Bruins/NHL 2005 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Boston, MA' started by DarthWormie, Aug 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthWormie Jedi Master

star 4
    I know we've touched on the subject over in the Random Thread, but I figured it's time to give the B's a thread of their own.

The free agency period kicked off yesterday and the season starts in 2 months. With many teams buying out high-priced talent to fit under the new salary cap, there should be alot of players changing teams over the next couple of weeks.

Mike O'Connell has (slowly) started to put together this years squad. Yesterday they acquired Brad Ibister from the Oilers for a 4th round pick in next years draft. As for potential FA's that might make their way to Boston. The early rumors have the B's interested in signing such players as Mike Modano and Eric Lindros.
  2. hchristensenfan Jedi Master

star 4
  3. Wildstar02301 Force Ghost

star 4
    The Bruins have announced on their site that they have come to terms with right wingers Glen Murray (on a four-year deal) and Shawn McEachern (for two years). In keeping with club policy, financial terms were not publicly disclosed.
  4. DarthWormie Jedi Master

star 4
    Very nice signings by the B's! Glad to hear Muzz is sticking around and that McEachern is coming back to the B's. He's one of those solid 2nd line players that every team needs. Now hopefully they'll pick up a solid defenseman or two (would LOVE to see Gonchar come back and there's rumors that Brian Berard might come back to the B's) and fill out the rest of their forward ranks.
  5. chewykingwookie Jedi Master

star 4
    I am definitely looking forward to the start of real hockey again. I went to a few Icecats games last year, but wasn't the same. Hopefully my wife can score some good tix like she did the year before. If not I can always say let's go to Chicago for a game. That would give me an excuse to go back home. lol
  6. DarthWormie Jedi Master

star 4
    The Bruins dipped into the free agent ranks again this afternoon by signing longtime Rangers D Brian Leetch to a one-year contract. As usual with the B's, terms of the deal were not released.

Lets hope this turns out better than the last time the B's signed a future Hall of Fame Defenseman to a one-year deal. Remember Paul Coffey's stay in Boston?
  7. DarthWormie Jedi Master

star 4
    Bruins picked up another free-agent this afternoon. After missing out on the Mike Modano sweepstakes, the B's signed C Alexi Zhamnov to an undisclosed contract.

So far so good, they still need to pick up 2-3 more 'quality' free agents to make up for the huge personnel losses since the end of the 2003-2004 season. A guy I'd love to see the B's sign is Paul Kariya.
  8. DarthMoby Jedi Master

star 4
    Modano would have been nice to have. Oh well :(

9. DarthWormie Jedi Master

star 4
    B's have announced that PJ Axelsson and Sergei Samsonov have signed their qualifying offers and will be back with the Bruins for this upcoming season. Unfortunately, that means that unless O'Connell can come up with an attractive enough long-term deal with Sammy, he'll become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season.

On the Thorton front, the Herald is reporting that the B's have upped their offer to Joe. Their current contract offer is 5yrs/$32.5M up from the 5yrs/$25M they offered him a couple of weeks ago. I'm hoping Joe will sign it and stick around for the next 5 years, but I think he'll instead head for FA after the season.
  10. hchristensenfan Jedi Master

star 4
    Hopefully the Bruins will get to sign Joe Thorton for the next five years. :)
  11. DarthWormie Jedi Master

star 4
    Good news B's fans. This afternoon the Bruins and Jumbo Joe agreed on a 3 year contract. Not as long as the leaked 5-year contract the B's offered but definitely better than the alternative which would have seen Joe heading off to free agency at the end of the upcoming season.

Overall I haven't been all that impressed with the B's acquisitions (see Ibister and Scatchard). Thought the money could have been spent elsewhere (Kariya, Lindros?). But I am definitely glad Joe will be in th Black & Gold for at least the next 3 years.
  12. chewykingwookie Jedi Master

star 4
    This was a big signing. The B's definitely needed big Joe back. I am looking forward to Hockey this year I think. With all the free agent signings going on it should be interesting. I am just happy that Hawks did some decent moves. Even though I didn't want to see T-bo go I am liking what they have done. I still miss the days of the Eagle, Roenick, Amonte, Cheli, etc though. Going to games at the Staduim was awesome and then heading over to Cheli's bar after games was the bomb.
  13. hchristensenfan Jedi Master

star 4
    It's a good thing that Joe did get the contract for three more years. GO BRUINS!! :)
  14. JediPadme76 Jedi Padawan

I love hockey! The Bruins just recently acquired a player that formerly played in Manchester. Eric Healey. He was the leadin scorer in the 2003 season with Manchester. Not sure if he will be playing for the big B's or the baby B's but he's quite good!
    It is good to have the NHL back, although I do enjoy AHL hockey as well, here in Manchester we have a great team!
  15. Wildstar02301 Force Ghost

star 4
    DarthWormie missed this over the weekend, but the Bruins finally locked up a major piece to the 2005-06 season's puzzle. #1 goaltender Andrew Raycroft agreed to a one-year deal deal worth a reported $1.2M. If Raycroft performs anywhere near what he did his rookie season, the Bruins should do well.
  16. Trentman359 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Raycroft was also the rookie of the year.=D=

I cant wait until Oct. 5th. The Bruins start the season against Montreal and its my birthday.
  17. hchristensenfan Jedi Master

star 4
    Montreal....cold in the winter. But I degress. Yeah for the Pats. Happy early birthday.
  18. Trentman359 Jedi Knight

star 2
  19. DarthWormie Jedi Master

star 4
    Good news B's fans. Defenseman Nick Boynton ended his holdout this morning signing a 1-year, $1.75M contract.

Having Nick back there on the blue line should help with the defensive problems that have have haunted the B's so far this season.
  20. chewykingwookie Jedi Master

star 4
    I might be going to a few games this year. Since the Icecats are no longer in Worcester my wife's work is getting discounted tix for Bruins games for certain days instead. They haven't announced any of the dates yet or how many are available. My wife is going to see how many she can get buy at one time and I can let people know if any is interested. Might be a good group event if the price is right. I know she got Celtics last year for almost nothing and I do believe it will be the same deal for the Bruins.

21. DarthWormie Jedi Master

star 4
    Whoa! It's been a while since a post here, so I'll do a quick recap of the past 3 and a half weeks in the Land of Spoked B's.

Bruins are off to an inconsistant start. I swear they have blown more 3rd period leads so far this season than anyone else in the league. It's a bit disappointing considering the sell job Sinden & O'Connell were giving the fans right after the lockout ended.

Leetch hurt himself last week and will be out approx. 4 weeks. Not good for a team who's defense has been inconsistant at best. Way too many young guys back there and Boynton's holdout didn't help.

Cam Neely was FINALLY inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame last night. It's a shame that his career ended so soon. If he had stayed healthy and strung together a 12-14 year career, he'd have been a 600 goal scorer easily and a first ballot HOFer.
  22. TI-0694 Jedi Knight

star 1
    You guys better stop getting my HOF'er injured or there'll be hell to pay. Hell I say!
  23. DarthLucanas Jedi Master

star 4
    I am glad Hockey is back, Go!! Go!! Black and Gold!!!!

24. Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Master

star 4
    Now I'm not much of a hockey fan but I was still shocked when I saw online today that the Bruins traded Joe Thornton to the San Jose Sharks :eek:! The Bruins in exchange get 3 players from San Jose to try and fill the gaps and help the team win once in a while. Since I'm not much of a fan I'm curious to hear what the rest of you guys have to say about the one.
  25. DarthWormie Jedi Master

star 4
    That sound you heard last night was the final nail being driven into the coffin of the 2005-2006 Bruins season. This was a desperation move by GM Mike O'Connell to save his job. All we heard during the lockout was what a great position the Bruins were in to be BIG players in the the new world NHL. Instead, we had O'Connell wasting salary cap space on guys like Zhamnov, Scatchard and McEachern who have brought absolutely nothing to team.

So he pulls this despiration move out of his you-know-what? You what he's done? Not only has he NOT improved the team, he's alienated all of the fans who did come back after the lockout. The team will be no better for this move and attendance at the Garden is going to plummet. I'm guessing the last sellout of the season will come on January 10th when San Jose comes to town. After that, watch out for the tumbleweeds racing up and down Causeway St.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.