main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:VIC Bush's intentions now clear: Or why PoT doesn't want to be in this country anymore.

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Protege-of-Thrawn, Mar 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    Today, as many will know, George Bush issued his speech, a final ultimatum to the free thinking people of this world.

His intent was as clear as it is evil: he is intent on destroying the free world.

This is of course, my interpretation of his speech, but your all quiet welcome to read the full transcript of his speech here.

It is a dark day my friends: Huggard is crying in dismay.

The end of the world, is surely nigh.

2. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I wouldn't go so far as to say the end of the world is nigh, but this is not the course of action I would prefer to take. If he had decided to work with the UN instead of against it, perhaps a conclusion to all this might have been reached earlier.

It will be interesting to see if his 48 hour ultimatum holds, especially considering he did not actually say he will attack in 48 hours.

3. Protege-of-Thrawn

Mar 14, 2001
    All in all, as soon as an American soldier begins the march into Baghdad, I'm going to abandon all classes and join the mass walkout to the Menzies lawn.

Then, at 5pm of the day when War breaks out, I will attend the mass rally at the State Libary. I'll encourage any and all people who value this civilisation of ours to come as well.

4. fatboyslim

fatboyslim Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 1, 2003
    38.5 hours remaining and then we will see what happenes, i am so excited i watched bushes whole address and then the debate and everything.

P.S. Go Saddam, huggard and all huggards followers love you.

5. DarkJediTJ

DarkJediTJ Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 26, 2000
    Well you can't argue with Mr. Iraq himself.

He'll shoot off your head if you do... :: Whimper ::

6. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    I'm going to sit-back and watch the prime time show.

7. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    Mixo actually has a point. ;)

Coming LIVE from downtown Baghdad, it's the ultimate reality show...War Survivor!

This is a public war, there's no doubt about it. The US has the resources and the skills to remove Saddam quickly and quietly, before he has a chance to launch anything at anyone. Unfortunately, Bush has chosen to publically finish what was started a decade ago, making a huge media spectacle out of the worst of all human inventions: war. We can only hope that the coalition forces move into Baghdad with low resistance, unwilling Iraqi conscripts need not get killed because of the actions of two bloodthirsty men.

8. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    Exactly Hawk. Also it is too expensive to avoid war now. Too much has been spent on it and American soldiers are all eager for real war experience.

9. Darth_Reign

Darth_Reign Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    I heard on Sky News that the Iraqi diplomats at the embassy in Canberra have been given 2 days to leave the country.

What I found most worrying was the fact that in the Leader of the opposition's address to Parliament today in the debate on Iraq. Mr Howard turned his chair away and then laughed and smiled as poor old Simon Crean poured his heart out. Crean actualy made some valid points in his address, whilst Howard was content to bull**** his way through with fake condolenses for the people of Iraq who must now suffer because he apparently had no other choice.

10. Jet-Eye

Jet-Eye Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2001
    Darth_Reign, you have a habit of popping up unexpectadedly...

Weren't boy George's intentions clear from the start? "This man tried to kill my dad." An argument good enough for war, apparently. Such is the state of affairs today.

Even if Saddam leaves the country Bush will go to war. Even if Iraq say they've disarmed Bush will ask them to disarm. Ridiculous.

While I'm on the subject of ridiculousness, is there anyone out there who thinks Ray Martin's approach to *everything in general* interviewing people is terribly awkward and unconventional: "Mr Crean, should we 'cop it sweet' (with regards to Australia going to war)." 'Cop it sweet?' Who says that anymore, and why is he saying that on national TV in the first place. Well done to Hugh Rimington, the heir to JIM WAYLEY (trumpets blare), for his coverage of the Iraqi crises. /random

And the Iraqi diplomats have been given till Sunday midnight to leave the country, not 2 days, we're not that pushy...

11. Protege-of-Thrawn

Mar 14, 2001
    We are now well and truly aligned with the greatest evil since Nazi Germany. We shall take with them the international fallout of this illegal and evil act, and so we should.

I will not condone the actions of these soldiers "doing their job" because they are complicit in the act if they willingly go along with it.

I will not be pressured into "supporting our diggers" simply because some arrogant right wing snot in Canberra wants it to seem we all support his War.

Our Diggers should know better: lest we forget I have spoken with pride and real deep meaning on many a day, but it seems the one institution who SHOULD never forget, have.

Shame on you Australia, for letting this happen. Shame on you Australia, for pretending you had no choice.

And most of all, shame on you Mr. Howard, for not even having the maturity to listen to Mr. Crean as he for once says what is right, and not what is best for him to say.

12. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    Will be interesting to see how much of a fight Iraq puts up. Will it be over as fast as Bush says? Will Saddam use his hidden arsenal (as he is oblidged to do so) will he just scream and fold? All this and more will be answered soon.

13. Rogue_Product

Rogue_Product Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    I'm with you Kane. "I was just following orders" was no excuse for Nazi war criminals and shouldn't be for our soldiers either. This situation is beyond ridiculous. I will post more later (damned European studies), but thus far, PoT, you're on the right track.

14. lordvaderFF

lordvaderFF Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    "I will not condone an action that will lead us to war"

Had to get a Star Wars refernec in there somewhere.

When you talk about our troops keep in mind one thing, these people have sworn an oath to protect and defend Australia and the Australian way of life. Granted this war has nothing to do with that, but it's NOT the fault of the troops in the field.

The thought of people walking up to our soldiers in the street and spitting on them or calling them "War Mongers" and worse is so repulsive to me it makes me want to chuck.

If we were invaded (granted we are not being invaded, but if we were) these men and women would be willing to put their lives on the line for all of us, and we would be willing to let them do it.

Granted the "Just following orders" line is a load of crap when it comes to killing millions of people in Gas chambers, or torturing families for no real reason, or slicing open a Nun who's in a village you invade just because she's from another country (long gruesome story). But when it comes to normal ground forces, and normal war (if you can call war normal) then these troops do what they are told or they go to jail.

Don't blame the men and women of our armed forces for doing what they have been pledged to do, you will find that most of them don't want to go to war either. Face it, would any of you want to die?

Don't support the war, but don't take out your aggressions on the very people you would hide behind if the battle was taking place over here. You don't have to jump up and down and scream support from the roof-tops, just don't have a go at the individual that's wearing the uniform, they may save your life one day.

Howard is the real one to blame, and I don't think he'll survive past the next election anyway.....at least I hope not.

15. Scott_M

Scott_M Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2000
    I'm with LordVader on this one. I had reservations about the whole "Following orders" thing - no one forced them to join up. But I am now of the opinion that if you want to have a go about the war - give it to Howard. Here is the phone number for his office - 02 6277 7111.

Protesting outside Victoria Barracks is just stupid and spitting on or harassing servicemen and women is a disgrace.

The talk of war criminals does bring up an interesting point. Many believe this war to be a breach of international law. The main protagonists have lawyers that say otherwise (as one would expect). If it was found in fact to be illegal, would that make the participants war criminals - even if they did follow the rules of engagement?

Of course this will never happen. War criminals are mostly if not always, on the losing side.

Except for Vietnam.

16. fatboyslim

fatboyslim Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 1, 2003
    Scott_M how did you get that phone number.

17. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    Exactly our aremd forces joined for a reason and now they are acting in their career capacity. It is what we pay them for.
    Show them some respect.

18. Scott_M

Scott_M Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2000
    Scott_M how did you get that phone number.

On the radio this morning. And since I don't listen to commercial radio, no it wasn't some lame commercial radio prank.

19. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    So it's public knowledge? Good, I didn't want to have to remove it. ;)

20. Protege-of-Thrawn

Mar 14, 2001
    It was also published on the front page of the Chaser over 3 weeks ago, so has almost certainly been removed.

And LordVaderFF, I do not condoning "spitting" on our servicemen and women - this is a repulsive act in itself - but I WILL hold each and every trooper responsible for his or her actions.

The normal war (if you can call war normal) you speak of is in of itself, a isnomer. All war last time I checked, is a vile and despicible gredation on the scale between Humanity and Bacterium. Sitting just below the Bacteria I might add. Unless we now stratify murder, genocide, terror et al into divergent layers of Bad? Perish the thought. If you do this, your one step closer to saying "this one is more okay then this one", which in of itself is abhorrent.

then these troops do what they are told or they go to jail.

Then go to jail. I'd prefer to be interred wrongfully knowing that a nation will not stand for it, then go out and willfully commit murder and war crimes in an immoral, unjust and hypcritical war.

They DO have a choice. ASIO is yet to perfect a foolproof mind control - although through the media and fear culture in this country it is pretty close - and these troops as you say, DO have a choice to determine their actions.

THe arguement of "blind and loyal soldier" does not hold sway. Now I am not focussing my ire on to them solely: I'm well aware of who IS to blame, and they are George Bush, Colin Powell, Donald Rumsfield, Tony Blair, John Howard, Phillip Ruddock, Alexander Downer, and last but not least - one of my former heroes - Major General Peter Cosgrove.

These people have unilaterally decided that their "coallition of the witless" will decide as an executive the fate of nations, against the will of the people, in the final act of pervision to this system that was once Democracy.

But Soldiers share in their own way, in the guilt of the crime, if they willfully ALLOW themselves to be used as weapons by these fools.
    Gung Ho Americans writing "Fuque the French" on their bombs and the like disgusts me. Many troops are looking to this as a "chance to go and kill some terrorists".

Now, I hope this is not the case for our Diggers, but it may well be. The point remains, they will be complicit in War Crimes if they do not exercise their free will and decide War is NOT alright. That a DEFENSE FORCE is NOT ever used for attack, NEVER used offensively, and should NEVER partake in an invasion.

I have the greatest respect for our troops: many know of my love of Cadets, and my willingness to join the Reserve. Why? Because I believe strongly in the ethos of a DEFENSE force, people who - as LVFF says - will put down their lives in the ultimate sacrifice to protect US.

I love them for that. I respect those who have fallen doing exactly that in Wars past, I hold strong to the creedo "Lest We Forget...
    I am only saddened, that our executive and many of our people, do not also remember the same message.
    And finally, that our servicemen and women - those to whom this creed is an integral facet of identity - have lost sight of what the creed actually means. Honour their sacrfice, defend the peace they fought for: and never spit on their memory by fighting for all the forces of evil that they fought back in the times past.

21. DarkJediTJ

DarkJediTJ Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 26, 2000
    Kane I don't know where you got that recording but I must say that your genuien translating of the true text is the greatest thing i've heard so far.

22. Protege-of-Thrawn

Mar 14, 2001
    I live to serve the truth, young one.

The truth no one else can here, but is said all the same.

23. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    Protege Of Thrawn, you haven't told these people the real reason you are against war in Iraq. I seriously do think that you support Saddam Hussein's regime, and I am not just saying that, I mean it. Yours and his ideologies are both compatible the way things look.

You yourself told me about all the apparent good things he has done for the Iraqi people, and how he was justified in destroying Kurdish opposition.

What do you have to say to that?

24. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    Whilst I allow everyone to have a point of view, regardless of what it is, I do think you're overreacting a bit here, Marvin. Those of us who know Kane are fully aware of his political idiosyncracies and doubt that he wants anything other than peace. Of course, I'll let him speak for himself, but I for one don't believe that our favourite left-wing nut would put his support behind a totalitarian regime that was quite "unfirm" and caused the suffering of Iraqi citizens.

25. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    I am upset that the World Cup final may not be televised!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.