main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Bubba's Reviews Thread the Third!

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JediBith, Sep 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediBith

JediBith Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    Time for a new thread! Smell the fresh-thread smell! Wooo!

2. Jundland_Jay

Jundland_Jay Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 18, 2003
    But you didnt lock the old thread (?)

3. JediBith

Nov 6, 2001
    I may have mentioned this a few million times already, but CRs can NOT edit, delete, lock or otherwise mess with the boards. We have to ask RSAs to do it, which I have done. RSAs are volunteers, with jobs, families, etc., and they get to CR requests as soon as they can.

4. Varekei

Varekei Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2005
    Huh? Now I am really confused. I thought the RSA's (who are awesome for doing this besides their full time jobs & school schedules) change the headers and stuff and (also fairly awesome)you are the one who decides when to lock a thread or stuff like that.

Once again, *Sigh* Learn something every day, I guess.

5. JediBith

Nov 6, 2001
    I do decide (or consult with them about it) but I cannot actually do it. And it all has to happen within rules. They have the last call on everything. Which is fine. I'm just saying that no CR can lock a thread, delete another's post, fix a board error, or ban anyone. All we can do is make requests which are reviewed. That is how it has always been.

Anyway the point is that, as I posted above, the request for the thread-lock was sent, and this thread was opened so there would be a venue ready. Any reviews out there? Or shall we keep going over the features of theforce.net and how CRs can't do anything.

EDIT: I'm sorry if I sound upset, but little stuff like this is annoying. I wish I could take care of things, but that's not the way TF.N boards are set up. There have been debates about it for years, but it won't change. I guess I feel that people blame CRs for doing/not doing things that are totally out of their control, and it is no fun. Okay, that is all of the whine, now let's have some cheese...

6. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Go see Avenue Q, before it's too late!

7. Elensara

Elensara Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Oh, we should definitely keep going over the minutia of what you have the power to do and where you're impotent, JB. It's ever-so *fascinating*, and not at all retarded and eye-roll-worthy!
    *grits teeth*

I saw The Jane Austen Book Club on Wednesday and liked it. It was a chick sort of movie, but for the guys, there's a hot, free-spirited lesbian. Jimmy Smits's character is somewhat stupid (in a funny way). Now I actually want to read some Austen...

8. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    Though it's not in the right order, may I suggest you read "Pride and Prejudice" first?

I am watching "The Day After Tomorrow" and though kind of tragic it kind of makes me laugh a bit at it's silliness. Jake Gyllenhaal is kind of cute in it. I also think it's kind of stupid that more materials aren't breaking from the extreme cold.

9. Elensara

Elensara Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    The Day After Tomorrow is a good popcorn movie. Bad, yes, but fun-bad.

Okay, I'll start w/P&P. That'll be good anyway since I've seen the BBC thing and enjoyed it...I've seen Emma too, but not in a looooong time.

10. Jundland_Jay

Feb 18, 2003
    I saw The Kingdom with Jamie Foxx and Chris Cooper.
    A very intense politcal thriller about a covert FBI mission to assasinate a terrorist. It was very gritty and realistic and its message was very sobering.

The most disturbing part of this movie is that it really happened, and could very easily happen again.

11. Varekei

Dec 5, 2005
    JB, It may be a little boring to you, because it is so familiar, but I'd like to thank you for the explanation about what the exact job of RSA's and CR's is on the boards. I appreciate it and I'm sure I'm not the only relative newbie who does.

Thanks for your patience.
    VK

Now, back to movies....

12. JediBith

Nov 6, 2001
    Okay, so in the old thread I mentioned that BeSo and I couldn't remember the last time we'd gone to the movies, or even rented a DVD of a fairly recent release! We decided we might start catching up, and we DO have a fairly decent PPV/OnDemand feature from Dish Network, so last night we "rented" Zodiac. Robert Downey Jr. gave his usual excellent performance, Jake Gyllenhaal was adorable and winsome, and there were many small parts performed by top-notch actors whose names I don't know. The movie itself was a mystery/thriller with some real horror elements. We were really creeped-out at times, and not just because it was based on real events... nobody's 100% SURE who the real Zodiac is/was.

[face_worried]

Anyway, a recommended rental, especially if you have your security blanket handy!

13. JediVixen

JediVixen Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 18, 2001
    Saw the Final cut of Blade Runner at a Paramount screening yesterday.

For anyone who is a fan of the movie and has seen the different editions - go see this final cut edition that will be playing at the Landmark theatre in West LA. And it will
    be release on DVD in November.

It has been cleaned up (the old matte paintings look great) and some of the obvious gaffs have been taken out. New footage of Zhora and they ever filmed a very quick new shot with Ben Ford standing in for his Dad.

14. The_Sith_Hunter

The_Sith_Hunter Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 6, 2005
    I saw that recently too and really liked it!! It was well done. Who did you think was the Zodiac killer?

15. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    It was probably Arthur Leigh Allen, but there's no way of knowing for sure.

16. Varekei

Dec 5, 2005
    I saw Blood Diamond on HBO this weekend. What an excellent acting in an excellent movie!

17. Jundland_Jay

Feb 18, 2003
    Saw Akeelah and the Bee last night. Highly recommended! Well written film with a strong positive message.

Only complaint: Why is it that Laurence Fishburne always uses the same vocal inflection and patterns as he used as Morpheus in the Matrix movies?

18. AniPadmeLurker

AniPadmeLurker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2004
    I just got to see Blade Runner the final cut. Now me not being a huge Blade Runner fan, and only seeing it once before, I can't tell you if this is the best cut or not. I know that I still love the movie. And seeing it on the big screen was awesome. If you're a fan, see it anyways, but be aware tickets sell out quick. It's only playing here and NY, in one theatre.

Also started watching some horror to prepare for Halloween. Now I'm not a horror fan, at ALL and have tons of catching up to do, but I saw some last night (yes night). I saw the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and I did pretty well through that one, until the end (torture scenes you know?).

And then The Ring. Oh crap. It was ok. Some images will probably haunt my dreams, but they didn't last night, so maybe I'm home free. I did not like that they showed the tape again after the film was over, and someone played a trick on me and rang the phone at the end too. [face_talk_hand]

BTW< refernence to the old thread, I like Godfather III.

19. ScootyPuffJr

ScootyPuffJr Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 11, 2007
    Movies watched for free in Virgin America First Class while stuck on runway at JFK (four hours) then flight to LAX:

Pirates 3 (there was no way I was going to pay to see that "POC" in the theater, and man am I glad I didn't...) -- like the second one, very strong start, then muddled overlong floundering with occasional good bits... I may be in the minority here, but the meandering repetitive storylines ("we have to go here...oh wait, 45 minutes later we have to go back here some more...") are my biggest irritant.

Ocean's 13 -- back to the original format of the 'new' Oceans 11 series, and was great.

Blades of Glory -- silly and fun, costumes amazing. Great waste of brain cells when you're trapped on a plane in a big puffy seat.

Mary-SPJ

20. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    First off Virgin Atlantic First Class? We ain't all able (must be said in a very swishy way if you know what I mean).

Anyway I saw Zodiac on my VA flight and thought it was good but just a bit too long. I haven't seen anything in a while though. I saw Rocky at the Arclight but that isn't a really a new movie. It was good though and I don't guess I had ever seen it on the big screen. Much more a love story than a boxing story though.

21. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    I just got back from seeing "3:10 to Yuma". The first 10 minutes or so were rather slow and I got worried, but it picked up and caught me. When they were getting close to boarding the train, I had no idea how it would end. There were so many directions it could have gone. I liked it!

I finally found somebody to go to the movies with. My best friend's teenage daughter. She and I seem to like the same types of movies and her mom doesn't really like going to movies at all. Yea, now I don't have to wait for them to come out on video before seeing them!

22. JediBith

Nov 6, 2001
    We finally saw "Hot Fuzz" by the "Shaun of the Dead" guys. Wow, even funnier! We were dying, dying from laughter. We're gonna buy this one! [face_laugh]

23. ScootyPuffJr

Jan 11, 2007
    I do, and I love you for it...

Mary-SPJ

24. Jundland_Jay

Feb 18, 2003
    I would like to point out that the absolute lowest price I saw for Upper Class on VA to London was $7,428 round trip. Either SPJ is independently wealthy (and I mean like George Lucas wealthy), or she is apprentice to a Sith Lord, or perhaps she prints her own money. In any case, we're not worthy!!!! o_O

25. ScootyPuffJr

Jan 11, 2007
    Okay, everybody go back to my first post: VIRGIN *AMERICA*. First class LAX-NY-LAX was just over $1000, in puffy leather massage chairs -- it was heaven. This is the new low-cost airline that is kind of a spin-off of Virgin Atlantic. Hint: If you're going to SF for WonderCon, book tickets now and it's like $44 each way, a total steal -- and even coach class is nice, black leather seats, every seat with like 6000 MP3s and nearly 100 movies/dish TV, etc. All that and *no* cattle-call boarding like on Southwest. That alone is worth the price of the flight!

I am apprenticed to a Sith Lord, however -- Cherie. And she is independently modestly wealthy (I literally married an heiress...her family owns commercial-property-rental land in Orange County, which is pretty much like diamonds bubbling up out of the ground every month) as well as a TV researcher/writer/producer. As for printing money -- hey, *I* wanted to tell them!!! Ssshhh!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.