Beyond Burning Bright * UDC7 * Week 20 posted 14/Jun (complete)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Hazel, Jan 29, 2013.

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Lady_Misty Force Ghost

star 4
    I can see Mara having high morals and that I think makes her more interesting than just a woman that will do lots to get her job done.
    Hazel and Jade_eyes like this.
  2. Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic Manager

Manager
    star 4
    Great insight into Mara's thoughts on being the emperor's hand.
  3. Demendora Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    Wonderful viggies[:D]
  4. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks all!!! [:D]

I'm relieved you all approved of my little experiment. I thought this week's prompts wouod work well in the first person. I might do it again sometime.
    Jade_eyes likes this.
  5. Jedi_Lover Force Ghost

star 5
    No! I am too busy trying to finish Sacrifices to get into mischief.
    Jade_eyes and Hazel like this.
  6. ginchy Force Ghost

star 4
    Mara has always had a core of steel and integrity. You really showed that with these vigs and I enjoyed them very much. =D=
  7. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks @ginchy! That was what I was aiming for, especially with the last prompt.
  8. AzureAngel2 Force Ghost

star 6
    Your drabbles are sharp and precise, just as Mara in all that she does in her life.
  9. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
  10. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Week Six - Serious, Rude, Charming, Silly, Funny

Serious

"Why are you so serious all the time?" Someone had asked her a long time ago. At the time she had thought it was a stupid question, but now she knew better. Now she could allow herself to look back and acknowledge her sullen moods. Back then all her smiles were smirks and she never ever laughed.

Had she ever laughed at all? She couldn't remember.

But as of late, that had changed. In the past month or so, Mara had found herself lighter than she'd ever been before.

She wouldn't admit it, but she knew when the change had begun.

Rude

She could be downright rude sometimes. She'd snap at anyone who happened to call on her attention. Like a thorny rose, she'd prick whoever tried to get too close.

The ones who knew her recognized that she was just being defensive that way and the ones who really knew her were able to get past the thorns and touch her heart.

One above all others even managed to plant seedlings in her heart. When the seedlings bloomed, she began to change.

But of course, some thorns always remained. Mara Jade wouldn't be herself without them, now would she?

Charming

"You are absolutely charming today, Mara."

She raised an eyebrow at his remark "Are you saying there are days when I'm not charming, Skywalker?"

"That would never cross my mind." he smiled, placing his arm around her waist. "Besides, it wouldn't be true. Please, allow me to rephrase my earlier statement - you are always charming."

"That's better." She rewarded him with that special smile she kept just for him. This time, he didn't think it was enough and leaned in for a kiss.

"If you keep this up we're going to be late."

"It wouldn't be the first time."

Silly

"You're being silly, Skywalker! Why would you even consider something like that?"

"Because, Jade, I really think this is the best choice for me. I mean, think about it--"

"Yeah, no! I will not indulge in such nonsense. I don't care how you put it, it's silly."

"Come on Mara, you know you want to buy matching clothes for our twins. Imagine them with matching pink dresses and little white sandals."

"Skywalker - one, I'm not letting you buy matching outfits for the girls; and two, newborns don't need sandals."

"You're a spoilsport, Mara Jade."

"It's Mara Jade Skywalker!"

Funny

"Isn't it funny how things turned out?" Mara asked her husband just as they were walking out.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean you and me. Did you ever think that that woman who wanted to kill you so much would end up as your wife and mother of your children?"

"I'll admit to some fantasies about that."

"Okay. And when did you fantasize about that, smartypants?"

"Oh... it might have started back on Myrkr."

"Farmboy and his fantasies." She shook her head, smiling. "Now let's go, Skywalker or we'll miss our son's wedding. The girls are waiting for us."

This week's set takes place in my 'Whispers of the Force' universe. The twins referred in Silly and Funny are my OCs Serena and Samira.
    Last edited by Hazel, Mar 6, 2013
    earlybird-obi-wan and Jade_eyes like this.
  11. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Happy joyous wriggling! Serious and Rude =D= wonderful insights into Mara and the one, the only one :* who can make her smile. Or laugh. Or squeal LOL because she's ticklish ;) Silly, Charming, and Funny [face_dancing] [face_dancing] And I think matching outfits with pink sandals would be beyond cute! And, I can bet it's not the first time, that they're late, or just don't show up [face_laugh] (It's so fun to write of spontaneously passionate pairings) [face_love] !!!!
    Hazel likes this.
  12. ginchy Force Ghost

star 4
    Awwww matching outfits and sandals for the twins. [face_love] ahahahahaa I can just see it. Too sweet. And I loved Serious and Mara's introspection.
    Hazel likes this.
  13. Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic Manager

Manager
    star 4
    They were all great, but Silly was definitely my favourite. As an older sister to identical twins, I KNOW how fun it is dressing them up in the same outfits, so I'm definitely on Luke's side. Funny was also fun.
  14. Lady_Misty Force Ghost

star 4
    You described Mara really well. :)

I understand that it is fun to dress twins the same. But it could get frustrating when you are trying ot tell them apart.
    Hazel likes this.
  15. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    @Jade_eyes - It really is a lot of fun. ;) Thanks!

@ginchy - Thank you very much girl! [:D]

@Briannakin - Silly set the tome for all the prompts. When I started writing it I had no plan at all. I just knew Mara was scolding Luke for something. I kept typing and the puzzle just fell into place in my head.

@Lady_Misty - It would get confusing. I used to know a pair of twins when i was in high school and the only way i could tell them apart was by the extra mole one of them had on her cheek. Thanks!
  16. Jedi_Lover Force Ghost

star 5
    I love the fact that Luke admits to fantasizing about Mara on Myrkr! I knew it! :p Great post! =D=
  17. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    I put thar in for you JL. I can't do it in the diary, but i can do it here. ;)
    Jedi_Lover and Jade_eyes like this.
  18. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Week Seven - Stormy, Trapped, Escape, Rescue, Recover

Stormy

Something was raging inside her that day. Everyone on board could tell and none wanted to confront Mara Jade and her stormy mood. Even Talon Karrde knew better than that. So when she told him they had to come out of hyperspace right then and there, he didn't argue. He didn't even query. Karrde just gave the order.

The last thing her boss expected to find at that point in space was a drifting X-wing.

At that time, Mara knew she had some serious explaining to do, and no amount of bad humor would help her evade her boss's inquiry.

Trapped

Mara could hardly believe it. She wasn't quite sure how it had happened. She had just felt that urge to bring out the ship on that moment and in that place. Pure dumb luck or proddings of the Force? She didn't know and she really didn't care. After all, it all added up to the same thing. The time had finally come. After all these years, she had finally trapped Luke Skywalker and finally, FINALLY, she would be able to fulfill her Master's last command. This time she would not fail.

So, what the hell was she waiting for anyway?

Escape

How on Kessel had that damned Jedi managed to escape right through her fingers? Mara mused as the Wild Karrde skulked away from Myrkr. First, he had escaped the smuglers' compound (Mara still wasn't sure how) and forced her into a daredevil chase through the trees. Then, he had managed to evade her wrath while trekking through the forest after they both had crashed the Skyprays and now he had just walked away from her at Hylliard City.

And all the while the Emperor's voice echoed in her brain - You will kill Luke Skywalker.

Shut up you stupid voice!!!

Rescue

Mara couldn't help but feel guilty when Grand Admiral Thrawn took Talon Karrde prisoner. Once again, this new Empire disappointed her and made her renew her vow to not serve it ever. Instead, Mara turned to her nemesis. She went to Skywalker and proposed a trade - she would hold off on killing him if he helped her rescue Karrde from the Chimaera.

She knew beforehand that the Jedi would take her bargain and she had every intention of honoring it.

In the back of her mind, Mara knew that she really didn't want to fulfill that last command.

Recover

What a crazy year! Meeting Skywalker, breaking Karrde out of confinement with him, fighting for the Katana fleet, finding out about the clones, saving the Solo twins from kidnapping, telling the Alliance about the Emperor's cloning facility and leading Skywalker's team there, fighting a deranged Dark Jedi and Skywalker's clone... and all the while hearing the Emperor's last command playing over and over in her head until she finally decided to deny it once and for all and saved the blasted Jedi instead.

Mara knew it had been worth it, but right now she just needed to recover from it.
  19. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    =D= A crazy, wonderful year. :)
    Hazel likes this.
  20. Alexis_Wingstar Force Ghost

star 4
    Nice set. You've captured Mara well in these drabbles. :)
  21. earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost

star 6
    Nice sets with Mara.
    Hazel likes this.
  22. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Jade_eyes likes this.
  23. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    This week's prompts were a challenge, especially Prank. That's why the set came out a bit ... 'funny'. :p

Week Eight - Mistakes, Corrections, Prank, Sabotage, Revenge

Mistakes

Everybody makes mistakes, but Mara Jade learned at a young age that it was best if she made hers during her training sessions. It would be far too dangerous if they happened while on assignment. This was why she trained relentlessly, following her instructor's directions without questioning them.

She never needed to be told twice. In fact, it was common knowledge among the instructors that Mara Jade was probably the best imperial operative in training they had ever trained.

After all, she had the best motivation of all - Mara Jade wanted to make her Master, the Emperor, proud.

Corrections

Corrections were an important part of her training. Whether done by her instructors or by herself, Mara was perfectly aware of their importance. It was impossible to be the best if one did not acknowledge one's faults and strive to make them null, and Mara Jade strived to be the best.

This exercise took a bit of humbleness on her part and that was one of the first corrections her first instructor pointed out and it was one of the hardest to correct. She still struggled with it.

You see, it was not in Mara Jade's nature to be humble.

Prank

One of her tests, set by an instructor, was to plan and conduct a prank on a designated target. The objective was to not get caught. The rules were that it had to be something visible, so that there would be no doubt as to the fact that a prank was indeed taken place. It didn't have to be necessarily funny, but there would be extra points for originality. Finally, the subject of the prank would be chosen, not by Mara or her instructor, but by the Emperor himself.

When the Emperor chose Vader as the target, Mara's usual confidence faltered.

Sabotage

What kind of trick would she pull on Lord Vader? It wasn't easy to think of anything knowing beforehand that the Dark Lord would most likely sense her mischief. The only thing that kept her from admitting she wasn't up to the task was the fear of disappointing her Master. Naturally, her pride also helped a lot.

It took several days for Mara to put together and execute her plan and she kept every aspect to herself.

Only when accounts came through of Vader's TIE spinning out of control after exiting the Enforcer did her instructor learn of her sabotage.

Revenge

Mara could hardly enjoy her success and her Master's praise. From that point on, and for a long time after, she feared that Lord Vader would learn of her prank and seek out revenge. She knew he had been furious over the fact and she suspected that the only reason no one had died was that every living soul that witnessed the event had wisely kept out of the Dark Lord's range. Mara was relieved to learn of that. Very relieved!

One thing was sure, Mara Jade would not be doing anything like that any time soon and hopefully never again.
    Last edited by Hazel, Mar 18, 2013
    Jade_eyes likes this.
  24. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Clever and super use of the prompts, especially Prank setting up Sabotage and Revenge. Mistakes and Corrections -- quite insightful =D=
    Hazel likes this.
  25. Lady_Misty Force Ghost

star 4
    Vader is smart. Sooner or later he will learn that it was her annd see to something embarrassing happens to her.

Great pieces! :)
    Hazel likes this.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade