main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Abq Bubonicon Discussion

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by BrotherHalo, Jan 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TK-1276

TK-1276 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 22, 2004
    Bob, I am really looking forward to meeting you and the rest of the Mos Alba gang! Too bad I wasn't already there for the Cloudcroft trip. It seems like it's going to be a lot of fun and Cloudcroft is a beautiful little mountain town (with some cool fossils!). :D

2. BrotherHalo

BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 12, 2003
    Yeah, Cloudcroft is full of interesting geology. I love driving Hwy 82 and looking at all the exposed mountainside.

I, too, am gonna miss out on some fun this weekend with the rest of "da gang" and hope to NOT miss the next get-together.

And we all look forward to meeting to you. I also, soon hope to get fast-tracking on my armor to get in the 501st. We'll have a NM garrison soon enough!

3. TK-1276

Mar 22, 2004
    Our own NM Garrison would be SWEET![face_dancing]

4. TK-1276

Mar 22, 2004
    BTW, I didn't see this on the Bubonicon site, but what are the hours for Bubonicon? Start time, end time?

5. varza

varza Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2002
    dang, um. sheesh they had them up before

I think 3 to 10 on friday, 10 to 8 on sat and 8 to something sunday. I have it at home. I will post exacts later on.

BTW, there is a program and it costs for an ad, but what do you guys think about getting one? Its 25 bucks for a half of page.

6. Lorithavon

Lorithavon Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2003
    is the program free to who ever pays to get in to the door? and can we submit our own art? or do they have a guy typing it up? how may colors and how is it going to be printed?

-lor

7. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    Hey Lor, this is from the con site:

This year?s book features cover art by David Mattingly and hopefully a Perry Rodent-themed short story from one of our attending authors. Plus spot illos from various Bubonicon authors. If possible, we should also have some memories from Bubonicon?s three dozen years... Speaking of which, we are looking for filler and interior cover artwork, plus short Perry stories, Rat articles and Bubonicon tales.

Approximately 440 copies of the program book will be produced, black ink only. Layout and all graphics are done using MS Publisher and a HP Laserjet printer. Advertising space is available to let our attendees know about your product, club or service. We prefer camera-ready art for advertisements, photocopies of any illustrations, and MS Word files for stories/articles.
    Full-Page Ad is $38.00 with an image area of 6 1/4" wide x 7 1/2" tall,
    Half-Page Ad is $25.00 with an image area of 6 1/4" wide x 3 3/4" tall.
    Deadline for All Materials is Thursday, July 29, 2004.

Payment to ?NMSF Conference? should accompany all advertisements. Fannish discounts available - please write to see if you?re qualified. Send your submissions to:
    Bubonicon 36 Book
    PO Box 37257
    Albuquerque, NM 87176

8. TK-1276

Mar 22, 2004
    Thanks for the info on the Bubonicon times, Varza!

9. Wook

Wook Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    I guess I'd better get used to the drive...3.5 hours...d'oh!

Naah...only 3 hours if you push it to 80 mph and don't stop at the Owl Cafe for a green chile cheeseburger..;) Still a pretty punishing drive though

As far as the ad...are we handing out flyers as well? That might work just as well as an ad?

10. varza

Nov 7, 2002
    I think it would probably be better to spend the money on doing some sweet fliers instead as well.

Maybe we can do something special? I don;t knw guess it depends on timing and all.

11. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    Well, we could make specific fliers for Bubonicon. Or we could just have Lor redo our current fliers. I have a couple o' ideas that I'll ask Lor about.

But seeing how everyone should be cruising the dealer room, then the fliers will get picked up by those interested. And we can have a good quantity done up at Kinko's or something for a low price, I'm sure...

12. Lorithavon

Lorithavon Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2003
    Sure I'll redo the fliers, or do a special bubonicon, flier just shoot me your ideas... and I'll get on it as soon as I can.

and oh, ya... The program they are going to put out is poodoo, no one in their right mind would use MS publisher to do any thing... and printing on a HP laserjet... I can do that at home. So that isn't a big deal either. They don't tell me about any thing I want to know like LPI, but since they are doing it in MS publisher, I don't think you can set the lpi, and I'm pretty sure that a HP laserjet isn't post script any way... Ok, I'm done complaining... maybe....

-lor

13. varza

Nov 7, 2002
    sounds like another thing to talk about over the next few weekends.

14. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    Anyone interested in working the table at Bubonicon needs to let me know. I would also like to know what times you would like to work. I am putting together a schedule...

Thanks!
    BH

15. bobasparxx

bobasparxx Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 9, 2003
    I'm sorry to ask a dumb ?, but can you guys fill me in on the show (date-time). Ive been in limbo for a while.

16. abqscout

abqscout Jedi Youngling

May 2, 2004
    I have been in contact with Charles and Tawni Orndorf. They won't be able to attend. They will be vacationing in Cancún. Also, Steve Sutherland will be showing up and I have requested that he bring his armor.

With the Star Wars and Star Trek groups there, Bubonicon won't know what hit them. [face_devil] :D

17. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    Hey bobasparxx!

Bubonicon is the weekend August 27-29th running from ... oh nuts. Don't know exact times. Varza has that, and she's outta town. You can check Bubonicon.com for more details, including price of admission and all the nitty gritty details...

18. bobasparxx

bobasparxx Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Right on...

19. TK-1276

Mar 22, 2004
    BrotherHalo,

I'd like to work the table...or at least pull guard duty at the table (I'll be in my stormtrooper armor). I can be at Bubonicon on Saturday from, say, 11am to 3pm. I might be there a bit earlier and stay a bit later...all depends on how tired I am since I have to drive back to Las Cruces later in the day. Being a native of SoCal, I still have to get used to the concept of driving more than 30 mins. to anywhere (unless there's traffic!). Haha. :D

20. Wook

Wook Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    I'll be there on & off thru the weekend..probably won't be there Sat night (my 11yr anniversary and all ;))

21. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    That's your excuse? Your anniversary? Julie's and mine is this Sunday (6 years), but I'll be at the meeting! THAT'S COMMITMENT!!! (Going to the meeting I mean!)

Just kidding, of course! Early Congrats, M!

22. Arian

Arian Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 21, 2004
    Hi guys!
    Are there any cool events going on at Bubonicon?
    -Arian

23. abqscout

abqscout Jedi Youngling

May 2, 2004
    The coolest event that I know of durring Bubonicon is the Anasazi's aniversary celabrations. All Mos Alba and related groups (501st, Rebel Legion, etc.) members are invited to join us.

Earl
    Captain, Starfleet International
    TB 8468

24. varza

Nov 7, 2002
    we are trying to get a room for a few hours while we are there that is a recruiting area/star wars party.

I don't think there is much beyond that. I heard of a costume contest that Saturday evening at a party I guess they have or something. I am sure someone here can take that prize easily!

If anyone will be volunteering the cost for the table worker ticket is 23 bucks-same as a ticket into the convention.

25. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    There is a media room at Bubonicon. We can reserve some time in the media room to host a panel, show movies, etc.

After talking with Varza, we thought it would be cool to show off some Star Wars Fan Films! They will have a TV (they are trying to get a big screen) and a VCR and DVD player. They'll try to have a projector on hand if we need it.

Now the question is, who wants to help out with it? And what time do we want to do it? Here's the email I received from Lori, one of the people in charge of the Media Room:

Would you prefer Friday evening, Saturday afternoon/evening or Sunday morning? About 5/6 on Saturday we will be having a All Club Party, to which everyone is welcome to present and promote their club and have cake. Otherwise, time is fairly flexible till 10 p.m. We have be out of the room by 3 on Sunday, so I'm thinking we should shut down by at least 2 p.m. for clean up. 1:30 would be better.

Let me know what you guys want.
    Lori

I need to move on this pretty soon. They are finalizing the program schedule this weekend. Please give me some input or I will just end up choosing the time on my own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.