main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bryan Singer's Superman

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Oct 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheEmperorsProtege

TheEmperorsProtege Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2004
    Bryan Singer Talks About Superman here

-Mel

2. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ...well, "Superman" by Singer should be good, but i'm honestly much more excited to see what he does with "Logan's Run", one of my favourite flicks...

I really had a hard time seeing Jesus playing Superman, though...Glad to hear that's bunk...

(Though it's STILL not as bad as the Nic Cage as Supes bit)

3. Obi-Sauron

Obi-Sauron Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 4, 2004
    i'm not a big Superman fan, he's just too powerful and can almost do anything. i find little reason to identify with him or feel for him. but i do want to see what Singer does with it considering the X-men flicks (i'm also upset he walked away from that series).

Logan's Run, cant wait to see that one. i love the original. I wish he'd work on that first.

4. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I much rather would have seen Singer go with X3 rather than a new Superman film. I lost all interest in the new Superman after the Tim Burton project was officially dropped. Oh well. I wonder if Superman will wear a black leather costume now?

5. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    ...well, at least with Singer, you know you've got someone who will respect the material, ya know?

And i think it's a terrific thing to hear that he's such a big fan of Richard Donner's original film as, imo, that's definitely the strongest example of a Superman movie (from start to finish.. I do prefer the action sequences in "Superman II", but i hate that Lois Lane-Clark Kent romance bit)

6. Fixer808

Fixer808 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 22, 2002
    I'm glad they got rid of that Nicholas Cage as Superman idea. I mean, he's done some decent stuff, but he doesn't have that square-jawed, angular look that Superman needs. Get Bruce Campbell! ;)

Great trivia about Nicholas Cage on IMDB.com. I knew he was Francis Ford Coppola's nephew, but I didn't know that
    a) he changed his last name to "Cage" after Marvel Comics' "Luke Cage"
    and
    b) he lives in a fake castle (!) outside LA.

I love IMDB :D

7. danmcken

danmcken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 7, 2003
    after this weeks sad news they should wait till they can do a cgi chris reeves ,he cant be replaced.

8. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    More trivia on Nick Cage. Being very rich and a very big comic fan he had one of the most pristine comic collections out there (including one of the best-preserved copies of Action Comics #1). Until recently when for reasons still unknown (I've heard everything from his wife made him to he changed religions, or the more plausible and likely truth that the market was just right) he sold 141 comics for a record 1.68 million dollars.

Back to the movie. I'm looking forward to it. I don't see how Singer could have passed it up. It would be like building paper rockets in your back yard only to be called up to go work at NASA. Or playing catch with your kids only to be drafted for the majors. Well maybe not that extreme but still, its Superman. I mean if not for the comic book there probably never would of been a X-men. If not for the Superman movie there might never have been an X-men movie. Again I'm over exaggerating but there is obviously a lot of history in this one movie and after a lot of false starts, failed attempts, and bad ideas, you've gotten a group of people (not just Singer) that "get it".

That?s why X-men worked where as the comic movie genre is hit or miss these days. He went back to the basics. It would have been real easy to really mess up the X-men but again he "got it". It wasn't just about guys that shoot stuff out of their eyes or have claws popping out of their hands there is a story there that Lee and Kirby told all of those years ago about hate and prejudice and being able to be a bigger person then all of those things even when it seemed the world was against you.

He is perfect to do the same thing with Superman. We've all heard the horror stories of what had come before. Where all of the talk was about effects and costumes and fighting. Again Singer boils it down to what works. Its like comics in the 90's, where everything was about flashy art and big breasted women. When Liefeld and others were producing a lot of stuff that looked pretty but had no substance. Things continued that way and sales slumped then some guys started proving that people would buy smart, well written comics. Comic movies have kind of been the same way lately. A few are putting out absolutely amazing movies that just happen to be based on comics but a lot more are putting out stinkers that just sell on the name alone. I think I was going to try and tie all of this into the causes of declining modern values, the eventual downfall of society, and annoying polyphonic ringtone but I forgot how I was going to do that so in short...

Singer on Superman = Good

9. JMRycheBa-Gai

JMRycheBa-Gai Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2004
    Call me a traditionalist, but I will boycott EVERY Superman film that's made from here on out, no matter who is in it or directs it.

There is only 1 Superman. Rest in Peace Superman. Thanks for everything!!

10. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    Call me a traditionalist, but I will boycott EVERY Superman film that's made from here on out, no matter who is in it or directs it.

There is only 1 Superman. Rest in Peace Superman. Thanks for everything!!

Well, you're entitled to your opinion, of course, and i agree that Chris Reeve was a terrific guy...

But there were Supermen before Mr. Reeve, and there have been Supermen since Christopher Reeve..

I don't think you should look at a new Superman film as an attempt to spit on the grave of a good man, ya know?

ESPECIALLY when you've got a director who will more then likely be using the Reeve Superman as his model (heck, he's even going out of his way to cast an unknown in the lead-role, ala Christopher Reeve!)

If made properly (which is more then likely will be), kids today will receive an experience along the same lines as the one we experienced with the original Superman.. Is that a bad thing?

11. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    I have nothing against Superman or singer but i'm sure that people would rather have x3 than another superman. I'm not to thrilled about it.

I'll go watch the flick but if i miss it it won't be that big of a deal for me. I wish he would do x3 and then call it quits on the x-men series. That is what i think.

dkt

12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    From what Singer says it sounds like the Superman movie plot will look something like the story from the Kingdom Come comic.

13. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    From what Singer says it sounds like the Superman movie plot will look something like the story from the Kingdom Come comic

Hmmm, that could potentially make for a pretty cool movie..

I would imagine they're probably waiting to see how "Batman Begins" does financially before committing to a superman story set at a period of his life outside of his prime, ya know? (Seeing as how Batman Begins would be a similar type of story set at the OTHER end of the age spectrum)

14. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    What is the "Kingdom Come" storyline?

15. Nightowl

Nightowl TFN Timetales Writer star 4 VIP

Jul 8, 1998
    The Joker attacked the Daily Planet building while Superman was away on a mission in space. Lois Lane, Perry White, Jimmy Olsen and all of Clark's co-workers were killed. By the time he got back, the Joker was already caught -- not by Batman, but by a cocky gold-armored new superhero named Magog, who had long been spoiling to replace Superman as THE superhero of Earth.

Magog was fundamentally different than Superman in one respect -- he had no problem with using his powers to kill, and so the Joker's guts wound up spread across half a state. Superman, despite his grief, had Magog arrested and brought to trial for the Joker's murder. ("Our kind don't kill. Period.") The jury, shaken by the tragedy and remembering full well the Joker's body count over the years, acquited Magog without a second thought. As Magog publicly taunted Superman on TV ("They chose the superhero who WILL kill over the one who won't!!"), Superman flew away and disappeared....never coming back.

Ten years pass.

In Magog's wake, a new generation of brutal "superheroes" arise. They seem to have no morality, no sense of restraint. They don't fight for what's right, they fight just to fight. And they don't care who or what gets caught in the crossfire. Tensions between humans and superheroes rises to dangerous levels. And then, in the process of killing one criminal, Magog inadvertantly sets off a nuclear explosion that destroys the entire state of Kansas -- and everyone in it.

Superman, having lived in lonely and bitter exile in the Fortress of Solitute all these years, is galvanized by this tragedy into returning. He vows he will some way to make things right again. But what will happen when he finally squares off against Magog? How can he guide and lead a generation that mocks and scorns him as being "The Man of Yesterday"? And can he prevent the man/superhero feud from leading to the Apocalypse...or (with Lex Luthor manipulating events in the background) will he be the spark that ignites it?

Whose will be done?

16. StarDude

Nov 28, 2001
    Is that the Superman with the gray hair?

17. Nightowl

Nightowl TFN Timetales Writer star 4 VIP

Jul 8, 1998
    Yup. Kingdom Come is set about 20-25 years after the "current" Superman comics, in an alternate timeline.

18. StarDude

Nov 28, 2001
    Now, what makes it seem like Singer is suggesting a similar storyline?

EDIT: Nevermind. I just read the article.

I hope that doesn't mean that the new film will feature an aging Superman. I really don't think that's the way to kick the franchise back into gear. Having Lois, Jimmy, etc. all killed off and Superman coming out of retirement.

I do like the idea of it featuring clips or "flashbacks" of the other onscreen Superman stuff like the other movies and "Smallville."

19. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I doubt he will go with an elderly superman, it's just that the return after a long vacation sounded similar to me, and if you can find Kingdom Come in a book store you will not be sorry.

20. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    Apparently John Ottman plans to utilize John Williams' original Superman theme in his score for Singer's film.

I really would have liked Singer to continue with the X-Men films as I think he's done a great job so far and don't want to see the franchise ruined. But I guess it's better to have a Bryan Singer-directed Superman film than a McG-directed one.

21. Darth-Schwartz

Darth-Schwartz Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    i'm just glad that MCG guy isn't directing.

22. TheEmperorsProtege

TheEmperorsProtege Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2004
    Bryan Singer is a great director and I will definitely go and check this superman movie out. but I'm still sad Singer left the X-Men behind :_|. I hope that one will still be as good as the last 2 otherwise I'll completely hate Singer for what he's done!

-Mel

23. dark_charlie

dark_charlie Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 18, 2004
    does anyone know who is gonna play superman? i heard its gonna be keanu reves.

"woooow, i can shot hot fire from my eyes... woooow."

and i heard beyonce from destinys child is gonna play lois lane!!!

how can that be??? she is black!

lois should be white.

if they put a white guy playing shaft i bet the black comunnity would riot.

24. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    /sighs.
    I would have problems with Beyonce playing Lois Lane simply on the fact that I believe she's a talentless hack. But you can't really compare Shaft to Lois because Shaft is a character build on his race. With Lois it doesn't really matter.

25. dark_charlie

dark_charlie Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 18, 2004
    of course it does...

you see? they go by steps.

now they get lois lane... 20 years from now they will do another superman movie but clark will be a guy whos spaceship landed in harlem and guess what? clark will be black.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.