main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Burger King to McDonald’s: Let’s Make a ‘McWhopper’

Discussion in 'Community' started by danmcken, Aug 26, 2015.

1. danmcken

danmcken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 7, 2003
    [​IMG]
    Burger King’s mascot, “The Burger King,” is seeking a truce, albeit temporary, with Ronald McDonald.
    In full-page ads running in The New York Times and The Chicago Tribune on Wednesday, Burger King, a perennial also-ran in the burger races, has asked McDonald’s, its battered but still potent archrival, to join forces.
    The goal? To operate one restaurant for one day staffed by employees of both companies and selling a burger called the McWhopper, a blend of the Big Mac and the Whopper, the best-selling burgers at McDonald’s and Burger King.
    Sales proceeds would be donated to Peace One Day, a nonprofit group seeking to raise awareness of the International Day of Peace, which was established by the United Nations General Assembly in 1981 for the opening of its annual meeting.
    The United Nations later set Sept. 21 as the day to celebrate world peace, and Burger King proposes opening the pop-up store on that day in a parking lot between a McDonald’s and a Burger King in Atlanta.
    “Corporate activism on this scale creates mass awareness and awareness creates action and action saves lives,” Jeremy Gilley, founder of Peace One Day, said in a video posted on the website, mcwhopper.com, that Burger King is using to explain its proposal.
    No Burger King executive was available for comment, but in a news release, Fernando Machado, the company’s senior vice president for global brand management, urged McDonald’s to help “make history and generate a lot of noise around Peace Day.”
    McDonald’s declined to comment.
    Burger King is now part of a Canadian-based company called Restaurant Brands International, which was created by the private equity group 3G Capital when it merged the burger chain with Tim Hortons, a Canadian restaurant chain.
    The new owner cut costs, as it often does when it acquires a company, quickly improving the battered burger chain’s financial performance.
    Improving sales proved a bigger challenge, and for a time last year, Burger King even ceded its position as the world’s No. 2 burger chain to Wendy’s.
    The business has now recovered, though, posting a 6.7 percent gain in sales at stores open at least a year in the second quarter, which ended June 30. Management attributed the gains in part to the success of menu additions like a pulled pork sandwich and the return of the popular Chicken Fries.
    In the proposed pop-up shop, employees from both companies would wear special uniforms, and the burgers they would serve might blend the Big Mac’s top bun (Burger King, not surprisingly, calls it a “crown”) and Big Mac sauce with the tomato slices and 4-ounce meat patty from the Whopper, among other things.
    One sticking point might be the ketchup. McDonald’s famously stopped using Heinz ketchup when 3G bought the company, and Burger King has suggested using it on the McWhopper.
    And there’s no word about which of the chains would supply fries

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Cheese, bacon, lettuce, tomato, mayo, mustard, onions, mushrooms, pickles, ketchup, walnuts, asparagus, eggplant, sprouts, fried egg, a waffle, Steve Winwood's greatest hits, philips head screwdriver, a half grapefruit, three drops of my own blood, a gerbil, the hair of three tarantulas, a whole grapefruit, sunflower seeds, the declaration of independence, green pepper, olive oil, the theory of relativity and ham... on a wheat bun, or gtfo.

3. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Sounds like Burger Kings last throw of the dice before they go bust?

Darth-Lando likes this.
  4. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    ewwwwwwwwwwwww noooooo that is so wrong I like the whopper but the Big Mac is nasty

its going to ruin the whopper

5. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Translated: Let's join forces and **** kids more than they do at Subway

deathraygun likes this.
  6. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    This scheme is so elaborate and so long in the making, a dedicated user for it account was already created 12 years ago.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  7. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    McDonalds is in a no win situation here. Accept, and they look like BK's stooge and get little of the good kumbaya buzz because it wasn't their idea. Decline, and they look greedy and stuffy. Well played, your highness. Well played.

BTW, that Peace One Day group. Doing a bang-up job. I'm sure this restaurant détente will be just the ticket to reverse thousands of years of human nature.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  8. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Tear down this wall, Mr. McDonald!

9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    What does the McWhopper smell like?

Desperation.

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
  11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Well, that didn't last long.

12. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    good. i hate world peace.

and you have enough fast "food" as it is.

EmpireForever and Ender Sai like this.
  13. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Just call it a McCrapper because that's where you'll spend all your time after eating one.

McD's does make a okay coffee though for the price.

14. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I would have loved to try a McWhopper.

15. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
  16. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Of course you would, Tunes.

I'm glad to see American companies are tackling big issues by way of piecemeal contributions to CSR and how they offset any good they do by ensuring the propensity for Americans for high cholesterol, diabetes, obesity and heart disease remains fixed at "yeppppp".

Tunes, actually, do me a favour. For your next breakfast, i want you to pan sautee some kale with garlic and a bit of haloumi, and tell me how it goes.

17. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Nah, no one really cares anyway and this will be forgotten in a day or so

18. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The coffee of both suck to high heaven.

Falcon likes this.
  19. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    ewwwwwwwww imagine all that grease

20. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  21. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Kale and bacon "salad" doesn't count.

Ender Sai, DarthTunick and jp-30 like this.
  22. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The excessive consumption represented by fast food giants is going to kill off most of our species, so world peace will be achieved. Thanks, Mickey-Dee's and BK!

23. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I hope someone does a response thing where the King snarls threateningly in response "Fine. Have it your way!"

24. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

"I'll have, um, kale, fried egg, bacon - double serve, barbeque sauce, ranch dressing, um, fries, cheese, um, more cheese..."

Falcon likes this.
  25. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Not that it matters much, but it was a kale Caesar salad. :p