Amph Buffy The Vampire Slayer & Angel book/comic book discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by darth-sinister, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 10
    This here is to discuss the entire Buffy and Angel franchise. All the novels printed in both series, as well as IDW's current Angel series and the old & new Dark Horse novels. A list of the novels, at least, for those who don't know about them.

Buffy: The Adaptations

-The Movie Novelization
    -The Harvest novelization
    -The Angel Chronicles volumes 1-3
    -The Xander Years volumes 1-3
    -The Willow Files volumes 1-3
    -The Journals Of Rupert Giles volume 1
    -The Faith Trials volume 1
    -The Cordellia Collection volume 1
    -Chosen novelization of the entire seventh season

Before the birth of Buffy Summers

-Buffy: Tales Of The Slayer volumes 1-4
    -Spike & Dru: Pretty Maids All In A Row (1941)

Buffy: Season 1

-Halloween Rain (After "Witch")
    -Night Of The Living Rerun (Before "Never Kill A Boy On The First Date")

Buffy: Season 2

-How I Survived My Summer Vacation (After "Prophecy Girl")
    -Coyote Moon (After "When She Was Bad")
    -The Suicide King (Stake Your Destiny) (Before "Halloween")
    -Bad Bargin (After "Lie To Me")
    -Night Terrors (Stake Your Destiny) (After "Ted")
    -After Image (After "Ted")
    -Carnival Of Souls (After "Ted")
    -Keep Me In Mind (Stake Your Destiny) (After "Bad Eggs")
    -Portal Through Time (After "Bad Eggs")
    -Colony (Stake Your Destiny) (Before "Surprise")
    -One Thing Or Your Mother (Before "Becoming")
    -Go Ask Malice: A Slayer's Diary (during the second half of season two)

Buffy: Season 3

Before "Lover's Walk"

-Return To Chaos
    -Child Of The Hunt
    -Out Of The Madhouse (Gatekeeper Trilogy 1)
    -Ghost Roads (Gatekeeper Trilogy 2)
    -Sons Of Entropy (Gatekeeper Trilogy 3)
    -Unnatural Selection
    -Power Of Persuasion

After "The Zeppo"

-Deep Water
    -The Book Of Fours
    -Ghoul Trouble
    -Doomsday Deck
    -Obsidan Fate
    -Here Be Monsters
    -The Evil That Men Do
    -Sins Of The Father
    -Resurrecting Ravena
    -Prime Evil
    -The Deathless

Buffy: Season 4

Before "Pangs" but after "Hero"

-The Lost Slayer Omnibus

During season four

-Oz: Into The Wild

Buffy: Season 5

After "Crush"[/b[

-The Wisdom Of War

After "Forever"

-Tempted Champions
    -Sweet Sixteen
    -These Our Actors
    -Little Things
    -Chaos Bleeds

Buffy: Season 6

After "Gone"

Before "As You Were"

-Blood & Fog

Alternate universe versions of "Villians", "Two To Go" & "Grave"

-The Darkening (Wicked Willow I)
    -Shattered Twilight (Wicked Willow II)
    -Broken Sunrise (Wicked Willow III)

Buffy: Season 7

During "Lessons"

-Spark & Burn

After "Same Time, Same Place"

-Apocalypse Memories

Before "Conversations With Dead People"

-Mortal Fear

After "Chosen" and during Angel season five

-Queen Of The Slayers
    -Dark Congress

Angel: Adaptation

-City Of (novelization)

Angel: Season 1

Before "The Bachlor Party", "Pangs", "I Will Always Remember You" & "Hero"

-Not Forgotten
    -Closer To The Ground
    -Hollywood Noir
    -The Summoned
    -Soul Trade

Angel: Season 2

After "Disharmony"

-Stranger To The Sun

Angel: Season 3

After "Barginning" & before "That Old Gang Of Mine"

-Endangered Species

After "Fredless"

-The Longest Night

Before "Waiting In The Wings"

Angel: Season 4

Before "Apocalypse, Nowish"

-Solitary Man
    -Dark Mirror
    -Book Of The Dead
    -Love And Death

Between "Restless & "To Sanshu In L.A." and "Buffy vs. Dracula" & "Judgment"

-The Burning (The Unseen Trilogy I)
    -Door To Alternity (The Unseen Trilogy II)
    -Long Way Home (The Unseen Trilogy III)

Buffy Season 6/Angel Season 3

Before "Once More With Feeling" & After "Fredless" & T
  2. PrincessKenobi New Films Manager of DOOM

star 7
    Is Monster Island worth the read? I keep thinking of picking it up, but I've been iffy about it.

3. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    The old Buffy/Angel comics weren't all that interesting, but IDW's run of Angel comics post-Season 5 and the forthcoming Buffy comics post-Season 7, written by Joss Whedon, sure are.
  4. Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master

star 6
    Post-season 7 Buffy comics? When are those coming out?
  5. PrincessKenobi New Films Manager of DOOM

star 7

I belive I read later this year.

6. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 10
    I've read Monster Island and I'd recommend it. It's a good follow up to Doyle's story and ties into the Buffy era well. Aside from a few continuity date glitches. For Buffy, it's just before "Once More With Feeling". For Angel, this takes place after the novel "The Longest Night". Two characters from previous Angel novels appear.

The Dark Horse series is set to start later in the year, if all goes well. The story picks up sometime after "Chosen" and finds Buffy with the Immortal. The early Dark Horse stuff was bad, but once Mutant Enemy got involved more, it became a hellva lot better. "The Origin" leads into "Sins Of The Father", both by Christopher Golden. "Chaos Bleeds" is the adaptation of the second Buffy video game for XBox and PS2. The Wicked Willow books are an alternate reality look at the sixth season finale, if Willow had done things differently. "Fray" is the official final chapter off Buffy's era and the start of Fray's. According to David Fury, Buffy is the last Slayer until Fray is called. The Angel comics by IDW are by Jeff Mariotte who wrote a lot of good Angel novels, so they got the goods with him.
  7. RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I actually have never read any of the Buffy books... I didn't realize there was so many. [face_thinking] Any suggestions on a good place to start?
  8. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 10
    Start with the season one list. Though some of these can probably be obtained at your local library, if they're not in print. Blooded, Child Of The Hunt, The Gatekeeper Trilogy, Immortal, The Book Of Fours, The Lost Slayer, Cursed and Queen Of The Slayers are all connected by certain plot threads. I'll go back in my earlier post and identify which book comes when.
  9. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 10
    Self bumping. :p

Anyone have questions about any of the books?
  10. PrincessKenobi New Films Manager of DOOM

star 7
    Would the Roleplaying books be able to be disucssed here as well?

Because there is alot of good cannon and discussion in those books. From orgins of Monsters to a bit more Charecter background.

11. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 10
    Sure. :) I haven't read them, but if they have good stuff in them, why not. :)
  12. PrincessKenobi New Films Manager of DOOM

star 7
    I was reading thru some of my old Buffy comics today, kind of wish I hadn't gotten into that series so late.

13. darth-ermac Jedi Master

star 1
    Yeah, same with me and getting into the series and then their expanded universe. I'll be reading "Colony" soon and I'll let people know what I think of it. If anyone is curious, I can give you a bit of a fan critique (sp).
  14. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 10
    From Newsarama, two new Spike stories.
  15. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 10
    I'll be reviewing each Buffy and Angel novel that I have read. Hopefully this will prove helpful.

"Halloween Rain" is by Christopher Golden and Nancy Holder. Golden is best known for his work in both the comics and novels field. He has worked with Batman, Wolverine, The Jenna Blake series and Ghosts Of Albion with Amber Benson. Holder has done a number of novels throughout her career, but her most frequent is with Buffy. This is the first in several collaborations together and their first forray into Whedon's universe.

The story takes place during season one, as Giles asks Buffy to go on patrol on Halloween. Now, it's established in the series that the demons and vampires are all inactive on Halloween. Thus it's the only night the Slayer can relax. The book was printed before season two began. But if you look for a minor retcon, think of it as Giles taking extra care because of the Hellmouth. Anyway, Buffy thinks that it won't be bad. Just routine patrol. That is until the rain begins to fall and the demon Shamain awakens. He wants to destroy Buffy and will unleash an army of the living dead to get this done. It's up to Giles, Willow and Xander to aid Buffy. There's almost no Cordelia and absolutely no Angel in this story. Golden and Holder prove to be quite adept at writing the characters and doing a decent job of emmulating Whedon. They're not as good as he and the regular writers, but they're not horrible either. The story is quick and simple, flows pretty well, and entertains. I recommend this to fans and is a good place to get started. You might have trouble finding this in bookstores. Not sure if these early books were reprinted like the others.

"How I Survived My Summer Vacation" by Nancy Holder, Diana Gallergher and Yvonne Navarro, among others. Though billed as the real story, it's not quite official. But it's a good approximation. The book is essentially several short stories, but the main story arc is the time lost between season one and two.

The story begins with Buffy getting ready to go to LA, but finds that there is a price to be had for surviving. She is plauged by visions of death, whenever she touches anyone. She sees Joyce and Giles dead, even sees when Angel was sired by Darla. Buffy must figure out how to deal with this or else go mad. Then we see Absolom leading the vampires in Sunnydale on a hunt for the bones of the Master, so that they can resurrect him. Angel must help the Scooby gang figure out what to do with the remains. We learn why they didn't just grind his bones into powder to begin with. And of course, when he was invited into Giles' apartment. Next is a story where the Annointed One and Absolom hire a demon to cause friction amongest the Scooby gang. Back in LA, Buffy crosses path with a woman who needs her help to fend of a supernatural entity. This ordeal is especially trying for Buffy, as it reminds her of her cousin Cecila (sp), who died when Buffy was young. Over the 4th Of July weekend, trouble starts as the bodies of many veterns are resurrected as zombines, intent on taking over the town. Angel, Giles and Jenny must team up to stop them. Finally, Giles and Jenny discover several bodies of people who were murdered by vampires. Worse, they soon learn that these vampires are performing an evening of Shakespeare, with Willow and Xander as crew members. Angel must help them stop the vampires, without disturbing Xander and Willow's vacation from the undead.

Each story can be read by itself, but can be read together and flows quiet well. There is almost no difference between each writer, which helps a lot. Again, it's not 100% canon, but it's good enough.
  16. Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    I read Spike vs. Dracula #1 earlier today. I think Peter David did a great job in capturing the charismatic nature of Dracula as he was seen in the episode "Buffy vs. Dracula". It's kind of funny to see Spike hate him so much, seeing as how Spike will later exhibit some of Drac's more positive qualities (Drac is shown here as a strong protector of a band of gypsies, which reminds me of the way Spike became a protector of the Summers women).

The art was sort of hit and miss, though. Ironically, the character with the least amount of screentime on the shows, Dracula, gets the best likeness. Meanwhile, Darla never once looks like Julie Benz and Drusilla looks like a different person in each page.

In any case, the story comes first and I enjoyed that. I'm looking forward to reading issue #2... if I can find it.
  17. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 10
    Nice to see this bumped up. Barring any delays from IDW, it should've been published on schedule. Might have to use online resources to find it.

Upcoming novels will be added to the top, but I'll list them here.

-Go Ask Malice
  18. weezer Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    IDW's Angel has been great. One of the only comic subscriptions I've ever gotten.
  19. Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    I passed on getting the Angel comics when they were first released because of the price ($3.99 was just too much when I had so many other comics to get) and because I was hesitant to check out anything post-"Not Fade Away" (I wanted to imagine what happened to the gang on my own). Still, if the comics truly are that good, I might have to check the TPBs out.
  20. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 10
    The IDW series is a good idea at what could've happened. It's the new Buffy monthly series that will give us a bit more of an official line.
  21. Excellence Jedi Knight

star 7

That's a lot of merchandise!
  22. Star_Angel Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Well, I've only read "Queen of the Slayers" so far but I'm planing on reading the other once as soon as I have time.

It's an amazing book and I really recomend it, being a huge Buffy/Angel fan myself, I found it very interesting to find out what happen after the last BtVS episode.
  23. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I had no idea this wonderful list was here. Popped it on favorites so I can find it easily and now can reserve the books in order from the library.

Thanks Sinister. [:D]
  24. Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    I picked up Angel Spotlight: Illyria the other day. A very good standalone story by Peter David. The ending is quite powerful. My only gripe is that the artist's rendition of Wesley looks nothing like Alexis Denisof.

Still haven't found the other issues of Spike vs. Dracula... I'll have to wait for the TPB.
  25. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 10
    Right now I'm working on "Carnival Of Souls". "After Image" was good.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.