Bubba's Reviews Thread the Third!

Discussion in 'Los Angeles, CA' started by JediBith, Sep 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthHaskett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The Untouchables is a great movie. I so loved Kevin Costner back then.

I watched Roman Holiday last night (for the billionth time). Love that movie. I don't know why it is not among the top 10 most romantic movies. Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn are fantastic as is Eddie Albert.
  2. Jundland_Jay Jedi Master

star 4
    SPJ,
    Why would the Untouchables be 21 and over? It was rated R wasn't it?
  3. Varekei Jedi Master

star 4
    Barbarella was one of my favorite movies when I was a kid. I don't remember all that much nudity, just an awful lot of sex jokes, which were just broad enough for me to get.

I love that movie!
  4. Skyryder Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    JJ, the Arclight has 21 and older screenings because you can buy alcohol at the bar and bring it in to the movie. I love the Arclight!
  5. Elensara Jedi Master

star 4
    OH, I forgot to mention that when seeing U2:3D, the IMAX had a bar just inside the theater! I didn't go see whether they had anything besides beer (it was a smallish bar...thing, not like, a permanent one) 'cause I came in through the exit so as to avoid being in everyone's way with my slow-ass crutchy self. NEXT TIME, I'll check. They don't have 21+ showings or anything; I guess they just card you if you're partaking. Luckily for me, our lovely IMAX isn't running Hannah Montana, and U2:3D continues on at least another 3 weeks, by which time Hannah Montana will hopefully be gone and the u2 thing will be at the other 3D theaters. :D
  6. Varekei Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, but wouldn't you kind of need a drink to sit through a Hannah Montana movie (if you're over 12, which is tough for anyone 13-20 who has to do so.)
  7. ScootyPuffJr Jedi Knight

star 2
    Arclight has this wonderful weekly offering called "21+ screeings" wherein they only allow 21+ (and they do card at the black-box entrance) -- so one a) is guaranteed a screening with no unruly youngsters or crying babies and b) is happily encouraged by the Arclight to bring in and happily consume open containers of your favorite ETOH from the Arclight bar. I'm assuming they're going to do this for this screening, one can hope!

Which SR and others already said, I didn't read far enough...thanks!

Mary-SPJ
  8. ScootyPuffJr Jedi Knight

star 2
    They're all part of the AFI 100 years/100 movies series.

I suggest (if you haven't already) sign up for an arclight member card (the points accumulate very quickly even if you go only like once every couple months or so like we do), and you can earn free popcorn and other grub at the candy counter, $5 off items in gift shop, free tickets, etc fast. And sign up for their e-mail list, you get all the info in advance. They send a weekly update.

The celeb-sighting opportunities at the Arclight bar/cafe' are great too: We've met Elijah Wood, Penn Gillette, Wayne Knight and more, and not on 'event' nights either. And the Arclight has the added benefit of Amoeba Records across the street. There's also a new char-grill steaks/burgers place open on the corner which we haven't tried yet.

Mary-SPJ
  9. ScootyPuffJr Jedi Knight

star 2
    Is anyone actually going to see Jumper?

I feel like I've already seen the entire film, what with bombardment of long commercials, commercials WITHIN commercials (the Jumper commercial that morphed into a HP commercial then back into a Jumper commercial - ICK!) on Fox, the endless and annoying Jumper subtitle-animatics during all Fox programming, long preview during Adult Swim on Weds -- UGH. No freaking thanks. If the adage is true that trailers/commercials show all the best parts of the film, I think I'm good, without having spent a dime.

Mary-SPJ
  10. Lowbacca_1977 Force Ghost

star 6
    Diary of the Dead comes out, I think, today. Great zombie movie/ social commentary from Romero. Saw it Wednesday at the Egyptian with Romero there, and there was apparently a fairly good number of celebs there as well. None I recognised though.
  11. Skyryder Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I saw the trailers for both those movies just the other night. I haven't watched TV in about a month so I have no idea about all the marketing for Jumber but did hear on the radio that Fox has gone overboard.
  12. Jundland_Jay Jedi Master

star 4
    But it stars Anakin Skywalker and Mace Windu!!!!
  13. ScootyPuffJr Jedi Knight

star 2
    [face_skull]
  14. Skyryder Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I just got back from seeing Jumper. It was fine. It didn't make me want to go out and change the world or anything, but it did what it was supposed to do and that was to keep me entertained for an hour and a half.

I wish I had that power though. It would save on gas and we wouldn't need cars and roads.
  15. Skyryder Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Just watched No Country For Old Men. I had an Oscar screener from my roommate. Has anyone else seen this movie? I need a second opinion. I'm still thinking about it. I want to say I liked it at first then things took a tangent maybe. I say maybe because I may have thought the movie was about one thing when in fact it was about something else completely. Does that make sense?

There was an action part of the story that I thought was the main story but in fact it may have been the secondary story and the main story was something more subtle.

Anyway someone compare notes with me.
  16. JediBith Jedi Master

star 4
    Haven't seen the movie, but read the book...and heard the movie was very different. Also heard fans of one hated the other. Guess that doesn't help. I think I need to see it, eh?

Edit: as reader, not viewer, but longtime fan of Cormac's stuff I know his works are...hard to take. Really hard-hitting, and long considered unfilm-able. That this movie got made really amazes me. I like that it leaves people perplexed...so I guess I should see it now. Hmnnnn.
  17. AniPadmeLurker Jedi Master

star 4
    Mmmm I don't know what to think either. I like it but I don't. I don't particularly like Cormac either... I remember reading one of his books and being bored. I liked elements of it let's just say...
  18. Jundland_Jay Jedi Master

star 4
    I watched it with my brother. He liked the action sequences, but thought almost every scene with Tommy Lee Jones in it sucked.

I thought the nostalgic sequences were very boring myself. OK, this country isnt what it used to be when major drugdeals go down in the middle of Nowhere, Texas. We get it. You don't have to shove it down our throats with a dozen static droning scenes.

Javier Bardem is amazing though, and every scene he was in was riveting, especially with the old sundires store clerk.
  19. DarthHaskett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    This weekend I saw Letters from Iwo Jima and it was awesome. It was so tragic but what an emotional film. I think in many ways I enjoyed it more than Flags of Our Fathers.
  20. Elensara Jedi Master

star 4
    DH, Letters from Iwo Jima is supposed to be better than Flags of our Fathers...I've only seen 'Flags', and would've watched 'Letters' on IFC or whatever the other day but I missed the first 15 minutes, man! It's on the netflix queue...

Finally saw Hot Fuzz and it was crazy/funny/awesome. I think I like Shaun of the Dead better (unrelated story-wise, but everyone who's seen both seems to pick one they prefer...)

Oh, and the sis and I watched the original OT over three nights, whee! We watched the used tapes I got at Amoeba, the ones sold in '96. With the captions on, of course, 'cause they're TERRIBLE! "The Jundland Wastes are dangerous." "Don't impress me." "Get back on schedule." Ahahahaha.
  21. crazybirdman Force Ghost

star 4
    I saw King of Kong, it was fantastic. Rent it, even if you don't like video games.
  22. AniPadmeLurker Jedi Master

star 4
    I went to that. I haven't seen any of his previous, and I'm sure they're great, but this movie gave me a headache. I felt like he was pandering to the youth audience. There were a few kick-butt parts but in general, not my favorite type of movie. I kept thinking, "Make the camera stop shaking!"
  23. Skyryder Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Did it shake more or less than Cloverfield? Also why all the shaky movies recently?
  24. DarthHaskett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    This weekend I watched "The Last Legion" and "Superbad". I thought Superbad was okay. It was kind of heartwarming at the end. I really liked The Last Legion. Sure, a lot of it was totally implausible but I thought over all it was fine. Plus Colin Firth is just great.
  25. Jiltedtoo Jedi Master

star 4
    Started to watch the Oscars last night and realized I had not seen a single one of the movies nominated for best picture.

In fact I had seen probably about 3 of the movies mentioned the whole night.

Is this a sign of me getting old and out of touch with society?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.