Beyond Burning Bright * UDC7 * Week 20 posted 14/Jun (complete)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Hazel, Jan 29, 2013.

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost

star 6
    Great use of the prompts. A very secret plan indeed to plan that prank
    Hazel likes this.
  2. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    @Jade_eyes - Thanks Jade! I'm relieved. [:D]

@Lady_Misty - Thank you Misty! And who knows, maybe Vader will become distracted by certain events before he figures it out. ;)

@earlybird-obi-wan - Thanks earlybird! I love it when a plan comes together. :p
  3. Alexis_Wingstar Force Ghost

star 4
    I like this set. I feel for Mara having to prank Darth Vader. Always having to look around for the other shoe to drop, and all. I bet she tensed up, if only slightly, every time she heard that heavy breathing from then on!
    Hazel and Jade_eyes like this.
  4. Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic Manager

Manager
    star 4
    Lol. I quite enjoyed the idea of Mara pulling a prank on Darth Vader. I wonder if Vader ever realized it was her... probably not or else she wouldn't have lived! Great set.
    Hazel likes this.
  5. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    @Alexis_Wingstar - Yeah! That would certainly add an edge or two. ;) Thank you!

@Briannakin - I sure hope he never did. :p Thanks!
  6. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Week Nine - Enemy, Attack, Negotiate, Truce, Friend

Enemy

It wasn’t easy to swallow her pride and ask for the help of her enemy, but Mara Jade was determined to rescue Talon Karrde and she knew she needed the Jedi’s help. So, she would do it. She would gobble up her hatred, seek out Skywalker and ask for his help.

He wouldn’t deny her his help, would he? After all, he did owe her one – she hadn’t killed him back on Myrkr and had allowed him to get away unscathed. Well, almost unscathed. For a moment Mara wondered if his face had already returned to normal. She secretly hoped so.

Attack

The last thing Mara expected upon arriving on the planet Jomark was being the target of an attack perpetrated by Skywalker’s new Jedi Master. If she hadn’t remembered to bring the ysalamir lizard, she would have been in big trouble. At least it made Skywalker see that his new Master was not that good of a Jedi. After all, what kind of a Jedi Master attacks innocent people without the slightest provocation. Not that Mara Jade ever considered herself innocent or unwilling to provoke; that was definitely not her. But still, the old man’s reaction had been considerably exaggerated.

Negotiate

“You help me rescue Karrde from the Chimaera and I don’t kill you right this minute.” This was the basic line Mara used to negotiate with Skywalker and get him to help her get her boss back safely. Was there something wrong with her bargain? If there was, she couldn’t see it. Besides it worked, didn’t it. Skywalker hadn’t just taken his X-wing and his astromech droid and left her standing there, looking like a fool. It had worked and that was all that mattered.

Now she had to figure out how to keep her end of the deal.

Truce

The tentative truce Mara concocted with Skywalker was a hard one to keep. It wasn’t easy for her to ignore the Emperor’s last command. No matter how much she tried to push it down, it kept creeping up at the worst possible times; it kept her awake during rest hours and alert when she should be relaxing.

Skywalker thought her edginess came from her distrust of him so he tried to show her his true calm and compassionate nature; he didn’t know the Emperor’s voice rang louder when he did that. And the louder it got, the more Mara fought it.

Friend

It took time for Mara to get rid of the Emperor’s last command and even longer before she could get over her awkwardness around Skywalker, but both of them knew, and would eventually admit to each other, that the first step towards that friendship was taken when Mara asked for Luke’s help and he accepted her truce and helped her infiltrate the Chimaera and rescue Karrde.

Many years later, the former Emperor’s Hand would finally admit that the Jedi had been the best friend she had ever had. It was part of what had made her fall in love with him.
    earlybird-obi-wan and Jade_eyes like this.
  7. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Awesome! =D= That is a very insightful statement that their truce and rescue of Karrde was the true beginning of forging a friendship. [face_thinking]

Many years later, the former Emperor’s Hand would finally admit that the Jedi had been the best friend she had ever had. It was part of what had made her fall in love with him. Loved that! :)
    Last edited by Jade_eyes, Mar 25, 2013
    Hazel likes this.
  8. earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost

star 6
    A very nice read to see all what happened between Luke and Mara before they became friends and lovers
  9. Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic Manager

Manager
    star 4
    These prompts were just made for Mara in TTT. Great use of them.
  10. Lady_Misty Force Ghost

star 4
    Nice pieces that go really nicely with the words.

I'd ask that you do one where Vader gets back at Mara for her little stunt but he paid her back by way of Luke. ;) I mean Mara tries and fails to kill Luke then they fall in love, married and had ONE child (who was ungrateful for a long time).
    Hazel likes this.
  11. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    @Jade_eyes - I needed to put in a little mush. :)

@earlybird-obi-wan - Thanks! These two are fun to write.

@Briannakin - that's the almost unanimous opinion. Thanks Bri!

@Lady_Misty - poor Mara, she didn't deserve that kind of vengeance.
  12. EmeraldJediFire Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Okay, for some reason I didn't put this on watch argh...so I just now got up to speed. thank the Maker these were drabbles...they only took me a bit. I loved them all to pieces. I loved the Stressed one from the pregnancy..I loved all the insight during TTT. Bravo...This is now on watch so I won't miss another post!
  13. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
  14. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Week Ten - Sky, Sun(s), Moon(s), Stars, Lightning

Sky

The little girl liked to look at the sky. It was big and blue and it was everywhere. All she had to do was to go outside and look up and it was there. Her mommy told her that that was where her daddy had gone. Mara hoped he would be back soon, so then they could go catch butterflies together. She missed her daddy very much.

In the meantime, she would be a good girl and do what her mommy told her. She would make sure to never show anyone the special things she could do. It was very important.

Sun

She liked it when the sun was shining, it mean that she could go outside and play. And if it was warm enough, her mommy would let her play in the lake. Mara liked that very much.

Sometimes, other kids would come and play with her, although her mommy didn't like it very much. She was afraid Mara would tell them something she shouldn't, like that they were hiding from a very bad man and that her daddy was out fighting the bad man. So mommy kept a close eye on her while she played with the other children.

Moon

The moon came out when the day was ending - Daddy had told Mara that a long time ago, just before he left. It meant that it was time to go to sleep. Everybody went to sleep when the moon came out and so did Mara. Every night, Mommy would tuck Mara in and tell her a story. Her favorite story was of how mommy and daddy had met - it was a fantastic story with a lot of bad guys and daddy had rescued mommy from them.

Then mommy would kiss Mara goodnight and tell her to go to sleep.

Stars

Sometimes it was hard to fall asleep after mommy left. Then Mara would just lie there, on her bed, and look out the window towards the stars. They were so many, too many for a little girl to count, but she would try anyway. One day she would count all the stars in the sky. Someday, she would visit them all.

While she counted them, Mara tried to guess each one would be closest to her daddy and then she would send him a quiet call: 'Come home, daddy, come home. I miss you very much and so does mommy'.

Lightning

One night there was a lightning storm. Mara didn't like the lightning and thunder and ran out of bed and into mommy's. Mommy told her that there was nothing to be afraid of, that this was as natural as rain, but Mara was not convinced. She wished daddy was there to make the storm go away.

That night she slept with mommy and wished for her daddy to come home. She wished it with every fiber of her being, but inside, deep inside, Mara already knew - her daddy would never come home again, and Mara cried herself to sleep.

Jade_eyes likes this.
  15. Lady_Misty Force Ghost

star 4
    I remember being very young and there was a thunder storm. The room I was sleeping in had two windows on opposite sides of the room. When the lightning flashed it shone in both windows and needless to say I was frightened.

I asked my dad as he was putting one of my younger siblings in the crib what that light I was seeing. He responded that it was lightning. I then asked if it could get in the house. He said no but in the end I went to sleep in my parents' room. The storms still frighten me but not as much as they used to.
    Hazel likes this.
  16. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Great use of the prompts, telling of Mara's family days, so normal, so sweet, and then mixed with loss. =D=
    Hazel likes this.
  17. earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost

star 6
    Love to see a young Mara with her mother and being afraid of lightning like most children. And that her father isn't coming home; very touching
    Last edited by earlybird-obi-wan, Apr 2, 2013
    Hazel likes this.
  18. EmeraldJediFire Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I love when it rains..not the lightening thunder part..I've been known to jump several feet...so I can understand Mara's fear.

I feel sad that her dad will never come home. That's a terrible feeling.
  19. Demendora Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    Poor little girl and her mother. They have only each-other now.(((
    Hazel likes this.
  20. Demendora Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    And I am afraid of thunder too. Powerful and very beautiful phenomena, but the scary one.
    Hazel likes this.
  21. ginchy Force Ghost

star 4
    Mara's secret quiet call to her daddy--maybe not so secret after all. :( That breaks my heart. I love reading of Mara's childhood like this. Wonderful drabbles!!
  22. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks all! [:D] :*

This week's drabbles take place in my Whispers of the Force/How I met your Mother AU Universe.

~*~

Week Eleven - Fun, Play, Laugh, Games, Vacation

Vacation

Once upon a time, a long time ago, Mara Jade would have scorned at the being who dared to mention the word vacation to her. It was a waste of time, she believed. Certainly unnecessary. After all, what better way to spend every day of her life then at the Emperor's service?

But, since then, her life had changed in such a way she had believed impossible. Now she was a wife and a mother and a Jedi Master, and she certainly appreciated a vacation. In fact, she made sure her family had at least one extended vacation every year.

Fun

The Skywalker children always looked forward to this time. The days anticipating the trip were always a fuss of packing and running around and 'this is mine and that is yours' and 'Mommy, where's my dolly?'

The twins always wanted to help her pack all the bags, although they always managed to make it more confusing than it should be. But what the hell, it was all part of the fun.

And in the meantime, while Mara and the girls packed everything, the men of the family prepped the Jade Shadow for departure. It was their version of fun.

Play

The trip to their chosen destination took, travelling at the Shadow's full speed, the better part of a day, but the kids didn't complain. They had plenty to do aboard. Whether it was assisting Mom in the cockpit or helping Dad in the lounge, or even ducking Nana's constant vigilance, there was certainly a lot to play with. More times then not, the Skywalker children tired themselves out halfway through the voyage and gave their parents a much needed break.

While Mara and Luke watched them sleep, they always offered a silent thanks to the Force for their fantastic family.

Laugh

Upon arrival, unpacking was another feast. The little twin girls would insist on putting all the family's clothes in the assigned closets on their own, but would end up mixing up everything or hanging the items upside down or inside out.

Ben said his sisters did it on purpose. He clamed they wanted to see him wearing his mother's leggings as a hat and would put them on over his head to demonstrate, which made the four year-old girls start laughing out loud.

The children's laugh was music in their parents' hears. They couldn't help but join in too.

Games

There were a lot of games to be played during their vacation and the Skywalker children made sure to play them all at least once. Of course, they preferred the ones they could share with their parents like hide-and-seek and tag. It was fun to watch the Grand Master playing catch with three kids. After all, it was the essence of a family vacation.

Between trips to the beach, the holotheater and the playground, these days went by quickly. Soon after, it was time to go home. The family didn't mind, they knew they could still have fun in their everyday life.

earlybird-obi-wan and Jade_eyes like this.
  23. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Delightful :D I LOVE! this 'verse and your use of the prompts. My tummy is one big d'awww squish of happy ... [:D] [:D] I could picture the fun and the laughter and the games. [face_dancing]
    Hazel likes this.
  24. Jedi_Lover Force Ghost

star 5
    That was fun. I wish these moments were in the profics.
    Hazel likes this.
  25. Lady_Misty Force Ghost

star 4
    Vacations are fun; as long as they are relaxing.

The twins sound like normal little girls, trying to be helpful.
    Hazel likes this.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade