Beyond Burning Bright * UDC7 * Week 20 posted 14/Jun (complete)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Hazel, Jan 29, 2013.

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Title: Burning Bright
    Author: Hazel
    Summary: Mara Jade-centric drabbles
    Genre: drama, introspection, romance, humor, etc.
    Characters: Mara Jade, Luke Skywalker, etc.
    Disclaimer: Star Wars belongs to G.L and Uncle Scrooge.
    Notes: Written for the Ultimate Drabble Challenge 7.

Week One

Baby

She was her daddy's little baby. His little princess, his little angel, his little girl. He still found it hard to believe he had participated in making such a precious being.

How fortunate he felt while watching his little baby Mara sleeping in her mother's arms. Despite the dark times the galaxy faced and the death that followed them everywhere, there was still light to be found. There was still hope, there had to be.

Collecting the baby from her mother's arms, he held her close against his heart and silently vowed to never let any harm come to her.

Child

Mara was an adventurous child. She liked to pretend she was an explorer, sent by a secret organization to go where no one had gone before. That explained why she moved around a lot. It wasn't because the dark man chased her family; it was because they were secret explorers sent by the secret organization. That was what her daddy said and Mara always believed her daddy.

She knew she couldn't tell anyone else about their secret adventures - only to mommy and daddy. Mommy had said so.

Her exploits ended the day the dark man caught up with them.

Teenager

There was something void inside of Mara. Even though she was a teenager, she was not an ordinary one. She was an extension of her master's will and she did his bidding unquestioningly.

It was the right thing to do.

At every command the hollowness grew larger, but she didn't notice since the will of the Emperor overtook all her senses.

But sometimes in the dead of night, an ever-growing sense of cold would wake her from her sleep and, for a fleeting moment, she remembered what it was like to live with the warmth of someone who loved her.

Adult

The cold night and the furiously blowing wind made the young adult woman seek shelter in a sleazy cantina lost in the middle of a no-man's town situated in an outer rim world.

'How the mighty have fallen?' She thought bitterly. Just a year ago she had been on top of her world. She held the Emperor's trust and she had her whole life ahead of her. Now look at her, a vagrant struggling to survive the freezing night.

It was all that Jedi's fault. Once again she vowed to fulfill her master's final command.

'You will kill Luke Skywalker.'

Elderly

She could not remember ever being so hot and so cold in her life. The fever consumed her body and her mind, mixing her dreams and her memories in a soup of hallucinations. Her past and her present mingled with visions of a future. She saw herself as an old woman, standing on a terrace next to an elderly man with bright blue eyes. He spoke to her and his voice blended with voices from another time - a chorus saying 'I love you, Mara.'

She didn't realize it then but when the fever finally broke, Mara began to heal.

Yay, first set of drabbles ever [face_dancing]
    Last edited by Hazel, Jun 14, 2013
    AzureAngel2 likes this.
  2. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Blisses! [face_dancing]
    Beautiful & accurate portrayals of Mara. =D= [:D] !!
    Last edited by Jade_eyes, Jan 29, 2013
    Hazel likes this.
  3. ginchy Force Ghost

star 4
    Ooh very nice! I'm excited you're doing the drabble challenge!! I especially loved "Baby" and "Teenager".
    Hazel likes this.
  4. Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic Manager

Manager
    star 5
    Beautiful! I can't wait to read more of these Mara-centric drabbles.
    Hazel likes this.
  5. mayo_durron_666 Force Ghost

star 1
    I found the Baby, Child & Teenager bits really intriguing. :)
    Just imagining Mara so little, innocent & vulnerable was sweet & sad at same time..
    Nice job! ;)
    Hazel and Jade_eyes like this.
  6. taramidala Force Ghost

star 4
    Caught this over on FF.N earlier. Lovely, Hazel! :)
    Hazel likes this.
  7. EmeraldJediFire Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    This was beautiful...I did like the baby part...but I am partial to her vision of her with the elderly man with blue eyes (I'm a sucker for Luke what can I say)
    Jade_eyes and Hazel like this.
  8. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks Jade!! [:D]

Yeah, i decided to give this a try and poke my muse. Thanks!

I can't wait to find out about the next set of prompts.

Mara's early life is a sad one. Fortunately she met Luke and [face_love]

Thank you! [:D]

Yeah, Mara drabbles are not complete without Luke.
    Jade_eyes and EmeraldJediFire like this.
  9. lukemaraben Jedi Master

star 1
    Little Mara is so cute. Great job.
    Hazel likes this.
  10. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    She is, isn't she! Thanks!
  11. earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost

star 6
    Lovely how you show us a young Mara
    Hazel likes this.
  12. DaenaBenjen42 Force Ghost

star 5
    Loved 'em, Hazel. :) Especially Adult with the sleazy cantina.
    Hazel likes this.
  13. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    :) Thanks earlybird! I hope to show you Mara at every stage if i get the proper prompts.

Thanks Daena! [:D] I'm glad you liked it.
  14. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Week Two - Healthy, Injured, Sick, Stressed, Frustrated

Healthy

Mara had always been a healthy person. She hardly ever got the flu or felt nauseated, she could endure every single headache with only a simple painkiller. She had never called in sick in her life - not while working for the Empire, not while working in all those slimy places after the Emperor's death, not while working for Karrde or for the Smugglers Alliance, and most certainly not after becoming a Jedi.

As a matter of fact, she hadn't been to a doctor in years, if she didn't count those annoying mandatory checkups.

So why was this happening now?

Injured

It was true that she had been injured enough times in the line-of-duty and, for most of those injuries, she had to be committed to a medical facility, but that was it, and as of late she didn't even need that much. She'd just use the Force to heal herself the way Luke had taught her to do. It was definitely more comfortable than having to stay put in some medical ward somewhere.

Mara really hated medical wards. It wasn't that she had anything against them, per say, but she'd just rather stay the hell away from them.

She groaned.

Sick

Mara had started feeling sick about two weeks earlier. She felt this overall weariness and nausea that kept her from performing her usual duties to the Jedi and the Academy.

At first she had tried to hide it from her husband, but Luke was too attentive to not notice. When he realized she wasn't getting better, he made her promise to go see a healer. He even made the appointment for her.

He would be damned if he allowed Mara to not take proper care of herself. If he had to, he would drag his wife to the healer's office.

Stressed

As she waited her turn at the healer's ward, Mara was sure she had never felt so stressed before. She knew this wait was normal and that Cilghal was a very busy healer but still, couldn't they just get on with it? Luke was no help to her. Even though he appeared his usual calm self, she could feel his nervousness boiling under the surface.

When they finally got in, it took Cilghal a whole of two minutes to diagnose Mara.

"Mara, you are pregnant." The Mon Cal informed matter-of-factly.

What?!

Just as Mara frowned, Luke beamed at the news.

Frustrated

It took a while for Mara to get used to being pregnant. She was happy, she really was, but the fact that it was completely unplanned made her feel so unprepared for the task.

It didn't help that Luke was so overprotective. Everywhere she went and everything she did, he was there 'helping' her when she didn't need any help. His sister was even worse, offering advice Mara hadn't asked for and buying stuff that Mara didn't even know she needed.

Mara knew that she had to put a stop to this or risk being one very frustrated pregnant woman.

I bet you all thought I was referring to the cursed Vong disease, didn't you? But in my head canon, the Vong went to another galaxy and are now too busy trying to convert the Ori. :p
  15. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Oh, Hazel, I only hoped you weren't referring to that icky disease. :p I loved these. [:D]
    Hazel likes this.
  16. JediMara77 Force Ghost

star 4
    Ha! Now that's a fic I'd like to see. :p

Lovely drabbles, Hazel. :) You capture Mara's essence very well. Can't wait to read more!
    Jade_eyes likes this.
  17. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Hahaha!!! Me to. Know anyone who would write it for us?
    Thanks! [:D]
  18. lukemaraben Jedi Master

star 1
    I'm glad it wasn't the Vong sickness her being pregnant is much better. Loved it!!
    Hazel and Jade_eyes like this.
  19. earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost

star 6
    I loved how you had them flowing into one very sweet story so true to Mara's character
    Hazel likes this.
  20. ginchy Force Ghost

star 4
    Hazel, I thought you were going to make me bring out my Brave Hat!! That was very mean.... but I like it!! [face_devil]

And I can just picture Mara frowning and Luke beaming at the news. [face_rofl]
    Hazel likes this.
  21. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    @lukemaraben - of course it wasn't. That stupid illness is just the product of someone's imagination. :p

@earlybird-obi-wan - Thanks ! [:D]

@ginchy - I'm sorry honey! [:D] But you have to admit, those prompts were begging for it.
  22. KELIA Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Loved both sets!

I especially like Frustrated. I can totally see how difficult it would be for Mara to be used to being pregnant.

Great responses

=D==D==D==D=
    Hazel likes this.
  23. Lady_Misty Force Ghost

star 4
    Those Ori deserve what they get. And then the SG teams can take care of both. ;)

I like how they all were directly connected.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Hazel likes this.
  24. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    @KELIA - Thank you so much! :)

@Lady_Misty - If i had it my way, the Ori would be too busy with the Vong to ever come to bother us. ;)

Week Three - Attraction, Love, Commitment, Marriage, Anniversary

Attraction

When had her attraction first started? Thinking back, way back, it had always been there, lurking in the back of her mind, like a destiny awaiting fulfillment. Even when she had first heard his name, or rather read it in some computer stationin the Emperor's library, it had sparked a strange sort of recognition.

She hadn't known what it was then, she wasn't sure what to call it now, but there it was - the everlasting spark. Even in the darkest years of her life, the command her master had implanted inside her could not put the spark out.

Love

How hard was it to admit to being in love? How hard would it have been to reach out and say: “Hi, how are you? I would really like to see you. Will you meet me some time?”

But time passed and every day it became harder and harder to take that step. Sometimes time has a strange way of complicating the simplest things.

But not even time could close that door permanently, not when love is true, and theirs was.

In the end, all they had to do was to open their hearts and allow the feeling to flow.

Commitment

Why had commitment been hard for her? She could commit. She committed to Karrde’s organization whole bodily and to the Empire before that. So why had it been such an issue to commit to the Jedi?

That was it, right? That was the problem. Committing to the Jedi would claim more that her hard work and her time. It would claim her heart and she needed to protect her heart. It had been hurt enough. She would not let it be hurt again.

When she realized he would cherish her heart, she gave it willingly and got his in return.

Marriage

Who proposes marriage in a situation like that? Who thinks of the future when death is so near? He would, and by doing it he gave her a testimony of his feelings:

‘No matter what, not matter when, no matter how, no matter how long, I want to be with you. I want to spend the rest of my life with you.’

She was so touched by the intensity of his love, by his willingness to love her and only her, that all she could do was say: ‘Yes, I will.’

This was the beginning of their wonderful life together.

Anniversary

Was this really their first anniversary? Had she survived her first year of marriage?

People said the first year was the hardest. It was the period of time when two people learn to live together, which was why many chose to only get married after an amount of time of living together. But their engagement had been short, their decision adamant, and the adjustment period had only come after the wedding. They were sure they would make it and they did. They accepted each other’s differences and allowed their love to smooth over the rough edges.

She knew it would last.
    Last edited by Hazel, Feb 12, 2013
  25. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Squee! Squee! For each and every word! [face_dancing] Yum! [face_love] ^:)^
    Hazel likes this.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade