main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Buffy: Chaos Bleeds

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by JONJEDI, Jul 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Season 3, 4, and 5 are the best.

It's a shame so many people think 4 is the worst.

Although I loved the last 2 seasons, 5's ending was teh perfect way to end the series.

2. JONJEDI

JONJEDI Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 11, 2002
    And how can anyone say that season 5 was the best? Hello?! It takes 22 episodes to fight a GOD? I don't think so. Well how long do's it take to kill a mayor, yeah he was invincible, but they could of chopped his head off and locked it up in a box and dump it in the ocean or something. Or just kill him before he became invincible.... wait Glory was harder than the mayor, Buffy could hardly bruise her fist with her face and Glory invincible too, the only way to kill her was to kill Ben but she didn't know Ben was Glory.

3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Anytime you want to get back to discussing the game.

:p

4. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Actually, Joss defends the movie to this day.

He didn't want to forget about it. In interviews, he sticks by it as the campy fun that it is.

His dissapointment was that it was toned down. Meaning, Merrick was supposed to die by suicide and the gym was going to be burned down.

The movie kicks ass. It's a cult classic.

Back to the show, I love season 4 too. Mainly because Spike started growing. Season 5 was cool too, with the exception as Dawn, which I like to call the dumbest plot device/character introduction EVER.

6 was great because it was hilarious and lots of good action and with Spike and Willow and Anya.

Season 7, it was awful with the exception of a few episodes. That's the season was filled with such pretenciousness(sp?) and it destroyed quite a few of the characters and it was just a jumbled mess. And it lost what made Buffy... Buffy. Which was always a blend between camp, humor, dramatic, dark yet still taking itself seriously in the world that was established.

Season 7 had a stick up it's self-important arse in my opinion.

And again, the supporting cast was reduced to cameos.

Sometimes I'd watch an episode and Xander would walk by and I'd be like: "Hey, Xander! I forgot you were still part of the show."

Only cool thing about season 7 = Caleb

He kicked ass.

5. JONJEDI

JONJEDI Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 11, 2002
    Season 7 started getting better towards the end of the season, most of the time they where just saying in every episode something big is coming, something big is coming, something big is coming and I was like when is this big thing going to come.

6. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    the only way to kill her was to kill Ben but she didn't know Ben was Glory

And suddenly everyone became dumb when Spike noticed the change and tried to tell them about it but they just didn't understand.

"Ben is Glory."
    "Ben and Glory are the same? Huh, what are you saying?"

Geez, how stupid can they get. Everything they've seen and they can't understand something that simple.

most of the time they where just saying in every episode something big is coming, something big is coming, something big is coming and I was like when is this big thing going to come.

Hmm, sounds a lot like Season 5. Running around, trying to keep away from Glory, not knowing what she is. Find out, what, about halfway through the season, maybe less, that she's a God. Hmm, big God thing's coming to get us. Glory managed to find them, what, 3 times? What kind of God is that?

That's the season was filled with such pretenciousness(sp?) and it destroyed quite a few of the characters and it was just a jumbled mess.

And how did you expect them to come back from a near rape? Was everything suppose to be all hunky dory after that? Heck, I think giving Spike his soul back was lame, but that's just me. Especially since he doesn't seem to feel any guilt about the people he killed in his past and he sure didn't seem to have any issues with having to do it again.

7. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    I agree that giving Spike his soul was a bad idea. Spike was way better in season 4-5.

Again I say it should have ended at season 5.

8. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    The near rape is no excuse. First of all, that was Buffy and it seemed to me she got over it good.

Second, not talking about that. It's that all the secondary characters seemed to get shafted big time during season 7.

As for season 5, yes, you can say the same thing as well. But season 5 had a good balance between the fun episodes and the heavy plot related episodes. And with out the pretense or BS of season 7.

And in my opinion, Spike getting his soul back was cool. He's still Spike. Same one as before, except he regained his humanity. To me that showed me two things. One, that a vampire could be good if he really wants to, because even before he had the soul, Spike was obtaining a concious and reforming himself. And this leads to the second thing, Spike didn't need the chip in the end. He had the chip and that helped him, but it got to a point where he didn't need the chip. All the chip did was now allow him to hurt people. It did not control his concious or the human side of him that would come out now and then. He made the choice to regain his soul to give Buffy what she deserves in life. And he got his soul back, which he deserved himself. Although, in my view, he already had one.

And why should Spike feel guily about the past? It wasn't him. It was the demon inside of him.

I'm sorry. But if something possesed me and started causing mayhem, I would not take any fault or responsibility. I'd feel bad that my face would be associated with the crimes, cause it's my face, but I would not feel guilty over something I did not do.

Spike ain't Angel, who was always brooding and whining. And I'm glad.

As you can tell, I'm a huge Spike fan :p

That is why i can't wait for this game. I'll get to play as Spike and kick a lil ass!

:D

9. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    All the chip did was now allow him to hurt people. It did not control his concious or the human side of him that would come out now and then.

Uh yeah, sure. Sure it didn't control his conscience, but if he had never gotten it, do we really think he wouldn't have stayed evil? Before, he was a boring poet that everyone thought was a geek. Then, he's this violent killer that's going after every slayer he can. Now, he's kind of a combination, but not really much of a geek. Do you really think that would've happened without the chip? Heck, when the chip broke, he had no problems fighting with Buffy at that point. Sure they did a the nasty at the end, but he still had no problems trying to beat the crap out of her before that.

He made the choice to regain his soul to give Buffy what she deserves in life.

Ok, that's crap. He wanted the chip gone PERIOD. He told the demon "Make me like I was." Of course, the demon took this to me, before I was a vampire, not get rid of the chip. We all know Spike wanted the chip removed so he could go back and kill Buffy proper (just watch the end when he rides off on his bike all huffy and puffy saying he'll be back to finish her off). Getting his soul back was not part of the plan. Sure, getting it back was kinda neat, but he didn't really want that.

And to say that it wasn't really him doing the killing is to bastardize what's been said. The fact is, the demon is still inside him (he's not human, he's a vampire with a soul). The demon can probably be brought out with the right spell (and it was in Season 7). So yes, he has a soul now, but that doesn't mean the soul can't be removed or that he couldn't just decide to be evil and give in to the demon within.

As you can maybe tell, I'm not a big fan of Spike and from what I've read of Angel's next season, I'm not impressed. Don't get me wrong though, I like Spike. He kicks @$$ really well and I like seeing him in a fight. I kinda miss the old Spike though.

I plan to pick this game up because I love Buffy and this one's coming out for PS2 as well. I didn't get the first one because it was X-Box only and I have no plans to pickup an X-Box either now or in the future.

10. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    I disagree completely with everything you just said.

I stick by my guns.

And at the end of season 6, when he rode off, he never said he was going to finish her off. He went to get his soul back. It was worded very carefully, as to leave the viewers in suspense.

But he knew what he was doing and what he was going to regain.

But that's how I see it.

We agree to disagree.

11. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    I hope I'm not overstepping the mark, jp, but do you guys know that we have good threads in the JCC for discussing Buffy and Angel? Its just that this is the games forum and all....

But while I'm here, I'll weigh in on a few points that have been made (I cant resist Buffy discussion ;) )

Kirsty Swanson is the be all and end all of Buffy. SMG is great, and a hottie, dont get me wrong. But Kirsty? She blows most women out of the water.

And suddenly everyone became dumb when Spike noticed the change and tried to tell them about it but they just didn't understand.

"Ben is Glory."
    "Ben and Glory are the same? Huh, what are you saying?"

Geez, how stupid can they get. Everything they've seen and they can't understand something that simple.

Sorta cause they were under her spell, so they simply had no idea?

Getting his soul back was not part of the plan. Sure, getting it back was kinda neat, but he didn't really want that.

Yeah, like son_of_the_tear said, it was worded extremely carefully so as to not tell you exactly what he was looking for. But what he said in Season 7 was that he wanted the soul back.

but that doesn't mean the soul can't be removed or that he couldn't just decide to be evil and give in to the demon within.

There really isnt anything said about the nature of the soul. We know Angel has one as a curse, and it can be removed by that moment of pure happiness. With Spike, there didnt seem to be any conditions. But I dont see why having a soul means you have to be good. Good or evil is a choice that can be made. Spike wanted to be good for Buffy. He could just as easily want to be evil.

12. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    The Buffy review is up at Gamespot.

It got labeled as "great" with a score of 8.2

They say the battle engine is not only the same, but it has been improved upon by adding more moves and that combat flows better and is much tighter and comfortable.

The graphics for the Xbox version are of the same quality as the original game. So we can expect great visuals. They did add that the only true graphical improvement came of the way of the enemies, who look and move much better.

So in all, they say it is a better game than the original.

The Xbox and GC version are almost identical in graphics, the only difference that the GC version is slightly darker.

As for the PS2 version, they say that it has framerate problems, some small bugs and the visuals are not up to par with the others (one problem of note is jaggies).

I'm picking this up along with Soul Caliber 2 for Xbox this week.

I'm hyped!

:D

13. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    I have just one final comment to make on the whole Glory is Ben discussion.

Sorta cause they were under her spell, so they simply had no idea?

Yes, they were under a spell. My problem is that they practically refused to even listen to him. They didn't even give him a chance to try to explain it. They simply brushed him off as if he was nuts. Hmm, yeah, that's odd, a god thing being two different people. Welcome to Sunnydale, this happens everyday. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.