main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

BSG Season 4

Discussion in 'Archive: Santa Cruz, CA' started by DarkLordSid, Jun 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkLordSid

DarkLordSid Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    ...will be the last, waaaaaaaa! At least they go out in style, and not with a wimper, but still. At least the spin off is in the works too.

The news from Scifi.com:

Battlestar Ending Next Season

The producers of SCI FI Channel's Battlestar Galactica confirmed that the upcoming fourth season will be the show's last. Executive producers Ronald Moore and David Eick said that it was a creative decision to end the acclaimed series with the upcoming 22-episode season.

"This show was always meant to have a beginning, a middle and, finally, an end," Eick and Moore said in a statement on May 31. "Over the course of the last year, the story and the characters have been moving strongly toward that end, and we've decided to listen to those internal voices and conclude the show on our own terms. And while we know our fans will be saddened to know the end is coming, they should brace themselves for a wild ride getting there: We're going out with a bang."

In November, a special two-hour Battlestar episode, "Razor," will air. The fourth season kicks off in early 2008.

At last month's Saturn Awards, Edward James Olmos said that the upcoming season would be the show's last, prompting Eick to say at the time that no decision had been made. "I promise you that when Ron and I make a decision about Galactica's future, we'll let you know," he said then.

2. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    Just heard the news. While I know a lot of people are really into it...as the Force is my witness, I tried...and just ...well it was a good show, but not the BSG I grew up with. I couldn't buy into the new format. I miss the old Starbuck, Apollo, Boomer, and the Cylons... (I loved seeing REAL Cylons at CIV. LOL)

But I do feel for those who were really into the show.. when your favorite show goes away..it just..."you know." [face_worried]

3. AboutaSith

AboutaSith Jedi Knight star 5

May 13, 2005
    I tried getting into it but it never got me hooked, watched most of last season but got bored of it. Firefly it is not.

4. Kai_Vandekar

Kai_Vandekar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Oh man, it rocks my socks. But then I love dark, hard military SF. Make it gritty, make it with hard moral choices, make it sometimes uncomfortable to watch because you're trying to figure out "what would I do in this situation?" and the happier I'll be.

But I think it's good they will end it in its own time, rather than try to stretch it out. Better to end strong and jaw-dropping than with a whimper.

- Kai

5. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    Odd the response this show gets, either people love it or hate it. Why they hate it I'll never get other than they are judging it against the old show which they love.

*shrugs*

I think the new version has brilliant writing with deep, sometimes convoluted and complex, story lines, a great cast, excellent acting, fantastic visuals in fact far better visuals than the original.

For it's time 70's Galactica was great, but to bring it back to life now exactly the same way... I think it would fail and fail miserably. We are vastly different people than we were in 1977, experienced with the aftermath of Vietnam and embroiled in another impossible war against terrorism, the slowdown of the space industry, and the horrors of 9/11. It was a different show for a different era, and any attempt to remake it closer to the original would just seem out of place. Galactica has not been able to capture the timeless quality that Star Wars has, it's still tied to the 70's and always will be.

"Reimagined" is an odd thing, taking a known entity and basically using the bare bones and tossing everything else out. It's risky as if this show had NOT had the names and designs it would likely have done better with some fans in the long run. But it's the association that snags the viewers up front, the established fan base that X-Men, Spiderman, Superman, LOTR and even Star Wars EPi-III, etc. are benefiting from now. Perhaps if Firefly had had something similar it might still be on the air. As it was it had to generate a fan base almost from square one, the only hook was that it was "from the creater of Buffy". Didn't help that FOX has a habit of quickly dropping shows like a hot potato that don't rake in massive piles of cash (Family Guy being a recent example) despite a dedicated fan following.

But to each their own. Needless to say again I like the show, and although I'll miss it at least it will be brought to a proper ending not just cut off abruptly. I also will be buying the DVDs when they come out too.

6. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    I think if they had re-named everyone, then I could have gotten into it more. While I LOVED the old show... but a re-make of it as it was just wouldn't do well. I loved the cheesiness of it..the "death music" that started up EVERY time that Apollo had a love interest, the "sound" that the cylon's made as the eye went back and forth, the "Han Solo-ness" of Starbuck..and the "Ben Cartwright in space" of Lorn Green...plus who couldn't love a chimp in a weird robot dog suit.

The new show is slick, fast, dark..well done..but for me..not BSG. I don't hate it..just can't get into it. But, I do agree with Kai..better to go out now than Jump the Shark!

7. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    I only just learned the term "Jump the Shark" last year. Somehow had missed it all this time. But agreed, yes...BSG jumping the shark would be tragic. Boy, the original did when they got to Earth. Remember that? Man, did that blow.

- Kai

8. ScootyPuffJr

ScootyPuffJr Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 11, 2007
    Dr. Zee did it. Played by the kid who played "Cousin Oliver" on the Brady Bunch. Killed two shows, quite an accomplishment... Just like William Shatner for Game/Reality Shows -- Iron Chef and Show Me The Money.) Cherie worked on SMTM and doesn't even list it on her resume', it was so awful.

Mary Thomson

9. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    I remember. CHiPs in space... eeyah. Invisible hover bikes... eyah, right. *click*

10. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    I've been meaning to look up show synopses of the "on Earth" season of the original BSG, just to remind myself of the horror. I had forgotten the Dr. Zee character.

*shudders*

- Kai

11. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    "Jump the Shark" came from a Happy Days episode when The Fonz was waterskiing and had to "jump the shark" that was in a tank..(forgot WHY he had to jump over the shark in the tank..but it was important..and killed the show)

12. me-gonk

me-gonk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    My opinion of the show is it's a great SciFi show that just happens to be named Battlestar Galactica...but it's not Battlestar Galactica.
    Once I got past looking at it with the mindset of it's not the original BSG I really got into it and really enjoy it. I think it could have held it's own instead of coming in on the coattails of something else that was successful. But that's all Hollywood has become so whatever :rolleyes:

I am going to be sad to see it gone. I'm glad they have decided to take it out in a good way and not drag it on as long as they can milk it and have it die with a whimper, or worse yet, die without a conclusion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.