main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit But what does it use as fuel?: Yuuzhan Vong technology - question and discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Gamiel, Nov 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    The question is not about the ability to create energy; the question is about creating the rather high amount of energy needed and sustain it

2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Okay.

That's not a question I care about.

Cheerio.

3. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

They will consume anything and don't even get started on the high amout of energy needed for anything in the GFFA or we have to acknowledge no way Lightsabers, Starships or Blasters could ever work. :p

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I know and that energy output is explained with thinks like hypermatter and phosphorus green liquids; I was actually serious with the question about them eating hypermatter and Malastares liquid fuel even if I asked it in a joking manner
    So ask one you do care about:)

5. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    well you know the whole biotech of the vong is incredibly efficient. Their starfighters eat asteroids for fuel. There are infinite number of asteroids, so they won't run out. I assume that all vong creatures used for basic needs also have a huge food source to keep them going. some living things can go weeks without eating as well.

6. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Years even, like crocodiles, certain snakes and insects.

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do we know what it is in those asteroids that they find essential?

But most of those animals are either hibernating, digesting or in a slow mode. But than again the same thing is probably also true about the vong's gadgets/creatures

8. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Perhaps the creatures just use energy insanely efficiently? They have the ability to either naturally recycle a large percentage of energy, or they function in a sort of perpetual motion? I know that's impossible, but maybe they come close. I mean, a kangaroo stores elastic energy (like a spring) in their tendons, providing most of the energy required for the next hop without using much muscle energy, allowing them to hop for very long periods of time without using much energy, requiring little food and water. It's how they survive in such vast, barren environments. The Vong creatures could do something similar.

It's very easy for me to hand-wave and suspend by disbelief.

Gorefiend and Gamiel like this.
  9. Lord Ctessor

Lord Ctessor Jedi Youngling

Nov 25, 2013
    What do the Vong use for room clearing? Biogrenades? Do they have anything like that?

10. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    do insects even live years??

11. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008

you know i though i remembered some kind of living grenade, but i can't be sure.

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Some, I think

13. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Gorefiend likes this.
  14. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

They can always just bombard it with a Yaret-Kor if need be, though yep there is the plasma eel, which are essentially grenades, also their are certain thrown bugs that will explode.

Been a while, but from what I recall from by Biology classes, the top is termite queens which have a life expectancy of 50.

15. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    [quote=" Been a while, but from what I recall from by Biology classes, the top is termite queens which have a life expectancy of 50.[/quote]

wow, are you serious. You have to wonder what God was thinking on that one[/quote]

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Maybe this is not the right thread but what biotechnology have we seen outside of the vong's and were?

17. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    The reason why snakes/crocodiles are able to go for food without weeks is because of their slow metabolism...they usually consume large qualities of food and then store the energy instead of using it to warm themselves. That's one of the reasons we have to eat regularly--to supply our very demanding "warm-blooded" metabolism. As for insects living long....termite queens live up to 45 years as mentioned. Many species of beetles can live over a year.

That brings me to wondering if the Yuuzhan Vong are "cold-blooded" even though they "look" mammal-like...

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    They could be cold-blooded mammals

19. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    Maybe they have both metabolisms in place, or a mix between the two that allows them to switch depending on the circumstances. Thought I'll throw that in because if they were truly "cold-blooded', all you would really need to do is decrease the temperature enough to kill them off or put them into slow mode. Unless....they have a mechanism that lets them survive temperature extremes..then they can be whatever. :p After all, it would be silly to compare aliens that live on a planet that has a mind of its own to any of our Earthy expectations.

20. mulberry

mulberry Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 20, 2009
    I like to assume that the crab armor thrives on the excrement of the wearer. That seems like the kind of extreme efficiency they would go for.

21. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    :D
    Actually, that is pretty efficient. But...uh..how would that work, exactly? Okay, nevermind. I don't want to know.

22. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
  23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    It has also been suggested that the chemicals the armour "secrets" that can work as antiseptic to help heal wounds on the warrior and itself may also be its excrement or that its work as a "dampening liquid"

25. mulberry

mulberry Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 20, 2009
    Well there are plenty of earth animals that feed on the excrement of other animals, in particular, marine crabs so I don't think this would be as much of a stretch as it initially appears. Humans are not 100% efficient in waste processing, there is nutrition left over. I assume the same goes for Vong.

I imagine it would be like the stillsuits worn in Dune, which capture all the waste and sweat from the person who wears it, and recycle the clean water from it back to the wearer. In this instance, the suit itself would collect the waste and use it for nutrition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.