main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Buffy the Vampire Slayer] Sunsets - Spike/Buffy, post-series (complete in two parts)

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Abby, Jun 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Title: Sunsets
    Author: Abby
    Summary: Spike and Buffy sit together and watch the sun set. Very short (again), un-beta?d, and too much of a summary will ruin the ending.
    Rating: PG
    Warning: You might want a tissue.
    Disclaimer: I don?t own ?em. I?m just borrowing them for a while.
    Note: The 'fic banner was made by xtanitx.

[image=http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d107/townzell/sunsets-1.png]

Sunsets

*~*

He had always enjoyed this time of night; early evening, when the warmth of the day persisted and the setting sun was low enough to allow him outside to appreciate it. This sunset was particularly beautiful, casting a glow of red and orange and pink over the wispy clouds of the horizon, painting the sides of the trees and nearby buildings with its colourful glow. He pondered the fleeting nature of its beauty. As intense, as brilliant as it was in the moment, it would soon fade into night as though it had never been.

The light breeze stirring the leaves and teasing his hair was warm, warm as the lingering heat of a midsummer?s day, but Buffy shivered in his arms and tugged the blanket up around her. His arms tightened reflexively, protectively around her, and though he could not see her face where it rested comfortably against his chest, he could imagine her slight, tired smile as he placed a gentle kiss into her hair.

?Spike?? she whispered, her voice weak, weary.

?Yeah, love?? he replied.

Buffy tipped her head up, caught his eyes with hers, clear and sharp as ever and greener than usual in the muted light. ?Would you tell me a story??

Booted feet caught on the space between two of the deck planks, halting the soothing, swinging motion of the bench. ?Anything in particular you have in mind??

She sighed, softly, the puff of air tickling his chin, her small fingers tracing absent-minded patterns on his chest. ?Just talk to me,? she whispered, eyes drifting shut. ?I just want to listen to your voice, for a while.?

?I can do that,? he answered her, drawing the blanket more tightly around the both of them when another slight gust of wind brought forth another chilled quiver.

She smiled up at him, though she kept her eyes tightly shut, and Spike traced a finger lightly over her lips in acknowledgement. She wasn?t unhappy these days, but her smiles were rare; rarer even than in the months following her resurrection. His motion caused it to widen, lips curling with genuine feeling, and when she gently nipped his finger, he was reminded, for the thousandth ? the millionth ? time that day alone why he had fallen in love with her.

?Right then, a story,? he murmured, the words muffled as he nuzzled her hair and stroked her cheek while Buffy whimpered in contentment.

The motion of her fingers against the fabric of his shirt stilled as he began speaking, voice low and soothing, not quite hiding the chirp of the crickets in the distance. ?Long time ago, was this girl,? he said, the hand at her cheek moving to cover hers on his chest. ?Wee slip of a thing, she was, but strong.?

?How strong?? Buffy asked, gripping tightly as he twined their fingers together. ?As strong as you??

?Stronger,? he corrected. ?See, this girl wasn? a normal girl. She was special.?

?How was she special?? Buffy wondered, her tone hinting at playfulness while her subtle smile suggested she?d certainly caught on to his subject.

?She was special in a lot of ways,? Spike replied, resuming the slow, gentle rocking of the bench swing. ?She used her strength to protect the innocents from big, bad monsters tryin? to destroy the world. But that wasn?t the special part, not really.

?She was most special in ways most others couldn?t see, or didn?t want to. Because, for all her physical strength, her true strength was inside, in her heart. She wasn?t perfect, but she tried so hard to be what everyone else wanted. Faced death and heartache every day of her life, an? came out the other side standin? tall.?

Spike paused, noting the stain of tears on her cheeks, leaning down to kiss th

2. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Epilogue

*~*

They buried Buffy the following night, at sunset, in her beloved garden behind the cottage. She had tended it herself, finding great joy in promoting life in the light of day. Several generations of children had dirtied their hands in the soil alongside Aunt Buffy, and she thrived on watching their faces light up in amazement when the tiny seeds they?d carefully planted grew and flourished. She would have made a wonderful mother, had things been different.

Spike had chosen the garden for her final resting place, next to the oak tree she?d planted herself more than fifty years ago. She had often sat out there in the mornings, enjoying the beginnings of the day with a cup of coffee and a book. Spike used to watch her from the veranda, both wishing he could join her and thankful that he could not. The garden, during the day, was her place and hers alone. It seemed only fitting that he bury her there.

Sunset was Buffy?s choice. She?d avoided the topic of her eventual death with her own particular brand of vehemence, and Spike knew that she?d hated the thought of growing old and leaving him alone. The one and only time she?d brought it up, ten years ago on a warm summer?s night not unlike her last, she refused to meet his eyes, just stared straight ahead at the dying sun and told him what she wanted.

Because sunset is when the day and the night come together, and the two supposedly separate worlds mix, she?d said, her voice quiet yet determined. It reminds me of us . . . I?m the day, you?re the night, but for a little while we can exist together. I?d like it if you did it then . . . when the time comes.

A few hours after tapping down that final shovelful of dirt, Spike sat with his back against the tree, a half-empty bottle of beer in one hand, his other caressing the cool dirt over her grave with shaking fingers. In the yard around him, the family gathered, laughing and crying and sharing stories about Buffy, and about Willow and Xander, both several years gone, and Giles, the beloved British ?uncle? remembered fondly by the second generation and the eldest few of the third. Spike had mingled amongst them for a time, but before long found himself, as always, by Buffy?s side.

?It?s a beautiful night, sweetheart,? he whispered, gesturing to the nearly full moon, whose light brightened the garden in shimmering silver, highlighted with gold from the paper lanterns strung liberally from the trees.

?Sammy?s learnt to crawl, the little scamp,? he added, smiling as the infant, Dawn?s first great-grandchild, grunted with his efforts at gaining his freedom, only to be scooped up by his vigilant mother. ?Don? worry though, love. Naomi?s watchin? him close as always.?

He sighed, head falling back against the rough bark. He?d known, of course, that choosing to make a life with Buffy would end this way, but he hadn?t been ready for it. She was eighty-six, and he hadn?t been ready. He doubted he ever would.

?Is this private party, or can I join you??

Scrubbing the tears from his face with the back of his hand, Spike tipped his head up to see Dawn standing in front of him holding a small platter of finger foods.

?Hello, Niblet,? he greeted, grinning when she scowled at the nickname, but knowing with certainty that she secretly loved it. ?Need a hand??

Dawn scoffed, and lowered herself to the grass. She wasn?t nearly as graceful as she?d once been, of course, but the care she?d taken in looking after herself showed as she comfortably settled in front of him, legs tucked to the side. She set the plate between them, taking a small sandwich for herself and gesturing for Spike to do likewise.

?When it?s my time,? Dawn began, after finishing her snack, ?I?d like to be next to her.?

Spike nodded, not trusting himself speak or even make eye contact. After just losing Buffy, he didn?t want to think about the day he?d lose Dawn, too.

?You?ll be there, won?t you?? she continued, and Spike snapped his eyes to hers, sharp with scrutiny behind her glasses. Off his look of bewilderment

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    That was so sad!! I love the way you set it up like Buffy was still young and they were just cuddling. But I'm so glad Spike still has people to live for, and that he loved Buffy and was able to be with her, and that he's not entirely alone.

Amazing [:D]

4. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Thanks :) This was made in response to a Live Journal post about sometimes in fanfic, people write Spike swearing to walk into the sun after Buffy dies, and Buffy being okay with it. This was my answer to that.

I set it up like that for a bit of a surprise ending, though a few people predicted it beforehand. I'm glad that you liked it - thanks for replying to my stories all the time. I don't get quite the same amount of notice here for Buffy as I did when I was still writing Star Wars (though that's pretty much a given, you know, Star Wars board and all).

Anyway, thanks! :D

~Abby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.