned by her parents, Finn was taken from his family and his childhood stolen, Kylo was victim to a child predator.

It may be the hope is placed in the children, because that's the time to keep someone from getting lost. This was a theme for Looper as well.

15. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
  16. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    I didn't know the boy was telling the legend of Luke vs. the FO. I didn't know how he would know about that, or really how anyone would know about it other than those who were there.

I suppose I felt it was supposed to be the Legend of Luke in this way per the movie but some connective pieces were missing. But I mean I suppose I can assume it all ended up on the holonet... somehow.

Luke's appearance restoring the galaxy's hope didn't quite compute for me. I thought that he did that by saving the Resistance. Because that group of people can do a lot if they get out of that situation.

But anyway, I will likely metabolize the intended meaning eventually... It didn't really flow to me from the movie. It was an example of telling > showing. Leia has her lines about how the galaxy is out of hope, and then she declares it's back (or something). Then little kids go on about Luke. Is the galaxy's hope so simplistic as this?

17. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    To kids? Yes. Anakin was like this towards Qui-gon in TPM. Heck, even Rey was like this in TFA.

cwustudent, yanote and oncafar like this.
  18. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    That's the story the other kid was telling right before the kid went outside. I don't know how folks missed that.

Maybe some folks were too busy being butthurt that the movie didn't do exactly what they wanted (and, no, this isn't me being snide).

Too-Gon Onbourbon likes this.
  19. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I guess it was about Luke but it does drive the point home about Rey.

oncafar likes this.
  20. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    yeah, i don't consider myself butthurt about the movie or appreciate how inconsiderate your post to me was. i just remember kids talking in an alien language and saying the name luke skywalker which isn't proof they were talking about the crait battle, which like i said, i don't understand how they knew about it. it's common to miss things with only one viewing of a movie. there's no need to be a jerk to me about it.

21. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Wouldn't be surprised if Kylo goes into a Pharoh Ramses phase and starts to hunt down all Force sensitives (Forcies as I call them) and Rey and her group have to save them.

But Kylo can't kill them. He enslaves them looking for the perfect apprentice and builds on their fears. He starts at Canto Brite.

Lulu Mars and Sarge like this.
  22. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Wouldn't be surprised if Kylo goes into a Pharoh Ramses phase and starts to hunt down all Force sensitives (Forcies as I call them) and Rey and her group have to save them.

But Kylo can't kill them. He enslaves them looking for the perfect apprentice and builds on their fears. He starts at Canto Brite.

23. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    It may not be too farfetched to see the next film start off with an unfamiliar teenager (set a several years into the future from TLJ) being chased by a bunch of stormtroopers. At one point he's cornered with nowhere to go; and all of a sudden you see him holding his hand up with a familiar ring of the Rebels on it, and he waves it to the stormtroopers and says, "you will let me pass through." And then in unison, the group of stormtroopers say, "we will let you pass through". Then the scene shifts to an older looking Rey at the new Rebel's base on (fill in the blanks).

I know many people are arguing about that vague ending, but one thing I wouldn't rule out is that it was intended to be used as a cliffhanger for Ep. IX. I mean you think about it; there weren't too many things that hadn't been resolved by the end of TLJ. We didn't get a Han Solo frozen in Carbonite-esque cliffhanger; that's for sure. I'm inclined to think that there's something about that ending that is intended to directly tie into the next film.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  24. Gemlake

Gemlake Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 9, 2015
    I think this movie shows why JJ decided to push Luke to the side in TFA. It's difficult, if not impossible, to make room for two heroes. So here, while Luke is fighting Kylo, Rey is looking at a pile of rocks.

Not that I disagreed with Rian's decision. Luke vs Kylo was set up beautifully by TFA and could have been an epic moment. I thought at the beginning of the fight that it would be. But then, like so many other moments in the film, the rug gets pulled out and it turns out to be just a mirage. The fight didn't give Luke the big moment that he deserved, although I give Rian points for the surprise factor.

The problem might be that if Luke actually showed up to fight Kylo, there were no good options for the final outcome. Luke would either destroy Kylo, and two defeats in a row for our only big bad would be too much. Or Luke could "sacrifice" himself, but that's been done. Or Kylo could kill Luke, but that would completely shut the door on one of the few remaining mysteries in the trilogy, namely whether the last remaining Skywalker will be redeemed and survive the trilogy.

oncafar likes this.
  25. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    I think Luke's character kinda suffers from the "Superman Syndrome", where he's just too powerful for any storyline. Either he can do just about anything, or you have to introduce something to severely limit his abilities to keep the story interesting, not to mention that most of the choices he could take have already been explored in other films, SW or otherwise. Despite my lack of love for what RJ did with Luke and TLJ in general, I did think the "mirage" power was used in an interesting manner.

Sarge and oncafar like this.