main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bush v. Kerry: The Official Elections 2004 Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Darth Mischievous, Mar 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    Kerry has won Super Tuesday, and now Edwards is dropping out with an announcement on Wednesday.

So, it will be Bush v. Kerry in Nov '04.

No more countdowns - the race is set.

So, who are you supporting, and why?

Can Kerry defeat Bush?

The following political offices will be up for election on [b] November 2nd, 2004.[/b] All have been verified based on POlitics1.com and Yahoo Elections search.

During the course of any discussion, the following terms should be used in descriptions of political campaigns.

[b] LOCK[/b] A Lock means that the incumbent and/or challenger, short of some sort of biblical disaster, is virtually assured of re-election to the point that it will be a no-contest, slam dunk affair.

[b] Favored[/b] A Favored rating means the candidate seems to have certain things in their factor and is in all likely hood heading to re-election, but is by no means assured of re-election on the same vice. Bad misteps, the opposition putting out a good candidate, but for this person to lose would be an upset at the time I write this.

[b] TossUp[/b] Depending on whom is sent up against him, a FAVORED or LOCk can become a TOSS UP, if the conditions are right; also for states which have a tradition of one thing but a senator who stands for something else. This really is just what it means, that it could go either way, and at the time of this writing, regardless of mis-steps or disasters, or what the opposition does.

[b] Vulnerable[/b] Candidates who are vulnerable are candidates, for example, who have been caught up in a major scandal; who are running states which in all likelyhood won't re-elect that person. A candidate has to be in major trouble to be VULNERABLE.

OPEN - If a candidate has chosen not to run for Re-Election, or is being Term LImited out in certain governors races, then the seat is OPEN, with no incumbent holding the seat.

[hr]

[b] Candidates for the office of PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

[/b] George W Bush, Incumbent

Senator John F Kerry

[hr]

[b]US HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES[/b]

[b] ***All 438 US House Seats[/b] will be up for Re-Election/Election in November 2nd, 2002. Vacancies could occur between now and then, for example, if a person dies while in office, steps down to run for a different office, and such. There could be more re-districting in several states.

[b] Key Information[/b]

1) Texas Redistricting, expecting to add as many as a dozen new seats for the GOP in Texas.

[hr]

[b] United States Senators up for Re-Election in 2004 [/b]

Senators whose Terms of Service Expire in 2005
    DEMOCRATS

***Bayh, Evan Indianna-
    ***Boxer, Barbara-CA.
    ***Breaux, John-LA has announced his retirement, making this a [b]Open Seat[/b]
    ***Dodd,Christophter-CT .
    ***Daschle, Tom-SD-
    ***Dorgan,BYron-ND .
    ***Edwards,John-NC has announced he will not seek Re-Election, making this an [b]Open Seat[/b]
    ***Feingold,Russel-WI
    ***Graham,Bob-FL has announced he will not seek Re-Election, making this an [b]Open Seat[/b]
    ***Hollings,Ernest-SC has announced he will not seek Re-Election, making this an [b]Open Seat[/b]
    ***Inyonee,Daniel-HA
    ***Leahy,Patrick-VT
    ***Lincoln, Blanche-ARK
    ***Mikulski,Barbara-MD
    ***Miller, Zell- GA - Senator Zell Miller has announced he will not run for Re-Election in 2004, making this an [b]Open Seat[/b].
    ***Murray,Patty- WA.
    ***Reid, Harry- NV
    ***Schumer, Charles- NY
    ***Wyden, Ron- OR .

Republicans

***Bennett, Robert-Utah
    ***Bond, Christopher-MO
    ***Brownback, Sam- KS
    ***Bunning, Jim-KY
    ***Campbell, Nighthorse-CO
    ***Crapo, Mike-ID
    ***Fiztgerald, Peter-IL has announced he will not seek Re-Election, making this an [b]Open Seat[/b]
    ***Grassley, Chuck-IA
    ***Gregg, Judd-NH.
    ***McCain, John- AZ I
    ***Murkowski, Lisa-ALaska
    ***Nickels, Don- OK
    ***Shelby, Richard- AL
    ***Specter, Arlen- PA-
    ***Voinovich, George- OH

[hr]

State Governorships up on November 2nd, 2002

Montana- Governor Judy Martz (R), Incumbent

Washington- Governor Gary Locke (D), Incumbent.

Delaware- Governor Ru

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Now would be a good time to open a new countdown thread, and make things more inviting to new participants in the discussion (current and prospective) and new members.

But, until then, this ought to go in the existing thread.

Not that I have any say in such things anymore ;).

3. Darth Mischievous

Oct 12, 1999
    Hence why I started this thread. :)

4. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    If the Democrats want a real chance I hope Kerry offers Edwards to run as his vicepresident candidate and he agrees. Whatever the case I hope they take the crazy Texan out.

5. TripleB

TripleB Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2000
    I pmd' Obi-Wan Mccartney with an updated list that leads in the 2004 election thread. I imagine since it was his baby to begin with, he should be allowed to post the new thread.

6. Darth Mischievous

Oct 12, 1999
    Kerry can't beat Bush simply by the hate of the left, just like Dole couldn't beat Clinton by the same sentiment from the right.

Kerry's record will now be at issue, and Bush will surely capitalize on that as it's fair game. I suspect Kerry will pick a running mate from the South or the Heartland to try to pick up votes there. I doubt it will help him in the South, though.

Now, the real scrutiny begins.

I wouldn't underestimate Bush, even if he's down in the polls until the end. Things can change on a dime.

This is certainly going to be interesting.
    ---

BTW:
    There aren't copyrights on threads, TripleB.

7. TripleB

Oct 28, 2000
    No, but I Obi-Wan created the original OFFICIAL ELECTION THREADS and I think it is a common courtesy to let him continue to be the father that that particular thread.

8. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    TripleB supporting OWM, now that is surprising. ;)

9. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    It's over parenting rights, so duh... :p :eek: :D

Not that I have any say in such things anymore

KnightWriter, most of us will have a reflex action that will make us respond to your comments like you were still our Mod! :D

E_S

10. TripleB

Oct 28, 2000
    You would not get it, FID. YOu have not played Knights of the Old Republic Like Obi-Wan and I (and EnderSai) did, so you are NOt With it!!!! ;)

11. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    Why don't we just use this thread for our discussions. Once a user posts a thread, they lose ownership of that thread and any sequels.

I'll go ahead and lock the other one.

Kimball Kinnison

12. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    I'm not really that an avid of a supporter for either canidate really, but I'll do some researching and find which canidate best serves my views.

13. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Yes I would. I could spoil KOTOR for everyone if I like. :D I'll tell you who Darth Revan is. I had that figured out within err...a couple of days. So yeah...anyways. OWM should have the new thread. He's been keeping all of this election stuff afloat for a while now.

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    KIMBALL: Can I ask you to add a clause banning any and all extraneous refernces to Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic in non-social Senate Threads, effective immediately? ;)

E_S

15. TripleB

Oct 28, 2000
    RedSeven actually threatened to ban me back in October, when I derailed at least 4 threads into Knights of the Old Republic discussions. KnightWriter afe times chimed in to keep it on discussion but myself and others got into such detailed talks that Red7 almost took action against me, although he conceeded he thought it was amusing the way we were 'talking about it'.

16. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    :eek: Backstabber. And I put that mod hotline in my sig. :_| Ah well. At least I can still buy video games cheaply. :cool:

On-topic:

I'd like for Kerry to win. Hell I'd like a chimpanzee to win over GWB. But I doubt it'll happen.

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    FIDo, that wasn't aimed at you; we posted at roughly the same time... :D [face_mischief]

You should post that bumper sticker, the "Anyone But.." :D

E_S

18. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    [image=http://www.evolvefish.com/fish/media/S-AnybodyButBush.jpg]

[image=http://www.evolvefish.com/fish/media/S-BushCheneyKiss.jpg]

This one's good too.

19. Blast

Blast Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2002
    Oh so you want us to nominate Rumsfeld then ;) ?

20. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Rumsfeld...well...he's got Rum in his name. Maybe we'll have our second alcoholic President. They call him Rummie for a reason. ;)

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    :eek:

On behalf of the 95% of the World that's not America: Don't elect Rumsfeld. Ask McCain back. Tell him you're sorry Bush was an arsehead to him during 2000, and you want him to lead the US to prosperity, stability, peace, and shattering defeat at the 2004 Olympics when you play Australia in Anything *BUT* Basketball (which really shouldn't be there anyways!) ;)

E_S

22. Blast

Blast Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2002
    Dont worry, the Rumsfeld comment was in response to the "Anyone but Bush" bumpersticker. Im not even a fan of Rumsfeld but I agree with you on McCain.

John McCain 2008!

23. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Okay E_S. How's about a real winning ticket.

[image=http://www.evolvefish.com/fish/media/S-BushSatan2004.jpg]

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    That's likely to make a few people...well...unhappy... ;)

McCain '08 would be nice.

E_S

25. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Yeah, but imagine the slogan, "When you vote for Bush, you vote for power."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.