main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Building your own Lightsaber

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Nakta_Ga-mat, Apr 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nakta_Ga-mat

Nakta_Ga-mat Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2002

OK...

This is really interesting me...I don't have a big imagination and I thought someone might like to take me on as an apprentice and give me some pointers. I found some awesome specs and how-to's online but I would really like to see some others before I decide on what I want to do and perhaps get some advice and have some fun. I'm hoping to have a saber and even an outfit created before AOTC, but I'm completely lost.

HELP :eek:

2. Joseph_Orion

Joseph_Orion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    Terry (jedi pilot) built his own lightsaber and it looks like the real deal, it's awesome! You oughta talk to him. Also Tim (kitarusapien) built one that is just... i can't even describe it..you just have to see it for yourself and i think everyone at the last meeting will agree. Jeff, (Darth Hair) is like the prop MASTER. He could probably open his own prop shop. He's built so many things already in such a little time. Any of those guys could definitely help you.

3. Obi_Wannabe

Obi_Wannabe Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 17, 2002
    Boy, are you going to love our leader, Kitarusapien. When he comes on and chimes in, you'll know what I mean.

Welcome, we have a great diverse group who can more than help you with tips on those needs.

Unfortunately i can't :)

4. chunk_the_jawa

chunk_the_jawa Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 8, 2002
  5. Joseph_Orion

Nov 9, 2001
    Right, Chunk has a double bladed that he did that looks pretty good too! Most everyone except for me and Michael can help you do costuming stuff... lol btw, I want one of those dvd's...where do i send my money!!!! lol

6. chunk_the_jawa

Feb 8, 2002
    thanks JO? its not the best but it was fun to do.

7. Joseph_Orion

Nov 9, 2001
    It looked pretty fun too.

8. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    Ive wondered about that also- is there a site that has info or should I just wait & meet some of you at the convention ?

9. Joseph_Orion

Nov 9, 2001
    I believe there's a site called "the big yellow box" or something. If i called it something totally wrong, it's not my fault lol I just heard Terry and Jeff say something like that at one time or another. Apparently it's a place where they teach you how to make stuff. I wouldn't know. I'm too lazy to do that stuff haha

10. chunk_the_jawa

Feb 8, 2002
    http://bigyellowbox.tripod.com/

11. Joseph_Orion

Nov 9, 2001
    ah, so I was right, thanks my bacon munchin buddy! :)

12. Nakta_Ga-mat

Apr 8, 2002

If you go to http://bigyellowbox.tripod.com/ you can check out some cool specs for simple plans at pretty cheap prices to make your own lightsaber...I'm really wanting to check out and at least attempt number VIII but we'll see. Suddenly, I'm really stoked about it, I can't wait...I keep telling my wife I'm gonna go out and get some parts and she keeps reminding me that we're packing up to move and we wouldn't have room for the stuff. I am just trying to be patient...but believe me, when I finally arrive in CS, I'll be going crazy trying to figure out how to build one and make the costumes. Oh yeah, and by the way, do you guys do any fanfilms? I'm interested and thought I'd check.

13. chunk_the_jawa

Feb 8, 2002
    thats where I got my basic ideas from and I just got all crazy from there.

14. Joseph_Orion

Nov 9, 2001
    a handful, some, most, almost all, i think, of us are lol if that made any sense. I know Jedi Girl, JD, Jen and quite a few others are planning on doing a fanfilm. It's going to be awesome...because our fearless leader won't settle for anything less than spectacular (one of the reasons he's our city rep). I guarantee you'll have fun out here with us. Like i said, most of us except maybe Obi-Wannabe and I are into costuming and stuff. We have subgroups and I'll post up something by the end of today besides the recap, of our groups and what it is and stuff and see if you want to belong to any of those "side groups" But to answer your question, Yes, there is a fanfilm in development as we speak...hurry and move down here and be a part of it!!! :)

15. Nakta_Ga-mat

Apr 8, 2002
    You guys...I'm telling you I am getting wound up here...I'm about to just quit my job right now and move on up there...were it not for the fact that I have prior commitments with the Army I'd be there now. My wife is gonna wonder what in the world has come over me.

16. Joseph_Orion

Nov 9, 2001
    What are your plans if you don't mind me asking? Why colorado? and When? lol :)

17. Nakta_Ga-mat

Apr 8, 2002
    Recently I accepted a call to be a Nazarene Pastor. The Nazarene Bible College is located in CS. I'm not sure on how this group is on real faith issues, so I won't get into Thology and everything...It just comes down to the fact that I am doing what I believe to be God's will for my life...

I'm moving from Ft. Knox, KY, quitting my job working at the United States Army Recruiting Command HQ and moving over there with no idea where to find a job, where finances are gonna come from...I'm just taking a step on faith. We'll be there May 1, just in time to watch Spider-man and then ease myself into preparing for AOTC.

18. Joseph_Orion

Nov 9, 2001
    We only believe in the FORCE here hehe j/k! :) But no, that's really great. Our group welcomes you with open arms. We hope you find something here in colorado so that you can stay!!! But as you say, you will go where you hear your calling :) Welcome again and hope to see you at the showing!

19. Obi_Wannabe

Obi_Wannabe Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 17, 2002
    Welcome again!

As far as I know, everything's cool here, religion's not a factor, we have no religious component, and no one's beliefs will be shown intolerence. Everyone is welcome.

Even Spiderman fans, i'm very much looking forward to seeing that!

20. chunk_the_jawa

Feb 8, 2002
    yea what he said.
    EXCEPT THE SPIDERMAN PART.

21. kitarusapien

kitarusapien Former RMFF CR star 6 VIP

Nov 19, 2001
    GMat....! Glad to hear you've decided to come on over and join the group.....yea, we try to keep the religion and/or politics over on the Senate boards, but we are probably one of the most non-prejudice groups you'll ever meet! What we do have is an intense appreciation for SW, and we run the gamut as far as knowledge, building, gaming, costuming, fanfilm....yu name it, we got our grubby, WolfHound paws all over it....and POSTIN!!!!! We post like there ain't no tomorrow(did we take INDY, yet!?)

Now as to the lightsaber....if yu want to build, yu can go really cheap, as CHUNK did, and use heavy cardboard tubing with bits of material added here and there, and a healthy dosing of paint....his double-saber hilt is really coming along!!!! If yu want to go metal, simply get three aluminum tubes that fit one inside the other snugly.....bevel-cut two them in different form, both being shorter than the longest, central tube, add a cap on one end, a clip, a mirror and/or crystal config in the other end, and you've pretty much got a good hilt. As to purchasing, hands-down, the CF hilts are the best for very little money, and you can get coloured acrylic blades for only 25 extra id you buy one of the hilts. Our past leader Obey Wann made a very nice hilt from the "Big Yellow Box", so you can go that route as well!!! If you want to light the blade of the unit, I suggest simply that yu buy one the of Creative Force hilts, get a length of 3"x38" EL tape from GLOWIRE, install a switch, put the inverter and twin 9V's in the hilt and yur done...since the acrylic rods are removeable, keep one plain for daylight ops, and cover the other in the EL tape with contact cement so that yu can install it with the quick-disconncts and set-screws!

22. Nakta_Ga-mat

Apr 8, 2002
    Thanks for the advice...I will gladly take it to heart...

Maybe I will be able to make it to the May meeting and you can show me yours and give me the low down on how you did it...(I would enjoy a visual example)

I am fascinated with Obi-Wan's from TPM but because they made it out of Anodized Aluminum, I have no chance of even trying it by myself...I've seen some ideas and will probably check them out...

23. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    You got tools bro? If so you're my new favorite member, lol. I got some cool ideas based on what I've seen at big yellow box, problem is I just don't have any power tools to do the work with (mainly I just need a dremel).

I'm at Pete AFB here in the Springs, so if you ever wanna get together to work on stuff, let me know. Also Darth Hair, Jedi Pilot, and Kitarusapien are all good w/ the prop/lightsaber building (You should see JP's lightsaber, he used ideas from BYB and his looks really sweet!)

24. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    WE ARE HAVING ANOTHER COSTUMING AND PROPS THINGIE AT KITS HOUSE AFTER THE NEXT MEETING . MABEY YOU COULD GO . CHUNK ,CORY ,TERRY AND TIM HAVE ALL MADE KILLER SABERS . JEN AND I BOUGHT OURS .

THIS GROUP IS COOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

25. chunk_the_jawa

Feb 8, 2002
    thank you DH and :p to JD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.