main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends *Brotherhood* ..... **Winner: The Kyp/Jag Buddy Challenge**

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by oldjedinurse, Jun 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    Winner of The Kyp/Jag Buddy Challenge, June 2005...

[image=http://www.geocities.com/jedihealerone/kjbfirst.jpg]

"The K/J Index and the J/J Index got together and devised a way to help us learn to enjoy each other?s stories and writings. So here?s what we did?

The K/J Index randomly selected a line of dialogue for Kyp, plus five words. The J/J Index did the same. What we?re left with is some opening lines of dialogue and ten words necessary for inclusion in your entry.

...We are calling all parties - K/Jer, J/Jers, Z/Jers, L/Mers, A/Pers, Ihatemushers ? to brave our insane design...just a buddy story along the lines of say? Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Dude Where?s My Car or Lethal Weapon. And we encourage using this opportunity to get know each other and their work."

I am extremely pleased that this vignette was chosen as the winner of this special challenge. I hope you all enjoy it! ..oldj

Title: Brotherhood
    Author: oldjedinurse
    Timeframe: Post-NJO
    Genre: Drama
    Characters: Kyp Durron, Jagged Fel
    Keywords: Kyp, Jag
    Summary: A story of bonding in difficult times.
    Notes: Written in response to the "Kyp/Jag Buddy Challenge", May-June 2005.

Brotherhood

?Ktah. Are you trying to get us killed?!?

?Sithspit! Uh?I think I broke it??

Jag grabbed a nearby post to avoid falling through a new gap in the tenth-level walkway. Kyp had been so distracted he?d dropped his end of the heavy trunk.

?Yup. The corner?s broken off.? He sighed and looked over as Jag regained his balance. ?I hope everything inside is okay.?

Jag nodded. It wasn?t hard to forgive Kyp. Not when he was just as distracted as the Jedi.

?Let?s get moving before this old skywalk decides to collapse.?

?Yeah,? Kyp picked up his end of the trunk and they continued forward with their burden.

~~~~~~~~~~

As their borrowed ship streaked through hyperspace, the Jedi Master and Chiss Ambassador sat next to each other, staring at the trunk in front of them. Neither was sure he wanted to open the flood of memories it held, but they had come to retrieve her possessions.

?Protocol states we should catalogue the contents.? Jag?s face was grim. ?That?s what we were asked to do.?

Kyp acknowledged him with a nod. ?I know.? With a slight motion of his right hand the trunk?s lock clattered to the floor. The same hand felt the carvings on the edge of the lid. I wonder why you used this ancient wooden box instead of the standard military issue of camouflaged metal? He paused. You were full of surprises.

Both men held their breath as Kyp opened the box to reveal what was left of the last few months of her life.

The light, flowery scent she sometimes used drifted out to engulf them.

~~~~~~~~~~

In the top tray sat her blaster. Just like Han?s, Kyp thought. He picked it up, holding it for just a moment, and then set it on the table behind them.

When he turned back, there was a red shoe in Jag?s hands. The Ambassador?s Ball on Mon Calamari. It was our last evening together before you left on this mission. The one where you?, he stopped to master the tears threatening to embarrass him. You looked stunning. Your dress, your bag, these shoes. I couldn?t take my eyes off you all evening. He closed his eyes now. I miss you so much.

Jag?s memory was cut short when Kyp asked, ?Why in space would she have shoes like that with her on a mission?? Then he looked up at Jag?s face and quickly realized how thoughtless that question had been. ?Oh. Jag, I?m sorry.?

Jag met his gaze. ?Its okay. Just memories, you know??

?Yeah, I know.?

~~~~~~~~~~

Further down among the clothing, Kyp found a small metal box. He gasped as he reached inside for the delicate teacup and saucer he knew so well.

They had been on Ossus, as the new Jedi center was being set up. She had seemed so exhausted, so lonely, with Jag off on a d

2. Courtney_Solo

Courtney_Solo Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    You should have posted this on the challenge!!! Oh well. I liked it!

3. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
    Its okay, Courtney. I did post it in the challenge!

Thanks - I'm glad you liked it.

oldj

4. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

:_| Wow! That was so sad! :_|

There's something about the way you wrote this vignette with both Jag and Kyp mourning her and the reference to her family having lost their 'last child' that makes it so sad, and yet makes you feel like she's still there with them. Beautiful! =D=

5. Courtney_Solo

Courtney_Solo Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    Wait...you posted the whole thing? Of THIS? Whoa... :D

6. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
    LadyPadme -

Wow! That was so sad!
    :( **author reads viggie again** Whoa. It is sad, isn't it?

There's something about the way you wrote this vignette with both Jag and Kyp mourning her and the reference to her family having lost their 'last child' that makes it so sad, and yet makes you feel like she's still there with them. Beautiful!
    :) Thanks so much, LP. I think these two would both be lost without her, and as for Han and Leia, well that goes without saying.

I really appreciate you taking the time to read and review. Thanks again.

oldj

Courtney -

Whoa, yourself, miss! You're doing really well on the boards, Courtney! (Yes, I've been reading, sometimes posting and sometimes lurking...) **bad lurking author/reader** I promise I'll post in your stories more, but I'm around! ;)

oldj

7. DCWiz00

DCWiz00 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 29, 2004
    :_| Ok, I'm all misty eyed now...simply wonderful. It just goes to show what a good woman can do to bring two people together. Bravo!

8. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
    DCWiz00 -

Ok, I'm all misty eyed now...simply wonderful. It just goes to show what a good woman can do to bring two people together. Bravo!
    [face_blush] Thank you! I'm always happy when one of my stories is meaningful to someone...

oldj

9. Solo_and_Fel

Solo_and_Fel Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2004
    So I lurked in that challenge and was saddened by your entry (in a good way). And then when I saw it reposted, I took it as a sign to delurk and state that this was a great viggie. There was a cool balance between their individual connections with her and their shared sadness. Nice job. =D=

10. kellaina

kellaina Jedi Youngling star 1

May 13, 2004
    :_| That was so sad and beautiful! I loved how instead of driving them apart, their love for Jaina actually bonded them together. Fantastic job!

11. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
    Solo_and_Fel -

So I lurked in that challenge and was saddened by your entry (in a good way). And then when I saw it reposted, I took it as a sign to delurk and state that this was a great viggie. There was a cool balance between their individual connections with her and their shared sadness. Nice job.

:cool: Hey, thanks for delurking!! And for reading this in the first place.

I appreciate your comments and I'm really pleased that you liked it!

kellaina -

That was so sad and beautiful! I loved how instead of driving them apart, their love for Jaina actually bonded them together. Fantastic job!

:D Thank you so much for reading - I'm so happy you enjoyed it!

oldj

12. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
    :)

Thanks to everyone who appreciated this viggie:

...to my fellow J/Jers, and

...to my new K/Jer friends!
    [:D]

@};- oldj @};-

13. Valin_Halcyon

Valin_Halcyon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    That was awsome, oldj! [:D]

14. tangled_sphere

tangled_sphere Jedi Master star 4

Dec 28, 2003
    Oh, that just gave me the shivers ojn! So sad and so beautiful at the same time. Loved the memories they have of her [face_love] So in a way, she is still with them, and a new friendship has formed [face_love]

Wonderful! @};- Congrats! :D

15. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
    Val:

That was awsome, oldj! [:D]
    [:D] Right back at ya, Val! Thanks so much, my friend!!

t_s:

Oh, that just gave me the shivers ojn! So sad and so beautiful at the same time. Loved the memories they have of her So in a way, she is still with them, and a new friendship has formed
    :D Exactly what I was hoping readers would think and feel!

Wonderful! Congrats!
    [:D] How many times can I thank you? There's no 'cap' on that! [face_love]

..oldj..

16. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    oldj, this is a really beautiful piece!! :D I love the way you wrote Jag and Kyp's emotions over Jaina's death and their relationship with her without actually saying her name. Congratulations on winning!!! :D

17. Smuggler_Shidakis

Smuggler_Shidakis Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    That was absolutely beautiful...

Excuse me while I get over my speechlessness.

=D==D==D=

18. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
    Nat:

I love the way you wrote Jag and Kyp's emotions over Jaina's death and their relationship with her without actually saying her name.
    :D Thanks! It was a fun exercise avoiding her name.

Congratulations on winning!!!
    :cool: Thanks again. I'm shocked.

Shidakis:

That was absolutely beautiful... Excuse me while I get over my speechlessness.
    [face_blush] I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Hope you weren't speechless for long...

oldj

19. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    I just found this. Wow. Just simply excellent. You did an exceptional job writing this, oldjedinurse=D= .

20. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
    Earthknight:

I just found this. Wow. Just simply excellent. You did an exceptional job writing this, oldjedinurse

Thanks very much! :) I'm really happy that so many people have enjoyed it!

oldj

21. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    You're welcome :) And you shouldn't be surprised--it was one of the best :)

22. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    COngrats grandpadawan on the win... it is most sad post. Of all the things for those two to bond over. Absolutely beautiful! *sniff*

23. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    I'm running out of things to say Oldj.

Congratulations, of course.

And I'll throw in Amazing, Fantastic, Superb.

=D= =D= =D=

24. WynssaStarflare

WynssaStarflare Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    Congrats ojn[:D][face_dancing]:D This story is truly worthy. :)
    --Wynssa

25. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Sorry I'm so late in getting to this one [face_blush] Since I'm someone who has never let a "K/J" or "J/J" in the title determine whether I would read the story or not, I should have paid more attention to this challenge :p

stepping on the cape only to discover the true depth of the water-filled hole. After the cloth disappeared, so did her booted foot and pant leg nearly to her knee.

[face_laugh] Way to go, slick :p

We can appreciate our friendship. Without her,? he shook his head. ?Without her, we probably would never have flown together, let alone become friends.

Aww.

Really great little viggie, oldj, I can see why it won :) Loved all the sweet memories of Jaina, even if it is sad to think of her passing on. Each man had a special relationship with her and I think it's great that you found a way to make them bond over that shared interest.

Anyway, excellent work, as always. You continue to impress :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.