main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Bubba's Reviews Thread the Third!

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JediBith, Sep 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScootyPuffJr

ScootyPuffJr Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 11, 2007
    Besides, I already saw it -- it was called "The Omega Man" with Charlton Heston.

Wanna great Debbie-Downer Pre-SW SF movie marathon for the holidays? Omega Man, Soylent Green and Silent Running. If you don't want to eat a pistol by the end of them, you have great staying power! Man, no wonder SW saved the world...

And there's always the black comedy "Dark Star" -- one of my personal favorites.

Mary-SPJ

2. Jiltedtoo

Jiltedtoo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 18, 2002
    First it is Will Smith...if thats not amazing enough for you.

There are zombies, who mostly come out at night...mostly.

There is nothing, and I repeat nothing typical about this zombie movie.

Trust me it will be amazing!

As for DOA, if I do watch it it will be specific scenes and I will watch them over and over again.

3. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    Well I do love Will Smith and zombies so I'm sure I will like it. The bad thing is that when it comes out I will be in East Texas where there aren't any movie theaters for miles and miles and miles.

4. AniPadmeLurker

AniPadmeLurker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2004
    Saw the I Am Legend last night. It kicked butt. Very good. It was so good I thought it was almost short...or the time flew by. One or the other. Definitely one to see in the theatre (in IMAX if you can;) )

5. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I'm seeing that tonight on our (Diet) IMAX. :D

Is it sad that I'm looking forward to the Dark Knight stuff than the actual movie? :p

6. Jundland_Jay

Jundland_Jay Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 18, 2003
    I saw a screening of Fast Times at Ridgemont High last night in the Sherman Oaks Galleria, the same location they shot the movie. What a fitting way to celebrate its 25th anniversary. I feel so old. :(

7. ScootyPuffJr

Jan 11, 2007
    OMG! That's awesome! "Hey, I know that dude..."

Mary-SPJ

8. AniPadmeLurker

Nov 30, 2004
    That's one thing I didn't get to see: The Batman prologue. Ah well. I'm sure it'll be on the net soon.

9. AniPadmeLurker

Nov 30, 2004
    I saw Punch Drunk Love last night. Not a bad film.

10. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    that label/airfare thing really happened to some dude.

11. ScootyPuffJr

Jan 11, 2007
    HAPPY DANCE!!! "The Hobbit" with Peter Jackson Exe-producing (and exerting major controls) is negotiated, GREENLIT and a GO! No director yet, but they kicked Sam Raimi's name around. From what I've read so far, they're planning on two films, hoping for Hobbit to be released for holidays 2010, and then a "bridge" film closing the gap between the Hobbit and LOTR. Happy happy sigh...FINALLY!

12. Varekei

Varekei Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2005
    Hurray! Next to Star Wars I love Harry Potter & Tolkien the best!

13. Jundland_Jay

Jundland_Jay Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 18, 2003
    Did they give any reason why Jackson will not be directing the Hobbit himself?

14. ScootyPuffJr

Jan 11, 2007
    His decision - he's busy with other directing projects on his schedule. But according to the morning news, the New Line/MGM/Jackson "settlement deal" is purportedly worth $40M to him alone right out of the gate, NL distributes domestically, MGM distributes internationally, and Jackson and his team have almost complete total creative control over just about everything involved in the project, including direction, writing, casting, etc and effects house used (COUGH *WETA* COUGH!), so it sounds like he'll have a continuously heavy guiding hand...which is good.

The scuttlebutt is NL finally rolled over and showed their belly because of how wretchedly the take for "Golden Compass" is going, and they're getting desperate now after what is it, three successive flops/underperformers? Not for me to say, tho...(whistling)

Mary-SPJ

15. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    I finished reading "A Thousand Splendid Suns" yesterday and it was fantastic. It was written by Khaled Housseini who also wrote "The Kite Runner". It was depressing at times and kind of uplifting at times too. It really makes you feel for the poor suffering people of Afghanistan. I have to admit it was predictable at times but over all I really enjoyed it and recommend it. I guess now I have to read "The Kite Runner" though I have been catching up with my Andrew Clements books. I've loved his books since "Frindle" and I know they are way too young but I still enjoy them.

16. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Mi familia saw "National Treasure Book of Secrets" this weekend and really enjoyed it. Sure, there are plenty of problems and plot holes but it was kind of cool. I was simply amazed the at the sheer number of Academy Award winners in that movie. Any way, if you are looking for an escape for a couple of hours, it's one I'd recommend.

17. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    If you like Andrew Clements, try one of his newest, "No Talking". The whole 5th grade class, called The Unshushables, start a boy vs girl contest of no talking. I read it to my 3rd graders and they loved it and am in the middle of reading it to my own Unshushable 5th graders. It's fun!

I'm ashamed to say that I've only read that one and "A Week In the Woods". Since you're recommending it, I'll give "Frindle" a try.

18. Varekeii

Varekeii Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 26, 2006
    First the rave reviews: Miana & JediYvette, I love the new post Christmas holiday header! Love it!!! Adorable! Hysterical! Very creative!

I finally saw 300 & now I'm sorry I missed it on big screen. It was beautifully done! There were a few historical inaccuracies (like the oracle part. Leonides went to the oracle at Delphi and she told him he would have to die to save Greece, not that he shouldn't fight.)but who cares! Great movie!

Then for the stinker review: I saw AVP2 on Xmas Eve with GForce, Wafflebot and 7 other handsome, charming men. Although the company was wonderful and I appreciated the treat (I never saw a movie at Grauman's Chinese before), I thought it was the worst movie I'd seen in years. Now, I loved all the Aliens movies, liked the Predator movies and kind of liked AVP1. But, this one was a big disappointment to me. It started off pretty good, but went downhill on a steep slope and very fast. There was no imagination, suspense or any other pacing for that matter. Other than two really small surprises, it was completely predictable and therefore, not exciting, which a movie like that is supposed to be. The special effects were just OK, not even as good as the other Alien, Predator movies. The acting was OK, but the dialogue was so bad the actors really didn't have much to work with. But, all 9 men liked it. But, the thing is, even though I'm female, I tend to love guy movies a lot more than chick movies. And like I said, I like the genre. I reviewed the movie with GForce & some of the other guys, and I still don't understand why they thought it was a good movie. Anybody else see this movie? What did you think of it? If you liked it, why?

19. JediBith

JediBith Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    Well, as most of you know, we rarely go out to the movies, preferring to rent 'em! Because of that I like to refer to my reviews as "day late and dollar short" LOL...

Anyway, we finally rented the Grindhouse flicks (Rodriguez and Tarantino double feature). We LOVED Planet Terror -- had just the right mix of gross-out, terror, comedy and heart. And I've long loved Rose McGowan, so it was a treat to see her. It's always fun to check out Rodriguez's 10-minute Film School/Cooking School featurettes too! I liked how he listed himself in the credits as his own "personal chef!"

And we HATED HATED HATED Death Proof. It was so icky I wanted a shower afterward. It was disturbing, completely OFF in reading how women talk (B said all the girls sounded like Tarantino :rolleyes:), and it just dragged on FOREVER, with a really weak and totally predictable payoff, which didn't redeem a darn thing.

I'm glad these can be rented/purchased separately!

20. AniPadmeLurker

Nov 30, 2004
    Saw Sweeny Todd. A bloody good time.

21. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    I want to see that JB and APL. I will probably rent them both. I rented Day Watch which is a sequel to Night Watch. It's about good vs evil and is a Russian movie so you have to read subtitles. I liked Night Watch when I saw it, but Day Watch was awful. It even ended up cancelling out the other movie so really nothing ever happened.

I still haven't seen I am Legend, The Golden Compass or Enchanted all movies I hoped to see during my time off.

22. AniPadmeLurker

Nov 30, 2004
    If you see I Am Legend in IMAX you can also see the 6 minute prologue to the new Batman film that someone we know helped cut. [face_whistling]

23. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    Thanks for the heads up there APL.

24. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    SR, I want to see those 3 movies, too! Oh heck, I'd love to see any movie at the theater! Last one I saw was 3:10 to Yuma. Boy, do I need to get out more!! I'm hoping to catch a few before I head back to work.

25. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    JF, I've read "No Talking" and enjoyed it also. I think the only ones I haven't read are "Room One" and "The Jacket". I really liked the "School Story" too. "Frindle" is the best of the bunch though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.