main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[BSG spin-off] Caprica

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by weezer, Apr 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    I think these 2 can easily run side by side. What a great idea. While we're knee deep into the consequences of what happened in the days of Caprica on BSG, we get the backstory. I hope that they put little nuggets into the new series that will allow you to catch other little things in BSG.

Im confident that this is going to be awesome!

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    But they made the viewers lose interest due to oversaturation. DS9 and Voyager were far less successful than TNG, and moreso with Enterprise. This is probably what will happen with BSG if this goes through.

3. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    It's Admiral Nagala. :-B

Ok, I looked it up. ;)

4. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Angel, Atlantis, Boston Legal. There are tons of shows out there where the spin-off is just as good if not better then the orginal. There are plenty more that sucked big time but in the end its a crap shoot. Its certainly possible to run the orginal and a spin-off at the same time.

5. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    One could say DS9 was better than TNG both critically and creatively.

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Uh, you seem to be lacking reading comprehension.

I said nothing about the quality. There were TWO Star Trek series running at the same time throughout much of the '90s. Most viewers don't want to watch two series, nor do they want to choose which to watch; those who do choose usually don't have time to watch both. Even those people who could watch both get tired of the franchise, so ratings decline. Quality means nothing.

7. durden21

durden21 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2001
    What was ST on pre-UPN? I can't remember, was it syndicated?

I'd assume that would have more to do with viewers not watching both then any kind of "over saturation". If your CBS affiliate picks up TNG and your WB affiliate DS9 that would make viewing more difficult.

I don't know, like I said its a crap shoot on how it will work out. Angel and Atlantis both go (or went) toe to toe ratings wise with their "originals". In fact all of the "big three" at Sci-fi ended up fairly equal at the end of the year. I don't really think that adding one more would create drastic drops on that front.

Thats still assuming that its going to run concurrently with BSG. I don't even think thats a given at this point.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, this show probably won't even hit until 2007- BSG will be in it's 4th season by then, and I don't think BSG can really last for more than 5 or 6 seasons at the most, so by time Caprica hits, BSG will be in it's final days.

9. durden21

durden21 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2001
    I almost wonder if it isn't planned as the alpha to BSG's omega. Moore will wrap up BSG with a bang then use Caprica to show us how he got there in the first place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.