main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Buffy The Vampire Slayer & Angel book/comic book discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by darth-sinister, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Talon_Kenobi

Talon_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2003
    Is what happened to LA mentioned in Buffy season 8?

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    No, because Whedon and Brian K. Vaughn had written their stories prior to Whedon and Brian Lynch starting "After The Fall". We probably won't see a reference to Los Angeles until sometime next year. Most likely when Whedon writes his next story.

I'll have a review for issue two of "No Future For You", this week.

3. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    [image=http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/darth-ermac/Whedon/BuffySeason8Fc7.jpg]

[image=http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/darth-ermac/Whedon/BuffySeason8Fc7Alt.jpg]

"Buffy The Vampire Slayer: No Future For You" part 2. By Joss Whedon, Brian K. Vaughn, Jo Chen, Georges Jeantry and Andy Owens.

The issue picks up with Faith about to meet Genevieve Savidge, but finds it difficult to get to her. While on her own, Faith finds her self face to face with the rogue Slayer and finds that they have a lot in common. Faith herself is still not over what happened from her fight with Buffy, back in 99. Worse, she winds up getting an offer that she didn't expect. Meanwhile, Buffy and Xander talk about recent events while Willow tries to get to the heart of what is wrong with Dawn. This issue is a very good one. BKV continues to have a strong grasp on characterization and really explores what was unsaid in season seven. Especially since there was so much going on and so many things left unsettled, it looks like they'll finally be settled. Or as much as possible.

Previews.

[image=http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/darth-ermac/Whedon/14664-2.jpg]

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8: #8 No Future for You
    Writer: Brian K. Vaughan
    Artist: Georges Jeanty
    Cover Artist: Jo Chen
    Inker: Andy Owens
    Colorist: Dave Stewart
    Genre: Horror, Action/Adventure

Faith hits the ground running after she infiltrates the estate of a rogue Slayer, that is until Buffy pops in and is confronted by her longtime nemesis. Certainly, chaos ensues.

A smash hit, Season Eight continues to enthrall readers with writer Brian K. Vaughan (Y: The Last Man; Pride of Baghdad; Lost), artist Georges Jeanty (The American Way) and Buffy creator and Executive Producer Joss Whedon all at the helm.

* Brian K. Vaughan (writer of Lost and Ex Machina) takes on Faith in Season Eight.

* Top-ten seller Buffy #1 went immediately back to press-three times-to satisfy demand . . . totaling over 150,000 copies!

Joss Whedon's Season Eight continues!

Publication Date: Nov 07, 2007
    Format: Full color, 40pages
    Price: $2.99

Issue Nine Possibly NSFW.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8: #9 No Future for You
    By: Joss Whedon
    Writer: Brian K. Vaughan
    Artist: Georges Jeanty

Slayers battle to the death in the thrilling conclusion to Brian K. Vaughan's four-issue run on Buffy Season Eight.

With Joss Whedon serving as Executive Producer and Georges Jeanty (The American Way) as series artist, Buffy Season Eight continues to entertain longtime Buffy fans and newcomers alike.

* Buffy Season Eight continues!

* Top-ten seller Buffy #1 went immediately back to press-three times-to satisfy demand . . . totaling over 150,000 copies!

Brian K. Vaughan takes on Faith in Season Eight.

Publication Date: Dec 05, 2007
    Format: Full color, 40 pages

[image=http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/darth-ermac/Whedon/406px-Anywhere_but_here.jpg]

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8: #10 Anywhere but Here
    Writer: Joss Whedon
    Penciller: Cliff Richards

Buffy and Willow meet a demon who reveals a dim future, forcing the two to reflect on their past. Meanwhile, back in Scotland, Dawn confides in Xander the deed that led to her mysterious growth spurt.

Series creator Joss Whedon writes Buffy Season Eight #10 with veteran Buffy artist Cliff Richards serving as guest penciller.

"Joss Whedon, the man, the myth, the legend, writes the comic with the same genius as he did the show." -Janet Evanovich, New York Times bestselling author of Hard Eight

Joss Whedon writes Season Eight.

Publication Date: Jan 02, 2008
    Format: Full color, 40 pages

4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Eeeks, lots of wonderful info here. :D :D Thanks Sinister. [:D]

5. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    "Angel: After The Fall" #3.

[image=http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/darth-ermac/Whedon/angel-season-6-comic-book-cover-mq-.jpg]

[image=http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/darth-ermac/Whedon/angel-season-6-comic-book-cover--1.jpg]

6. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I really need to pick up the Angel stuff. Read the latest Buffy and that ending was very omg.

~PK~

7. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I'll be doing my review of Buffy this week. Be forwarned, word has it that issue one of Angel will be going back to press again, before it has been released. Apparently the pre-sale orders were very high. This is a rarity in the comic industry.

8. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    The conclusion to the Faith arc was great. On the whole I probably liked BKV's arc better than Joss' arc, but Buffy season openers have always been a bit hit and miss...

9. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Okay, sorry about the delays.

[image=http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/darth-ermac/Whedon/buffy-season-8-comic-book-issue-9-f.jpg]

"Buffy The Vampire Slayer: No Future For You" by Joss Whedon, Brian K. Vaughn, Georges Jeantry and Andy Owens. In this conclusion, Faith finds herself face to face with Genivere while Buffy wants to know what kind of game Giles is playing at. Meanwhile, a major clue about the Twilight arc starts to come to light. For long time Buffy fans, if you recall in "Fray", we were told that in Fray's time, magick was gone. The age of magick ended with the death of a Slayer and the banishing of all the demons on Earth, to a hell dimension. Except for the vampires who remained behind. Things seem to be heading towards that route. BKV has shown that he is capable and would be a welcomed if he were to do another arc, either in this season or the next season.

[image=http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/darth-ermac/Whedon/Angel-1.jpg]

"Angel: After The Fall" by Joss Whedon, Brian Lynch and Franco Urru. Our story begins with Angel going into action against a group of demons threatening some civilians. Angel is upset that the Senior Partners took it one step too far, by punishing all of L.A., by bringing hell to the city of angels. Angel has done his best to keep the people safe and yet, it seems to be almost futile. Now engaged in a war with the demon Lord Burge, Angel must do his best to protect the civilians as well as his loved ones. Meanwhile, an old friend has undergone a startling change.

A solid start to the new era. Many of the ideas that were rumored to have occured in season six have come to light, while others were created for the book, since the medium is differnt. While Franco Urru's art is different from David Mensia, he does have a good work ethic from what I can tell. All in all, I think this will be a good series.

[image=http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/darth-ermac/Whedon/AngelSpotlight.jpg]

"Angel: Spotlight" by Peter David, Nicola Scott, Dan Jolley, Mark Pennington, Scott Tipton, Mike Norton, Jeff Mariotte, David Mensia, Jay Faerber and Bob Gill. A series of one-shots set during season five, with one set at the start of season one. Each issue focuses on one of the main cast members. "Illyria" focuses on how Illyria tries to understand guilt. "Gunn" focuses on Gunn finding his heroic niche again, following his betrayal. "Wesley" focuses on how far he is willing to go for Fred. "Doyle" shows us what lead to his pairing up with Angel. And "Connor" focuses on how Connor dealt with the knowledge of two lives. A variety of talent is involved and each brings his or her unique talents to bear. Nothing in the story outright contradicts the series, which is a good thing. It can almost seem as if it could be canon.

[image=http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/darth-ermac/Whedon/Spike20Old20wounds20cover.jpg]

"Spike: Old Wounds" by Scott Tipton and Fernado Goni. Set during season five, Fred is taken hostage by a mystery man who has been following her. He is using her to get into Wolfram & Hart, but finds himself surrounded by the strike team and Angel. After turning over his gun, the man explains himself. He's former police Detective McNeil, who investigated the Black Dahlia murders in the 40's. He tells Angel and the rest that he is after a man who he believes to have been involved. The man is Spike, who is none to pleased to be accused of something he never did. After taking off, Spike comes to Fred to explain the situation. The story is pretty good and Spike's characterization is spot on. What's also worth mentioning is that the artist, Fernado Goni was able to do a very good job rendering the likenesses of all the Angel cast. Being a one-shot, there isn't as tight as schedule as there is with a monthly. The end result is that the artist can take more time and thus it comes through in the final product.

10. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    I had no idea how very behind I'd been. Got to get the whole No Future For You arc and wasn't that a treat. Loved the story an am hoping for another comic out this, s eries with Faith/Giles?

Also got #2, #3 and #4 of Spike's Shadow Puppets. Can't find #1 and I'm not allowing myself to read the others first. This is killing me. :p

After the Fall is a lovely start as well. [face_love]

Both Angel: Spotlight and Spike: Old Wounds sound terribly fun and I'll have to keep track of these. I just don't need another obession. They can be involving. :p

11. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I really am enjoying this thread. I have most of the Buffy books that you've reviewed and you've encouraged me to pick up several more. I'm also getting into the current series of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel comics that have come out.

Buffy Season 8# *SPOILERS*

I'm really enjoying this and kind of think it's a much better version of Season 4. Buffy Summers is leading an army of Slayers against the forces of evil spread across the world while hoping that she can finally bring about the end of all the world's vampires and demons. Unfortunately, no sooner does she assemble her army than the United States government and other parties want to shut her down for it. With no budgetary constraints, what I presume to be the Initiative is much more powerful and impressive.

It's really like visiting a bunch of Old Friends. They manage to bring out all the humor and fun from the original series with certain characters that never got enough attention on the show (Faith, Dawn, and Robin Wood) all getting nice little bits. Since Anthony Stewart Head no longer needs to commute from England, we also get to see Giles used as much as possible. I've missed Giles since Season 5 and am glad he's back. Plus, you can have such utterly non-Television show moments like Dawn becoming a 25ft tall 16-year old.

The second Story Arc was focused on Faith, Buffy's former rival, and we get to see her continue on the road to redemption after all of her bumpy starts. Faith has been given the unenviable task of taking down a Duchess' daughter whose inherited the powers of the Slayer but is utterly evil. Unfortunately, Faith also deals with the fact that "Gigi" is one of the few people that is genuinely nice to her. While Buffy is a hero, the fact that the title character of the comic hates Faith (you know---for attempting to kill her all those times) is nicely realistic. Faith is trying to do the right thing but Buffy will never forgive or trust her.

I've heard that Joss is going to be 30-40 issue "Season 8" and bring it to a direct close, basically keeping the issue format down pat. I appreciate when authors are straight up about how long it'll take to actually finish a story arc. It makes me know that he won't drag out a storyline indefinitely.

The fact that all of this is "canonical" is also a major boon since I know this is what's happening to the REAL buffy.

Angel: After the Fall *SPOILERS*

I'm less enthused about Angel: The Fall due to the simple fact that it seems far too removed from the television series to be entirely taken series. Basically, the bizarre plot seems to be that Los Angeles has either been totally overrun with demons or has literally been sucked into Hell. Somehow, this seems to overshadow what happened to Sunnydale that is a major focus of Season 8.

I'd like to believe that Angel has just been sucked with a lot of residents of Los Angeles into a "false" version of the city that's somewhere in Wolfram and Hart's Senior Partner's Home Dimension. That would make it far more believable and is entirely within the power of the godlike Demonic entities. My suspension of disbelief being broken is something that makes After-The-Fall to be very hard to enjoy.

I am pleased by the return of several old friends, however. Charles Gunn and Wesley Wyndam-Price both died in the Season Finale against the Demonic Armies of Wolfram and Hart yet the story couldn't continue without them. I'm pleased that Angel chose one of my solutions for the storyline by having Wesley show up as a ghost. I was TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY by what they chose to do to Charles Gunn, however, and rather saddened by how he manages to *finger quotes* survive *finger quotes* the final battle.

Honestly, I think the series is going more for shock value than it is for genuine entertainment. While it's entirely within my belief that Spike might attempt to set himself up as ruler of Beverly Hills with an army of bathing beauties around him, it seems to come off as a bit lurid to be honest. Also, Joss Whedon's comic

12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Many of these ideas were those that were going to be in season six, had it happened. Gunn's fate for certain.

13. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm not opposed to all of them, they just caught me off-guard. I wasn't entirely enthused with The Beast's blotting out the sun or Jasmine's takeover of California either but then again, it's not like the show hasn't played with the End Days before. I'll be interested in how things are resolved (if at all).

14. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I'll be doing my reviews coming up soon.

15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    [image=http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/darth-ermac/Whedon/406px-Anywhere_but_here.jpg]

"Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Anywhere But Here" by Joss Whedon, Cliff Richards and Andy Owens. Buffy and Willow spend some time together talking, as they're on their way to confront Tichajt, a demon that can reveal the secrets that people and demons have. Buffy and Willow come to learn many truths about what happened since leaving Sunnydale. We learn about where the Slayer Army aquire their funds and why Willow and Kennedy have been away. This issue is pretty good as Whedon gets inside both girls minds and show us that they still are not perfect people and prone to mistakes. New insights into the relationship has been brought up and sheds new light on the previous seasons. Cliff Richards, former artist on the old Buffy series returns here and still proves that he is capable of making the characters sparkle. His last venture had been the Angel short story in "Tales Of The Vampires", which was in 2004.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer: A Beautiful Sunset" by Joss Whedon, Georges Jeantry, Andy Owens and new cover artist Dave Stweart. Buffy and Xander discuss how Buffy doesn't feel connected to the Slayers, which she thought would happen after calling all of them at once. Xander does his best to try and convince Buffy that there is nothing wrong. But with so many Slayers and being scattered all over, Buffy feels that it's not enough. Especially when the Slayer Simone Doffler has robbed a bank with a group of girls who may or may not be Slayers. After leaving a party with Dawn and the other Slayers, Buffy and Satsu head out to destroy a nest of vampires and to talk about Satsu's feelings. Which leads to Buffy's first encounter with Twilight who proves to be very knowledgeable in Buffy's fighting style and is as strong or even stronger than Glory. He hits the nail on the head regarding Buffy's feelings and Buffy realizes that this is may be the Big Bad.

Whedon continues to show us the good and the bad of activating so many Slayers, showing us that the line of right and wrong will continue to blur. While it may be a good thing to have activated all the Slayers, as it has been said on Buffy and Angel, everything has it's price with magick.

[image=http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/darth-ermac/Whedon/angel-season-6-issue-2-after-the-fa.jpg]

"Angel: After The Fall" #2 by Joss Whedon, Brian Lynch, Franco Urru and Tony Harris. Angel seeks out Connor fearing that because of what he did with Lord Burge, his son's life is in danger. However when he arrives, he finds that while Connor is fine, Gwen and Nina are not as happy to see him as before. Gwen points Angel out to a message in blood, which Angel recognizes and heads to Beverly Hills to confront Spike who has set up shop. Unfortunately, he's not alone as Illyria appears. Meanwhile, Gunn interrogates Betta George and we learn why he wants to find Angel. He has a bone to pick.

Lynch and Whedon continue to give us a look into the consequences of Angel's decisions, which we see that indeed, there is a price to pay for being a hero. Lynch is continuing to get comfortable with the rest of the Angel cast, since he has master Spike already. Franco Urru's artwork, despite some critisim, does it's job effectively.

Angel: After The Fall" #3 by Joss Whedon, Brian Lynch, Franco Urru and Tony Harris. Angel fights Illyria, who like Nina, has been affected by their new surroundings. Angel eventually learns that he has once again underestimated Spike, as the true nature of his actions are revealed to Angel. Forced to leave, Angel and Wesley go to confront the demon lords of L.A. and a startling revelation has come to light.

Whedon and Lynch's twist is definately out of left feild and it's something that was not rumored when season six was still a possibility. Plenty of questions have been raised and it'll be interesting to see how this came about. So far, "After The Fall" has been hitting on all cylinders and Lynch has a good handle on the characters.

16. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Loved Anywhere But Here.

Haven't seen A Beautiful Sunset and though been searching can't find After The Fall 2 & 3.

17. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Am I a bad person If I truly believe that "twilight" is a government altered Riley Finn?

God, I hated Riley

18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Some people have thought that. The only other person who could even remotely come to mind is Hank Summers or someone else who has close ties to Buffy. We know that someone will betray her in the worst possible way. If it isn't Dawn looking to be reverted back into her normal size, it's someone that she'd never expect to betray her.

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
  20. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    I hope Twilight isn't Riley. I thought him pretty lame as well.

I did find A Beautiful Sunset and thoroughly enjoyed that. Ooooh, love that cover and look forward to the issue.

21. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Sexy. Main reason I've been interested in season eight is the eventual connections to Fray.

22. PerfectCell

PerfectCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2005
    Unless it's a flashback or a prophecy dream of some kind then I don't like that at all, I'm generally not in favor of stories that bridge that amount of time in a universe that doesn't really support that notion.

As for the series so far,

I'm not the biggest fan of what I have read so far, The Long Way Home. Much like Fray and most of his other comic work, Joss seems to have a hard time relating the plot, characters, and feelings through words and pictures. His writing was so good on the TV show because the actors were there to emote every little detail, and you just don't get that out of any of his comic writing. It's also tad bit too breezy, moves too fast, and has some lines and parts that don't make much sense.

But, even with all of that it is still a good read. It's not a perfect book by any means, but then again I have never thought of Joss as an Alan Moore or Kurt Busiek in terms of the comics medium. It's fun, and hopefully I believe the story is taking me somewhere and I actually do like Buffy's new take on some things, and it's refreshing to see the characters again.

23. Jedi_Master_Adara

Jedi_Master_Adara Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 29, 2008
    They really shouldn't have taken it beyond the movie. It just doesn't work.

24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Whedon actually addressed that on Newsarama yesterday.

NRAMA: So doing the comic book series was basically going back as ?fresh? as you could possibly be to the characters?

JW: It was. The joy of that was that I had forgotten how much fun it was to write for these people, and it?s thanks to Georges that it is ?these people? that I?m writing for. At the same time, it was ?Year One? again. Because it?s a new medium, we were finding our footing. What do people really need from this story, this Season? Big action, romance, the likenesses? What was it that was really going to make it pop for the readers?

I look at the first trade and think it?s a swell yarn, and I knew where I was going and what is coming in the rest of the season, but I feel that there?s emotional depth that we really haven?t started to reach yet. Now, as we?re getting into the second year of the series, I feel that we?re really starting to dig and find those depths that we just dented in our ?pilot.? We?re no longer just scratching the surface. It?s even more fun now.

As to what happened in this issue, Whedon speaks with Newsarama about it and everything else Buffy. Spoilers for those who haven't read it yet. Both in the link and down below.

Buffy sleeps with Satsu.

NRAMA: With this story, there?s a large character step for Buffy here in that she takes another Slayer as a lover. Was that your plan originally, or something Drew included in his story?

JW: What it was is that I had introduced the character and the dynamic that one of the Slayers was in love with Buffy, and we went to the place that we often will of - it would be fun to see her dancing around it a little bit: ?I am pretty lonely, she is pretty hot, and she really likes me. I trust her, we?re all out here, I?m an open-minded gal?and did I mention that she really likes me??

We thought we could have a little fun playing with her thinking about that, and Drew took the point of view that it plays a lot better if it just happens.

NRAMA: And any thinking about it has to come after the fact?

JW: Right. Rather than just being coy about it, and the whole ?will they/won?t they?? Just have it happen, and then have them be coy about it. Awkwardly, nakedly, coy. Have all the silly fun of the French farce where everyone runs into the room, and then have the genuine emotion of ?Did I use this person? Did I manipulate this person?? And they?re both thinking that. They?re both wondering if they?re going to get hurt or if they?re going to hurt the other person, and whether or not they should have done it. Not due to any moral reason or anything. It?s not a huge life change for Buffy. She?s not gay. Sexuality is a spectrum. Many of us have experimented in our youth ? that?s what youths are for.

So we knew it wasn?t going to be a giant character shift ? it was just going to be nice fodder for Buffy to be going through something besides feeling lonely and disconnected and having the weight of the world on her shoulders. It was nice for something nice to happen to her, and then for her to get kind of awkward about it.

Yeah ? we liked the arena, and it was Drew who pushe

25. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    New announcement.

SPIKE GETS AN OFFICIAL STORY IN SPIKE: AFTER THE FALL

It?s a good time in comics for fans of Joss Whedon?s Buffy-verse.

Dark Horse is telling of Buffy, the Vampire Slayer?s adventures following the conclusion of her television series and IDW?s Angel: After the Fall is officially continuing that character?s story post Season Five of the television series? finale.

But what about Spike? Does his official (read: approved by Whedon) story get explored and told anywhere?

While the character has appeared in Angel: After the Fall, there were certainly some questions left unanswered. Those burning questions will be answered in Spike: After the Fall miniseries launching in July from IDW, by Brian Lynch and Franco Urru. As for the continuity?hang on?

Angel: After the Fall #6, #7 and #8 tell stories of how the cast of characters was affected by the fight in the alley that ended the series. Issue #6 will feature Spike, Connor and Lorne; issue #7 will feature Wesley and a surprise return of a character from the Whedonverse; while issue #8 will feature Gwen, the effect of LA being thrust into hell on the city?s residents, and the fate of Gunn. Issue #9 will pick up from the cliffhanger at the end of issue #5, and will feature the new art team of Nick Runge and Art Lyon. #8 and #9 will both ship in June.

Spike: After the Fall will spin out of the ?First Night? events seen in Angel: After the Fall and events in issue #7, and tells of Spike?s first few months in hell and co-stars Illyria.

Spike: After the Fall will run four issues.

[image=http://www.newsarama.com/IDW/Spike/AfterFall/spike.jpg]

[image=http://www.newsarama.com/IDW/Spike/AfterFall/final.jpg]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.