So NM Bubonicon 37

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Jaina Byrd, Jun 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
  1. Jaina Byrd Force Ghost

star 4
    August 26-28 is Albuquerque's Bubonicon 37. It was named this because the Bubonic Plague (which killed half of Europe's population in the middle ages) still exists on the sunny shores of the Rio Grande in small animals. I personally have never been to a Sci-Fi/Fantasy Con, but I have heard highlights from Mos Alba people, and it sounds like enough fun.

Although I'm not sure we're ready to run a booth, I think it would be fun to spend a day up there, perhaps Saturday, August 27th, to see what it's like, and perhaps follow in Mos Alba's footsteps, learning how to run a booth and the like. (Wow, was that a run-on sentence.)

The best part, to me at least, is that Star Wars: New Jedi Order author Walter Jon Williams will be in attendance. He lives in Belen and appears to do these kinds of things regularly.

So, what does everyone think? I would love to get a group of us up there, we could look around, hang out with the MAFFers, eat at a cool Albuquerque restaurant while up there... enjoy ourselves! An ORFF outing. :D We can also discuss this at our July meeting, which I'll get the thread up for soon.

PS: ORFF? Our mascot ought to be a seal or sea lion. :p
  2. mandy_djo Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm totally up for it! I like the sea lion idea....Oorf Oorf Oorf!
  3. NM_Mandalorian Jedi Knight

star 3
    I will have to wait and see if I can get out there. I will try and get out of work that weekend but I wont know for sure until probably the end of July.
  4. Jaina Byrd Force Ghost

star 4
    That will be NMSU students' first weekend after school starts.
  5. BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler

star 5
    We'd love to have you guys come up!

I will warn you, however, that it is not THE most exciting thing ever. I mean, if you are really into art and literature and ... art, then it might be fun. We had fun just hanging out and goofing off. We showed off fan films and plan to do so again. Does it really justify us getting a table in the dealer room? Not really, but we do it for getting our club out there in the people's view.

But we have a few things cooking that should make it more enjoyable this time around!
  6. Jedi_Master_Xiania Jedi Master

star 1
    ORFF ORFF! *Claps fins together and begs for fish*[face_laugh] I'm crazy I know. Anyway, I've never heard of a Bubonicon 37, is that similiar to a celebration? Yes, I know I am terribly ignorant so you'll have to forgive me.:oops:
  7. BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler

star 5
    It is a Sci-Fi/Lit Convention. Bubonic - for the bubonic plague, and con - for convention...

Check out the link in Jaina's first post...
  8. BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler

star 5
    Hey guys, I created a new thread about Bubonicon up in the Mos Alba forum. Click here to take a look see...

Hope some of you will try to make it up!
  9. Gecko_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    We are going to try and get a couple of adjoining rooms so that if you need to take a moment to sit down and have a cold drink....that is where the FF people can go! This will be fun for sure!
  10. SWJaggy Jedi Master

star 4
    I'd love to go as I have never been to a sci-fi convention but I doubt my parents would want to drive all the way.

For those who do go, let us [who aren't going], know how it is.
  11. Jaina Byrd Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, we'd only be there for Saturday and *maybe* Sunday. Jaggy, if your parents wouldn't mind driving you to Las Cruces, we could take you the rest of the way up with us to Albuquerque. :D
  12. Red_8 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I dont know if I should go. It seems so far away.I dont think my parents could take that far.
  13. SWJaggy Jedi Master

star 4
    That might be an idea. But still need to consider something; I'm only 16 so my parents might not agree to it.
  14. ObeyTheFist Jedi Master

star 4
    SWJaggy - have your parents meet Jaina and some of the other members. Have them over or go out to eat maybe?

When one of our members was 16, thats what we did and her parents allowed her to go to more events - even when we went down to Cloudcroft one time.
  15. SWJaggy Jedi Master

star 4
  16. Qui-Gon-Matt Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah you guys have to come. There is a bunch of us up here so it should be pretty crazy!
  17. Gecko_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
  18. Jaina Byrd Force Ghost

star 4
    Ah, the month is now upon us! So, who all is thinking of going?
  19. NM_Mandalorian Jedi Knight

star 3
    I wont be able to make that trip. Work has me scheduled on the 26th and the 27th.
  20. BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler

star 5
    Hey guys! FYI, things are still looking good for Bubonicon in a few weeks. I'm working hard on getting everything ready, but even if the con itself is a bit underwhelming, at least it'll be fun to hang out for the weekend. Hope some of you are still planning on possibly coming up!
  21. Lord_Melkor Jedi Knight

star 3
    sounds like fun...especially the drinking
  22. Commander_Clem Jedi Master

star 4
    Dude, I've never been on this site.....
  23. BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler

star 5
    But don't think that Mos Alba is a bunch of booze hounds. We *are* planning on stuff other than drinking, but we'll have refreshments for friends. Speaking of which, I gots to speak to da guys about munchies...
  24. BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler

star 5
    Just a reminder, if you've got nothing else to do on Saturday...

Bubonicon is this weekend. We're gonna be all dolled up in plastic and cloth, and plan on having just a plain good time. We'd love to see you guys if you're able to come on up!
  25. Jaina Byrd Force Ghost

star 4
    *sigh* Unfortunately, there hasn't been too much interest by my fellow ORFFers. I don't think any of us will be making it up there. :(
Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.