main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Burn Marks

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by collateral, Mar 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. collateral

collateral Jedi Youngling

Mar 9, 2008
    I know, this has already been discussed too, but I did try before I ask for help. I watched the tutorial from Kaat on youtube, but I am so confused. I want the outcome to look like Kaat's, with the glow and stuff, not just a black smudge.

Can someone please post a link to a site that has this tutorial and it's like Kaat's? Thanks and sorry to ask questions that have already been answered, I'm special.

2. collateral

Mar 9, 2008
    *bump*

someone please help.

3. Vidina

Vidina Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2006
    discussed only a few days ago.
    http://boards.theforce.net/fan_films/b10015/28170662/p1/?1

4. collateral

Mar 9, 2008
    I was wanting one that has a video. That is just very confusing.

5. Vidina

Jan 11, 2006
    If you're willing to wait, I'm working on one that gives similar results to RvD2, kaat's example and TPM.

6. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 18, 2006
    The only tutorials that I know of for this are Kaats and the one that Vidina is working on.

But while we are on the subject (and rather than start a new thread), perhaps you folks can take a look at the burn mark test shot that I made and let me know what you think, what else it needs, etc. It was made to be a downward slash of the lightsaber, so thats the perspective I was looking for in this test.

http://www.vimeo.com/779679

I look forward to your tutorial Vidina.

7. Wookieefett

Wookieefett Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 22, 2005
    This is what everyone, including me, would want... 3 awesome burn marks compacted into one ultimate super-tutorial!
    You need to come onto MSN, gotta send you the burn mark I made a while ago...

8. collateral

Mar 9, 2008
    yeap I will wait also. My msn is frap3@hotmail.com if you can send me a message or something whenever you got it ready. Thanks m8.

9. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 18, 2006
    Post it here, so we can all check it out

10. Wookieefett

Dec 22, 2005
    The actual metallic part is pro, but I gotta refine the glows to look a bit more realistic.

EDIT: The tutorial will be posted in both this thread, and on the Aurellia thread we got here... Alternatively you could send us some cash in order to speed up the process! We could get something to you by tomorrow! Hehe.

11. Vidina

Jan 11, 2006
    hardly see that happening. I'd have to quit my job in order to make that work :p

But yeah, burnmark is coming along quite nicely on my end too, the only issue I'm facing is that it's kinda hard to make it realistically burn on a wooden wall. I mean, the RvD2 burnmarks are somewhat easy to copy, but they're based on metal, not wood. I'm guessing wood would (...a woodchuck chuck...) ignite and set on fire, which is terribly hard to do, so for the tutorial(s) on aurellia, we'll be having 2 burnmark tuts. One for metal walls, and one for wooden walls. Once that is completed.

12. FXTutorials

FXTutorials Jedi Youngling

Jun 10, 2008
    Okay, I bought the RVD2 behind the scenes DVD and pretty much nailed the burn marks. Check out my tutorial (text, not video) here.

Sorry, if this doesn't help.

13. stealth9908

stealth9908 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2006
    I dont think wood would actually ignite. Depending on the amount of time the blade is actually touching the wood, the area around the blade may blacken and smoke but I dont think it would actually produce flames. If you think about it, when a blade strikes a metal wall it basically "moves" the metal out of the way. That is why you get the build up around the mark. With wood, it would probably burn up and turn to ash due to the immense heat.

14. GameMaster

GameMaster Jedi Youngling

Aug 12, 2006
    Some tutorials :

http://boards.theforce.net/fan_films/b10015/28170662/p1/?1
    http://boards.theforce.net/fan_films/b10015/28079826/p1/?17
    http://boards.theforce.net/fan_films/b10015/28133516/p1/?0

15. FilipeMonteiro

FilipeMonteiro Jedi Youngling

Jun 10, 2008
    On my tutorial I forgot to mention that you were supposed to duplicate the mask and make it a subtraction one. Then, mess around the mask expansion so that you get the hole.

16. Vidina

Jan 11, 2006
    I will have mine available in a few weeks time. HD footage to go along with it aswell, and Thanks to Ben (Wookieefett), we've got a metal wall this time around, so it'll look pro too :p

17. Wookieefett

Dec 22, 2005
    Aren't we doing a version for both metal and a normal wall?

18. Vidina

Jan 11, 2006
    pfft. Wood is complicated. Look up some burned wood images, and you'll know why :p

19. Wookieefett

Dec 22, 2005
    Lots of fire and black stuff... Shouldn't be too hard, you just need stock footage!

20. FXTutorials

Jun 10, 2008
    [face_thinking] I don't think it would burn. Have you ever used a wood burner? It just makes black marks and smokes a lot. Of course, who am I to compare a wood burner with... a more elegant weapon for a more civilized age?

21. Vidina

Jan 11, 2006
    I'm not saying it would burn for a long time, but there would be some ignition going on, lasting for half a second or so, due to the nature of the blade itself. The flames would also not be traditional long ones, but rather, small, super heated ones.

22. Wookieefett

Dec 22, 2005
    Ah, we should do a tutorial on that!
    The majority of burn marks imitating RvD2's on YouTube are on a non-metal wall...

I could probably film some stock footage somewhere if need be. If not, Majed's our man!

23. FXTutorials

Jun 10, 2008
    Will this work? I know it's just an image but, hey. I found it at textures.forrest.cz.

[image=http://textures.forrest.cz/library/wood/Barnwod1.jpg]

24. Wookieefett

Dec 22, 2005
    Thanks, but I filmed some footage of myself slicing up a wall in my house a few months ago that Vidina now has...
    Just in case we decide to do this tutorial...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.