main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA BSG finale thoughts anyone?

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by xm41, Mar 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xm41

xm41 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2007
    It was great. It answered allot of questions and left room for a ton of speculation and very deep thought. It was also quite a tear jerker at times.

1. What was/is Kera Thrace/Starbuck?
    2. Was she ever really human?
    3. If human was she alive or dead?
    4. If dead when did that death occur?

There are also questions that can be ask about Hera.

The Colonial Humans and skin job Cylons clearly interbreed with the local population of the planet and handed down knowledge of the stars. After a couple hundred generations of interbreeding you would have a population large enough to keep the ball rolling on it?s own but with that scenario alone we loose the importance of Hera. Without Hera?s DNA in the mix the whole thing wouldn?t have worked.

And just as we wrap up that bunch of questions we open another can of worms. Who says that Hera was to be the only Human/skin job hybrid? It was established that interbreeding between Human/skin jobs was possible given that there was love in the mix. With over 30,000 colonials and even a small number of skin jobs it's inevitable that love would occur somewhere along the line leading to other hybrids. I guess we can explain this explain this away using the fact that the theory of Mitochondrial Eve says there can be more than one. But again, in going with that theory you lose Hera?s importance.

I guess I think too much.8-}

And of course the big question. Who or what were head Six and Baltar working with/for?

Ron

2. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    It was great. Hera was the first person born who was of human of cylon descent, which is what the humans of today are.

3. CernStormrunner

CernStormrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 6, 2000
    I loved when Cavil/01 became An Hero. Though i would have preferred Adama did some Corbin Dallas style "negotiating" with him.

I have a theory about the Head People/Angels. I'm glad they brought that concept back because it was my favorite thing from the Original Galactica. In fact, RTN was playing "War of the Gods part 2" saturday night!

basically i think the Angels are the predecessors of the Final Five. AI's that have been re-engineering themselves for thousands of years, maybe even more than that, until they became damn near godlike.

In fact, i bet thats what will happen to the Centurions who took off in the Basestar.

If you've read the HYPERION novels, I'm thinking along the lines of the TechnoCore. This especially ties into Roslins visions of "Elosha" when the BaseStar kept randomly jumping, and D'Anna's Final Five visions during Resurrection Downloads. The Hybrids are tied together through some kind of FTL communications system, so are the Cylons during resurrection. In HYPERION the AI's basically exist through the FTL Farcaster network like the way a Bit Torrent netwok is situated.

4. xm41

Jan 5, 2007
    Well as head Baltar said in NYC at the end "you know it doesn't like to be called that".

Ron

5. CernStormrunner

Jul 6, 2000
    which creeped me out.

i still wish the Head Six was NBSG's version of Iblis.

6. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    I didn't watch the series, until we started to rpg on Friday nights and the folks I was with wanted to watch it, so I ended up watching the final season. So my opinion should prob be taken with a grain of salt.

I thought the ending of the series was a bit odd. The whole angels and God who doesn't like to be called God but has a plan that apparently involves attempted genocide of humans but not really, our earth was settled by human looking cylons and humans, the anti-technology ending (lets get rid of all technology and live extreme primitive lifestyle) . . . It didn't really do it for me.

But the fans I was watching with seemed to be pleased by the whole thing, and that's what's important. :D

7. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    I'm happy we got a return to the types of space battles that were more prominent in earlier seasons. They can make up whatever they want about supreme beings and angels, but as long as I get some of that Battlestar action, I am happy. It's just been missing for a while now.

8. xm41

Jan 5, 2007
    The god who doesn?t like to be called god had nothing to do with the destruction. It was just an entity that watched the cycle play out over and over and tried each time to guide those involved into making the right choices. As far as the anti tech angle goes nothing says that they got rid of all their tech. They most likely striped the ships of whatever they could and kept medical tech/supplies and the means to support whatever tech they did keep. We saw on screen that they kept several raptors.

When they tried to settle on new Caprica they built a city and they were easy pickings when the Cylons found them. By getting rid of the ships and minimalising their visible footprint on the planet they increased their chances for survival. If the rest of the Cavil loyal Clyons ever did find Earth
    all they would see was a planet full of primitives.

They had no other means of defense Galactia was the only warship they had and it was done for.

You should watch the whole series so will better understand the characters what they?ve been through and the choices they made. It?s defiantly worth the viewing time.

Ron

9. CernStormrunner

Jul 6, 2000
    one of the recurring themes in the series has been "this has happened before and will happen again"

The cycle has been:

1-Humans create AI's and enslave them
    2-AI's revolt, tear humanity a new orifice
    3-Humans leave ruined worlds and colonize a new one
    4-repeat.

Over the course of millenia, any records of what came before were lost. What little remains are legends of "Lords of Kobol" and "Angels"

The combined Human/Cylons gave up their tech in the hope of breaking the cycle. But the ending bit basically seems to tell us it has only been postponed.

Agreed though. It seems a bit of an extreme option totally getting rid of their Tech. It would be a safe bet that there are some humans who dissented and built a little city we call Atlantis. But thats speculation on my part.

What the BSG version of "God" and "Angels" is is certainly open to debate. Personally, my theory is that we don't know just how long this cycle has been repeating itself. My theory? Our Earth (the one they settle on at the end) is the ORIGINAL cradle of Humanity. This is how the Colonials DNA was compatible with the "natives" on Earth. The "natives" were what was left after the LAST time the AI's kicked our flesh and blood behinds. If you watch the pilot miniseries, theres a bit where Adama reads from the "holy scrolls", the first words are

"Life here began out there."

Those scrolls were written on KOBAL. Implying that life on Kobal began elsewhere.

Now, in classic GALACTICA, we were introduced to a character called Count Iblis. He was basically the Devil. He was being persued by the "Ship of Lights" who were essentially Angels. In Classic BSG the Angels were just Humans (or some type of organic life" that had gone all Star Trekky and evolved into beings of Pure Energy. This is taken from Mormon beliefs if i recall correctly.

Of course the real kicker here is how does this tie into the Firefly verse? If you think about it, leaving Earth that Was is just the damn cycle repeating in a way. And that also means that those Cylons in their BaseStar are still out there, evolving...:eek:

10. CernStormrunner

Jul 6, 2000
    something else just occurred to me. maybe the "get rid of out tech and go back to being primitive" is PART OF THE SAME KARKING CYCLE.

Also, I love how, in a show that started off with almost a religeous war between pantheistic humans and monotheistic cylons, the Big Bad ended up being Cavil, the Atheist. Who disguised himself as a priest in his first appearance. lolz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.