main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Busted!!!

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Rex_Karrde, Oct 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rex_Karrde

Rex_Karrde Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    I don't know if you guys heard about this, but is Damn Funny. Busted!!!

I hope he enjoyed the money.

2. BobaBen

BobaBen Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    Dude you are so not a geek at all

3. JediWarrior

JediWarrior Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 7, 2000
    And I'm sure you never read a single spoiler on the internet that was derived from what he did. And I don't believe he actually sold the material for money, did he? It was my understanding he did this 'for the fans'. :

4. Rex_Karrde

Dec 7, 2001
    OK BobaBen, all my friends, co-workers plus not counting the CPD (Chciago Police Deparment) and costumers; consider me a GEEK.

JediWarrior
    And I'm sure you never read a single spoiler on the internet that was derived from what he did. And I don't believe he actually sold the material for money, did he? It was my understanding he did this 'for the fans'. :
    One thing, I'm a "SPOILER FREAK".

I allways do **** for the fans (my friends can testify for me), and NEVER got caught. I just tought is was FUNNY. In a way I feel bad for him.

5. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    "If convicted as charged, Foley would face a maximum prison sentence of seven years and four months, Haakenson said."

So, he steals stuff from Lucasfilm so he can hear and see parts of Episode II a couple months early. Looks like he might be seeing Episode III four or five years late.

Sucker. :D

6. Rex_Karrde

Dec 7, 2001
    [face_laugh] LMAO [face_laugh]
    Sithman, you crack me up.

7. BobaBen

Mar 17, 2002
    I retract that last statement

8. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    I'm a Geek, but I hope they fry his ass. Stealing is stealing...and we're not talking a couple little things here and there...we're talking HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS worth of stuff. And for what? Bragging rights? Personal collection? I don't think so. The amounts of items and types of items in the list seem to go above just "thrill seeking". This guy's scum that betrayed the trust of his employer. I mean:

Nineteen CD-ROM discs containing the entire restricted library of sound effects created during the past 25 years for use in the "Star Wars" films, with an estimated "collectible value" of $95,000.
    More than 2,000 high-quality digital images from "Episode II," valued at $125,000.
    Hundreds of video files of "Episode II," from concept shots to final clips, valued at $100,000.
    About 113 storyboard images - or sketches outlining scenes from the film - with handwritten notes by Lucas, valued at more than $100,000.
    Foley turned over numerous items, including 25 CDs with images of the film, three videotapes of "Episode I" voice-over tests, 115 storyboard image strips and a hard disk drive with downloaded photo images.

And the worst thing is he gave the info to Harry Knowles, whom I've had the distinct displeasure of being in the same room with.

9. BobaBen

Mar 17, 2002
    so do you think this is knowels falt too. bosh

10. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    I have to agree with Dave on this one. If he's such a SW fan, why bother stealing from the "factory" that gave him such pleasure (not to mention a job) in the first place?

As far as Knowles goes... well, I don't blame him personally for what someone else did. He posted a pre-emptive response to all this right after it happened, and overall I don't think he's done anything directly wrong here. However, his AICN site, and others like it, is a big contributor to the exaggerated value of spoilers and exclusive "not for sale" items.

At this point, the argument branches out into a spiderweb of tangents (the online currency of information, bragging rights, putting a value on art... or a portion of art, biting the hand that feeds AND entertains you, etc etc.) and I'm still at work, so I'll stop for now.

-Le Penguin
    "You know that saying about how you always hurt the one you love? Well, it goes both ways."

11. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    I don't blame Knowels, I guess he's a business man.
    But, in the context of what Penguin said...it's scum like him that makes these things so valuable.
    I mean they devalued ivory to stop the massacre of Elephants, therefore ivory was not a commodity to be sold, except on the black market. Now, I'm not comparing the death of Elephants to Lucas Scripts moralistically, I'm just saying that black market exploitation is just that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.