main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania Building your own lightsabre.

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Darth_Kennerado, Apr 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Kennerado

Darth_Kennerado Jedi Youngling

Mar 21, 2002
    I wanted to make my own lightsabre so i looked at some american sites but i couldn't find any of the parts over here in Australia.
    So, can someone please be so kind as to tell me how i can build a saber from aussie parts.
    cheers.

2. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    A broom handle. Cut it in half.

Black electrical tape for the handle

Red, blue or green cellophane for the blade.

Live long and prosper my friend.

3. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000

I could be wrong, but I think DK might be after something a little more ... authentic looking?

4. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    ...And drink a large bottle of vodka in 2 mins.

happy, Oz?

5. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000

Alcohol and lightsabers DO NOT mix.

You'll end up losing an arm, or something.

Look at the cantinas in SW...

Lots of alcohol.

Add a lightsaber ... someone ALWAYS loses an arm.

:p

6. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Yeah, I don't recommend playing JK2 drunk. Kyle could be mighty PO'ed if you chop his arm off with his own saber... :p

7. Teknobabel

Teknobabel Jedi Master star 5

Jun 4, 2000
    1) Go to your nearest hardware store that sells metal pipes, get a suitable length of 30mm pipe, use this as the basis for your handle, grab some balsa wood and glue and decorate it to suit your needs. Paint may be needed here as well
    2) Practise making the "wruuummmmm" and "bzzt" noises with your lips.
    3)for best results practice in front of a mirror
    4) or if you really want to make a saber, browse your way to the props forum over in fan activities, where you will find folk who know what they are talking about :D

8. FaLLeN-AnGeL

FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    You can go with the broomstick idea. Just try and replicate the "handle" using electrical tape or something like that, wrap up the "blade" part in whatever colour tape you want/can get your hands on, and there you go. Then you can have battles with all your friends who also have them and it doesn't matter how hard you hit (unless you miss and hit knuckles) because all you have to replace is the electrical tape.

Then you get someone with a camera (digital preferred) and someone who is handy with PhotoShop/PaintShop and this site and you can make them look real (Go here for examples). Or you just take a photo of someone, give them a handle from this site and add the blade in yourself. (Go here for an example).

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the site where you can look at the handles for the lightsabres from contains spoilers. Sorry :)

9. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000

A bit of lightsaber trivia: the sound guys on TPM noticed a weird humming noise in the duel scenes - they found out it was Ewan McGregor making lightsaber noises while he was fighting...

10. Teknobabel

Jun 4, 2000
    Yeah, but everyone did that, liam said so on the making of doco on the dvd, hayden got told off by george for doing it, who could resist?

SPOILERS:

Making the lightsaber for Christopher Lee's character is going to be a puzzler, i've found a suitable iece of metal but it's bent in the middle rather than at the ends, so that's going to be a bit of trouble i don't need this close to may 16th

11. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    Buy one at KMart. You can get Count Dooku's blade, Anakin's or Obi-Wan's and they have lights and nopises, all for just $68!!!!

12. Darth_Soup

Darth_Soup Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 15, 2001
    The problem with the purchased ones is that they are kids toys....... they are nowhere near the correct size and look stupid if you try to hang them off a costume....

13. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    ^ Thats a good point - I did happen to think that they looked a bit bulky, and felt way too 'blade-hevy' if you know what I mean.

Ubforuntely, I don't think I can find anything else as a substitute.

Unless I make my own using stuff from the hardware store or something.

14. BibFortuna

BibFortuna Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 22, 2002
    well u could go to a camping store and get one of those really long bug zappers. they come in lotsa bright colours. Then attach em to a metal pole for a handle (really strong glue might be needed). Also if u use it at night u wont have to make any noises, there are plenty of bugs around, bzzt...bzzt. lol

15. FaLLeN-AnGeL

Dec 3, 2001
    Hahaha I love that idea!

16. Teknobabel

Jun 4, 2000
    I've got the piece of metal the right shape for dooku's saber, and besides, making your own looks so much more fanboy, as well as being able to clip to a belt

17. BibFortuna

Apr 22, 2002
    just out of interest... has anyone actually attempted to make any of the above lightsabres??????

18. FaLLeN-AnGeL

Dec 3, 2001
    Well, we made the broomstick/electrical tape ones...

19. Teknobabel

Jun 4, 2000
    I've started making dooku's one, slowly but surely

20. Darth_Kennerado

Darth_Kennerado Jedi Youngling

Mar 21, 2002
    Thanks for your suggestions guys, i went with the broomstick idea and put in the effects on my comp.

21. Ki-Bara-Mundi

Ki-Bara-Mundi Jedi Master star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    I've made nerf sabres. Good for if you've got kids who love Star Wars and want to duel. I'm also in the middle of making a prop hilt out of PVC pipe and attatchments, a mobile phone belt clip, a pen, windscreen wiper blades, and some silver and black paint. :D

22. Darth-Tom

Darth-Tom Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2001
    bah, stuff it.

23. BibFortuna

Apr 22, 2002
    for any1 and evry1 who went 2 the midnight premiere, did u take a "home-made" lightsabre or store bought. just wondering...
    (im trying not to imagine a bunch of people with multi-coloured broomsticks :p )

24. Kehleyr

Kehleyr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    I bought Count Dooku's and a normal one...

25. Teknobabel

Jun 4, 2000
    I took my hand made Dooku saber, and i'm right annoyed cos in the poster's and in the film, it lookd about half the size i made mine

Back to the bloody drawing board

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.