main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsabers & Blasters Building a double-bladed lightsaber

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by krowbar, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James3

James3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2006
    JR the MHS staff that I did was not ment to be split in two and I loved it. I have done some both ways and the solid staff is the way to go if you want to beat around with it. One of the next sabers I am doing will be a solid pipe from tip to tip. The big trick is the battery cover which is a idea I had quite a while back and am finally getting around to doing.

2. FETT-MAN

FETT-MAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2005
    Simply hardware sabers for me as of now. Not good with wiring and such, plus I can really only afford hardware sabers.

3. James3

James3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2006
    Fett-man The wiring part is not nearly as hard as it seems and I enjoy using the MHS stuff now cause I am lazy but hardware hilts are awesome and still should be considered the benchmark lightsabers.

4. Robal_Krahl

Robal_Krahl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 23, 2003

Dont bother explaining; Jedi-Loreen's "rude" button is stuck in the "on" position ;)

Anyway, making a double saber isnt very expensive, and inspiration can be taken from anywhere. The Big Yellow Box has a tutorial, as mentioned earlier, but you can combine that tutorial with the others on that site to get a nifty look. For example, you can add the 1 1/4" metal strap loops of Style Eight to each end of the double blade for an interesting look. Combine tutorials from all over the net, and you'll come up with some awesome ideas.

5. Darth_Bandalak

Darth_Bandalak Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 14, 2006
    I've always done the on/off switches like those of Anakin, Luke, Darth Vader, etc... So, is there any easy way I could make a button-like switch? I would rather it NOT be a real button, just the appearance of one. I guess I'm being kinda lazy, I haven't even been out to look for anything I could just screw on or anything, but I got the Master Replicas Maul FX Lightsaber and I absolutely LOVE the way the buttons look on that one....
    Just thought I'd put that in there.

6. Darth_Bandalak

Aug 14, 2006
    Also, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how I could attatch the two ends of the double-bladed saber together. I've tried couplers but they either get loose during a duel or they are too hard to get off afterwords or during a duel.

7. TheMuffin

TheMuffin Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2005
    Strong magnets?

8. Darth_Bandalak

Aug 14, 2006
    I was thinking of sanding down the outside of a male and female PVC adapter and placing them in opposing ends of the hilt. That way it would unscrew. Would this be practical(?) or idiotic as it would break easily(?)

9. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    I don't know, I was just thinking about making a solid hilt for mine. No, actually I should make it in two pieces, because it's gonna get split in my fan film.

10. Darth_Bandalak

Aug 14, 2006
    Does anyone know how Ryan W. made the two pieces screw together on "Ryan W. vs. Brandon Flyte"? Were they machined? That's the effect I'm looking for.

11. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    Well, I know that it was a snap-together twist thing. Other than that I couldn't tell much. I thought about something, though, for myself. This may or may not help you that much.

OK, so you've got your two hilts, each one has... *sigh* Trying to explain this verbally isn't going to work. I'll draw a sketch of it and post it. I'll describe it from there.

12. Darth_Bandalak

Aug 14, 2006
    Okay....

The only thing I can figure is that Ryan W.'s was machined. I've made threads before on the inside of the barrel of a replica of Vash the stampede's gun just by screwing a screw ing and then taking it out, but that's just not going to work here. Unless there are giant screws I don't know about.
    :mad:

13. TheMuffin

TheMuffin Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2005
    You're probably looking for something along the lines of Chicago couplings. You just screw one onto each side of the saber. Push the ends together and then twist. And to disengage you just turn a quarter turn and then pull apart.

Try http://www.mcmaster.com/ page #247

14. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    That's exactly what I had in mind! http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f325/FETT-MAN/hardwarecoupler.jpg

Step 1) You have your two sabers and your coupler. The sabers have these little loop things that you slide the knobs on the coupler into.

Step 2) Slide the screws in.

Step 3) Twist and walla!

Now if only I could find the right kind of loop thing and screws for the coupler. Then I only need to figure out lenghts, and how to align the activator switches.

15. DaleSabers

DaleSabers Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Might be easier if you have one of them secured in permanetly. That way you don't have to worry about losing the coupler. And plus twin sabers usually have a slight difference (just like real twins) at the pommel.

16. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    Really? How so?

17. Darth_Bandalak

Aug 14, 2006
    I already crafted the body of the lightsaber. I used two 1" pieces of 1 inch conduit pipe for the individual hilts (heavy) and conected them simply with a conduit coupler that screws to keep the two pieces of conduit together. I found two wooden dowels that fit perfectly into the conduit pipe. So perfect that when I slide them in they just stay there. The screw-on part of the coupler also helps hold the wooden dowels together, ut I'm going to use screws as well, just to be safe. And, after I put the electrical PVC around the outside of the hilt, the screws will serve as decoration as well. I'll have pictures soon.

18. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    But lightsabers are supposed to be light, not heavy.

19. Robal_Krahl

Robal_Krahl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 23, 2003

Not necessarily; the hilts can be heavy or light. It all depends on personal preference.

20. Darth_Bandalak

Aug 14, 2006
    It seems to me that a real lightsaber hilt would be quite heavy. Besides, I prefer the hilts to be heavy; it's easier to wield that way.

21. Darth_Bandalak

Aug 14, 2006
    Here are the pics of the lightsaber:
    I'll get more detailed pics of the coupler I used in the middle later.

[image=http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k72/Darth_Bandalak/Lightsabers/100_0433.jpg]

[image=http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k72/Darth_Bandalak/Lightsabers/100_0435.jpg]

[image=http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k72/Darth_Bandalak/Lightsabers/100_04562.jpg]
    After a little rotoscoping:
    [image=http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k72/Darth_Bandalak/Lightsabers/NewLightsaber.jpg]

The blade holds up quite well:
    [image=http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k72/Darth_Bandalak/Lightsabers/100_04511.jpg]

22. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    Nice. I bet it'll look a whole lot better once you get some decor on it. Keep it up!

23. Darth_Bandalak

Aug 14, 2006
    Thankyou! It will definately look better!

24. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    I've got the cast for my fan film, and I told them to begin on their sabers. I don't know when they're going to, but hopefully soon so I can teach them how to sword fight really well. I'm hoping to film around November/December because I don't know how well they fight and if they don't too well then I'm going to have to be a coach.

25. Darth_Bandalak

Aug 14, 2006
    So your going to have un-trained swordsmen, with self-crafted swords, fighting in cold weather?
    I'm not sure that would be my first choice, but its up to you.

I don't have complete control over my camera right now, but I've got the PVC cut and sanded. As soon as my camera starts doing as its told (its old) I'll have more pics up.
    GRRR....
    It looks nice though...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.