main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Burnmarks tutorial

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by sithslayingknight, Mar 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sithslayingknight

sithslayingknight Jedi Youngling

Feb 12, 2008
    Hey everyone. I was on trying to make a burnmark in AE last night and it looked quite good so i thought that show you guys how I did that burnmark.

1. Launch After Effects.

2. Bring in your footage and place it in a new composition.

3. Make a new black solid and turn off the 'eye' switch

4. You have to mkae a mask just like a lightsaber

5. Now turn on the 'eye' switch

6. Go into Effect-Distort-Turbulence displace and give it a complexity of about 8 and put the amount and size down a bit.

7. Now go into Effects-Generate-Stroke

8. You can increase or decrease the brush size depending on how large you wanting the melting area aroung it to be and make sure you make the color black.

9. Duplicate the composition you just made and call it something like 'melted area'.

10. Open up the melted area composition and turn the footage on that composition into a 'Gude Layer' by right-clicking that footage and selecting 'Guide Layer'

11. Select the black solid and go into Effect-Noise and Grain-Fractal Noise

12. Scale it down to something like 30.

13. Making sure the black solid is selected go into Effect-Color Correction-Levels

14. Select the Red channel and give it heaps of red.

15. Go into the green channel and give it a bit of green.

16. Go into the RGB channel and brighten it up.

17. Go back into the first comp and select the black solid and delete the stroke effects.

18. From the project window drag the melted area comp into the the first comp.

19. Position the melted area comp in between the black solid and the footage

20. Your effect is done!!

This is similar to Kaats tutorial.
    Comments and crticism welcome.

2. Covert-Sniper

Covert-Sniper Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 21, 2006
    Maybe you should post a picture or video so people can see the final product.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.