main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Budget detail

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by The2ndQuest , Oct 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The latest EW has a bit on the two Tv shows, wher Mccalum mentions they'll be aiming for a budget of 1.8 million an episode - about the cost of the average first run drama. Goes on to say LFL may follow the model of the films and pay for all the production costs and then justs ell them to a studio- that way if no studio buys it, they can always just put them out straight to DVD.

2. TheWookiee

TheWookiee Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 8, 2005
    Cool. That's how they did Young Indy, I believe. Threy shot them all, then when the show was cancelled, they still had a few remaining shows, so they released them somewhere else, on another network.

3. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    Sounds interesting, $1.8 doesn't sound too bad and hopefully a studio picks them up so that we can watch them on TV before DVD.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, I wouldn't be opposed to getting the DVD's first, but getting it on the air would ensure the series continuation more.

5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Disucss the topic not the users who post here.

6. JediKink

JediKink Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2005
    That is very true. I would love to have the DVDs first, and if the show wasn't that successful, they'd be all the cheaper.[face_dancing]

This certainly does bode well for those of us who believe in the shot-all-together theory. I also think that it ensures a full 20 episode season. That is great.

The 1.8 million an episode is great for a drama like CSI, SVU, CI, and others of that nature. What I want to know is how much BSG spent an episode. 1.8 mil might not be that much when CG and other SFX are thrown in the mix.

Anybody have figures on BSG?

7. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    I certainly would not be opposed to that either however I would prefer that they appear on TV as well.

8. The2ndRest-in-Peace

The2ndRest-in-Peace Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 27, 2002
    >>What I want to know is how much BSG spent an episode. 1.8 mil might not be that much when CG and other SFX are thrown in the mix.<<

BSG is around that ballaprk of 1.8-2-ish.

9. the-shrude-dude

the-shrude-dude Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2005
    1.8 is enough. How much do you think ROTS cost? Dont believe too much hype - i work in this industry and i KNOW how guilty we are of saying "yeah, it cost 100million yeah baby".

10. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    Does anybody know how much Farscape and Firefly cost per episode?

11. The2ndRest-in-Peace

The2ndRest-in-Peace Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 27, 2002
    Farscape averaged 1.5 million.

SG-1 and BSG cost just a little bit more usually, but their filmed in Vancouver I believe, whereas Farscape was filmed in Austraila which I believe is cheaper to film in than Canada (which in turn is cheaper than LA).

12. Darthsuggs

Jul 28, 2003
    I know part of the reason Skiffy yankesd Scape was because of the budget so that was why I was wondering.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well it was a combination of the budget (which could exceed the average episode cost for bigger episodes and go up to around 2 million) and the fact that Farscape's ratings weren't growing larger, as opposed to the bigger numbers newly-acquired SG-1 was pulling in for about the same cost.

It was also around that time that the idiot's at Sci-fi were "moving away from space shows", giving us such classic entertainment as "Tremors: The Series". :rolleyes:

14. Darthsuggs

Jul 28, 2003
    Frgot about that pathetic attempt at entertainment that was Tremors the Series. Frelling idiots at Skiffy. I fdor the record doslike SG1 as well even with Browder and black on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.