main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [BSG] All of This Has Happened Before - UDC4 - Updated 5/17 Various Characters

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by BigFatty, Apr 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    Title: All of This Has Happened Before
    Author: BigFatty
    Timeframe: Anytime before, during, or after the reimagined series of Battlestar Galactica
    Characters: Varies from week to week, but everyone you know should appear once and a while.
    Summary: Five stories a week, each one hundred words in length.
    Disclaimer: I do not own BSG or anything related to it. These are Ron Moore and David Eick's toys that I'm playing with.
    Notes: Part of the fourth Ultimate Drabble Challenge. Hope you enjoy!

[color=green][b]
    Flash in the pan[/b][/color]

She talks to as many reporters as she can on the way to the ceremony. Laura knows the press will want to focus on the military aspect of retiring the old battlestar, Galactica, but she?s opening one or two of them will look at the educational aspect of having such a grand piece of history open to the students of the Twelve Colonies.

She forces a smile and speaks politely when all she wants to do is turn around and go home. Since she can?t, she distracts herself with talking to the press to hopefully get some attention for education.

[color=blue][b]Out on a limb[/b][/color]

She went out on a limb and suggested installing a computer network for the students who would come to visit the retired ship, and was taken aback by the grizzled commander?s flat out refusal. She conceded her argument and moved on, but inside wondered what the big deal was. Laura could understand Commander Adama?s answer of, ?There hasn?t been one here before; there won?t be one here now.? But this was no longer a military vessel. It was a floating relic that now had a function of educating young minds. Why hinder that process by refusing to update one?s technology?

[color=purple][b]Out of the blue[/b][/color]

She doesn?t remember who exactly tells her first. One moment her biggest problem was dealing with her diagnosis, the next the universe dumped her upside down. Again.

They all frantically gathered and exchanged information with wide eyes, trying to piece together what all was gone. Billy was talking in her ear and listing reports from various colonies that had been attacked; that were destroyed.

The biggest surprise she was supposed to get today was realizing her fears about having breast cancer were true. Not the Cylons coming back after forty years of silence and nuke the galaxy free of humanity.

[color=red][b]Wet behind the ears[/b][/color]

She inwardly grimaced when the young officer informed her that Apollo was his callsign, and not his actual name.

Laura Roslin started off this whirlwind of a day as the Secretary of Education; a job she was reluctant to take in the first place because of her strong disliking of politics. And now she was President of the Twelve Colonies, or rather what was left of them and their inhabitants.

She never paid much attention to the line of succession or the emergency protocols she had been briefed on when Adar took office, she never felt there was a need.

[color=orange][b]Heat of the moment[/b][/color]

She?d had enough. The gods were apparently vehemently opposed to showing her any kind of mercy today, and she was sick of it. The cancer, the attack, being sworn in as President, and now some commander of an antique battlestar who was a hairsbreadth away from retiring was telling her that he wasn?t going to look for survivors. No more. She gives the order as his commander in chief and can feel the shock from the others in the room, including Billy and Apollo, but she?s beyond the point of caring what they think about her rash and desperate decision.

2. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Very nice opening set, BigFatty. You capture well a woman who already had the wight of the world on her shoulders as the rest of the galaxy shortly followed suit.

I admit that I gave up on Galactica mid Season 2. No matter how well written, produced, and acted, the who was just too heavy. There was very little light. That got to me after a while.

You've done well capturing Roslin's burden.

She inwardly grimaced when the young officer informed her that Apollo was his callsign, and not his actual name.

This brought a smile.

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Very great start. BSG follows Star Trek which follows SW in my SF followings. :D In each, i focus on not just the plots but the characters and what they go through and who they end up with LOL being a mush fiend ;) Looking forward to following these. :D

4. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    Very well done. BSG was my favorite show on TV for quite a while, but I find it very hard to write. You capture it's characters and themes beautifully with so few words to work with. I look forward to more :)

5. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    brodiew: It is a very heavy and dark show, but I usually don't mind. I have plenty of other fluffy shows to watch to maintain a balance. Thanks for reading!

Jade_eyes: The characters are crucial to this show, and I think that's why I love it so much. There's not too much mush in it, but when it appears, it's worth the wait.

karebear: Thank you very much! It's my favorite show on TV, which intimidates me when it comes to writing because I don't want to screw things up.

The next update is 60% finished. As soon as I can stop procrastinating, I'll get it posted. We're staying with Laura, but jumping a head a few seasons in the timeline.

6. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    Impossible

It didn?t seem possible that this ragtag fleet could make it this far, survive this much. But by some miracle from the gods, they had. And now they were one jump away from Earth.

Bill turns to her and asks her to give the order. She smiles, having trouble finding her voice. Laura can?t help but think about how far the two of them have come?when they first met, Adama wouldn?t trust her to know starboard from port on his beloved battlestar, but now he?s giving her this honor.

She turns to the crew and tells them to jump.

Unlikely

Despite preaching the merits of Pythia?s prophecies for years now, she still finds it hard to swallow that all of this could be true. The odds of all of this happening are nearly unbelievable, and the thought of them surrounding her is daunting on the best of days. But thus far the ancient text has yet to be wrong, and this time is no different.

Gaeta announces to everyone in CIC that after checking twice, the stars surrounding the fleet are in identical formation to those they viewed in the Tomb of Athena on Kobol.

They have arrived at Earth.

Reasonable

Decisions are made quickly. So as not to upset the extremely fragile peace they have struck with the rebel Cylons, it is agreed that the timetable for exploring their new home will be rushed. Instead of sending multiple Raptors on multiple recon missions before even breaking atmosphere, several scout teams will be sent to the surface in hopes that by distracting themselves with reaching their destination they?ll forget that they were about to airlock each other.

She accepts Bill?s hand to help her into a Raptor and tries to hide the giddy smile she can feel tugging at her cheeks.

Probable

She strains against the restraints to peek out the front window from her seat in the back of the Raptor. There isn?t much to see at first. They?re too far above the surface to make out details, and then their sight is temporarily blinded by the heat and brightness of atmospheric entry.

Once they break through the clouds, she can make out some details of the surface, mostly topographical features. She keeps her eyes appealed for structures or shuttles. Her ears are piqued for talk of comm chatter, but so far there?s nothing.

They probably haven?t noticed the newcomers? arrival.

Definite

She?s frozen staring at the landscape in front of her. Everyone knows now why the planet?s inhabitants didn?t contact them?there are none. All their hopes and dreams were pinned on radioactive ruins.

She looks around to see building people haven?t looked at in two thousand years. She tries to get her brain kick started to figure out what she and Bill will tell the fleet, but absolutely nothing comes to mind.

How do you tell a group of people who?ve been running for their lives for years that the one thing they had to look forward to is gone?

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Amazing build up to Definite. I was anticipating along with the rest of them... very well done!!

=D=
    =D=

8. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    Thank you very much. :)

This next set jumps around not only on the timeline, but also with the characters. Hope you can follow it.

Truth

It is her only constant in this galaxy now. This buzzing that won?t leave her head until once again she is flying over Earth. She pushes aside the thoughts of Sam and Lee telling her she?s been dead for months, and focuses all her attention on the string of emotion pulling her back towards Earth. She doesn?t do it for reasons of denial? she does it because Galactica keeps jumping away from where it needs to go and she?s losing the sensation of helping them get to their new home.

Why doesn?t anyone around believe she is telling the truth?

Trust

He is vaguely aware of Lee finding him in his quarters, trying to comfort him. But mostly his mind is occupied with wondering how his best friend and executive officer could turn out to be a Cylon. How could he so effortlessly trust this man for thirty years without having the slightest idea that he was a machine?

He knows what needs to be done now, but even with the truth searing its way into his brain, he cannot bring himself to airlock Saul. Because no matter how frakked up the situation is, the man is still Bill?s best friend.

Honor

He momentarily blocks out the sound of the voices giving testimony against Gaius Baltar and looks down at the pinstriped suit he traded his military uniform for. It is entirely evident that his father is not thrilled with his choice, but when has the Admiral ever been happy with the things Lee has done?

He knows that he is doing the right thing. Dee doesn?t believe their lives have room for the old legal system used before the Cylon attack, but he doesn?t see any other way of keeping the fleet and the remaining members of humanity honest and accountable.

Loyalty

She comes out of a mental fog and immediately begins to fight against the marines trying to physically force her out of CIC. She strains against them desperate to find out what is happening since the last thing she remembers is walking in the corridor.

Finally getting a glimpse of the scene she?s being dragged away from, she sees Saul yelling orders while Dee tends to an injured Adama.

Injured from being shot.

From a gun she fired. Twice.

She tries to blink away the truth, but the vision of what just happened crashes into her, taking her breath away.

Love

She listens to the Hybrid mutter status changes, orders, and random who-knows-what while reflecting on Elosha?s advice. She knows the words are true, mostly because she?s imposed a sort of self-exile on herself when it comes to loving anyone ever since the morning the police officers came to tell her that her father and sisters were killed in an accident.

She does not need to wonder about who she will love; it?s obvious. She doesn?t worry about him turning her down; they?ve loved each other from the beginning?he?s just been the only one able to accept it until now.

9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Honor --fantastic!! love -- aww. :)

10. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    Thank you. :) The next round is almost finished. I'm not sure how much mush I can put into this show with the prompts you provided, but I'll let you judge how I did.

11. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    Once again, constantly changing characters and timeframes. But at least I went in chronological order this time. Spoiler warning for the series finale if you haven't seen it yet.

[b][color=green]Gaze[/color][/b]

He tries not to stare at her, but is rarely successful. She?s the only reason he can come close to enjoying being in the CIC. The whole place makes him nervous, just like it does to President Roslin, but they both put on a brave face in front of Commander Adama.

He keeps his ears open to the conversation between the leaders of the fleet in case he needs to note any changes to the President?s schedule, but his eyes remained fixed on her. She looks at him briefly, a smile in her eyes, as she called the pilots home.

[color=blue][b]Wink[/b][/color]

He climbs out of his cockpit and signs the forms the Chief shoves his way. Wiping the sweat from his brow, Apollo takes a look around the hangar bay and does a head count. He knows what number he?ll get, but he has to check once more.

He finishes counting and laughs to himself in relief. They finally did it?they all came back alive from a dogfight with the Cylons since the attack.

He catches Starbuck?s attention and raises an eyebrow. She gives him a quick wink before turning around to run her mouth at one of the deckhands.

[color=purple][b]Distant[/b][/color]

?Our hopes would be to wrap up the Cylon tests as soon as?? Laura?s words trailed off as she slowly turned in her seat to see what object over her left shoulder could transfix Baltar in such a manner. Not seeing anything spectacular, she turned back to face the scientist, who now had a smile slowly spreading across his face.

?Doctor??

?Hmmm??

?Doctor!?

He jerked in his seat and was brought back into the present. ?I?m sorry, Madame President, what were you saying??

?Go finish your Cylon tests.?

?Yes, ma?am.?

She watched him scurry away. ?Such a weird, little man.?

[color=red][b]Cold as Ice[/b][/color]

Helena Cain stepped into the shower and began scrubbing her XO?s blood from her face. She knew her crewmembers were stunned by the move, some thinking she crossed the line today, but no one actually said anything. They could think anything they wanted about her, but as long as they followed orders she didn?t care.

They were alone and on the run from an enemy that outnumbered them greatly. Extreme measures were a must now, even if it meant shooting your own executive officer?your own friend and trusted confidante?in the head because he wasn?t willing to follow orders.
    [color=orange][b]
    Eternal Flame[/b][/color]

He watches his father carry Laura into the Raptor. A moment later the Old Man emerges to hug his kids goodbye. Lee tries to find the words to say to him, knowing that his gut is telling him this is the last time they?ll see each other, but no words come.

A little, niggling voice in his head points out that his father never showed this much love towards his mother. But Lee tunes it out, finally capable of accepting the past and what happened between his parents. He?s happy for his father and the love that he has found.

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Excellent use of the prompts especially Eternal Flame... that's a very hard situation not to throw blame around... it's very mature and caring to accept what is and be glad for the person who's moved on to a deeper truer love. [face_thinking]

13. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    Thanks, Jade_eyes.

These all take place at the beginning of season 2.

[color=green][b]Steps[/b][/color]

Ishay pushes way her anxiety and focuses on the voice of the nurse. She?s never performed a surgery like this, and does not think it would be a good idea to mess up when the life at stake belongs to Commander Adama. For the thousandth time, she quickly and silently curses Doc Cottle for not being aboard Galactica right now.

Listening to the procedure the nurse is reading from the medical textbook, she repeats them to herself twice before moving her hands to carry out the individual instructions. She focuses all of her attention on keeping the Old Man alive.

[color=blue][b]Stride[/b][/color]

Dee returns to her station in CIC and numbly goes about transferring orders between Colonel Tigh and the Vipers out flying on CAP. She looks down at her hands and wonders if she should go wash off the drying blood. But a terrified part of her wonders if Adama is dead, and if she should keep hold of this morbid piece of him for just a bit longer.

Her gaze shifts to her console and the buttons now stained with bloody fingerprints. She shakes her head at the thought of Galactica herself bleeding out right along with the Old Man.

[color=purple][b]Stumble[/b][/color]

The words ?martial law? aren?t even completely out of his mouth before the press reporters begin to scream questions at him. He ignores them and rushes through what?s left of his statement.

Deep down, he knows he?s making a mistake by putting the military and himself in charge of the fleet, but he doesn?t know any other way to handle things. He doesn?t have an appreciation for politics, doesn?t understand it. So in this time of chaos while his best friend is in critical condition down in sickbay, he relies on the comfort of what he does know?his military.

[color=red][b]Leap[/b][/color]

The guard walks out of the brig wondering what the consequences of his actions will be. It?s his job to stand watch over the prisoner, but his keep is also the embodiment of the Pythian scriptures. His duty and his faith wage an internal war all the way down to sickbay. He looks around half expecting everyone inside to be standing there waiting on him, to bust him in his small, personal mutiny. But everyone is too focused on keeping Commander Adama stable to notice the marine sneaking into the pharmacological stores to steal some chamalla for President Laura Roslin.

[color=orange][b]Fall[/b][/color]

She knows Tigh sent the Quorum in here to set her up and make her look crazy, but thanks to the young Gemenon marine, she once again has the addictive properties of chamalla flowing through her system. No longer in withdrawal, she calmly and coolly makes her argument and pleads her side of the story.

She avoids looking at Billy and the utter relief he?s trying to hide on his young face. Doing so will make her wonder how out of it she was acting while her brain was fogged with the urgent need for another fix of the addictive chamalla.

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    marvelous emotively powerful set with everyone worrying about Adama.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.