LA, CA Bubba's Reviews Thread the Third!

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JediBith, Sep 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AniPadmeLurker Jedi Master

star 4
    Watching the Oscars made me want to go rent La Vie En Rose. It looks cool. I'm so glad Ratatouille won. I wish There Will Be Blood had won more.

Last night I finally saw American Beauty. What a great film. Now that film definitely deserved the Oscar. I'm glad I finally agree with the Academy.
  2. Elensara Force Ghost

star 4
    I only saw three too, JT (Gone Baby Gone, Across the Universe, and the Elizabeth one). Super lame. I just watched for Jon[ny boy] & the dresses (Cate Blanchett ftw!!). Speaking of "super", Superbad was not OKAY, DH, it was *hilarious*!
  3. JediBith Jedi Master

star 4
    We bought "La Vie en Rose" and were so happy for Marion Cotillard. She was amazing in that! Very sad movie though. I think the only other one we saw was "Ratatouille." How French of us! :p

Wait, I just remembered we saw "Eastern Promises" but I blotted it out (Viggo was nominated for that). It was pretty unimpressive, naked fight scene notwithstanding. I-)

Basically, we only see things on DVD or Pay-Per-View. Which explains why we've not seen most of the nominees yet.
  4. Skyryder Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I have Michael Clayton on the tivo ready to watch, but haven't had the time.
  5. MrZAP Force Ghost

star 5
    I am disappointed with Ellen Page and Johnny Depp not getting Best Actress and Actor wins. I didn't expect it, but I still wanted it.:(

Oh, and Boo to Transformers not winning anything!
  6. DarthHaskett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I watched most of the Oscars but like most did not see many of the movies. In fact, I don't think I saw any of the Best Picture nominees.

Okay, Superbad was funny but it was so incredibly vulgar.
  7. AniPadmeLurker Jedi Master

star 4
    I am definitely happy with the Academy's choice of best Actor. Johnny Depp is sometimes overrated. I loved Sweenty Todd. I like a lot of his films. Comparing his performance in Sweeny Todd and Daniel Day Lewis' in There Will Be Blood-there is no contest.

8. ScootyPuffJr Jedi Knight

star 2
    Whilst up at Wondercon we zipped across Market st to the Virg-Megastore -- Cherie scored the Imperial Edition DVD of "Caligula" which I haven't seen in literally almost 20 years. This thing's packed with 3 DVDs of ALL versions (including deleted scenes (!!!) if you can believe that), plus documentaries, trailers, etc. The 70's clothes and stuff in the docs alone is worth the price!

This is my #1 production that perfectly defines "films where the wheels completely fall off" and caused a friend of mine to be unshakably convinced for years that Gore Vidal only wrote dirty books. Peter O'Toole said it the best -- "When we left on Friday, we were all in a big-budget historical drama...when we came back on Monday, we were all in a big-budget X-rated..." (to paraphrase so I dont get TOS'd).

Definitely not for the kiddies, the easily offended or faint of heart. Consider yourselves warned. We're going to watch the lesser R-rated version tonight because that's the one with the new commentary by Helen Mirren and Malcolm McDowell. Can't wait to hear this!

Mary-SPJ
  9. Varekei Jedi Master

star 4
    SPJ, did you ever see Fellini's Satyricon? If you liked Caligula, you might enjoy that as well.
  10. ScootyPuffJr Jedi Knight

star 2
    Oh, absolutely, long ago! And it's not so much "like" and "enjoy" as, "maaaaannnn...."

Anyway the commentary on C leaves a bit to be desired, I hate when the commentators blather on randomly about any and everything EXCEPT the scene playing. Also MMcD and HM were not commentating together (instead on separate tracks), which is really too bad. Also the deleted scenes weren't really all that. But still I'm glad to have a remastered copy of all the versions on DVD.

Mary-SPJ
  11. MrZAP Force Ghost

star 5
    Well, after leaving Lowbacca and friend at the Galleria today, I went to the Arclight in the same mall and saw No Country for Old Men. I liked it a lot, although I still think Juno should have won best picture. The acting was superb, and Javier Bardem's acting was just phenomenal. I have to say that that was one of the most gritty, realistic films I've seen in quite a while, and the almost complete lack of a film score simply added to that. I give it an 8.5 out of 10.[face_peace]
  12. ScootyPuffJr Jedi Knight

star 2
    We haven't been to that Arclight yet, we are firmly entrenched at the Dome. How is that one? Is the bar good? Do they still have all the same good food at the concessions?
    What is the fastest land animal at over 100 yards distance? When is the midnight buffet? Did you know the McCallisters are going to France? Do these vans get good gas mileage?

Mary-SPJ
  13. MrZAP Force Ghost

star 5
    Well, I was watching Flags of Our Fathers tonight. The first hour and twenty minutes were very good...then it stopped reading the disc. I'm very upset at this.[face_plain]
  14. ScootyPuffJr Jedi Knight

star 2
    Well, well, ain't my little summer dance card filling up:

3/28: 21 and Run Fatboy Run
    4/4: Leathernecks
    4/18: First Saturday in May (documentary that did well at TriBeCa, will really only interest those into horse racing)
    5/2: Iron Man
    5/9: Speed Racer
    5/16: Prince Caspian
    5/22: Indiana Jones
    5/30: *** and the City
    6/20: Get Smart
    6/27: Wall*E
    7/4: Gonzo: The Life and Work of Hunter S. Thompson
    7/11: H***boy 2 (!!!!!)
    7/18: Dark Knight
    8/1: The Mummy sequel again
    8/15: Clone Wars

I didn't list everything that's coming out, just the stuff I'm interested in. Busy busy busy...

Mary-SPJ
  15. ScootyPuffJr Jedi Knight

star 2
    Life is good = Guillermo del Toro to direct "The Hobbit"...
  16. ScootyPuffJr Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hi all, I know there's been some dumping on as well as kudos for the Arclight/Cinerama Dome theater lately, but I wanted to FYI on an upcoming bash. When I heard last month they were getting S And The City, I called customer service and asked if they were planning 21+ showing for SATS (which would, duh, make sense). They said at that time they hadn't planned anything, but this week's online newsletter proclaims:

SATS Special 21+ Party Shows opening weekend (5/30-6/1). Party starts at 9:00 both locations, all three days. Tickets are $60 and include:
    Regular admission 21+ ticket (which means no kids or teens, and you can bring your adult libation openly into the theater), arclight cafe' bar party reservation including two cocktails, a wide range of appetizers ("mini NY style pizzas, mini NY style hot dogs, Chinese noodles in a mini takeout box, grilled summer vedge with watermelon BBQ sauce, hummus-pita, assorted pastry bites, Susina cupcakes and more..."), a SATS Fedora and logo martini glass and all taxes and tips.

Hollywood showing is 10:45 p.m., Sherman Oaks at 10:30.

In a word: Yay!

Tickets are supposed to be on sale today but the link isn't up yet.

So, see, they do listen. I'm so sorry that other people haven't had good experiences, ACL Hollywood is my #1 theater of choice. The bar, no commercial trailers and all-reserved seating alone are worth the extra couple bucks.
  17. Varekei Jedi Master

star 4
    I saw Hancock and Indiana Jones this weekend and liked both. I think Cate Blanchette may be the best IJ villain ever. And I like that they stuck a classic Star Wars line in the movie.

But, the odd thing about Hancock: It was written like a family film, the tone and story line, but had a lot of censorable language. I would so recommend it to kids except for that. Yes, it was predictable, but it was still enjoyable.

I'm looking forward to the Hellboy, Mummy, Batman & Clone Wars movies, and more.

18. Varekei Jedi Master

star 4
    First, I want to apologize for the double post. But, I saw the best movie I've seen since Iron Man this weekend.

Mongol

It's the first part of a trilogy about the life of Ghengis Khan. It's all in Mongolian with subtitles, which I often find distracting, but this time I barely noticed. Both the adventure and romance parts of the movie kept my complete interest. Even the battle scenes, which are often confusing and monotonous, kept my total attention. The acting, costumes and cinematography were likewise excellent. I wasn't sure if it was 100% accurate, but according to one of the History Advisors in my office, the story is from actual Mongol history.

This movie's been around for a while, but if it's still playing anywhere near you, I'd wholeheartedly recommend seeing it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.