main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Buffy The Vampire Slayer & Angel book/comic book discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by darth-sinister, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Got the second Buffy and really enjoyed it. Truly loved the last page and it made me rush to watch the particular episode that she was referring to. In fact, I found that pic actually kinda haawt. :eek:

Also came across Spike Asylum and picked up 2-5. They didn't have #1.

Have to say I really enjoyed them. Was chuckling and commenting while reading and drove my daughter crazy. :D :D

I can now add another check to the nerd test now that I'm buying comics. :p :p

2. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    So I've read the second issue and liked it a lot. It felt meatier than #1 and I also thought the dialogue was a bit better. Great to see some more familiar faces like Giles, Andrew and my favorite Buffyverse character, Willow. Andrew didn't really look like Tom Lenk though, but his Star Wars rant was funny, and very much in character, so I'll let it slide for now.

I'm kinda liking the hints of a relationship between Buffy and Xander, (even though it was a dream) I've been rooting for Xander to end up with Buffy since the first season. I guess I just identied so much with Xander in Prophecy Girl when Buffy rejected him, that I always hoped things could change. There were a couple of instances during the series where there's something there between them, some connection.

Anyway; all in all, a great issue.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I also got issue two today. I'll be doing my review of it and "Bad Bargin".

4. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    [image=http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0701/09/buffy2.jpg]

Buffy The Vampire Slayer: The Long Way Home Part 2" by Joss Whedon, Georges Jeantry and Jo Chen.

The story picks up with Giles supervising the training of a group of Slayers in England, while lammenting how much he misses training with Buffy. In Scotland, Buffy is training her group of Slayers and uses her three favorite newbies as an example. Meanwhile, possibly in Italy, Andrew is trying his hardest to teach his Slayers and using Star Wars references. Which are lost on everyone. Meanwhile, Xander has a suspicion as to why Dawn is a giant. Back in the US, the general has sent his operative out to take down Buffy and if the operative fails, the other operative will be sent. The General has the same marking that Buffy and her Slayers found, on his chest. Before long, Amy Madison (the operative) shows up with a plan to take Buffy out which leads to a showdown next issue with Willow.

This issue continues to bring everyone together, while increasing the mystery of the marking and the mysterious individual who was with Amy. Possibilities include Caleb, the First possessing Caleb, the re-animated corpse of Jonathan, Adam with a new power source and maybe Willy. The individual is a male and quite hideous. We can rule out the Mayor for now, due to the events of "Haunted" which I'll be reviewing later. The mysteries are intriguing and should have a grand payoff. Andrew is in top form and based on the artwork, appears to have cut his hair since we last saw him in "The Girl In Question". Also interesting and quite funny is Xander's choice of sleepwear. I know he lost all of his stuff when Sunnydale was devourered (sp), but seriously dude, he's never going to have a new girlfriend dressing like that. :p

Oh, I doubt Xander and Buffy will get together. Geller and Brendon tried to get Whedon to do that for season seven, but Whedon said no. Buffy has a history of falling for badboys. Though, Whedon's joke about who Buffy ends up with could leave that open. I do know that who Buffy sees in her dream appears to be Spike, but could easily be Angel.

I've also got a feeling that Riley could very well come back and Whedon hinted that he's got something in mind for Agent Finn.

5. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Caleb huh? I hadn't actually even thought of him, but that makes perfect sense.

I do have to agree with Hansen, that the drawn Andrew really looks nothing like him. I in't even know it was him until reading his SW rant. :p

As to Xander and Buffy hooking up. I would hate to see that. She'd break the poor boy in half. ;)

Also, the pj's ( yeah I had to peek again to remember what they were). I'm not so sure, I thought they were cute and when I showed my daughter, she "awww'd" them. Must be a geek thing. They're the kind a thing a girlfirend could borrow. :D :D

6. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I must be the only one on here who recognized Andrew right off.

7. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    I'm secretly hoping for Buffy and Xander pairing but at the end I know it won't work out like all relationships in Buffy and Angel.

Nope I recognized him as well, although he did look a bit freaky.

8. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    [image=http://www.temp.sfbok.se/kat/img/61886.jpg]

"Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Bad Bargain" by Diana G. Gallagher.

Friday evening at Sunnydale High, the school is readying for it's annual fundraiser for the school's band. One year before the infamous incident caused by Ethan Rayne, there was the rummage sale in the cafeteria. Unfortunately, what no one realizes is that a young student named Michael has created a charm to protect himself from the nasties of the Hellmouth and it was tossed in with the donations made by his mother. And in an effort to find it, Michael uses a retrieval spell which will bring the item back to him. The downside is that with the Hellmouth weakened by the Master's escape, supernatural forces from the Hellmouth come out and start unleashing chaos. In a day's time, people are affected. Xander has a vest that won't let go, Willow has a mysterious cuddily creature that's controling her, Andrew is being chased by a whip weilding Jonathan, Snyder has holes in his head, Cordellia & Harmony have beauty issues and Joyce has the worst case of dry skin. To make matters worse, Spike is trapped in the basement with Drusillia who has been bit by Hellmouth Vampire bats that are turning her into a giant bat. Now Buffy, Giles and Jenny must keep the school contained and fix this mess.

The story isn't too bad. It's quick and simple, but has some great moments including those with Jonathan and Andrew. The Mayor is refered to throughout especially as he wants an item which as we know, belonged to his "father", which means that he had lost it long ago and can collect it from Joyce. The Hellmouth's involvement works within the context of the show and doesn't really violate continuity. The downside of this book is that the author messed up the continuity. Numerous references are made to Xander and Cordellia's relationship, but Spike has yet to restore Drusillia and Angel still has his soul. That aside, the story's good and I recommend it.

9. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Sounds pretty intersting. I'll have to see if I can reserve it at the library. :)

10. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    IDWEEK: BRIAN LYNCH TALKS SPIKE AND ANGEL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by Chris Ryall

When the latest Spike miniseries, Spike: Asylum, debuted in late 2006, it captivated many fans, including one in particular who would write Brian Lynch a special note of praise. That ?fan?? Spike creator Joss Whedon. And the note of praise? An offer to work together to continue Angel?s story beyond ?Not Fade Away,? the final episode of Angel: Season 5. You know, the episode that saw Angel and company about to engage in an apocalyptic battle in a Los Angeles alleyway.

Before that tale is told, though, Brian is once again teaming up with his Asylum artist, Franco Urru, to bring about another Spike adventure. An adventure that just might see Spike ?puppetized? in the same way that Angel was in the classic Season 5 episode ?Smile Time.? Spike: Shadow Puppets is a four-part adventure guest-starring Lorne, some returnees from Spike: Asylum, and a cast of thousands. Thousands of ninja puppets, that is.

Brian was good enough to share a bit more about Spike: Shadow Puppets as well as the upcoming Angel series? and as a special bonus, below the interview, you get an exclusive look at the first five pages of Spike: Shadow Puppets #1, along with some commentary from Lynch, too.

Newsarama: Spike: Shadow Puppets, on top of everything else, is quite the team-up between Spike and Lorne. The two never really had much to say to each other in the TV show, but their interplay in the comic feels right, and works really well. What made you think they'd pair up so well?

Brian Lynch: It kinda came about while I was writing Spike: Asylum and needed someone outside of the rehab facility to help Spike. Since it was established that they were near Las Vegas, I thought Lorne was an easy one to bring in. Once I started writing Spike and Lorne's dialogue together, I noticed how well they play off each other. I think it's because they're two of the funnier characters from Angel. They both enjoy taking the piss out of other characters, so if they were in a situation where they had to hang out, it was only natural they'd start digging at each other. Halfway through issue one of Shadow Puppets, the miniseries definitely becomes a "buddy picture" with Spike and Lorne being thrown together and not enjoying it. Of course, like all good buddy pictures, they form a bond by the end. Around issue three, in fact, there's a downright "nice" moment between them... until Spike realizes it's a nice moment and goes out of his way to mess it up.

NRAMA: The covers seem to give away the fact that Spike, and possibly Lorne, too, get "puppetized" just as Angel did in the "Smile Time" episode. But there are some unexpected surprises and guest-stars in this series, too, aren't there?

BL: Oh yes. A few Angel favorites pop up briefly in issue two, and one of the big bads working behind the scenes at Smile Time: Japan is definitely a crowd favorite. Puppet Spike is awesome and Puppet Lorne is even more awesome, but let's just say that's just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Puppetizing Angel characters. I hope Diamond Select Toys is paying attention; we just handed them their product line for the next few years.

NRAMA: Cuter: puppies or puppets? Discuss.

BL: Puppet puppies. Definitely. No wait, I'm gonna change my answer. Let's think this one through: the cutest puppy ever? One of those little wrinkle dogs, probably. Sharpei, I think they're called. Damn cute. But the cutest PUPPET ever... I'd have to go with Kermit's nephew Robin, who is WAY cuter than a Sharpei... answer: Puppets are definitely cuter. Even the Smile Time puppets are cute as hell. They're murderous demons, but they're so adorable.

NRAMA: Following this 4-part tale, your next comic-book effort seems to be a dream gig for many people, and certainly for Angel fans: you're working alongside (figuratively, I mean, you're not crowding him at his desk) Joss Whedon and picking up Angel's story where it left off with the finale of

11. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Damn, this is only going to turn me into a comic geek all the more faster. (faster?) :p

12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    [image=http://cyberread.com/files/_xml_import/UnnaturalSelection.jpg]

"Unnatural Selection" by Mel Odom.

One night while baby sitting the Campbell child, Willow suspects soemthing supernatural is in the home and when she goes to check on her charge, she finds him possessed by an entity connected to the domovoi. A Russian faeire sect that wants to stop the destruction of Weatherly Park, which Mr. Campbell is planning to build an amusement park in it's place. Fearful for the child, Willow contacts the rest of the Scoobies to try and stop the domovoi. Willow is told that if she does not stop the construction, the child will die. Racked with guilt, Willow sets off to try and stop Mr. Campbell, but Giles soon discovers the reason the domovoi are so protective of Weatherly Park.

This story is set during season three and is one of the first post season three novels printed. Mel Odom crafts a simple tale here, showing off his talents which he will continue to excel at with future Buffy and Angel installments. We are given early hints at Willow's potential as a witch and see how protective she can be. I recommend this book.

13. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Okay newest Buffy was a good one. Certainly start out right with that pic from Buffy's dream. :D :D

Laughed like crazy at Andrew's circumstance and couldn't help but think, "You wish!" [face_laugh]

The end, ha!!! Never saw that coming and had to wait while my daughter read it in the car again and ooohed and ahhhed it!

Excellent issue. Also loving that it looks to be a long issue series.

o_O *start multipying 2.99 x 40 issues*

14. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    Being a big fan of good (surrealistic) dream sequences, this issue was probably my favorite yet. It was also great to finally have Buffy, Xander and Willow together again (great dialogue between these three).

Ethan appearing in Buffy's dream was muchg more of a surprise to me than the final reveal of Amy's "boyfriend". I wonder though, if Ethan himself is actually involved or whether he's purely from the subconcious of Buffy...

Will be interesting when we find out who kissed Buffy. Personally, I hope it was Xander, and desperately don't want it to be Willow. Don't know anything about the other slayers to care if it was any of them...

Another great issue, can't wait for our first arc-resolution next month!

15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I'll be doing my review soon. But I gotta admit that I had a pretty good peg as to Amy's companion.

16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    [image=http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/darth-ermac/Whedon/buffy-season-8-3-comic-book-cover-m.jpg]

"Buffy The Vampire Slayer: The Long Way Home" part 3

Our story resumes with Buffy in the dream state being visited by Ethan Rayne. Ethan has come to warn Buffy about Amy and her ally. Meanwhile, Willow and Amy battle it out with Dawn lending a hand. Or I should say, a foot. Willow then informs Xander, Dawn and the Slayers that someone will have to kiss Buffy to bring her out of the spell. But we're left to wonder who did the deed. Just as Willow is about to find out who sent Amy, Willow and Amy disappear. And an old friend makes his presence known. Meanwhile, Giles and Andrew come up with nothing solid about the mysterious symbol.

Another solid issue by Whedon and company. By far one of the best moments is Buffy in her dream and when she immediately wakes up, its similar to a certain peroxide vampire in "Chosen". And the revelation/cliffhanger was very spot on as I had figured there were only two real canidates. Two characters that would make a grown man feel sick and horrified. Warren Meers definately fits that bill.

17. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I just picked up issue four today and will have a review forthcoming.

18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    [image=http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/darth-ermac/Whedon/14114.jpg]

Buffy The Vampire Slayer: The Long Way Home" part 4

Our story picks up with Willow learning how Warren survived being flayed alive back in season six. As Buffy tries to console Dawn, before she can mount a rescue, Willow must do her best to survive what is happening to her. Buffy discovers why she said cinnamon before she and Satsu invade the military complex where Willow is being held. In the end, Buffy learns what it is that she will have to face this year and an old "friend" makes his exit.

This is the wrap-up to Joss Whedon's first story arc, with "The Chain" as a stand alone, when it hits in August. Joss once again nails all the characters while moving things along at a good pace. The backstory on Amy's boyfriend works and I could've seen it done on the television series. The mystery behind the symbol and the government is brought further into the light as now Buffy has a clue as to what's going on. My only complaint and even then I'm not sure how much of one it is, is that Willow recovers from her torture none the worse for wear. Hopefully this is a sign that she has totally recovered from her anger fits or is something that could come back later on.

When the TPB comes out, I'll give a review for all four issues as I originally planned with more in-depth coverage.

19. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Any idea when the next issue is due out?

~PK~

20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Issue Five is in August on the 4th, I believe. I'll give the run down for the next three issues. Along with a review of the novel, "The Deathless".

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Issue Five.

[image=http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/darth-ermac/Whedon/buffy-season-8-issue-5-official-cov.jpg]

[image=http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/darth-ermac/Whedon/buffy-season-8-issue-5-variant-cove.jpg]

[image=http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/darth-ermac/Whedon/buffy-season-8-issue-5-variant-c-1.jpg]

Writer: Joss Whedon
    Cover Artist: Jo Chen
    Penciller: Paul Lee
    Inker: Andy Owens

Buffy's new position as leader and figurehead of the world's five hundred most powerful women has made her a bigger target than ever before. "The Chain" tells the story of one of the decoy "Buffy" Slayers, a tale personally important to series creator Joss Whedon. Guest artist Paul Lee (Conan, Tales of the Vampires) pencils the first standalone issue of Season Eight.

Buffy creator Joss Whedon brings Buffy back to Dark Horse in this direct follow-up to season seven of the smash-hit TV series.

This series secured spot #8 in Entertainment Weekly's "The Twenty Big Events of 2007."

"I should probably say that it's the awesomest thing ever. I'm having so much fun."
    -Joss on Season Eight

"Series creator Whedon effectively sucks devotees back into his Hellmouth."
    -Entertainment Weekly

Season 8 written by Joss Whedon. Only available in comics!

Publication Date: Aug 01, 2007
    Format: Full color, 40 pages
    Price: $2.99

Issue Six.

[image=http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/darth-ermac/Whedon/buffy-season-8-issue-6-cover-mq.jpg]

[image=http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/darth-ermac/Whedon/buffy-season-8-comic-book-issue-6-m.jpg]

Writer: Brian K. Vaughan
    Cover Artist: Jo Chen
    Penciller: Georges Jeanty
    Inker: Andy Owens

The second arc of our bestselling Season Eight starts here. Top creator Brian K. Vaughan (Y: The Last Man; Pride of Baghdad; Lost) takes over writing duties and dives headlong into what Faith is up to-infiltration, assassination, and nonstop Cleveland. The fugitive Slayer is given the assignment that could change her life . . . if Giles's specialized training doesn't make her want to end it first. Artist Georges Jeanty (The American Way) remains at the top of his game-and Joss Whedon stays on as Executive Producer-in this first part of "No Future for You."

Buffy creator Joss Whedon brings Buffy back to Dark Horse in this direct follow-up to season seven of the smash-hit TV series.

Publication Date: Sep 05, 2007
    Format: Full color, 40 pages
    Price: $2.99

Issue Seven.

[image=http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/darth-ermac/Whedon/BuffySeason8Fc7.jpg]

[image=http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/darth-ermac/Whedon/BuffySeason8Fc7Alt.jpg]

Written by Brian K. Vaughan, penciled by Georges Jeanty, inked by Andy Owens, colored by Dave Stewart, cover by Jo Chen.

Faith?s out to kill a Slayer.

Lady Genevieve Savidge is one of the most dangerous women on the planet. If she?s left unstopped, the British heiress will usher in the apocalypse. Faith has accepted Giles?s offer of an early retirement package for this gig ? but the wetworks will have to wait till she?s infiltrated Savidge?s mystically protected estate.

40 pages, $2.99, in stores on Oct. 3.

[image=http://www.simonsays.com/assets/isbn/1416936300/C_1416936300.jpg]

"Buffy The Vampire Slayer: The Deathless." by Keith R.A. Candido. The story takes places shortly after the events of "The Zeppo" and begins with Buffy and Faith chasing after a newly risen vampire, while still nursing injuries from their fight with the Sisterhood of Jhe. Their chase takes them to a house not far from Revello when the vampire freaks out. After dusting the vamp, Buffy has a feeling that it might be another Praying Mantis. But she soon discovers alongside Willow and Giles that this is not the case, instead the owner of the house turns out to be the legendary Baba Yaga. A Russian witch who has been alive a long time. She reveals that years ago she managed to kill Koschei, an immortal of sorts who was known as the Deathless. Koschei was far more power

22. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    I can't wait for the next comic to come out. Though I wish there was more to them then there are. :(

Oooh, The Deathless sounds fun!

Thanks for the update Sin! [:D]

23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Get ready for some major Buffy and Angel news.

First, Buffy will continue with season nine. Whedon confirmed this at SDCC. Second, Whedon has confirmed that the BBC will give us "Ripper" with Anthony Stewart Head. A 90 minute TV-Movie. Third, preview pages of issue six.

http://www.whedon.info/Buffy-Season-8-Comic-Book-Issue-6,23223.html

Now, Angel season six.

[image=http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/darth-ermac/Whedon/Angel-1.jpg]

SDCC '07: BRIAN LYNCH ON ANGEL: AFTER THE FALL

by Troy Brownfield

It?s been a hope of many fans of the Buffyverse ever since ?Buffy Season 8? kicked off, and now that hope is finally realized. Angel gets to continue fictional life (or is that undeath?) in comic form at IDW with Angel: After the Fall. The man tapped for the writing chores by creator Joss Whedon himself will already be familiar to fans of Angel-related comics: he?s Brian Lynch, the writer of Spike: Asylum and Spike: Shadow Puppets. We?ve spoken to Lynch, and he delivers as much as he can from behind the cloak of secrecy (and pesky Wolfram and Hart contracts).

Newsarama: You'll be working on Angel: After the Fall; how did you get involved with the project?

Brian Lynch: I wrote a comic called Spike: Asylum, based on a character from Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Angel named, of course, Asylum. Literally the day before issue 1 came out I ran into Joss at breakfast and told him what a huge fan I was and told him that the comic book was coming out. He said he'd check it out, and hurried away before his people tackled me and made me sign certain documents saying I would never come within fifty yards of him again.

A few weeks went by and IDW Editor in Chief Christopher "Chris" Ryall sent an e-mail telling me to call him and I did and Chris proceeded to read this very complementary, somewhat life-changing e-mail from Mr. Whedon saying that he enjoyed Spike: Asylum and thinks that maybe the time is right to officially continue the Angel story and that I would be the guy to write it.

We traded e-mails back and forth for a while and eventually met up for breakfast and he told me all his ideas and I told him the one I had ("Angel should fight monsters!") and then I put some of the ideas to paper, slowly the story's spine started to form, I'd send him an e-mail with more ideas, he'd send an e-mail back with even better ideas, it slowly but surely became the greatest story of all time and he was all "this is neat" and here we are.

NRAMA: With the involvement of Joss Whedon, this is the canoncial follow-up to the five seasons of the television series, right?

BL: Yes, it certainly is. Everything that happens in these pages officially happens to these characters. It's pretty exciting and kind of daunting. But the script for issue 1 is ready and the first five or six issues or so are very tightly planned out and I must say, it's a fine continuation. I think people will be pleased. And shocked. And hurt. And then pleased again. But a little hurt. But mostly excited. And a little sleepy. Because man, they stayed up too late last night.

NRAMA: Can you tell us anything at all about the plot basics or characters involved?

BL: Spike definitely enters into the story. But I must say, I'm writing who or what the story needs. It's not about favorites at all, it's about telling the best story we can.

And certain characters are surprising me. There is a character in the first issue that I never really "bonded" with on the show. Joss had a wonderful idea for said character in the book, so he-or-she is in the first issue, setting up his-or-her (Good Lord this is annoying, sorry) story, and it was kind of a revelation as to how cool this character really is.

I e-mailed Chris and Joss last week and told them "I just wrote character X, and I was shocked by how much fun he-or-she was to write." I told Ryall I wanted to give them a spin-off.

NRAMA: Who's handling the art and cover chores for the series?

BL: I've decided I'm going to tackle it. Little stick figures with teeny tiny little stakes.

24. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Oh yay for a 9th season!!!!! Whoo-Hoo!!!! [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

And another cheer for Angel Season 6!! :D :D

25. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    Boo!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.