1. A Message For Everyone:

TCW vs. Rebels debates are not allowed in the Television forum. As in, discussions that descend into TCW/Rebels bashing/gushing will be subject to Mod action. Contrasting the themes, story lines, characters, etc. between the shows is allowed (welcomed, even). "Versus" debates/arguments, however, are a deal-breaker.

Burning a Clone Wars VCD or SVCD

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by 1010101, Nov 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1010101 Jedi Youngling

I was going to write my own guide to doing this, but there are already decent ones online, so I'm just going to point people to them.

If you don't know what a VCD is, I suggest you go read this. If you don't know what an SVCD is, read this.

Anyway, for information on how to convert your downloaded Clone Wars chapters into VCD format, read this guide.

For information on how to convert your downloaded chapters into SVCD format, read this guide.

For either guide, I'd not select the "NTSC Film" option in TMPGEnc because the Clone Wars chapter downloads are encoded at 30 frames per second. Also, you don't really need to mess with the "Source Range" at all, unless you want to crop out the opening Clone Wars logo or the ending Cartoon Network logo. Lastly, you don't need to mess with the Bitrate as all ten chapters will fit on one disc with the default settings.

Note that TMPGEnc only gives you a limited time to use the MPEG-2 encoding portion of the program (used to make SVCDs), so either get it done before the free trial expires, buy the program, or use some other (perhaps nefarious) means.

To burn your chapters as a VCD or SVCD, I recommend VCDEasy. You can find a guide on how to do that here. The last freeware version of VCDEasy can be downloaded by clicking here.

Good luck!
  2. JediTrilobite Jedi Master

star 7
    There was a thread like this that was closed. I don't have a VCD Burner, so I can't burn a copy of it. :(
  3. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    VCD's are burned with a regular CD burner drive, actually.
  4. Mc-Lan Jedi Padawan

star 4
    can a SVCD be burned with a cd burner?

This post made possible by Mc-Lan :cool:

5. 1010101 Jedi Youngling

I'm watching one I burnt with a regular CD burner right now :). And let me tell you, my Clone Wars SVCD looks better than it looks coming over my crappy cable TV connection, too.
  6. 1010101 Jedi Youngling

As a follow-up to what I originally posted, you don't need to mess with the "Video Arrange Method" in TMPGEnc because the aspect ratio comes out correct if you just use the "Full screen" option.

I also recommend going to the "Video" tab of the "Other Settings" window and for "Motion search precision", select "Highest quality (very slow)". As the option suggests, it really slows down the process, but it's worth it in the long run.
  7. dp4m Chosen One

star 10
    As a note: this is okay for now.

However, if it delves into "How do I get a VCD of the show?" it'll be locked pretty quickly. Backups == good. Piracy == bad.

Mmm'kay?

:)
  8. TheInevitable Jedi Youngling

Thank you! My kids are going to LOVE having this on one disk!

9. DarthMak Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Crap, my TMPGenc free trial ran out a couple months ago. :mad:
  10. 1010101 Jedi Youngling

You could still make a VCD with it, even if the trial period has expired. That, or look for a different piece of software to do the conversion (I've heard good things about EO Video, which has a 30 day trial period for conversions).
  11. Mc-Lan Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Do you need anything special to burn VCDs with a CD burner?

This post made possible by Mc-Lan :cool:

12. Indy3 Jedi Knight

star 5
    SVCD ofcourse

go to

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/nerosvcd.htm

for help

!!!
  13. Naboo1 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    If you have a DVD Recorder it's pretty easy to make a copy directly off the broadcast. ;)
  14. 1010101 Jedi Youngling

Mc-Lan, using those guides I posted, you'll find all the software you need (all of which are free). Other than that, you need a a regular old CD burner. No special hardware at all.
  15. Indy3 Jedi Knight

star 5
    is there a quicktime plugin for NERO
  16. Darth-Malt-Liquor Jedi Youngling

Great Question Indy. And I am still wondering why my topic was locked and it was no different from this one?????????????
  17. Blackout Jedi Master

star 4
    is there a quicktime plugin for NERO
    Well, I'm using the trial version of TMPGEnc with the QT -plugin (as described in the DVDRHelp guide) to encode the files, and then Nero to burn the encoded files to SVCD, so that Nero can get straight on with it.

At first I would have preferred Nero to auto encode them, but having used it, TMPGEnc gives you greater control over the final output.

Is good, trust me :)

{||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  18. Jedi-Finney Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm sorry, we don't encourage piracy here. As always, backups == good; piracy == bad. Thanks!
  19. Jedi-Finney Jedi Master

star 4
    how is what i asked piracy? sheesh! you got people talking about making vcds, thats more illegal than having HQ files...
  20. jedivalens Jedi Master

star 4
    Anyway, for information on how to convert your downloaded Clone Wars chapters into VCD format, read this guide.

For information on how to convert your downloaded chapters into SVCD format, read this guide.

Those words have piracy written all over them if you ask me!
  21. JediMasterGuff Jedi Master

star 5
    It's not piracy if you're not selling them or giving them away or anything. You already have the files on disk from HS, you just want to put it on disk. That's not piracy.
  22. WraithLead Jedi Master

star 3
    SVCD looks better than VCD, but not much IMO. TMPEG lets you go with the free one to do VCD's as long as you want, but can only to SVCD's during the trial period. This is because the basic version isn't a trial, it's freeware. The upgraded one that does SVCD is what costs money. I've never used it beyond seeing if it could work, though, because my dvd player is old and can't read burned cds. boohoo. i'd imagine that vcds on your tv would be pretty cool. and i don't think it's piracy if you paid for the subscription service on starwars.com, and just wanted to watch on your tv...
  23. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 10
    Having got a DVD player for Christmas, I'm now in the process of burning my Clone Wars AVIs (yes, I'm a paid up Hyperspace member) to SVCD.

I'm following the instructions above and on various tutorial sites - I even have a custom title screen and menu (courtesy Nero), BUT all my episodes have no sound.

Reading up it looks like I'll have to extract the audio track from the MOV files, save as a WAV and reconstruct them - but is there a way, using TMPGEng with the QT plugin, that the Clone Wars MOV audio tracks can be encoded at the same time as the video encoding?

Maybe all I need is a new CODEC? :(

Anyone have this no-audio problem, and know of a simpler way to fix it than extracting the audio to a WAV file?

24. dp4m Chosen One

star 10
    Hurm... I thought there was an easy way to convert AVI to SVCD-MPEG so long as the aspect ratio was "okay"...
  25. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 10
    Yeah, but the CW cartoons are all in MOV (QT) format, not AVI (despite what I wrote in the 1st sentence of my above post!) :p

My chaptered, menued CW SVCD is perfect and was pretty simple to make, except of course that the lack of audio detracts a little. :(

I know I can get everythig working by extracting the cartoon's audio to WAV and rejoining the two at the SVCD building stage, but that's very time consuming, and as it would appear that 101010 above didn't seem to encounter the problem, I'm hoping he (or someone else) can steer me in the right direction...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.