main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bush

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Runaway_Shadow, Aug 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Runaway_Shadow

Runaway_Shadow Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    Hiya.

I just want to know what people around here think of the guy.

Do you think he's a good president? Or do you think he should never have been elected. Or born for that matter.

Tell me what you think, but keep it nice. Everyone has a diffrent opinion, respect that!

2. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    Although I like Bush.He was'ent the best the GOP's had to offer.

3. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    Bush: Enemy of the liberty of the people.

4. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    What makes you say that, Wylding?

5. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    I have a feeling he means the freedoms he's taking away in the name of "security".

6. Wylding

Aug 13, 2000
    Exactly.

Look into the US Patriot act that was enacted just after 9-11

7. DARTHPIGFEET

DARTHPIGFEET Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2001
    "Although I like Bush.He was'ent the best the GOP's had to offer."

I agreed with that back in 2000 when my man John McCain didn't get the nomination, but Bush is a good president.

"Look into the US Patriot act that was enacted just after 9-11 "

Please give me a break. Would you rather be safe than sorry or have another attack done on American soil??? Sorry but you cannot have things both ways. You cannot have security for this country and not break a few eggs along the way. We are all going to have to sacrifice a few things along the way in order to secure democracy in this country and if that means some people are detained or question on things in order to keep the rest of us safe then so be it. I'll be dammed if I'm going through another Sept 11. I would rather go through multiple root canals.

8. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I suspect someone will now trot out Benjamin Franklin's quote about liberty and and freedom.

9. Wylding

Aug 13, 2000
    I'd be happy to oblige KnightWriter

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

10. Wylding

Aug 13, 2000
  11. DARTHPIGFEET

Jan 24, 2001
    Yeah sure and Ben Franklin was right in everything he ever said.

Your quoting a man from another time and another situation much different from the one we are facing now. First off were not giving up any essential liberty here folks. Your not being deprived of life, liberty or pursuit of happiness. Tell me an essential liberty were giving up here? As far as I know I and millions others in this country can still go outside and go to work and live a normal life since this US Patriot act was implemented. How about you?

Am I supporting marshall Law? No but I am in favor of EXTRA security measures to be implimented to make it harder for Terrorist to do things like Sept 11. How many Sept 11 will it take before you learn your lesson??? 2, 3, 10. Give me a number.

12. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

Libery and freedom are the same in any age and time.

13. DARTHPIGFEET

Jan 24, 2001
    Yes they are but where are they being destroyed in this case??? Please enlighten me of the GREAT INJUSTICE you claim is happening to me and others in this country. Please tell me.

14. Kuna_Tiori

Kuna_Tiori Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2002
    I partially agree, but at the same time I do think that the natural rights granted to us by the Bill of Rights cannot be infringed on for any long periods of time, let alone forever.

However, it is not explicitly stated in the Constitution that the government has no right to do things like tap into people's telephone convos.

BUT I do favor a broad interpretation of the Constitution and the government's powers, since it's impossible to adapt to changing times with a strict interpretation.

BUT at the same time I don't like Bush's new policies much.

BUT I do realize its necessity in these dangerous times.

BUT I realize that if we ever let our guard down the terrorists will strike, but if we don't let our guard down our rights will be suppressed forever. So it's a catch-22. I'd rather let our guard down, just a little, in a year or so. Or maybe earlier.

My ambivalent feelings about this matter aside, I don't like President Bush much. It's not really his intelligence that bothers me so much as his supposed incompetence, his policies, and so forth. Basically, he's not doing a good job.

15. Wylding

Aug 13, 2000
    Yes they are but where are they being destroyed in this case??? Please enlighten me of the GREAT INJUSTICE you claim is happening to me and others in this country. Please tell me.

Read the link I posted. Then come back and let's continue to talk.

16. DARTHPIGFEET

Jan 24, 2001
    This is mainly talking about detaining and arresting illegal aliens and people who stay in this country past there visa time.

If you recall several of the highjackers on board the planes which hit the WTC and the Pentagon on September 11 were hear illegally or were here past the time they were supposed to leave. Also several of those detained for going past the time there visa expired were linked to terrorist cells.

So the US Patriotic bill is protecting us from these individuals who first off are here in this country illegally and it's stepping up the enforcement which before Sept 11 was a passive enforcement on rules which were on the books but lightly enforced.

I see no one still hasn't stepped up to the plate here and given me a legitimate reason of how our basic rights and liberties are being violated here. The clock is ticking and I'm still waiting. Oh and I read your link and it hasn't shown me a thing other than your typical concerns from several civil liberty groups which I don't like and listen to anyway. Give me a more moderate view point on this and I might change my mind but the people who wrote this thing you linked are way out there in my view.

If you notice on the first page they wrote the same paragraph twice. I don't know if that was meant to shock me, and if it was then it didn't work.

17. Wylding

Aug 13, 2000
    I see no one still hasn't stepped up to the plate here and given me a legitimate reason of how our basic rights and liberties are being violated here. The clock is ticking and I'm still waiting.

I see you still have not read the link I posted. Read it.

18. DARTHPIGFEET

Jan 24, 2001
    Read it and wasn't convincing in the least.

I read all 5 pages to be exact and really this document first is giving and dishing out worst case What if's. What if's don't fly with me and never will. All I know is I'm basing my opinion on fact that as of right now August 24, 2002 almost a year after this US Patriotic bill was passed it hasn't done more good than harm or harm than good. It's there now and notice we haven't had a single attack since. We took the battle to those SOB's and we haven't been attacked (knock on wood) we have stepped up security in this country and no longer will we allow certain individuals in this country to hide behind the blue tape and broadness of the laws in this land to hurt us again.

I'm all for it 100% and as far as I'm concerned keep it in place for the next 5 years. I read the whole thing and it didn't scare me in the least.

Look at it this way. The F.B.I., C.I.A and other groups have enough to do already. They are out to track and find those who are not covering their tracks well,and those who are slipping through the intelignece paperwork. They are not looking for everyone.

19. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Darthpigfeet could you please cool down a bit, relax it's just a discussion not the end of the world...

Maybe Bush was a good president, I dunno, he gave no impression at all in International relationship.
    That's the reason why non-Americans detest him

20. Wylding

Aug 13, 2000
    Read it and wasn't convincing in the least.

Then I place you with Bush: Enemy of the liberty of the people.

21. DARTHPIGFEET

Jan 24, 2001
    "could you please cool down a bit, relax it's just a discussion not the end of the world..."

Maybe you should tell that to the civil liberty people who are screaming bloody murder. I'm just fine but I have yet to hear any convincing example or argument which would show me rights are being violated here.

"Then I place you with Bush: Enemy of the liberty of the people"

Thank you for the honor. (rolls eyes) Maybe you should cool down and take a chill pill. However this is nothing new on this board. I'm always singled out for my opinions. I'm used to it. I guess you will be calling me a nazi next right?

22. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    I'm not a big fan of him, but that's mostly beacause I disagree with a lot of Conservative Republican views. Such as abortion, abstinence-only sex ed, gun control.

23. DARTHPIGFEET

Jan 24, 2001
    "I'm not a big fan of him, but that's mostly beacause I disagree with a lot of Conservative Republican views. Such as abortion, abstinence-only sex ed, gun control."

Your right and that is why I ripped up my Republican membership card. That is why I'm a lonely independent who want's a middle groud in politics in America that will not happen in my lifetime.

I agree in a womans right to choose, I endorse abstinence but I have the sense to know the following. "Sex Happens". I'm anti-gun through and through and the sooner the second ammendment is done away with the better.

24. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    Yes, I endorse abstinence too, but since not all teens are going to choose it no matter what, they need to know about birth control methods. And I am very much anti-gun.

25. EnforcerSG

EnforcerSG Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2001
    My opinion of Bush, we really traided up.

Imagin if the democrates were in the white house when 9-11 happened. We would have fired a few missles at Afganestane and that probably would have been it. Not to mention that since there would have been 9 years strate of democrates in the white house and multiple attacks from Bin Laden, many people would blame them for doing nothing to prevent 9-11, and they would probably lose allot of votes over that, if the public remembers come election day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.