LA, CA Bubba's Reviews Thread the Third!

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JediBith, Sep 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jiltedtoo Jedi Master

star 4
    I need to get Full Metal Jacket on HD DVD.

Most of my HD DVDs came for free when I bought my HD DVD player.

I did buy 300 on HD DVD which was pretty good.

Can't wait to buy Cloverfield on HD DVD.
  2. Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    I still haven't received my free HD DVDs. JT, you should look at some of the HD DVDs from Europe. Since HD DVD is region free, you can import HD DVD movies that were released on Blu Ray here in the states.
  3. Jiltedtoo Jedi Master

star 4
    I'll have to check the European ones out. I usually just rent HD DVDs from Blockbuster online.
  4. CountDuku3126 Jedi Knight

star 1
    But haven't you heard that HD dvd is losing in the fight against BluRay.
  5. AniPadmeLurker Jedi Master

star 4
    And yet the BluRay player seems to suck more. It likes to freeze and takes even longer to load things than HD.
  6. Jundland_Jay Jedi Master

star 4
    Forget you all, I'm buying a Betamax! [face_laugh]
  7. Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Not to mention if Blu Ray does win, the prices will stay fixed for a very long time because the Blu Ray discs are expensive to make. HD DVD has already gone down in price it's almost regular DVD priced. All HD needs is our impending recession to for the studios and people to choose HD DVD because of lower costs. I will admit though that Blu Ray is a good format for video games, but I still stand with HD DVD.
  8. Skyryder Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well it's over. Netflix announced yesterday that it will only carry Blu Ray.

http://netflix.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=265

Since four of the six movie studios have chosen Blu Ray they felt it was the only way to go.
  9. Varekei Jedi Master

star 4
    So, now you need a VHS player for your old & home made tapes, a DVR for the tapes you have now, and a Blu Ray for the movies you want to watch at home in the future?! Man, talk about money grubbing *&@%#s!!!
  10. Jiltedtoo Jedi Master

star 4
    The PS3 pushed out more blu ray players on the market and is the only reason why blu ray is out selling. If the 360 had come out with HD players built in then HD would hands down be winning the war.

The main issue though is that people do not want to buy very expensive blu ray players. In 10 years discs will probably be a thing of the past anyway as downloading movies will be much easier and cost effective.
  11. crazybirdman Force Ghost

star 4
    don't forget that the software has to be updated with an internet connection or an update disc. Lot's have people have bought DVD's only to get home and find they can't watch them yet.
  12. Skyryder Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I agree with JT, in 10 years there won't be any discs or players. Everything will download to your tv and play from there. No more will you have a bookcase filled with boxes of your favorite tv show or movie.

I don't know which way I'm going to go to buy one or not.
  13. Varekei Jedi Master

star 4
    Bummer, I don't have an overwhelming collection of DVD's and self made VHS tapes, but I definitely have more than I could store on my DVR. Seems to me, there's going to be a storage problem if you can't have them stored on a physical data thing, even if you buy teeny tiny 1" square disks or something.
  14. Skyryder Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    That isn't what's going to happen. You don't "store" them on anything. Just like I do now with Tivo/Amazon.com. I buy a movie from Amazon.com and it downloads to my Tivo box. However when I'm finished I delete it off. But because I've bought it Amazon.com keeps a list of my movies and I can download it again when I want to watch it with no extra charge. So Amazon.com store's my movies.
  15. Elensara Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm lame like VK2 and enjoy recording things off tv--these things aren't likely to ever be downloadable--things like interviews on talk or entertainment shows, concert footage, random news show things, random parts of SNL or Conan or awards shows... This is why I needs me a DVD burning DVR!!!! I hate how many things I wanted to keep have gotten shoved off our 80 hour dvr.

But yeah, music is [probably] going this way too--instead of needing that 80GB ipod, you can just subscribe to the magical music catalogue and listen to whatever you want whenever you want. Only problem would be if it were expensive...I don't listen to music constantly like a lot of people and if it were $50 a month or something...it'd be too much.
    Too bad I'm pathetically old fashioned and enjoy having physical things, like cds with liner notes & artwork (thank goodness I don't have a record player--I'd be in trouble then!). Gonna be sad when the physical manifestations of music & movies disappear. Oh man, I just remembered I was sorely tempted to buy a FILM version of the X-Files movie back in the day on ebay--only didn't 'cause, y'know, I'd have to buy a projector too (are movie film projectors even...sold? ebay or *anywhere*?? haha!).
  16. Varekei Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh my force!!! ES, we are in total agreement here?! Can we stand it, ES??? (wink) (Someone, call Chicken Little quick! Make sure the sky's not falling down!)

But, seriously, I love all the modern options, but I hate when an old option is "taken away." I enjoy watching TV and reading stuff on the internet. But, @*%! would I hate it if I couldn't actually read a book or newspaper when I wanted to because they didn't make them anymore.
  17. JediNoc Jedi Master

star 3
    You late adapters need to make sure your TV sets or pay service boxes are good to go with the digital spectrum 'cause come February 2009 we broadcast stations are all pulling the analog plug! I thought this was common knowledge until my sister claimed ignorance...
  18. Skyryder Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Ok, you guys live in your cave with a flint rock and some wood.

Sony now makes this "book" (and a few other companies as well) that is a slim reader that you download your books and newspapers onto. You can read them and then when finished just delete them off but same principle you can always redownload them for free. And they are wireless so you can download from any wifi area.

They will one day work the dvd extras into this thing as well as every other type of show so you won't miss out on anything ES. It's more environmentally friendly not to have all that wasted cd cases and stuff.

As for music I already belong to Yahoo's Unlimited service. I can download and listen to any song I want and take it with me on my portable players. It costs $150 per year.
  19. Elensara Jedi Master

star 4
    "Sony now makes this "book" (and a few other companies as well) that is a slim reader that you download your books and newspapers onto. You can read them and then when finished just delete them off but same principle you can always redownload them for free. And they are wireless so you can download from any wifi area."

Suckitude. Who wants to read a book on a screen (yucky)? It is cool that things like that are now wireless though.

Oh, and with that music thing, you're still carrying around copies of the song on hard drives. I'm saying it'll only be wireless--you won't need to carry music storage containers, only a player.

I HOPE a show database-type thing would include everything, but I seriously doubt it. There are plenty of things that people never want to see the light of day again, and I really really doubt network late shows, old football games, etc. would ever be included. (Oh man, if they were, the first football thing I'd look for would be that FOX montage of Brett Favre and Dan Marino set to "Two Hearts Beat as One"!!!)
  20. DarthHaskett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I agree with ES. While I've known about these "computer books" for a while I don't think I will ever get one unless they stop printing actual books. I know books take up a lot of space (my house is overflowing with books) but I love looking at them, turning pages, smelling fresh print (or relatively fresh any way). It's sad. As for tv, all of ours are HD save one which we rarely ever use any way. I am kind of looking forward to not having DVDs sitting around (my house is overflowing with DVDs too) though.
  21. Skyryder Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Finally saw Cloverfield last night. I know it's been out forever. However it was worth the wait because I got to see it free and with a Q&A with the writer afterwards. I enjoyed the movie a lot.

One thing no one has mentioned yet. The last scene when they are on the ferris wheel, did anyone else see that thing fall from the sky into the ocean in the background?

I saw it and then the writer brought it up as well as the monster falling from the sky "maybe".
  22. Varekei Jedi Master

star 4
    No, it was Oceanic Flight 815. Oops, wrong thread. Never mind.
  23. Skyryder Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Funny you should mention that though. You know since this writer wrote the Cloverfield screenplay and writes for LOST people wondered if there were any connections. And there were. In the beginning credits there is a Dharma symbol. Then there were some other items too through out the movie. Sort of silly really.
  24. ScootyPuffJr Jedi Knight

star 2
    Getting this back on movies again instead of format arguments (put it this way, I don't curl up with a good iPod or electronic reader at night -- I love books, real books, magazines, etc. Everything has its place in life)

ANYWAY.

I'm just sayin':

March 3: Murder on the Orient Express
    March 4: Barbarella (odd, it's NR with lotsa nudity but they don't seem to have a 21+ advisory on this. huh.)
    March 25: Mommie Dearest (!!!!!!)
    March 31: The Untouchables (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) (21 and over only admitted)

Thank you, God, for the Arclight.

All on sale soon.

I know these are weekdays, but if you haven't seen any of these on the big screen, you should. Particularly The Untouchables. "That's the Chicago Way."

Mary-SPJ
  25. Skyryder Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Is this any part of a special series SPJ? I get the Arclight newsletter but haven't really read it lately. I do love seeing the old movies that I missed back on the big screen.

The Untouchables you say?? I loved that movie.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.