main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bush v. Kerry: The Official Elections 2004 Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Darth Mischievous, Mar 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeathStar1977

DeathStar1977 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2003
    DM - Fair enough my good friend! :)

As usual, I have to get some work done. I am really thinking about the whole VP selection, probably more than I should.

I am still of the opinion that it matters more than some say it does, especially in the age of 24 hour news networks where there is such visibility.

EDIT: Interesting observations regarding traditional values. The only problem is IMO this is such a broad term that it is hard, at least for me, to really discuss it without specifying what it exactly entails.

2. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
  3. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I know how this forum loves to divide itself between left and right, but I think this coming election is going to stand out as one that is going to be more defined by the apolitical middle than any election in recent memory.

There are two issues that readily transcend conservative/liberal boundaries: jobs and Iraq. These are the only issues that matter. The "gay marriage" debate, for example, is a sideshow that will have zero impact on the election. How people feel about Iraq, and how people feel about the domestic economy's job creation is going to determine the outcome. Nothing else.

As a democrat, I hope that Bush makes a concerted effort to draw attention away from Iraq and the economy into social issues. Because that will guarantee him joining his father as a one termer. Bush cannot win the election based on his "war against terror." He can't win the election on a jobless economic recovery. He can't win the election on tax cuts because those tax cuts are meaningless to Americans if they don't create jobs.

My feeling is the only way Kerry can lose is if his public persona implodes the way Dean's did or if the Bush campaign deals some kind of catastrophic blow on the order of pictures of a naked Paris Hilton on top of him in a hotel room.

4. JediSmuggler

JediSmuggler Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 1999
    Ender_Sai

If Rumsfeld were ten years younger, I'd be backing him for 2008.

The man's got the character and the guts for the job. He proved that on 9/11. His reaction was to head TO the site and to join in the rescue efforts. Probably one of the sharpest and most brilliant men who have ever served as Secretary of Defense.

--

As to the election. John F. Kerry is not a real threat. The claims that the Republicans are not attacking his patriotism are false - just as they were with Max Cleland in 2002.

The issue is, as it was with Cleland, his voting record. And THAT is what will kill Kerry in November.

5. Darth Mischievous

Oct 12, 1999
    You're underestimating the impact of the importance of the issue of traditional marriage in traditional States, such as in the US South, Jabbadabbado. Tax increases are also never popular in the voting booths.

Kerry will have to go to great lenghts to get rid of his Northeastern Liberal mantra to gain any support in the South. I don't see that happening. Kerry continually has Ted Kennedy opening up for him during his campaign speeches.

I do agree that the bases are solidified on both sides, though.

6. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    DM, all Kerry has to do to neutralize that issue is say that he defines marriage as something between a man and a woman but opposes a constitutional amendment (and favors state's rights). Framing the issue as one of "state's rights" has the added bonus of making ultraconservatives look foolish.

Earlier, you wrote: "The economy is improving, and job creation is the last stage of economic recovery."

But I suppose you'd agree that if that "last stage" doesn't happen until after November, then Bush will have a hard time benefitting from it.

Also, if U.S. forces capture Osama bin Laden by November, the closer to election day the better, then that might actually secure reelection for Bush.

7. Darth Mischievous

Oct 12, 1999
    Kerry voted against the DOMA which would guarantee State's rights to decide if they are against it. State's rights are already being infringed upon the matter (as is the case in California and other States), so it will inevitably go up to the Federal level. I also think it will inevitably go up to the USSC, where they will rule the DOMA unconstitutional. Therefore, the only recompense is an Amendment, otherwise gay marriage would be forced upon the States.

So, he can't make that claim, Jabba.

If Osama is captured before the election, I'm sure the conspiracy theories will go wild.

8. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Good point. Imagine Bush holding Osama in a pen somewhere, waiting to time the big moment of his "capture and arrest." That's pretty funny, DM.

I have to defer to your knowledge of the gay marriage matter, DM. I haven't been following Kerry up to now, or the gay marriage debate. My vote in the primary is going to be irrelevant, but I guess I'd better start paying attention. I dont' even know what the DOMA said. But if it was legislated around the idea of creating an exception to the 14th amendment's application of the full faith and credit clause to the states, then I don't think Kerry would be denied an opportunity to claim he supports state's rights on the matter. But for now I have to admit I'm totally ignorant on the issue.

Edit 3: Is this the right text:

"No State, territory, or possession of the United States, or Indian tribe, shall be required to give effect to any public act, record, or judicial proceeding of any other State, territory, possession, or tribe respecting a relationship between persons of the same sex that is treated as a marriage under the laws of such other State, territory, possession, or tribe, or a right or claim arising from such relationship."

If so, it is a 14th Amendment issue (applying Article IV's full faith and credit clause to states), so it doesn't really impace Kerry's ability to say he support's state's rights in the matter. State's rights are already constitutionally limited under the 14th Amendment. DOMA was an attempt to create a 14th amendment exception.

9. Darth Mischievous

Oct 12, 1999
    That's the whole issue of debate concerning the DOMA right now, Jabba.

The DOMA law, signed by President Clinton, ensures that States don't have to recognize other States' legal documentation concerning gay 'marriages'. It basically leaves the issue up to the States. Kerry voted against this law.

Now, we're at a time where the will of the States' themselves are being overturned (as is the case in California under their law - known as Prop 22), and judicial bodies ruling on the matter rather than it going through the legislatures by consent of the people of that given State.

Next, what is going to happen is when gays go to Massachussetts to get 'married', they will return to their home States and sue their State for recognition under the 'full faith and credit' clause of the US Consitution. The courts will be inundated costing millions to the taxpayers. This is where I believe it will go all the way up to the USSC, which will then rule the DOMA unconstitutional. Therefore, the issue will (and has already) gone beyond State's rights and has entered the Federal level. This is because when one State recognizes a gay 'marriage' and forces the others to do so as well against the other State's will, it has gone into the federal arena. If the DOMA is struck down by the USSC, the only recourse is the FMA.

10. QuanarReg

QuanarReg Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 17, 2002
    So it's official now. The race has begun. I still find it interesting that the Democrats got behind Kerry so quickly. Many of them who are polled say they don't even know anything about them. That's why, if I was a Democrat, I'd be scared that in eight weeks they might wake up and realize that Mr. Kerry is not at all the candidate that they want. Maybe he is, but we will see. I still think he is far too liberal. What exactly his the big atraction to him anyway?

But I see the race coming out very simiular to how it did in 2000. The problem for the Dems is that, when you look at it, they are going to have to climb a huge uphill battle. The winds are certainly playing in Bush's favor. Kerry will not win a single southern state. President Bush has far more money. And one thing that is not mentioned alot, but Red States gained 14 electoral votes this time around. That could tip the balance.

Here are four things that I think could have a big impact in the election.

THE TRIAL OF SADDAM HUSSIEN- Although it isn't mentioned alot, a lenghty trail of Saddam, will most likely bolster public support for removing him, when people are exposed to the unexusable human offenses that he committed.

THE CAPTURE OF OSAMA BIND LADIN- If Osama is captured that could alter the election in many ways.

THE GROWTH OF JOBS- If more significant job growth occurs it will look good for the President. If it doesn't, it will be the main wound that the Democrats will poke at.

THE GAY MARRAIGE DEBATE- THE social issue of the year. If these marraiges continue, and the press coverage keeps up, this will be a big issue, that will not sit good for Democrats.

It was interesting that last night Dick Morris said that he feels the Bush campeign should go negative right away.

11. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Does Dick Morris ever say anything else?

12. Obi-Wan McCartney

Obi-Wan McCartney Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 1999
    OF course he should. Bush has a much better chance winning a negative campaign than a positive one, since he's got tons of money and no ideas.

Right now, it's Bush facing the uphill battle since the Democratic Primary could not have gone at all better for Kerry. He knocks em down losing only three, native South Carolina for Edwards, neighboring Oklahoma for Clark, and home state Vermont (sentimental twist) for Dean.

Kerry even gets a pretty well tested Veep out of the whole thing, Edwards. It would be pretty fun to see Edwards take on Cheney, David v. Goliath almost (Edwards has the skill and the heart, but Cheney is a dark lord of the Sith after all!)

Anyway, just wanted to say I'm dissapointed that the old thread was retired. It started soon after the original countdown thread ended with the midterm election disaster (for the Dems anyway). I don't know why the old thread couldn't have served as the longstanding countdown/community thread for this board, but I guess the powers that be decided such. This thread isn't even a countdown thread. As such, this thread sucks.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Bill Clinton as VEEP, aside from ruining his title "Hello Mr. Vice President," and overshadowing Kerry "President Clinton and I will bring jobs back to this country, just like we did ten years ago," that would be AWESOME! The dems would win in a landslide. But no, I think Clinton has to make things right with Hillary and trade titles with her.

But see, if Hillary ran, then the Republicans would pass a constitutional amendment against women with husbands running for the Presidency. They'll say "the first lady is an institution between the President and his wife. Bill Clinton can't be the first lady! He's making a mockery of the institution of first lady! RA RA RA RA HATE RABBLE RA!"

13. JediSmuggler

Jun 5, 1999
    Obi-Wan McCartney

It might have gone well for Kerry, but then again, Kerry is a very weak candidate, IMHO. He is NOT going to win any states in the South. His only hope is to pick off New Hampshire and Ohio. I'm not sure he can do that. He is barely running even with Bush - and Bush hasn't really started to campaign yet.

14. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Well, here's my take, DM (a little bit more briefly than before):

Kerry can make the word "liberal" mainstream by redefining it.

If I were him, my answer to the charge of being an "out-of-touch liberal" would be this:

(hypothetically)

"Yes, I'm a liberal. I believe in equal opportunity for all americans. I believe that all people should be treated with respect regardless of their gender, their religion, or their sexual orientation. I believe in personal freedom and responsibility. I believe that the purpose of government is to protect the nation, provide necessary services, and secure an environment in which opportunity and innovation can flourish. I believe in individual choice, in the freedom for people, not the government, to decide who to love, who to marry, and when to have children. I support the right to bear arms, but believe in reasonable safeguards to prevent easy access for criminals to guns. I believe in a strong america, a strong military, a committment to civil service, and pride in this country. I believe that we live in a greater global community, and that america should be a leader, promoting greater freedom and democracy both at home, and abroad."

Dammit, I just got an admission :(.....you get the general idea. The point is that Kerry can redefine what it means to be a liberal. IMHO, he desperately needs to, because if he doesn't, Bush will, and if that happens, he's done before he starts.

More later.

Peace,

V-03

15. Obi-Wan McCartney

Aug 17, 1999
    Kerry has like 10 points on Bush right now, what are you talking about?

Furthermore, Kerry can pull a Lincoln (heh heh, I know, it looks like they just dug up Lincolns grave and electroshocked him back to life as John Kerry) and win without a single southern state.

Kerry's no Clinton, but even Clinton only won a few distinctly important southern victories he didn't need to win, like WV, Tenn, Florida, Arkansas, etc.

Kerry can win without ANY southern states. All he needs is ONE and the Presidency is his. New Mexico, Florida, Arkansas, West Virginia, North and South Carolina, all these states are in play and he just has to win ONE, if any. He could go with Dick Gephardt and hold Missouri for a win.

New Hampshire is going back to the Dems this year, I predict, and as I predicted in the original thread all those years ago, before Howard Dean exploded, Kerry will win the nomination and will win the Presidency.

As far as Bush goes, yes, we know that Round 1 of the 2004 election year went to the Democrats, Kerry, and the liberals. Now we are fully expecting the evil Empire to Strike Back. But the final leg of the race, after the conventions, will mark the Return of the political Jedi himself, Bill Clinton, and Bush has at least a 50/50 chance of retiring.

Again, to borrow from Howard Dean, President Bush played the race card in order to divide this country and that alone entitles him to a one-way bus ticket back to Crawford Texas.

This thread sucks.

16. JediSmuggler

Jun 5, 1999
    Vaderize 03

The claim that Kerry supports a strong military is refuted by votes against the Apache, Abrams, B-1, B-2, and virtually every weapons system currently in use. Explain his votes to cut the CIA's budget.

His national security record will be an issue. And if I were the Republicans, the line would be: "We are not questioning his patriotism, we're questioning his voting record."

Obi-Wan McCartney

New Hampshire alone will not cut it. New Mexico already went for Gore in 2000. The shift in the electoral college means he has to take either Ohio or Florida. Missouri might be an option, but Kerry's record on gun control will make that an uphill climb.

West Virginia might be a pickup for Kerry, but his gun control votes might be enough. Gore lost that state, mind you, and he was from Tennessee. Kerry's got 19 years of liberalism he has to get people to overlook - and he's a liberal from the Northeast.

17. Obi-Wan McCartney

Aug 17, 1999
    He doesn't need any of the southern states, so what I'm saying is that it's entirely possible he'll get ONE and clinch it.

18. Obi-Wan McCartney

Aug 17, 1999
    BACKGROUND MEETING: BUSH SAYS KERRY WILL BE TOUGH OPPONENT
    Wed Mar 03 2004 10:29:40 ET

President Bush said privately Tuesday that he believes Sen. John Kerry will be a "tough and hard-charging opponent," but said he feels he is starting the general election from a stronger position than he did in 2000, Mike Allen reports in fresh runs of the WASHINGTON POST.

MORE

Bush's views "emerged from an unusual 80-minute session in the Oval Office with five network correspondents who agreed that his comments would not be directly quoted or attributed to him." Word of the meeting "got around before it was over. Several people provided accounts of it to the WASHINGTON POST but spoke only on the condition of anonymity because, in the view of the White House and by the agreement of the networks, the conversation never officially occurred." NBC correspondent David Gregory "dropped a hint on NBC NIGHTLY NEWS, saying that 'the president has told people he believes tonight's Super Tuesday results mark the real beginning of the general election.

Feeling that his conservative base is secure, Mr. Bush is now studying Kerry's positions and preparing to target the senator's record." the POST adds, "Another sign of the administration's engagement in the campaign yesterday was Vice President Cheney giving interviews to three cable networks. The Bush-Cheney campaign will begin its paid ads tomorrow." The Oval Office session "was designed to show Bush as eager to campaign and fight back against Kerry, and to portray the president as engaged in the issues of the day.

"The meeting was supposed to run just half an hour, and Bush seemed to enjoy showing that he could handle whatever topics were fired at him, according to the accounts," reports Allen.

Developing...

19. Obi-Wan McCartney

Aug 17, 1999
    Kerry Looking for Super Tuesday Triumph
    Tue Mar 2, 6:02 PM ET

By RON FOURNIER, AP Political Writer

John Kerry (news - web sites) battled John Edwards (news - web sites) from New York to California in a 10-state show of strength Tuesday, seeking to shove his last major rival from the race and claim the Democratic presidential nomination.

AP Photo

Reuters
    Slideshow: Democratic Party

Kerry Cements Nomination; Edwards Out
    (AP Video)

Latest headlines:
    · Kerry and Bush hit rival campaign trails
    AFP - 25 minutes ago

· Bush launches campaign advertising offensive
    AFP - 27 minutes ago

· Schwarzenegger scores key victory as voters bless his fiscal rescue plan
    AFP - 44 minutes ago

Super Tuesday Results:
    CA | CT | GA | MD | MA
    MN | NY | OH | RI | VT

Pre-election polling gave Kerry an edge in almost every Election Day venue as he sought a lion's share of the victories to make Edwards' presidential bid a political, if not quite a mathematical, impossibility. Kerry was already pivoting toward a general-election fight with President Bush (news - web sites).

"Boy, wait until you see the fire in my belly," he told a TV interviewer.

The White House dispatched Vice President Dick Cheney (news - web sites) to TV studios to criticize the presumptive foe. "He very clearly has over the years adopted a series of positions that indicate a desire to cut the defense budget, cut the intelligence budget, to eliminate many major weapons programs," Cheney said of the four-term Massachusetts senator.

Edwards, a 50-year-old freshman senator who barely competed in half the states, targeted Georgia, Ohio and Minnesota for candidacy-saving victories. Surveys showed the race close in Georgia and barely within reach in Ohio, his prospects for survival dim.

The only other wild card was Vermont, home of former Gov. Howard Dean (news - web sites). He dropped out of the race last month, but sentimental small-state partisans hoped to give Dean a handful of delegates to leverage his budding reform movement.

In all, 10 states with a combined population of 94 million ? one-third of the U.S. total ? awarded 1,151 delegates, more than half of the 2,162 needed to seize the nomination. In addition to New York, California, Vermont and Edwards' three target states, voters cast ballots in four Kerry strongholds: Connecticut, Maryland, Massachusetts and Rhode Island.

Kerry, a 60-year-old senator, had 701 delegates to Edwards' 205, even before Tuesday's voting.

A 10-state sweep could give Kerry about 1,500 delegates ? a virtually insurmountable lead. Even with a couple of victories and a better-than-expected showing in several other states, Edwards had to win at least 70 percent of the pledged delegates between now and June ? and secure the support of uncommitted party leaders ? to overtake Kerry in the delegate chase.

The lawmakers took a Super Tuesday time-out in the Senate to vote on extending the ban on military-style assault weapons. The extension passed, and they returned to campaign work after chit-chatting on the Senate floor.

The pair spent part of the day in Georgia, with Kerry looking ahead to November.

"President Clinton (news - web sites) was often known as the first black president. I wouldn't be upset if I could earn the right to be the second," he told the American Urban Radio Network.

His unbridled optimism muted, Edwards shook hands outside a polling place in suburban Atlanta, then declined to take questions from reporters.

Answers came all day from 10 states with nearly 50 million registered voters, many of them torn between the two candidates.

"The issue that drove me is getting rid of Bush, and that led me to Kerry," said Ron Debry, 47, of suburban Cincinnati. "Maybe Edwards someday, but I don't think he's ready yet."

Ousting Bush was the top priority for voters in nearly every Super Tuesday state, with large majorities saying they are angry at the president, according to exit poll

20. Obi-Wan McCartney

Aug 17, 1999
    Kerry calls for probe of Aristide claims

By James G. Lakely
    THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Democratic presidential front-runner John Kerry yesterday called for an investigation into statements by former Haitian President Jean-Bertrand Aristide that he was kidnapped at gunpoint and removed from power by U.S. troops over the weekend.
    "I think there ought to be some investigation of it," the Democratic senator from Massachusetts said yesterday on NBC's "Today." "I have a very close friend in Massachusetts who talked directly to people who have made that allegation. I don't know the truth of it. I really don't. But I think it needs to be explored, and we need to know the truth of what happened."
    White House spokesman Scott McClellan suggested that Mr. Kerry's call for an inquiry was politically motivated and said it was irresponsible to give credence to the word of Mr. Aristide.
    "I think the absurd accusations that some have chosen to repeat do nothing to help the Haitian people, and they do nothing to help move forward during this difficult period," Mr. McClellan said, adding, "I understand that [Mr. Kerry] is a political candidate running for office."
    Mr. Aristide's claim has irked the leaders of the country hosting his exile, the Central African Republic. They took away Mr. Aristide's telephone yesterday, which he had used to call U.S. media outlets and make his kidnapping claims, and asked him to stop blaming the United States for his departure as they work to get another country to take him.
    "The authorities have already called on Aristide to remain calm, to stop making accusations against America," Foreign Minister Charles Wenezoui told the Associated Press. "We fear that this kind of declaration compromises relations between the Central African Republic and the United States."
    Mr. Wenezoui said the Central African Republic was working to find another country to accept Mr. Aristide "in the days to come."
    "He's already started to embarrass us," Agence France-Presse quoted Communications Minister Parfait Mbaye as saying about Mr. Aristide. "He's scarcely been here 24 hours, and he's causing problems for Central African diplomacy."
    Many Democrats, however, continue to push Mr. Aristide's case.
    Mr. Kerry's daughter Vanessa said at a campaign stop for her father in New York on Monday that the Bush administration "just helped overthrow, basically overthrow a democratically elected president."
    Mr. Kerry declined yesterday to dispel that statement on ABC's "Good Morning America." Asked whether he agreed with his daughter, Mr. Kerry replied, "I didn't say that," but added that the Bush administration "empowered the opposition, the insurgents" by allowing the situation in Haiti to deteriorate.
    Mr. Aristide was re-elected in 2000 in elections that were condemned by the United States, the United Nations and the Organization of American States as corrupt. According to the CIA and international human rights groups, Mr. Aristide never abandoned the country's 200-year practice of political violence and assassination.
    The former Haitian president also has been criticized for advocating "necklacing," a method of public execution in which a tire is soaked in gasoline, put around a person's neck and set on fire.
    Rep. Barbara Lee, California Democrat and co-chairwoman of the Congressional Black Caucus' Haiti Task Force, said she will use a hearing today of the Western Hemisphere subcommittee of the House International Relations Committee to explore the idea that Mr. Aristide was the victim of "what was effectively a coup d'etat supported by the Bush administration."
    "All we are trying to discover is exactly what happened," Mrs. Lee said.
    Sen. Rick Santorum, Pennsylvania Republican, chalked up Mr. Aristide's comments as an attempt to "save face" and found it "amazing" that Democrats "buy this nonsense."
    "Whether he was asked to leave, [as] he certainly was by a lot of different governments [or] whether he was helped in that process

21. Obi-Wan McCartney

Aug 17, 1999
    Kerry kid blasts Bush over Haiti

Daily News Wire Services

STONY BROOK, N.Y. - Taking a page out of her father's campaign playbook, John Kerry's youngest daughter yesterday criticized the Bush administration for its handling of the crisis in Haiti.

"I believe this administration just helped overthrow, basically overthrow, a democratically elected president," Vanessa Kerry, 27, said during a campaign stop at Stony Brook University of the ouster of Jean-Bertrand Aristide. "We basically, in our silence, allowed him to be deposed."

At a debate Sunday among Democratic presidential candidates in New York City, John Kerry said Bush's actions were "late, as usual." Sen. John Edwards, his chief rival, agreed.

Kerry's daughter, a third-year Harvard medical student, said she is taking time off from school to work on her father's campaign. She fielded questions from about two dozen students.

A poll out yesterday showed Sen. Kerry with a large lead on Edwards in New York's primary, one of 10 primaries set for today nationwide.

The poll from Marist College's Institute for Public Opinion had Kerry leading Edwards 69 percent to 15 percent, among likely Democratic primary voters. The Rev. Al Sharpton was at 5 percent and Ohio Rep. Dennis Kucinich was at 2 percent.

22. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Put your helmets on Kerry-ites and head for the dugout. The carpet bombing is about to begin.

23. Obi-Wan McCartney

Aug 17, 1999
    Fed Says Economy Continuing to Expand

Email this Story

Mar 3, 2:10 PM (ET)

By JEANNINE AVERSA

(AP) Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan addresses the Economic Club of New York Tuesday, March 2,...
    Full Image

WASHINGTON (AP) - Factories hummed and consumers kept cash registers busy in the first two months of this year, fresh evidence that the economic recovery is moving ahead, according to a Federal Reserve report released Wednesday.

"Economic activity continued to expand in January and February," the Fed said in its latest survey of business conditions around the country. However, on the jobs front, "employment has been growing slowly in most Federal Reserve districts," the report said.

Factory activity rose in 11 of the 12 regional Fed districts, good news for America's manufacturers, who were hardest hit by the 2001 recession and have struggled mightily to get back on firm footing. In the Fed's Cleveland region factory activity didn't go up, but rather held steady, the Fed survey said.

Consumer spending on general merchandise rose in most of the Fed's regions except for St. Louis, which reported a slight decline.

(AP) Consumers boosted their spending by a solid 0.4 percent in January, a fresh sign they are keeping...
    Full Image

Strong or strengthening sales were reported for the New York, Richmond and the Dallas regions. Sales growth was moderate in the Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago, Minneapolis, Kansas City and San Francisco districts. Retailers in Cleveland said sales met or exceeded expectations. In the Atlanta region, sales moderated a bit in February but were up from the same month a year ago, the Fed said.

However, it said that nearly all regions reported slower auto sales in January and February compared to a year ago.

Activity in the service sector also expanded in January and February. Boston and St. Louis, for instance, saw stronger demand for information technology services.

The report, dubbed the Beige Book for the color of its cover, will be used as a basis for discussion when central bank policy-makers meet on March 16.

Most economists expect the rate-setting Federal Open Market Committee to hold rates steady at a 45-year low of 1 percent at that meeting.

Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan on Tuesday said that extra-low short-term interest rates eventually will have to go up. He gave no clue when.

Since last June, the Fed's main lever to influence economic activity, called the federal funds rate, has been at 1 percent. Near rock-bottom short-term interest rates have helped motivate consumers and businesses to spend and invest, an important factor to lift economic growth.

Some economists believe the Fed will start to push up rates this year. Others don't believe higher rates will come until 2005.

24. Obi-Wan McCartney

Aug 17, 1999
    Campbell won't seek re-election
    By Mike Soraghan
    Denver Post Washington Bureau

Post file / John Epperson
    U.S. Sen. Ben Nighthorse Campbell, R-Colo., in a Jan. 7 photo.

? GALLERY: Campbell with Bush
    ? GALLERY: Campbell with Cheney
    ? GALLERY: Campbell in bronze

WASHINGTON ? U.S. Sen. Ben Nighthorse Campbell of Colorado, facing failing health and an ethics investigation into an alleged kickback in his office, announced today he will not seek re-election this year.

Campbell, 70, the only Native American in the Senate, was hospitalized Tuesday night, his second visit to the hospital in as many weeks. Last week, he was diagnosed as having severe heartburn, but in his statement today announcing his retirement from the Senate, he cited his bout with prostate cancer.

?After a great deal of soul searching and reflection I have decided not to seek re-election to the United States Senate,? said Campbell in a written statement.

?After spending another night in the hospital, I realize that deteriorating health may hamper my ability to serve. Doctors have assured me that after treatment for prostate cancer, the recovery rate is 98%. But, I believe Coloradans deserve a 100% guarantee of service.?
    Advertisement

His statement did not cite the ongoing ethics investigation, triggered by an accusation by former Campbell staffer Brian Thompson that the senator?s former chief of staff, Ginnie Kontnik, inflated his paycheck in 2002 so that Thompson could give her $2,000. Kontnik acknowledged the payment, but said it wasn?t wrong because it was a reimbursement.

Kontnik said Campbell approved the reimbursement verbally though he may not have ?technically signed off on it.?? Campbell said he knew nothing about it.

Campbell?s decision to return to his Ignacio ranch after fulfilling his term set off a political earthquake in Colorado and left the race for his Senate seat wide open. CAMPBELL BOWS OUT

Click here for Sen. Campbell's website.

Click here for Campbell's campaign website.

Click here for the website of the U.S. Senate.

Millionaire software Rutt Bridges, a Democrat, jumped into the race Sunday, leaving him now the best-financed candidate in the field. Colorado Springs educator Mike Miles, Denver lawyer Brad Freedberg, Larry Johnson of Boulder and Liz Baker of Boulder were already in the running on the Democratic side.

But political speculation will quickly fall on Republican Gov. Bill Owens, Rep. Mark Udall, D-Boulder, and Rep. Scott McInnis, R-Grand Junction.

Owens put out a statement shortly after Campbell?s announcement saying, "Ben Nighthorse Campbell is a Colorado legend. He has served the people of Colorado tirelessly for more than two decades. He has never let Colorado down."

?The congressman wants to see how things play out,?? said McInnis spokesman Blair Jones, responding to questions about McInnis?s possible ambitions. JOIN THE DISCUSSION!

With Ben Nighthorse Campbell out of the race, who do you think will win his Senate seat? Share your comments on this story or create your own topics and discuss today's news in or message boards!
    Click here to logon and participate.

You will need to click on the link that says 'Register Your Free Account' to create an account in order to post messages, but you can read all the messages without registering.

Campbell also said:

?I look forward to campaigning for President Bush and the GOP ticket through out the state. Once again, Linda and I send our sincere thanks to the people of Colorado and our friends in Washington.

?To my family, I love you as only a man who grew up without a family can.?

The announcement finds the Republican Party already struggling to hold onto its narrow 51-48 majority in the U.S. Senate, with one Democrat-leaning independent. The GOP hopes to pad its majority by winning some or all of a string of Southern seats where Democrats are retiring.

Campbell was first elected to the Senate in 1992 as a Democrat, then switched parties three yea

25. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    The claim that Kerry supports a strong military is refuted by votes against the Apache, Abrams, B-1, B-2, and virtually every weapons system currently in use. Explain his votes to cut the CIA's budget.

His national security record will be an issue. And if I were the Republicans, the line would be: "We are not questioning his patriotism, we're questioning his voting record."

I understand that, but Kerry's voting record is somewhat complex. In reality, this will hurt him, a the majority of americans don't stop to really dissect the issues. Kerry has supported some increases in defense spending and opposed others; it will be on him to emphasize what he has done to strenghthen the military as opposed to weaken it. You are correct in that the republicans can put out the perception that he has been anti-military, but since he has served in wartime, he is in an exceptionally good place to fend off just such an attack.

The risk? That he will "overexplain things"-and come across as elitist and "stuffy" as a result. I think he's great, but I'm not the one he has to convince.

Peace,

V-03

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.