main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Bubba's Reviews Thread the Third!

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JediBith, Sep 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    I think one of my biggest problem's with Kiera's version is she plays the role too much like Jo from Little Women than Elizabeth. I don't even remember the kiss.

I saw the Jimmy Fallon version of Fever Pitch recently and it was cute. I had posted previously that it was based on the Colin Firth version but instead of complete devotion to a football (soccer) team, this one is about the Red Sox. It's not a bad rental but better if it's free on tv. I guess the coolest thing about the movie is they happened to film it the year the Red Sox really won and were actually there when they won in St. Louis. Talk about serendipity.

2. Jundland_Jay

Jundland_Jay Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 18, 2003
    Saw All the King's Men on cable last night. Zaillan should stick with screenwriting, IMHO. Very looong and drawn out, perhaps needlessly so. Decent performances from Sean Penn and James Gandolfini.

3. Varekei

Varekei Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2005
    I finally saw Happy Feet which I found cliche, but charming.

4. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    Don't forget that today is the 29th Anniversary of The Star Wars Holiday Special! The much reviled, though nostalgically loved Holiday Special was originally aired on November 17th, 1978.

I've got it sitting in with all my DVDs yet have never watched it. Maybe I should just suck it up and watch the darn thing.

5. JediNoc

JediNoc Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 9, 2005
    Do you have a clean copy, JF? My copy is so bad it's unwatchable and I don't mean just because of the content, lol! Haven't seen most of it since I was a little kid but still remember how excited I was to have Star Wars on my TV. I think my mom, who loved the movie, was silently cringing in the background while that special aired.

6. Jundland_Jay

Feb 18, 2003
    Don't waste 45 min of your precious life watching this piece of Maker-awful poodoo! Try this instead: SW Holiday Special in 5 Min

7. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    JN, I don't know if it's a clean copy or not as I haven't had the nerve to watch it yet. It's an interesting story of how I got the DVD, too. It was accidentally loaned to me by somebody I don't even know. I wonder if that will make the special even better???

8. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    People from LiningUp.Net all got really nice copies from one of the members. It's got other things on it like the Muppets show with Mark, and some Kenner toy ads from the early years.

I should bring it to a meeting one day.

9. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    Bring copies! :D Please!

10. Darth-Bubba

Darth-Bubba Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2002
    I wonder if Beowulf was any good? hmmm...

11. AniPadmeLurker

AniPadmeLurker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2004
    I saw Beowulf this weekend. Not a great movie in my opinion. Blech. That's all I have to say. They're trying to impersonate 300, and it's just blech.

12. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    I saw Beowulf over the weekend too, and I loved it. Especially the part where well...you know, that part.

13. Jiltedtoo

Jiltedtoo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 18, 2002
  14. Jundland_Jay

Feb 18, 2003
    Saw Bee Movie yesterday. It was clever and witty and silly. There was alot of material that only us youth-challenged people would understand. All in all, a good movie and certainly worth the price of matinee admission.

15. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    I saw Beowulf in Imax 3-D. I thought it was good. The 3-D is good. Imax makes it seem really close though. Maybe too close. I liked the story.

16. Varekei

Dec 5, 2005
    One of my coworkers posted some negative PR about Golden Compass, but it only makes me want to see the movie more.

17. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    Due to my job, I've heard all about it. Did the person that posted the negative stuff see the film or read the book or are they just going on hearsay?? People see what they want to see. I've read the whole trilogy of His Dark Materials and thought it was great fantasy. Period.

If anybody is worried about younglings seeing the film and is interested in more information, PM me and I will send you links to two different interviews with the author. They're really interesting and give facts so you can decide for yourself.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm so sick of people passing all sorts of negativity around about books and movies without ever seeing or reading them. How can you have an educated opinion without having the education? These people just parrot what others say. Have a clue folks! Find out for yourselves, then I'll be interested in what you have to say!

18. Varekei

Dec 5, 2005
    JF, ditto & then some! That's why I asked, it sounded pretty bogus to me, too.

19. Jundland_Jay

Feb 18, 2003
    SawBeowulf in IMAX 3D. AWESOME!!!! AMAZING!!! INCREDIBLE!!! Zemeckis is brilliant!!! CG was absolutely breathtakingly photo-realistic. Camera angles were positively inspired. Hopkins, Malkovich and Winstone gave great performances. Jolie was HOT!!!

I give it 105 stars out of 10.

A Must-see! No, I mean it. Get off your lazy, turkey-stuffed butts and go see it! [face_laugh]

20. Jiltedtoo

Nov 18, 2002
    I guess I have to see Beowulf tomorrow.

I saw the Mist tonight.

Man that movie blew me away, I mean awesome horror movie.

And then the end happened and well it kind of sucked.

21. Jiltedtoo

Nov 18, 2002
    Saw Beowulf tonight....were you guys serious when you said it was so great?

I mean, it was 'eh' at best.

22. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    I watched a movie called ?The Golden Bowl? with Jeremy Northam, Kate Beckinsale, Uma Thurman, and Nick Nolte. It is a movie about an American Billionaire (Nolte), his daughter (Beckinsale), her good friend (Thurman) and an impoverished Italian prince (Northam) and was set in Victorian England/Europe. It was intriguing and parts were predictable. I did enjoy it despite that.

23. Varekei

Dec 5, 2005
    Oh, I saw that movie, too, DH. I thought it was pretty good in an artsy sort of way.

I saw The Nativity Story on HBO this weekend. It was a nice "feel good" flick and the acting was pretty good. I'm not sure I would have thought it was worth it if I went to see it in the theatre.

24. AniPadmeLurker

AniPadmeLurker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2004
    Look back at my post. Did I not say it was not very good? It's because I'm a woman isn't it?

Haven't watched much lately. Started to watch Ewok Adventures today. I haven't seen them since I was a youngling. So corny, but soo good.

25. Jiltedtoo

Nov 18, 2002
    I KNOW!

I believed Jay and Bubba over your opinion.

Never again.

and yes it's because you are a woman.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.