main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Evan, IN BSG Discussion (spoilers)

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Mike-El, Mar 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike-El

Mike-El Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 16, 2006
    I found this from tv guide online concerning what Kara Thrace became after her death...

TVGuide.com: What exactly is Kara at the end of the series? An angel?

Moore: I think Kara remains an ambiguous figure. Kara lived a mortal life, died and was resurrected to get them to their final destiny. Clearly she was a key player in the events that led to [the fleet's] finding a home. And, I don't know if there's any more to it beyond that. I think you could call her an angel, you could call her a demon, the second coming or the first coming, I guess, chronologically speaking. You can say that she had a certain messiah-like quality, in the classic resurrection story. There's a lot of different ways you can look at it, but the more we talked about it, the more we realized there was more in the ambiguity and mystery of it than there was in trying to give it more definition in the end.

TVGuide.com: So she is completely different than the hallucination/visions of Baltar and Six?

Moore: Yes, Kara was physically among us. Everybody saw her. She was tactile, she flew a viper, she was around. She was with us. And yet, there was a body that died on the original Earth, and Baltar did the DNA analysis and it was her body, so she was literally brought back from the dead by something ? by some higher power or other power, and she came back to serve a function.

Pretty interesting. We all thought she was a "head" Kara but it seems RDM cleared the air.

2. Ulkesh2

Ulkesh2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    ZOW-WOW-WEEEEEEEEE!!!

YEAHHH!!!

No, I did not just visit a Caprican strip club.[face_blush]

SPOILERS AHEAD! SPOILERS AHEAD! SPOILERS AHEAD!

So the final episode of the new version of 'B-star-G' has come and gone. Another epic sci-fi show has exited the stage. It is now a show for the Ages.

Speaking as a first generation BSG fan (classic version 1978-1980) the new version did things the classic could never do. For one thing the new version remained true to the basic premise from beginning to finish. The collective sense of ever increasing loss and being forced to change for the sake of stark survival was consistant.

The new version did not suffer from the 'planet/monster-of-the-week' formula as did the classic. The new version kept the more over-the-top mystical elements out. When a mystical element was introduced in the new version it remained low-key and subject to mere psychological suggestion or tricks of perception or narrative misdirection.

Yes even Kara's return from the dead might be given a more 'down-to-Earth' (pun intended) explaination. For example it might be that ancient Kobollian tech (think revised version of the classic show's Ship Of Lights and the Beings of Light) included a much more powerful form of 'Cylon projection'. I'm putting my cubits on that one by the way.

The new version also tied itself to the classic version's opening narration. The new version ends with the suggestion that the forefathers of the Eygptians, the Greeks, the Toltecs and the Mayans were indeed descendants of a three way biological merger (Colonial Humans, Cylon Skinjobs and the primitive Terran Humans).

The really important thing that the new version did that the classic could not quite do was find time to develop its characters and plots beyond a freshman season. The classic version only got one season (not counting Galactica:1980 - never shall we count that atrocity). The new version by comparison got four seasons, two TV-movies and a developing prequel.

Oh and the new version had another thing going for it. Unlike the classic the new version never catered to the 'cute/smart animal/kid syndrome'. We were never subjected to a furry cybernetic daggit. Well, yes...we did get to see lawyer Romo Lampkin's cat. BUT that cat was a mental figment. The cat was dead and rotting - thus not so cute. Oh...yes...there was the dog on New Caprica...well I stand partly corrected. That dog on New Caprica was smart. So I guess there was an exception to the rule (LOL).

Overall the new version of 'B-star-G' will be remembered for being a powerful allegory for our post 9-11 world. No other fictional/non-news TV show could or would dig as deep into the American and international zeitgeist. Even shows directly about the 'War on Terror' (Steven Boccho's Over There for example) could not artistically compare to the 'truth' that the new version of 'B-star-G' gave us. In short the new version of 'B-star-G' worked because it made us uncomfortable despite some nifty SFX. It reminded us that sci-fi works best when it provokes unease in our thoughts. It reminds us that there is more to sci-fi than mere escapism.

And so it ended.

But is it really over?

As many of you know another TV-movie called The Plan is heading our way in the Fall of 2009. It will be a Cylon-centric narrative that reveals the inner workings of A.I. religion, politics and relationships.

Then there is Caprica. Most already know the premise to this 'B-star-G' prequel. My speculation is that Caprica will be a limited-run series (1-3 years). Caprica might lay the groundwork for a further prequel series. This further prequel series might carry the title - Cylon War One.

And who knows...

The finale of the new version of 'B-star-G' left some interesting loose ends. While currently Ronald D. Moore says its over. Is it really? Might he or other writers change their minds? I can see TV-movie SEQUELS being made. Did Anders really take the Galactica and other ships into our sun? What happened to the liberated Cylon centuria

3. Edric-The-White

Edric-The-White Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 5, 2005
    Spoilers:

As Admiral Adama would say "Sometimes, you have to role the hard six".

The way that they ended BSG was pretty gutsy because you really cannot sequel it to death with the way it ended. About the only thing that could be done is to tell the story again and then see if history does not repeat itself.

I was very satisfied with how it ended. Finally, after four seasons, everything makes believable sence.

I have to admit, Caprica does not really intrigue me too much. However, telling the story from the Cylon point of view does.

The danger with a serialied series is that you run the risk of letting the audience down at the end and then have the audience think they wasted however many years it took to complete the series. This was by no means a dissapointment. Now, I can go back to the beginning and watch it as to pick out all the pieces that were put into place.

Kudos!

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.